View Full Version : Line Magnetic Audio 216AI integrated amplifier

psyopwak
03-13-2012, 07:59 PM
I have posted this review to audiocircle.com and here..:music:

I am going to make an amature(ish) attempt at reviewing a tube amp I purchased and have been listening to for over a month by Line Magnetic Audio (LM Audio). Mostly I wrote this because I could find no review of LM Audio products anywhere on the net. This amp in my review is the is the LM Audio 216IA integrated amplifier. I have compared it to a Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum, the Cary SLI80, Musical Fidelity 500 watt and 125 watt SS amps, a McCormack DNA-125 with a Leben preamp and a Parasound A21 and P3 combination among some other combinations less noteworthy. My comparisons were not of the a/b type and not scientific. LM Audio also makes speaker drivers. I had the pleasure to listen to one of their top of the line Class A integrated amps feeding into two single driver speakers recently at my audio dealers home. With LM Audio speakers, Devore speakers and my Vandersteen speakers, LM Audio products sounded tremendous for the money spent on them.

First let me say that the LM Audio amplifier is a Chinese product. It is not like the Primaluna line, which is designed in the Netherlands and made in China. The Line Magnetic Audio company is located in Zhuhai , Guangdong Province, China. I had (wanted) and (intended) to like the Cary or the Rogue amplifier, mostly because I wanted to buy an American made product. In the end, the LM Audio piece that my dealer raved about, sounded better. It has a very quality fit and finish, more that one might? expect from a chinese product. The LM Audio 216IA is a KT88 push pull integrated amplifier. It is Ultra linear and triode switchable. 22 watts per channel in triode, 38 watts per channel in ultra linear. Remote controlled. Bias adjustable with built in meter. 4, 8 and 16 ohm output taps. Point to point wiring used throughout. It comes with a tube cage.

For everyone out there listening to music, let’s face it, we like different things. So I will NOT SAY, this product is better or worse than the ones listed above. But I will write out (share) the qualities I enjoy, and how well this $1875 amp did with them.

I like a neutral sounding amp that falls on this side of warm and also analytical. I like to hear everything that my modest front end will produce. I don’t like muddy bass, but tight and fast handling of the lower frequencies. Deep bass and mid bass sound best to me as natural to the instrument being reproduced. The LM Audio 216IA did this better than the other tube integrated amps I listed. Since I listen to Eva Cassidy, Diana Krall, Natalie Merchant and other female singers like them I enjoy midrange that is not harsh or shrill. The midrange on the LM Audio does not tire in any way. It’s very close to what you’s expect to a live concert, and not what you’d expect from a 2K amp. Next up the tonal range is the higher frequencies. This amp produced an airy high that was sweet sounding, but not too high or harsh. The last bit of enjoyment I get from the reproduction of music from audio equipment is how well it can reproduce the timbre of instruments such as upright bass, piano, violin, acoustic guitar, and saxophone. On many listening sessions the LM Audio amp did this very well and the decay of sound from these various tones was long and natural. There just was no coloration of tone that I could detect. Of course, there is a tube sound to the amp. But since LM Audio base most of their products of the Western Electric designs of old, the qualities of sound just might reflect that old design. It does this without grain, but a grace and accuracy that the better designed amps displayed.

Also this amp has great transparancy. I have had Odyssey, McCormack and Parasound amps that did not do as well at lifting off veils of fuzziness like the 216AI did.

Lastly is the dynamic range of the amp. Well this is what I often FEEL is the excitement of the amplifier and it was FELT with the 216AI. This amp really kicks when needed. The version of “Walking on the Moon” by the Yuri Honing Trio has a rim shot that will ring out like a cannon with a good amp. It does this with the LM Audio 216AI.

Well I guess that is my review for better or worse. Once again I have had the pleasure of taking in some good information on forums like this about audio products and have learned much, so I am not saying this amp is BETTER than others. Just for my taste it is a quality product that sounds great at an affordable price. If anyone is interested in these products I can give you the contact for my dealer in Shaker Heights, Ohio who carries this line.

More pics of LM Audio gear with Devore Fidelity speakers...http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2011/10/20/rmaf-2011-devore-lm-audio/

Art K.
03-23-2012, 10:07 PM
A dealer that I know very well just took on this line and he has never been a supporter of Chinese audio. If what he tells me is correct this line may be one the best buys in high end audio. I will be making arrangements to go over and have a listen next month. We will be using DeVore speakers, Well Tempered Versalex turntable and a load of great LP's!

