View Full Version : Sansui SP-3000 speakers?

yrly
07-19-2005, 12:40 AM
Anyone have any opinions on these? I just picked up a set a few hours ago at the thrift (albiet the expensive Salvation Army, why couldn't they have been at the $5 goodwill?) for $59 w/ a Kenwood KR-6160 receiver. Pretty good shape aside from one grill being loose and they work fine. I tested them with the receiver (of course after making sure the receiver itself was in proper operating condition). They sound decent enough but the receiver still needs a good cleaning of the controls so it was not optimal conditions. Will get the serial numbers in a bit...

ferninando
07-19-2005, 02:21 AM
I have the sp3500s and they sound good to me. Not as good as my JBL Olympus systems tho, but then again nothing does.

jpdylon
07-19-2005, 12:37 PM
I have always found sansui speakers to be lacking in the low-end. I've owned sp 100s, sp-2000s, and even the little sp-50s. All were disappointing to me. Other than the fact that they looked nice, I liked the sound of my large advents better.

Jordan

Duke
07-19-2005, 01:44 PM
I have a (4) stacked Advents with a 9090DB . ..

Also have pair of JBL's 3 way 4 speakers hooked up with a Pioneer SX-1050,

and a pair of Sansui SP2500's hooked to a Sansui 9090DB

The Sansui SP2500's are "VERY" good looking, heavy and great walnut wood, and the mid-range is outstanding, but I agree they do not have the punch on the low & high end that the Advents have.

Personally, I think it has a lot to do with the fact that the Advents are a "closed" speaker cabinet, and the Sansui's and the my JBL's are ported - kinda' think a lot of the punch is lost in the port - been thinking about closing up the port on the Sansui's speakers and listen if their is more punch on the low end.

I have a pair of PIoneer CS-31A's, (1960's with 16 Ohm 12" Woofer) that are also ported - to me they sounded really "Boomy", so I muffled the port and added a lot of fiberglass insulation inside, and remarkably more resposive sound.

kfa888
07-19-2005, 01:47 PM
I have a sweet set of SP-3000 my dad bought new. They are in perfect shape. I am powering them with my Sansui 7070 ($5 score!) and I think they sound pretty good. Not really standing out in any way and I agree, a little bass shy especially for a 15 equipped speaker. Very mid rangy. Im running mine with an American Acoustics vintage sub (down firing 15 200 watt sub) and this makes them sound way better to my ears. Much more meat. The SP-3000 will go LOUD.

Edit:

Good idea to try plugging the port. :thmbsp:

yrly
07-20-2005, 02:51 PM
Ok, just hooked them up to my Sherwood S-702CP integrated (easiest thing of good quality to get to in the basement). Fired it up and cranked it. Was a little worried at first, rattle in the one, then I remembered it hadn't done it with the Kenwood and it turns out the grill was loose (gonna have to find a solution to that). First they seemed to sound a tad grainy but they seem to have improved after a while of listening, perhaps they were sitting a while (they are awfully dusty and I still have not cleaned them up), honestly I am not sure, it could be the Sherwood, I last used it with the Electrovoice EV Fours when I first got it but its been sitting since and I don't really remember what it sounded like. Well they play loud and sound decent enough, might have to put them in one of my setups in the near future.

Tube Radio
04-19-2006, 10:35 AM
I have a pair of SP-3000's and SP-3500's. They sound great to me. One thing I didn't think of which I saw on another thread here is that the caps and resistors in the crossover networks go bad sometimes. They sound great in the low end to me. Closing the port up on the SP-3000's doesn't make it any better. One thing I did with my SP-3000's was to replace the wiring to the individual speakers from the crossover with high quality speaker wire. I have my Sp-3000's sitting on top of my SP-3500's. I would have them the other way around, but the SP-3500's didn't have the grilles when I bought them and I don't want to accidently run my foot or anything else into the woofers.