View Full Version : Thorens TD-145 vs TD-160

JohnMac
12-02-2011, 10:51 AM
Hi folks.

I've had a 160 for some time. I took it out of service because in this particular system I prefer a table that's at least semi-auto. (And the fact that Thorens seem to be more finicky than my other tables.)

I just came across and nice working 145. Other than the semi-auto feature are there any other differences?

The 160 seems to be the more popular of the two. Any opinions?

John

bob06
12-02-2011, 12:01 PM
They are both the same. They share the same features except the Td-145 is semi automatic.

JohnMac
12-02-2011, 12:17 PM
So I guess the only disadvantage the 145 might have is more mechanical things to maintain.

bob06
12-02-2011, 12:24 PM
So I guess the only disadvantage the 145 might have is more mechanical things to maintain.

Yes. And more electronics.

grateful
12-02-2011, 12:29 PM
The 145 is not semi automatic. It justs lifts the stylus off the record at the end of play. Very simple

bob06
12-02-2011, 06:51 PM
The 145 is not semi automatic. It justs lifts the stylus off the record at the end of play. Very simple

I think 145 is called a semi automatic. It will lift off the record and shut off. A full autoumatic will drop on the record and lift off on the end.

JohnMac
12-02-2011, 09:11 PM
Mine lifts and shuts off at the end of play. To me, that's a handy feature and probably worth whatever added maintenance that it might require.

Has anyone here experienced problems with the auto shut off?

bob06
12-03-2011, 07:55 AM
I don't have a TD-145. But I have a TD-147 same features different tonearm. I have never had any problems with it lifting off at the end.:thmbsp:

bigstereo
12-03-2011, 08:03 AM
I have a 160 Super and I've only played it once for an hour or so since I got it. I don't even know what the the Super means and I don't have an opinion on the the 145 because I've never heard one. All I can say is that this TD 160Super is the most super sounding turntable I've ever heard and is the only reason I still mess with vinyl.

Zingem
12-03-2011, 08:31 AM
i believe the 145 has a different bearing. The later 147 did have the 160 bearing, and from a mechanical point of view resembled a 160super.

Wether the bearing did have that much of a sonic impact I don't know. My only experience on this matter is with a 160 I used to have.
The semi automatic function of lifting the arm and stopping the motor, is about the only kind of automation I render useful. My dual 704 does just that, and I've come to appreciate it a lot.

bob06
12-03-2011, 09:23 AM
The 145 has the same bearing 10mm as the 147 and 160 and the 160 super. The 147 and the super had beefer plinth with thicker bottom plates and factory installed sound proofing. I have both.

bhundu
12-03-2011, 09:39 AM
Yes 145 has TA lift and motor stop. Only difference. Function and mechanism. Read about the motor stop sensor getting out of alignment after a gimble VTA adjustment. There are at least two thread here that describe the easy fix to that.

This is an example of one of only a few possible service differences. A lifter mech and perhaps a cap would be the only others. Always easy, user service.

JohnMac
12-03-2011, 10:14 AM
All good info. Since they are both in very good condition I think I'll stick with the 145.

Off topic but now to select a cartridge. I've been using a Denon DL-160 and just don't care for it. Some describe it as very detailed but I find it too bright and forward for my taste. It has 20-30 hours of "break in" time on it and still not my cup of tea. For some reason I like it better with solid state amplification than with tubes but tubes are my preference.

bob06
12-03-2011, 10:26 AM
Shure V15 Type III, Shure M97xe, Denon DL 110. I found these all work well with the stock tonearms. I,m sure theres others.

bhundu
12-03-2011, 10:28 AM
So do you know how to dial in a new cart? You've installed one on the TP-16 and know how to adjust VTA? Screws/Spacers on hand?

bsabel
12-03-2011, 10:55 AM
+1 on the 145. I haven't had any trouble at all with the mechanics or electonics of mine. One little tip, though, that mystified me when I first got it: unlike the 160, the 145 motor doesn't start when the knob just points at the speed. You have to turn it a couple of degrees past the speed to trigger the motor.

JohnMac
12-03-2011, 11:00 AM
When I set it up on the 160 I think I got everything pretty close. That was awhile ago so I'll have to relearn the process. Thorens seem to be a bit more finicky about set-up than other tables that have or have had.

When I put it on the 145 all I did was use the alignment gauge that came with it and set the tracking force. Sounds pretty bad. I need to go back and learn the proper method.