Good job being among the first to bring that brand to AK.

inperson
03-24-2012, 11:04 PM
What a coincidence! I just received mine this morning. I bought it through a dealer in Beijing (I live in Beijing). I had to wait a while because I wanted one for US power 110-120. I will take it home someday. So far, mine is excellent. BUT mine only has 4 ohm and 8 ohm taps. Pity that, 16 ohm taps would have been nice. Mine was much cheaper. I am guessing due to no import taxes and such for the dealers.

psyopwak
03-25-2012, 08:34 PM
Art K.- I think you are correct, LM Audio is one of the best buys in High end audio (a sleeper) They are a tremendous match to the Devore Speakers. I heard the class A unit with the Devore Fidelity Orangutan O/96 at Don Better Audio in Shaker Heights. It is an outstanding speaker, especially with tubes and vinyl.

Inperson - you have the same amp I picked up. You are REALLY in for a surprise with that amp. I know I was....

Here is a photo of the Orangutan speakers

inperson
03-25-2012, 08:39 PM
Art K.- I think you are correct, LM Audio is one of the best buys in High end audio (a sleeper) They are a tremendous match to the Devore Speakers. I heard the class A unit with the Devore Fidelity Orangutan O/96 at Don Better Audio in Shaker Heights. It is an outstanding speaker, especially with tubes and vinyl.

Inperson - you have the same amp I picked up. You are REALLY in for a surprise with that amp. I know I was....

So far I am really pleased with it. Did you do any tube rolling?

psyopwak
03-25-2012, 09:02 PM
Yes JJ's upfront and plan to roll NOS RCA cleartops and Brimars in the near future. My dealer stated that he is going to roll some Genalex Gold Lions KT88's and tell me what he thinks before I consider them...

He claims the Chinese tubes that come with the amp are the only weak part of it..that is why the JJ's make such a difference.

Art K.
03-25-2012, 10:34 PM

I've seen those lovely apes. I owned DeVore speakers when I still had my setup in the main room of my little house. I've downsized for the small room I have now and am enjoying Harbeth speakers. I believe I will be hearing an LM amp with 3xl's next month. Looking forward to that.

inperson
03-26-2012, 05:41 AM
I want to find some old kt88's but they seem like big bucks. What is the best new production kt88's out there now?

psyopwak
03-27-2012, 01:47 PM
check out tubedepot.com. they will have NOS sometimes

inperson
03-27-2012, 10:58 PM
check out tubedepot.com. they will have NOS sometimes

I am in China so I was wondering about the best current production KT88's. Cheap to buy here than in the US for current stuff.

psyopwak
03-28-2012, 12:14 AM
I would look for one of these...

1. Electro- Harmonix KT88EH matched tubes
2. New Sensor KT88 Gold Lion (a re issue of the famed Genalex Gold Lion KT88 tube)

William

Les Lammers
03-29-2012, 01:31 PM
I am in China so I was wondering about the best current production KT88's. Cheap to buy here than in the US for current stuff.

The Gelenex reissues are very good but I have read that some folks like the
Shuguang/Psvane Treasures more. Perhaps start with the small signal tubes?

I looked at the LM amps and they are very nice. I was interested in the LM 218A but it is not available in the USA. :tears: The driver tubes can be EL34,
KT88, 6550 etc. :thmbsp:

psyopwak
03-30-2012, 05:22 PM
Les,

That is a nice unit you are looking at. I had thought at first the 216AI would not provide enough power for my 86-87 DB sensitivity speakers. But it does do the job.....quite well and sweetly.

crisco
04-03-2012, 11:29 AM
Hi there,
I stumbled across this thread while researching the LM product line. After considering a number of other amps out there, I audtionned and ended up purchasing a LM 211IA EL34. I was impressed with the build quality and more importantly, the sound. Very good value for the $$. Very pure midrange and plenty of power for my purposes.

Ironically, one of the things that impacted my decision in part was the relative lack of information on this product. I'm always a bit leery of magazine-based reviews - especially when the companies are paying for ads in the same issue etc. I ended up going with my ears primarily, and not a bunch of reviews. I'm not saying this is THE way to do it, but I'm happy with what I ended up purchasing - even though my room will likely change the sound somewhat from what I heard in the shop.

