View Full Version : AUDIOROMY M-6V6 (little Review)

Jadran
02-24-2012, 03:51 PM
AUDIOROMY M-6V6

Hi folks,
I just wanted to write few words, a little review of my new tube amplifier. When I was searching for any reliable info or review regarding this model it was the mission impossible, so I have promised to myself – once I got it there will be a review, for any confused and potential buyer out there. I already have the little Chinese Meng-Yue that was a big surprise, after the sweet but cold transistor Cambridge and my entrance into the tube world mania :D I was considering another little amp. with the headphone output but since many people where complaining about “noise this and noise that” that even cost much more I’ve decided to go and risk with the unknown. For the price I paid it was exciting “risk”.
Audioromy (what a funny name, “romy” in my language means gipsy LoL) arrived from HK safely within a week, for a bargain price – also negotiated by the honest and reliable seller who kindly accepted my lower price 
Honestly I was skeptical, mostly because there were no traces of information I could find from other owners, and because I had bad experience from Yaqin few months ago, when amplifier arrived DOA with broken tubes, etc., too complicated. But that’s another story and another dealer, so let’s stick to this subject.
AR M6V6 is Class A Integrated and Headphone Amplifier, it accompanies four power tubes 6P6P (6V6 or 6P6C), and pre. 2x6N1, 1x6N3 (auto-bias) Output power is 2x12W on 4ohm (supposedly), headphone output impedance is 32 ohm, Frequency: 20Hz – 30KHz(±1dB), S/N ratio is 90db, Consumption: 100W Amp. is rather heavy with its +7,5kg for the small size of W 216mm x H 130mm x D 200mm.
Design is clean and nice however I’m not so thrilled with the input switch at the back, but oh well, I know there is no perfection in every point, especially not in the price range that hardly cover a rare “funky” NOS tube. But the quality of material is high, and device is tight, potentiometer is strong but easy to turn, and cage is easy to put over the tubes or lift off.

I already have spare 4 Russian famous 6P6C NOS (bought earlier for Yaqin) but still waiting and running this cute little “cigano” with its original Chinese old military stock tubes, vintage ’78. Although have replaced pre. tubes with two Russian 6N23P’s and a GE 5670. It’s been four days since I play this unit in my system, that honestly is crowded with tubes and some might think that it’s not good and will lose some hair when I say that my CD players go to the tube preamps first. That’s how it goes when there are just two inputs on the amplifier and 7 sources. With the C-340 there was no such “problem” with its 5 inputs, but since I jumped into the tube waters there is no way out, just diving LoL
Some might ask about noise, hum of the tubes, or such unpleasant sensations. What noise? :D Well honestly there is a little noise coming out on speakers (headphones) but not before potentiometer is turned on empty at half – 12 o’clock, but that is no issue at all because there is no need to push volume so high, well I certainly don’t.

Audioromy M-6V6 is simply and truly amazing little amplifier, that pushes my 902i Mordaunt-shorties with ease and for the comfortable “noise” never need to push the Step Volume potentiometer behind 9 o’clock. There is that big plus - the headphone output as well. Beyerdynamic dtx710 that I bought recently needs just four-five steps on volume (7-8 o’clock) to reproduce nothing but clean sound with strong but pleasant bass, whether is rock or easy listening music.
Ever since I put my favorite CD’s on I’ve noticed the difference, and with every more hour spent with the amplifier listening to the various music there are more and more surprises coming out. Whether is David Lindley/Hani Naser on “Official Bootleg” where his slide guitar is now cleaner and pleasantly sharp or Apollo 440 in “Children of the future” where I just couldn’t believe my ears that intro is in fact so dramatically powerful? Or their more intensive and rhythmic tunes like Carrera Rapida with the richness and separation of the tones that I didn’t experience with Aria-mini on 4x 6P14P-K that is similar in the power and same S/N. Romy is just better, a lot better, and costs even less! Meng-Yue is very good amplifier to be clear that I was happy with more than a year, it was also a huge step forward and relief of “transistory” sound, but Audioromy is another step, another jump into unknown that I’m glad I did.

cheers :beerchug:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=331740&stc=1&d=1330118903

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=331741&stc=1&d=1330118903

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=331742&stc=1&d=1330118903

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=331744&stc=1&d=1330118903

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=331749&stc=1&d=1330120223

sony6060
01-29-2013, 02:01 AM
I am surprised no one had a comment. Well, I liked your write up.

StevenZ
01-29-2013, 06:07 AM
I'm surprised as well. Good job and glad to see it's working out for you. I've seen the Audioromy amps on a few Chinese audio websites but have been a bit leery.

-Steven

Jadran
01-30-2013, 12:17 PM
Thanks much Sony & Steven, now I'm pleasantly surprised with your feedbacks. :thmbsp:

It's been already a year since my review, time really flies. I did run amplifier all through the last year, then put it aside for some modification. Priority was to put input switch on the front plate, and on-off at the back. But then I found WIMA MKS inside and decided to replace those caps as well, volume pot, and few other things. Narrow interior is not mod friendly, neither the main board, but with all parts I finally collected will eventually begin to work on it. These two posts are certainly a push :yes:

mypopa
02-17-2013, 02:57 PM
I have this amp also. I am using POPE brand 6V6 tubes. 2 7DJ8 and a GE 5670. I really enjoy this amp. I am very interested in your mods when you start. I do not use the headphone jack for my phones. I have a use a headphone speaker adapter from RUSSOUND. I found the sound seems fuller if that's the way to describe it.

goldleaf
02-17-2013, 09:06 PM
Thanks for taking the time to write your impressions. This is not a common amp in this neck of the woods. Glad you enjoyed it. We seem to be having a renaissance of EL84 amps. Before the EL84 (and now 6p14p) and the EL34 derivatives became big in this country, there was a time when the 6V6 and 6L6 and their derivatives were popular. A classic.

kward
02-17-2013, 09:34 PM
I really like the sound of the 6V6, dare I say I like it more than the EL84 :eek:.

dcgillespie
02-17-2013, 09:49 PM
There were (are) a lot of great little 6V6 amps, one being the Grommes Little Jewel amplifier, and there are others as well.

Interestingly, from a study of your circuit board shot, your amplifier appears to be a UL design, although I can assure you it is a class AB1 amplifier, rather than a Class A amplifier.

Thanks for a great write up!

Dave