JohnMac
12-03-2011, 11:08 AM
+1 on the 145. I haven't had any trouble at all with the mechanics or electonics of mine. One little tip, though, that mystified me when I first got it: unlike the 160, the 145 motor doesn't start when the knob just points at the speed. You have to turn it a couple of degrees past the speed to trigger the motor.

That's why I got for next to nothing. The seller said that the motor was bad. I bought it assuming that I would need to find a replacement but...

bhundu
12-03-2011, 11:08 AM
When I set it up on the 160 I think I got everything pretty close. That was awhile ago so I'll have to relearn the process. Thorens seem to be a bit more finicky about set-up than other tables that have or have had.

When I put it on the 145 all I did was use the alignment gauge that came with it and set the tracking force. Sounds pretty bad. I need to go back and learn the proper method.

Yep. Just go all through it again. They use 2mm screws in the headshell if standard.

JohnMac
12-03-2011, 11:20 AM
A while back I bought a set of various sized 2mm screws from Thorens. Oddly, this headshell doesn't have the plate that receives the screws. Just nuts under the slots and they're not 2 mm.

bhundu
12-03-2011, 11:23 AM
A whle back I bought a set of various sized 2mm screws from Thorens. Oddly, this headshell doesn't have the plate that receives the screws. Just nuts under the slots and they're not 2 mm.

Sounds like it's been modified by someone who didn't have 2mm screws. Up to you now. At least it wasn't you who had to make that call. Original headshells are on Ebay if you want.

drillher
12-03-2011, 11:39 AM
Has anybody used the Thorens protractor on Vinyl Engine that has a arc and a grid?

Pio1980
12-03-2011, 11:50 AM
A website suggests the 160 and variants the sub-TOTL examples to own.

carcrazy
12-03-2011, 11:58 AM
My Thorens TD-145 semi-automatic feature doesn't work (since the day I bought it off of ebay). It had been modified a bit with a replaced bottom (heavier), new tonearm wiring etc. It sounds good to me so I never really bothered trying to fix it. It is very sensitive to vibration though so I made a wall shelf for it. I can now do jumping jacks in front of it without skipping a beat.

JohnMac
12-03-2011, 12:29 PM
My main issue with Thorens tables (besides set-up) is the sensitive suspension. That's why mine was taken out of service. One of my systems has a very stable place for a tt but I'm using an ARXA there right now. When I get my 145 set up I may switch them out.

I put the Denon cart back on the 160, that had been set up for it, and it sounds pretty nice. So yes, proper set-up is very critical.

JohnMac
12-03-2011, 12:31 PM
A website suggests the 160 and variants the sub-TOTL examples to own.

What does that site suggest is TOTL? Some like the AT449MLa and others the Ortofon super 30.

JohnMac
12-03-2011, 12:37 PM

Another difference that I noticed on mine is that motor won't run until the tone arm is positioned over the record and the tone arm won't lower until it's in that position.

bigstereo
12-03-2011, 12:40 PM
My Thorens TD-145 It is very sensitive to vibration though so I made a wall shelf for it. I can now do jumping jacks in front of it without skipping a beat.

My main issue with Thorens tables (besides set-up) is the sensitive suspension. That's why mine was taken out of service. One of my systems has a very stable place for a tt but I'm using an ARXA there right now. When I get my 145 set up I may switch them out.

My 160-S same thing. I've since lagged a shelf set up to the wall studs and placed it there. Have not had it playing since before that though so I don't know the results yet.

Fred Fredrix
12-03-2011, 12:48 PM
Has anybody used the Thorens protractor on Vinyl Engine that has a arc and a grid?

That's what I use and it seems to work, the instructions are clear which is good since I'm a relative newcomer to cartridge alignment. Between that and putting in a new set of headshell wires to replace the old thin dirty ones, I noticed quite an improvement.

Br1ck
12-03-2011, 11:59 PM
I have a 147, and every once in a while I'll have a record, usually only one side, that doesn't trigger the auto lift. I like the AT440mla through my all tube system. I don't think it is too bright at all.

Vintage Bert
10-07-2014, 10:46 PM
I love my TD-160. The footstep/footfall issue is super annoying. The number of sites with tweaks ranging from subtle to insane for the 160 is what got me into it. I think the two most universal upgrades are redo the base of the plinth and some basic dampening while watching you don't overload the suspension system.

And I often wished it had an end of record shutoff or return... the annoying tic.tic.tic. pattern of my daydreaming at the end of LP always scares the crap out of me as too the long term fate of needles..

and yes I may have "dozed" of during the dark side of the moon on occasion... just saying.. and.. now I just read the post date of OP... speaking of dozing offf

grillebilly
10-07-2014, 10:58 PM
I own the 146 that has the auto lift. It doesn't always work, so I spent some time adjusting the mechanism that controls when it lifts. I got it to lift later (toward the center) but could not get it to lift in the runout groove.
It has a 440MLa on it. Had to replace the cables and ground wire, other than that it's been a good performer.