At any rate, I'm awaiting the next shipment which is scheduled to arrive in early May along with a set of ASW Cantius 504 speakers (which I also auditionned, paired with the LM). Can't wait for May! I'll be sure to post my thoughts once everything is well broken in.

Will likely roll out the stock tubes from the get-go, as my dealer indicated that these were ok, but could be improved upon quite easily. Maybe try some JJ's in the fronts and for the rear power tubes. I think the amp uses 12xA7's and any EL34 based tubes.

Cheers

psyopwak
04-03-2012, 01:43 PM
crisco,

Congrats I think you will be VERY happy with the amp. The JJ's up front made an impact on mine, the midrange sounded more smooth.

I agree I could not find information on LM Audio and I am glad my dealer called me when he got the line in, and knew I was looking for a sweet tube integrated.

Keeps us posted on the sound and if you roll in some power tubes. Nice selection on the LM Audio piece.:thmbsp:

crisco
04-03-2012, 02:30 PM
Hi psyopwak,

Thanks for the welcome. It looks like the front tubes on the 211 are 2x 12ax7's and 2x 12au7's. I'm not sure what your 216 runs, but did you opt for the gold pin and/or hiperformance JJ's ? I'm new to tubes, so I really have little clue as to how to buy / select tubes.
thanks

inperson
04-04-2012, 04:25 AM
Look at these preamps by Line Magnetic. Aren't they so cool? I would love to hear from someone who has one of these.

psyopwak
04-05-2012, 07:03 AM
I will have to check the boxes of the JJ's but they are NOT gold pins. Dealer installed them before I went to pick up the amp. He tried them and they sounded great. More later..

crisco
04-05-2012, 09:25 AM
Look at these preamps by Line Magnetic. Aren't they so cool? I would love to hear from someone who has one of these.

those are really cool, actually...

crisco
04-05-2012, 09:26 AM
I will have to check the boxes of the JJ's but they are NOT gold pins. Dealer installed them before I went to pick up the amp. He tried them and they sounded great. More later..

thanks...just let me know.
Cheers

guitardave
04-05-2012, 10:55 PM
I have the el34 LM Audio also and am running Genelex Kt77's. They really sound great. I was at Don Better this week and heard the LMAudio field coil speaker. Wow. Driven by the LM Audio 300b integrated, which is a very cool amp.
I cannot say enough about these LM products, and their price points. Really great gear at just silly prices. My LM 211IA was only $1650... Another $50 to upgrade the input tubes, and another $200 for the kt77's. Amazing value!

crisco
04-06-2012, 01:10 PM
I have the el34 LM Audio also and am running Genelex Kt77's. They really sound great. I was at Don Better this week and heard the LMAudio field coil speaker. Wow. Driven by the LM Audio 300b integrated, which is a very cool amp.
I cannot say enough about these LM products, and their price points. Really great gear at just silly prices. My LM 211IA was only $1650... Another $50 to upgrade the input tubes, and another $200 for the kt77's. Amazing value!

Sounds great....did you put gold lions in the input tubes as well?

cableguy
04-08-2012, 06:21 PM

Forgive me if this has been mentioned already, but man this look like Snell/AN designs...nice..:thmbsp:

Art K.
04-17-2012, 11:28 PM
Forgive me if this has been mentioned already, but man this look like Snell/AN designs...nice..:thmbsp:

Tomorrow I'll be getting my ears full with an LM amp, DeVore Gibbon 3xl's and a Well Tempered Versalex with an EMT cartridge...I'll be ruined.

cableguy
04-18-2012, 10:56 PM
Tomorrow I'll be getting my ears full with an LM amp, DeVore Gibbon 3xl's and a Well Tempered Versalex with an EMT cartridge...I'll be ruined.

But what a way to go ;-)

Art K.
04-19-2012, 10:04 AM

Yesterday I spent more than 7 hrs getting my ears full with an LM amp, DeVore Gibbon 3xl's and a Well Tempered Versalex with an EMT cartridge...and I was ruined....fabulous experience, more on that later.

crisco
04-19-2012, 03:40 PM
Yesterday I spent more than 7 hrs getting my ears full with an LM amp, DeVore Gibbon 3xl's and a Well Tempered Versalex with an EMT cartridge...and I was ruined....fabulous experience, more on that later.

now that's a tease!

JohnVF
04-19-2012, 03:41 PM

I'm interested in your thoughts. If you remember, I wasn't blown away by the combination but I really suspect that it was the Rega turntable that I wasn't liking. It wasn't bad by any stretch, just wasn't, well....magical. I had hoped for better and wish I could have heard the combination with a better source. I really like the design (aesthetically) of the LM gear.

Les Lammers
04-20-2012, 01:41 PM
Hi there,
I stumbled across this thread while researching the LM product line. After considering a number of other amps out there, I audtionned and ended up purchasing a LM 211IA EL34. I was impressed with the build quality and more importantly, the sound. Very good value for the $$. Very pure midrange and plenty of power for my purposes.

Ironically, one of the things that impacted my decision in part was the relative lack of information on this product. I'm always a bit leery of magazine-based reviews - especially when the companies are paying for ads in the same issue etc. I ended up going with my ears primarily, and not a bunch of reviews. I'm not saying this is THE way to do it, but I'm happy with what I ended up purchasing - even though my room will likely change the sound somewhat from what I heard in the shop.

At any rate, I'm awaiting the next shipment which is scheduled to arrive in early May along with a set of ASW Cantius 504 speakers (which I also auditionned, paired with the LM). Can't wait for May! I'll be sure to post my thoughts once everything is well broken in.

Will likely roll out the stock tubes from the get-go, as my dealer indicated that these were ok, but could be improved upon quite easily. Maybe try some JJ's in the fronts and for the rear power tubes. I think the amp uses 12xA7's and any EL34 based tubes.Cheers

Good idea. You can't expect the 'best', for your ears tubes, in an amp with that price point.

Les Lammers
04-21-2012, 03:08 PM
I would definately roll tubes after the amp is 'settled in'. There are some very good new production EL34's and KT88's. What will work best for you depends on the rest of your system. Enjoy your amps. :thmbsp:

crisco
04-21-2012, 09:05 PM
I would definately roll tubes after the amp is 'settled in'. There are some very good new production EL34's and KT88's. What will work best for you depends on the rest of your system. Enjoy your amps. :thmbsp:

Well, i've ordered some EH el34 as a first attempt at establishing some sort of reference...pretty inexpensive to begin this experiment with. What would you suggest for some reissue 12ax7 tubes?

Art K.
04-22-2012, 12:51 AM
I'm interested in your thoughts. If you remember, I wasn't blown away by the combination but I really suspect that it was the Rega turntable that I wasn't liking. It wasn't bad by any stretch, just wasn't, well....magical. I had hoped for better and wish I could have heard the combination with a better source. I really like the design (aesthetically) of the LM gear.

Write up is coming soon, John. It was a very, very impressive listening session.

RGA
04-29-2012, 11:15 AM
I'm late to this thread.

I am currently living in Hong Kong where I stumbled across the 219ia (and a dealer that sells most of the line). The 219ia is a jaw dropper in terms of build, and sound quality which excelled on both the Zu Audio 100dbish speakers and the store owners own pair of ATC 150 hard to drive pro monitors.

The CD player from LM sounded excellent (I ended up purchasing it). What I really liked about this tube CD player CD215 is that it sure doesn't seem to be using the tube as any sort of buffer. The treble is very well extended and not the least bit bright and has very solid bass but some nuance. It's as good as any CD player I've heard under $3k - I preferred it to the Shanling and Cayin models I've heard. It looks nothing and it seems jus a standard set of parts - Sony transport with Burr Brown 1792 chip - so whatever they've done to make it sound better than the sum of the parts - they've done it.

The amplifiers are all tremendous build. I am doing the mental math to get the 219Ia.

From a personal perspective and given the small HK living spaces I really don't need a 24 watt SET. But as a reviewer (dagogo) I am somewhat looking for an amplifier that can power most speakers I bring in for review.

Although I really liked the EL34 based model on the ATC - really could dig down in the bass and sounded on the warm side of neutral (where if you are going to lean to a side that is the side to lean IME).

I have speakers - Audio Note AX Twos which I purchased based on the audition in a system with the Jinro and Dac 4 Sig and M9 or M10 dual mono preamp (Jinro as power amp). The AX Two is a dead easy to drive wonderful and absurdly underrated little speaker.

So I am considering the 218ia 3 watt - basically because it's a SET. I have never owned a push pull based tube with the untra-linear and triode options. The 218 845 based amp seems like a mini 219Ia.

I am somewhat tempted to get the 218 mini as a tide me over until I can afford the 219ia. The amps is just so good sounding - my only fear is the expense of running it. Expensive tubes 300B driver tubes, 310A input tubes. Eesh. 845s are not cheap either.

I'm used to my Audio Note OTO - EL84s are dirt cheap and last forever. Having the OTO brought over from Canada and the thing changed over to HK voltage is too expensive. And current AN prices have went way up over the years. So as much as I like them it's simply too costly - their entry level SET is the Meishu at something like $11k. And the 300B was described as "made for old man or Lady music" by the LM dealer here. LOL. I sort of get what he is saying. He heard me playing a trance disc so he was like "no 300b for you" - I was thinking Seinfeld.

He's a great help though and probably why he was leaning more to the 845 and KT 88 and EL34s.

I'm glad to see the brand making in roads in North America - the prices are very attractive for the sound. Apparently they've been an OEM for several well known US, Japan and Italian brands. So is Melody.

psyopwak
04-29-2012, 03:46 PM
RGA

Welcome to this thread!

I am exciting to know that we have one more from China like yourself here from HK to chime in.

Inperson has bought the 216 from Beijing. He lives there.

I have often wondered about the quality of manufacturing in China and Hong Kong since I read an article about the Chinese Audio industry a few years back with some positive comments and not so positive with regard to counterfeit parts and stealing of components. If you can let us know about this, that would be great. Especially with regard to tubes and the Line Magnetic Audio, the company.

With regard to the line, I don't know if the models offered there are the same offered here in the USA. The push/pull model that uses four KT88 power tubes that I bought here in the US, Ohio is the 216iA. It is 22 watts in triode and 38 watts in ultralinear. It is plenty powerful for my Vandersteen 2CE Sig II speakers. I had listened to both the EL34 push/pull amp and the KT88 push/pull but my speakers seemed to like the more powerful KT88 version. (But your Audio Note speakers may not need the additional juice, if they are easy to drive.)

The 218 you are considering seems like a very good choice too. (Again though, if your speakers are easy to drive, either would work- EL34 or KT88)

I really was surprised how much I liked the LM Audio products. I listened to Rogue Audio, Primaluna and Cary which did not sound as good to me as the LM Audio amps. The only other ones that sounded as good, were much more expensive ones from Japan (Leben and Shindo)

I have another combination (Audio rig) that is the Parasound A21 and P3 that sounds good as well, but it is more expensive that the 216ia.

Let us know more from HK with regards to your decisions.....

rahman
05-11-2012, 05:01 AM
Gonna try to swing by HK for a stopover in the next few months. Any suggestions as to which shops to visit to check out melody, LM and other decent chinese kit?

Might also visit Shanghai so any tips for there would be welcome!

Cheers
Adrian

RGA
05-12-2012, 01:58 AM
I would suggest Hit Audio in Hong Kong http://www.hitaudio.com/Contact.htm

That address is useful because it is in a building with 21 floors 18 or so floors are all high end audio shops. But Hit Audio carries LM, Melody, Rogue Audio, Eastern Electric, Almarro and Zu Audio Speakers and their own ATC 150.

Another shop called Elephant Holdings is located on lockhart road in the sleazy Wanchai district (Red light district).

Elephant Holdings Limited
3/F Beverly House
93-107 Lockhart Road
Wanchai
HONG KONG
Tel: 00852 2520 2330
Fax: 00852 2865 6597
Mr Abraham Wong
Mr T H Yu, General Manager
inquiry@elephant.com.hk

it's right near a Mexican restaurant mainly known for Margarita's. Best one's I've had.

They carry a top end Audio Note system (and cheaper ones) as well as Einstein amplifiers, Wilson Benesch speakers (not to be confused with Wilson Audio) and other stuff.

I ended up buying AX Two speakers from them and the LM 215 from Hit Audio. Both places speak English.

The hit Audio place is a bit harder to find. It's close to a T intersection and Starbucks. But the entrance is difficult to see the address and it's a narrow entrance. But it's there. Hong Kong audiophiles love tubes. In that building you will see Sound Master, Cary, Spark, Cayin, Shanling, Jadis, Audio Note Kondo, Rogers, McIntosh, and numerous others. Speakers: Avalon. Wilson Audio, PMC, ATC, Kharma, Marten loudspeaker, AE, Magnepan, Vivid Audio, Legacy Audio, Focal, MBL, Paradigm, Kef, - pretty much everything except for the very small brands. There are other buildings near by selling good kit as well.

rahman
05-14-2012, 04:54 AM
Thanks heaps for that, RGA. Brilliant.

Particularly the bid about the margaritas!

psyopwak
05-15-2012, 08:34 PM
Yeah RGA, that's really good stuff. I have been very happy with the LM Audio
amp. I have tube rolled in some Genelex Gold Lion re-issue power tubes and some NOS Sylvania military tubes for the driver and preamp recently. The tubes really make a difference and I think the old USA tubes are very good.

The pics of LM Audio staff are very interesting. Maybe the company might see the kind of success that Primaluna is having now. It seems as if the build quality is of the same par and sound is too! American audio companies need to take note of what is going on here....

psyopwak
05-23-2012, 12:06 PM
Tube rolling going well... here are some pics of the amp.

RGA
05-26-2012, 02:26 AM
Nice pics - they look better in person. This one I have not heard - I heard the EL 84 and 219. So when I get time I will give this one a go. I like the price and features and build.

enjoythemusic
05-28-2012, 01:00 PM
Glad to see that Line Magnetic is getting plenty of praise. They really impressed me at the China show a few years back. www.enjoythemusic.com/guangzhou_av_fair_2009/

crisco
05-29-2012, 03:51 PM
Well, my LM 211 is installed and is providing sweet musical enjoyment through my new ASW Cantius 504 speakers...a major step above my previous gear. I'm very pleased with the quality of the amp even as it breaks in. Will post a review in the coming weeks after everything settles in.

psyopwak
05-29-2012, 08:55 PM
crisco-

Great pics, the LM 211 looks alot like the LM 216. I think it's the EL84 version next to the KT88 I have.

I had listened to the LM 211 and the LM 216 at the same time. Tough choice, but with the speakers I had, the 216 edged it out by a very small margin. (Maybe just in my mind).

I might be done (for now) with tube rolling. It seems that my 216 likes the Genelex re-issue KT88's matched with some NOS Sylvania military tubes. Since the amp is based on the old Western Electric designs, I like the American tube sound offered by the NOS for 12AX7 and 12BH7 stages.

One thing I did find, when tube rolling. The NOS choices are filled with tubes made with variance in gain (types). The 70% gain tubes appear to be very low noise but I have less volume to play around with. More gain(y) tubes show the background noise more. I like the sound of the less gain tubes.

Some are really excited about the Primaluna line made in China, for me I like the LM Audio line!! Seems like a small company getting alot right when it comes to integrated tube amplifiers

crisco
05-30-2012, 05:30 PM
Interesting observation re the high vs low gain 12ax7's.

I have some reissue Tungsols that are reportedly high gain, but i dont notice too much noise, although i am running a cd player and not vinyl.

I have some electroharmonix el34's and JJ gold pin 12au7's to round out the tube complement.
Overall, i am happy with the results from the low cost of this initial tube roll.....i may consider some NOS tubes down the road.

Cheers

ksks
03-25-2013, 11:44 AM
Everyone still happy with their LM 216 IA?

Can you run 6550 or KT90 in this amp?

What are the 9 pin tubes? One source reads 2ea 12AX7 & 2ea 12AU7, but one online photo shows a 12BH7?

psyopwak
03-25-2013, 10:56 PM
Everyone still happy with their LM 216 IA?

Can you run 6550 or KT90 in this amp?

What are the 9 pin tubes? One source reads 2ea 12AX7 & 2ea 12AU7, but one online photo shows a 12BH7?

According to the Operation Manual on the LM-216IA it states:

Product features- Two 12AX7s and 12BH7s are used in the preamp stage
Four KT 88 tubes are used for AB push/pull amplification.

