View Full Version : Yamaha RX830 Receiver/Tuner Problems

jeanieo
10-30-2011, 10:54 AM
I have a Yamaha RX830 Receiver/Tuner/Amp that has been a fine machine for ~20 years. Now starting to short a bit, tuner just has a static sound (so no radio), checked antenna and doesn't seem to be different. Lights when changing from CD to Tuner to LD, etc not always lighting. Contacts dirty maybe?? Is there a way to clean it up or is it time for a change or is there reasonable repair near Fountain Valley, CA?
Also, sadly I had a tired old Fisher tube unit (440T I think) that my husband threw in the trash when I was traveling (not realizing that someone would covet it) and a good high end turntable that met the same fate.

Anyway, Do I need to shop for a new tuner or..... ??? I'm a relative novice, technically (compared to you folks), but a lifelong music addict. Comments/help ??

anytune
10-30-2011, 11:12 AM
First, clean the contacts with DeOxit and give the selector knob and shaft a shot of Faderlube. I had an RX-750 and it occasionally had the same symptom you describe. If the tuner is indeed shot, but the amp section and other inputs are OK, just use a separate outboard tuner. They are inexpensive and readily available at thrifts.

gazman
10-30-2011, 12:30 PM
You probably saw it, but there's a how to use deoxit thread (http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=207005) if that's useful.

jeanieo
12-05-2011, 06:59 PM
Sorry for the long delay, Anytune. I've been limping along with the iPod and a lot of CD's. I will get some Deoxit and try your suggestion. I'm no technician,but can follow directions. Do I need to get inside the unit, or are the contacts just in from the knobs? (stupid question, but.... had to ask.)