PureQuill
10-08-2014, 02:38 AM
I love my TD-160. The footstep/footfall issue is super annoying. The number of sites with tweaks ranging from subtle to insane for the 160 is what got me into it. I think the two most universal upgrades are redo the base of the plinth and some basic dampening while watching you don't overload the suspension system.

And I often wished it had an end of record shutoff or return... the annoying tic.tic.tic. pattern of my daydreaming at the end of LP always scares the crap out of me as too the long term fate of needles..

and yes I may have "dozed" of during the dark side of the moon on occasion... just saying.. and.. now I just read the post date of OP... speaking of dozing offf

There is always the Q Up that you can add to TT without any major modification.
http://www.thequp.com/
$59 on line...:smoke:
Cheers
PQ

wanders
10-08-2014, 03:04 PM
If anybody cares:

On the 145, the tonearm will not stay in the down (on the record) position unless the drive motor is turning. There is a sensor at the base of the tonearm that measures inductance, which changes as the tonearm moves toward the center of the platter. The output of the sensor is sent to a small circuit board that shuts off the motor when inductance reaches a prescribed level. When the power is shut off, the tonearm then pops back up to its resting position.

It's a pretty simple mechanism and not much in the way of electronics. Nothing like more complicated "fully automated" tables. The td 145/160 service manual discuss how to adjust the sensor.

gl1000honda3
10-08-2014, 06:25 PM

I put the Denon cart back on the 160, that had been set up for it, and it sounds pretty nice. So yes, proper set-up is very critical.

I have a slightly modified TD165...We have danced around it.....nothing but clear/uninterupted music...I have owned many TT's and this one makes me very happy...:music:

JohnMac
11-17-2014, 12:22 PM
Shure V15 Type III, Shure M97xe, Denon DL 110. I found these all work well with the stock tonearms. I,m sure theres others.

I just noticed that this old thread was revived recently.

Since my last post a, couple of years ago, I installed a Shure V15 III with a new-in-box original VN35e stylus. However, it sat there in a system that was rarely used. So yesterday I put it in another system in place of a Dual 1229. It sits on a very sturdy stand on a carpeted concrete floor so footfall is not an issue. So far, it plays flawlessly and sounds pretty good. Maybe I should consider doing some modifications. :scratch2:

jgannon
11-17-2014, 01:22 PM
I've got a TD-147. The auto shut-off is tempermental and only lifts up at the end of a record occasionally. I've got an Ortofon OM20 on the arm. Sounds ok, but I'm going to get a JICO SAS for a Shure M91ED and see how things sound with that.

JohnMac
11-17-2014, 01:57 PM
I've been using that cartridge with the SAS on a Dual 1229. I'm going to try it on the Thorens to compare the tables.

jgannon
11-17-2014, 04:03 PM
I've been using that cartridge with the SAS on a Dual 1229. I'm going to try it on the Thorens to compare the tables.

With good results, I presume? Would love to hear your comparison of the tables with the the M91ED/SAS.

JohnMac
11-17-2014, 04:08 PM
Yeah, I find the N91ED to be a great match for the Dual. I'll report back when I get a chance to try it on the Thorens.

jgannon
11-17-2014, 04:25 PM
That would be great. I read that on AK member put a JICO SAS on his Dual 1019, and felt it was ideal for LPs in great condition, but was a little unforgiving with older LPs that might have some surface noise, etc. Did you have this experience as well?

I also heard that cart set-up and alignment is a little tricky with the cart and that has to be zeroed in for best results.

JohnMac
11-17-2014, 04:30 PM
I use the SAS on my better, newer records and prefer an EVG for older LPs. The SAS is more detailed and puts everything, including surface noise, more "in your face". It's nice to be able to swap them according to the record condition and type of recording.

I haven't found any difficulty in setting up the cart on the Dual. It seems pretty forgiving to me. It may be a different story on the Thorens though.

jgannon
11-17-2014, 07:19 PM
I use the SAS on my better, newer records and prefer an EVG for older LPs. The SAS is more detailed and puts everything, including surface noise, more "in your face". It's nice to be able to swap them according to the record condition and type of recording.

I haven't found any difficulty in setting up the cart on the Dual. It seems pretty forgiving to me. It may be a different story on the Thorens though.

Gotcha. That's exactly what he was saying.