Also toward the back of the manual it lists common replacements for tube basics:

12AX7= 12AX7EH, ECC83, E83CC, CV4004, ECC803, 5751
12BH7= 12BH7EH
EL34= KT88EH, 6550EH, 6550, 6505A

That being said, I have opted to replace the tubes with the same marked tubes that came in the amp. KT88s, and NOS 12AX7s and 12BH7s (GE and Sylvania).

I know that different models come with different power tubes.

I hope this helps...

estreeter
03-30-2013, 07:01 PM
Write up is coming soon, John. It was a very, very impressive listening session.

Art, I've scanned several AK subforums and found no reference to said write-up on your LMA audition - any updates for this thread ?

Tks

Art K.
03-30-2013, 07:35 PM
Art, I've scanned several AK subforums and found no reference to said write-up on your LMA audition - any updates for this thread ?

Tks

Check my Blog under "One Magnetic Monkey". I had a great listening session at Eugene HiFi which included the LM amps. Also check the most recent entry...not much mention of the amps in the last entry but a very nice picture and I can tell you that the amp was better than good.

estreeter
03-30-2013, 11:23 PM
OK - thanks.

Art K.
03-30-2013, 11:35 PM
OK - thanks.

The same write up under the same name is here at AK as well.

StevenZ
08-08-2013, 10:56 AM
Are you guys still happy with your LM 216IA?

datafone
09-19-2013, 05:53 AM
The Gelenex reissues are very good but I have read that some folks like the
Shuguang/Psvane Treasures more. Perhaps start with the small signal tubes?

I looked at the LM amps and they are very nice. I was interested in the LM 218A but it is not available in the USA. :tears: The driver tubes can be EL34,
KT88, 6550 etc. :thmbsp:Hi Les
Looks like Tone Imports is the North American Importer and Distributor for Line Magnetic Audio, and they list the 218A, might be worth checking with them?

Looks like an awesome amp!

http://www.toneimports.com/lmaudio/218ia.html

RGA
09-22-2013, 11:40 AM
Yeah the 218 is available in several US dealers and in Canada now as well. http://eugenehifi.com/Line_Magnetic/html/Line_Magnetic_Integrated_Amplifiers.html

Art K.
09-22-2013, 12:07 PM
Yeah the 218 is available in several US dealers and in Canada now as well. http://eugenehifi.com/Line_Magnetic/html/Line_Magnetic_Integrated_Amplifiers.html

Dale tries to keep most of the modestly priced models in stock. They are running the 219 with the O/96's right now. :thmbsp:

RGA
09-25-2013, 03:08 AM
Apparently the 219 doesn't sell as well as people are put off by the size and weight. I was for awhile as well - I hate heavy amps especially ones I can't lift safely. The price also would limit sales although I think it's under priced in the world of crazy Audio.

Still there are ways around the weight and I kinda wish people would think it through - just buy a small dolly $50 at most from Home depot. I'm going to start some tube rolling over the next few weeks - Johnathan at Tone Imports said the stock tubes are all goo except the 12AX7 which he suggests needs to be dumped ASAP. But I have to review it as stock first to get a sens of the thing.

The interesting aspect is that it takes the lower gain 5751 which some insist I try and getting good suggestions on alternate 12AX7 types. So I may buy 3-5 different pairs of the better class of tubes that have been suggested. It's been a month now and zero regrets. I enjoy firing up the system.

I want to try the new DAC or new CD player. I'd like ot hear the amp on the Orangutan or O/96 but I don;t believe DeVore is available Hong Kong (yet).

Art K.
09-28-2013, 12:04 AM
I'm hoping to sample that new CD player soon as well. We'll see.

enzoazul
11-10-2013, 04:17 AM
Any gut shots of these? Curious to see what they look like inside.

RGA
11-10-2013, 05:30 AM
Here is a factory tour http://www.hitaudio.com/reviews/201009_1.htm

Here is the DAC

http://www.whetstoneaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/LM-502CA_2.jpeg

Here is the 219IA

http://img2.audio.de/Line-Magnetic-LM-219-IA-10--f630x378-ffffff-C-1e74e98e-73145305.jpg

The 216 (or 211) http://www.hifistuudio.eu/?a=picture&thumb=&id=4fb8d01e61ee33231b1b1

CD 215

http://www.hitaudio.com/reviews/201011_1-3.jpg

enzoazul
11-11-2013, 03:07 AM
Very Cool. Thanks!