View Full Version : Removing Speed Changer on Thorens & Pulley Height

Sanc
09-29-2011, 12:45 AM
Hey guys hows it going? I want to remove the metal speed change lever on my Thorens TD-165. For some reason the belt is rubbing against it when its on. I tried removing it but the metal cylinder that's holding the speed changer in place won't slide out. Anyone ever done this before? I have no interest in getting any 45s as I am still in the process of building my initial vinyl collection.

I'm also having trouble lowering my Pulley. I loosened the three screws as instructed on TheAnalogDept but I can't seem to get it to lower. Any suggestions?

Thanks all.

dosmalo
09-29-2011, 08:37 AM
You may try heating the pulley with a hair dryer or heat gun. Once it becomes warmed up, take two spoons and place them on each side underneath the pulley, curved side down. Use them gently to lift the pulley off of the shaft.

Sorry, I realized too late that you are wanting to lower the pulley. My bad!

Sandstrom
09-29-2011, 08:48 AM
Hey guys hows it going? I want to remove the metal speed change lever on my Thorens TD-165. For some reason the belt is rubbing against it when its on. I tried removing it but the metal cylinder that's holding the speed changer in place won't slide out. Anyone ever done this before? I have no interest in getting any 45s as I am still in the process of building my initial vinyl collection.

I'm also having trouble lowering my Pulley. I loosened the three screws as instructed on TheAnalogDept but I can't seem to get it to lower. Any suggestions?

Thanks all.

Hi There, I think you are referring to the 3 mounting bolts, correct? If you want to reposition the pulley on the shaft you would probably have to dismount the moter and carefully press the plastic pulley towards the motor body.

The 145/160 series has a 'clutch' of sorts with an inner brass set screwed body inside of the plastic pulley so you just push the plastic spring loaded part down and loosen the set screw and it's easy to position exactly where you want.

It may be that your problem is the little self adhesive, flocked padding that sticks to the surface of the top plate underneath the speed shift lever has become compressed over time, this is common.

It may be that all you have to do is to replace it with something a little thicker to get the arm back in the correct location. I always thought a small piece of 'female' velcro may work well for this, never had to try it though.

Good luck, Brian

bangsezmax
09-29-2011, 08:52 AM
I personally would try finding a belt with a better fit. Maybe one that's not as wide. If it's rubbing, something is misaligned. Something else to check is the suspension -- it may be rubbing because the platter is sitting too low or too high. AnalogDept should have info on that as well.

As a personal aside: when I first started to get into this hobby, I used to "modify" tables that I felt weren't working properly. As I learned more about how to do proper repairs (and now do it for other people for actual money), I found myself going back over everything I modified and attempting to get the table to operate as designed. So two takeaways that I'll pass along:

1 -- It's better (both in terms of functionality and resale value) to get a turntable back to where it's supposed to be than it is to change it to something else

2 -- If you do change it, try to do it in a way where you could reverse it if need be. And save all the parts!

dr*audio
09-29-2011, 11:36 AM
If the belt is rubbing on the speed change linkage because the belt is too wide, get an original Thorens belt.
If the belt is riding too low on the pulley, it may be that the suspension springs for the platter need to be adjusted for the correct height and play. The platter should float near the top of the chassis' movement. Lift up on the platter. If the chassis moves up more than 1/8" it needs the springs adjusted. You adjust then so the platter is dead level, and about 1/8" from the top stop.

Sanc
10-03-2011, 01:06 AM
So I just figured out how to remove the speed lever. The problem I was having was not due to the suspension, it was due to the motor being too high which was causing the belt to go too high on the sub platter and once turned on the belt would go crazy on the spindle moving up and down it sometimes falling off. Lowered the motor a little and not a problem at all anymore.

What you need to do to remove the speed lever. All I needed was a leather-man w/ a knife and phillips head.
1. Unscrew the one phillips head screw holding the metal spring-wire in place that keeps the tension and pressure on the speed lever in place. Remove that spring-wire thing
2. Flip table, securely of course.
3. Take a sharp object, knife on a leather-man/pocket knife is perfect and take a look at the washers on the bar that holds the speed lever in place on the top shelf of the table. work the knife in to snap them out. These are what gave me difficulty when I looked at it first time. I didn't see that they are in a little notch in the bar which disallows you from sliding the bar out. There are 3 washers, two blacks and one silver. The blacks are the ones you snap out. Not too difficult to do, just be careful.
4. Slide the bar out, remove the metal pole connecting the speed lever to the 33/off/45 dial underneath, and the speed lever itself. Now all you have left is the metal pole/arm left.
5. Very carefully, jiggle/twist/etc the metal pole out of the slot in the speed adjuster underneath.

And that's it. Success.

bob06
10-03-2011, 04:40 AM
I remove all the speed changers on my thorens TT. Since I don't play 45s Its no big deal to me. It also cuts down on unwanted noise. :thmbsp:

Sanc
10-03-2011, 08:43 AM
I remove all the speed changers on my thorens TT. Since I don't play 45s Its no big deal to me. It also cuts down on unwanted noise. :thmbsp:

Yep I noticed that immediately. I'm in the same situation, no 45s so why have extra hardware that just contributes to the undesirable? I was getting so aggravated when I first tried to remove it, those damn washers!

bob06
10-03-2011, 06:33 PM
Yep I noticed that immediately. I'm in the same situation, no 45s so why have extra hardware that just contributes to the undesirable? I was getting so aggravated when I first tried to remove it, those damn washers!

Did you get your pulley adjusted?:scratch2:

Sanc
10-03-2011, 09:16 PM
Yep, lowered it a little. Workin great. I think my motor needs to be replaced though, it works but its making an annoying hum even with oil applied.

bob06
10-04-2011, 01:34 PM
Yep, lowered it a little. Workin great. I think my motor needs to be replaced though, it works but its making an annoying hum even with oil applied.

Before you buy a motor try wraping elastic bands around the motor on the top and bottom.( Around the case) Plus a drop of oil on the bottom shaft while your in there. It will cut down the hum and vibrations. :yes: I hope you can see the blue rubber bands in the pictures.:thmbsp: