View Full Version : JVC JR-S100 Receiver, info needed

mrGrosvenor
06-11-2005, 12:03 PM
Hello,

I recently bought a JVC JR-S100 receiver and Im looking for some information and average opinions on this receiver or similar from JVC. My guess is that the receiver is late seventies...?
I think it has got awesome signal meter lights, on the pics they look blue but in reality its more like a mixture of green and blue, its like a neon light...and the most beautiful I ever seen. I do like Pioneers fluoroscan but hey this is something special :banana:

regards Grosvenor :)

http://img175.echo.cx/img175/9653/pict00086lu.jpg

http://img175.echo.cx/img175/9171/pict00073tu.jpg

bully
06-11-2005, 12:44 PM
1976-80, 20 wpc, $300.
I had a newer JR-S501 TOTL model that sounded great. I heard several JVC receivers in the early 70s, and they were well built and were very nice receivers.

Brian
06-11-2005, 01:28 PM
I have a JR-S301 that is 60 watts/channel but I think they rated the power very conservative. It is not my favorite sounding or looking receiver BUT IMHO better sounding than many of the units preferred by some of the members. I find the bass to be tight but just a shade too punchy for me. This aspect for most is a BIG plus so they why it does not make my favorite list is probably why for many it will. The mids theough my Advents and Bozaks are a little less lifelike and the high end somewhat harder than should be. The highs probably will be liked by most. This is compared to my separates system and not other receivers. JVC had a unigue approach to its shot at becoming a respected member of the mid-fi audio line with the design and S.E.A. I like the layout of the x01 sereis better than the later x00 series with the sloped panel and wish someone would have mandated ALL companies be required to have the S.E.A. equalizer that with cautious use does not destroy the sound as most tone controls do.

When I got mine it sounded very good and when I decided to keep it I had a tech go over it. He "touched" it up - suspect the DC offset, etc. and cleaning the controls since no parts were replaced. It sounded even better.

A caution: the printing on the facia is prone to wear, most have had the markings rubbed off at least under the volume control that I have seen. If yours is good, slip the knobs out so they do not contract the faceplate and when using the controls keep your hand away from the surface.

All-in-all a really nice receiver and an excellent find.

Is that a photo of your actual unit? I don't remember ever seeing 1 with rack handles (either the x00 or x01 sereis). Does anyone else have a rack handled x01 or x00? You may have a unigue and somewhat rare unit.

While not a high power receiver person, the bigger 501 I suspect I'd buy if I found 1 locally.

mrGrosvenor
06-12-2005, 12:33 PM
Is that a photo of your actual unit? I don't remember ever seeing 1 with rack handles (either the x00 or x01 sereis). Does anyone else have a rack handled x01 or x00? You may have a unigue and somewhat rare unit.

Hello Thank you for this interesting information :)

About your question...
those rack handles are not original, previous owner did that, as well as covered the black plastic knobs, front side panels where handles are attached, with some kind of Aluminium Tape...I havenīt seen an original unit so I cant tell which one looks better...

Would be cool to see some scanned old ads for these JVC receivers...I always love reading and looking at old vintage HiFi ads :D If anyone got some ads, sales brochures or manuals for these JVC receivers, please let me know.

Kind regards Grosvenor :)

http://img24.echo.cx/img24/6995/handles6sp.jpg