View Full Version : Got a good one for speaker id!

amcdrew01
02-24-2012, 08:38 AM
Hey, folks. Well, I don't post much at all, but I'm always stopping in here at AK. I'll try to be a better contributor/sharer from here on out....:)
I'm a SERIOUS collector/appreciator/reseller in the Northern Va. area and have met quite a few fellow AK'ers through my audio adventures....If you're in the No. Va. area and would like to get together, or start a Vintage Audio Club- LET ME KNOW! :)

OK, check out these cool little funky "DIACOUSTICS" speakers and let me know if anyone's ever heard of these?? The dimm's are: 21 3/4" H, 7 1/4" D, 13 1/2" W. Woof/Mid/Tweet are 8", 4", 2" respectively. The woofer's surround isn't butyl rubber (polyprop?) with no rot and is like-new/soft and supple. All 3 are mounted in cast steel baskets/frames and are sealed with putty. I would be surprised at what the crossover, if any, looks like? They weigh ~15 pounds each, so they're not lightweight, even though they look that way.
At first, I thought they were pretty cheap, but they're actually pretty sweet. I got them for free along with a near-mint JVC JR-S61W receiver from the original owner that bought them new together in late 70's from a store in Minnesota, or Michigan? I sold the little JVC but mildly regret it (as I do with a lot of gear I eventually cycle through), for it was a very crisp, clear, clean receiver.
I've pictured them alongside my ADS L780's for size comparison.
They sound VERY GOOD and sound better when given a tad more power (90-92db @ 1W range?).
Hope that's enough for now, but let me know if you need any more info.

bakes
02-24-2012, 11:56 AM
Curious - does the manufacturer code on the back of the woofer start with "117"? The pincushion pattern on the polypropylene looks similar to that on the woffers in my Shahinians.

Neat find!

amcdrew01
02-24-2012, 01:00 PM
Don't know- I haven't taken it apart and probably won't since everything's puttied in.
I can't find ANY info about Diacoustics, and that's actually a first for me in the years that I've been collecting/listening to vintage gear!:scratch2:

Nat
02-24-2012, 02:35 PM
Are you confident the woofer hasn't been replaced? The rest of the speaker looks rather older than the woofer.

cjpremierfour
02-24-2012, 02:44 PM
Are you confident the woofer hasn't been replaced? The rest of the speaker looks rather older than the woofer.

The woofer looks like an older Realisitc 8".

amcdrew01
02-24-2012, 03:06 PM
AK ROCKS....The woofer's been ID'd! Check out the pic's. I re-inspected the putty and saw that there was actually 2 different substances: a rock-hard one and then the softer putty around the woof.
Sure enough! It's a good ol' RS 8"! Thumbs-up for Nat & cjpremier!!:thmbsp:
Also, nothing like really pink fiberglass damping material! :banana:

Now, there's just the issue of who/what were "Diacoustics"???

avguytx
02-24-2012, 03:15 PM
Those have what looks like the same basic little cone tweeters that my RtR's had in them before I swapped them out for Vifa soft dome tweeters.

bowtie427ss
02-24-2012, 05:33 PM
Now, there's just the issue of who/what were "Diacoustics"??? I'd wager a good chunk that they were a "house brand".

westend
02-24-2012, 09:04 PM
Speaking of brands, Bowtie, what's up with the Minn Kota sig? Are you going fishing?

Wolverine
02-24-2012, 09:57 PM
I'm a SERIOUS collector/appreciator/reseller in the Northern Va. area and have met quite a few fellow AK'ers through my audio adventures....If you're in the No. Va. area and would like to get together, or start a Vintage Audio Club- LET ME KNOW! :)

Welcome to AK from Va Beach

May I recommend you make plans for this get together in May.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=421843

Great bunch of guys and a good time.