View Full Version : Just picked up some JBL L19 .

Jedi
04-16-2012, 10:20 PM
I got these off of CL today . As you can see they need to be refoamed . So I ordered the kits and I started to clean off the drivers . Aside from the water mark on the side the cabs are in really good shape .
I've always wanted some older JBLs as I've got a few of the newer Northridge series for the HT set up . I cant wait to get these up and running . :yes:
So...does anybody have any advice ? These will be my first set of refoams that are glued to the back of the cones . I hope I dont screw these up ! :no:

Jenkster
04-17-2012, 10:33 AM
I can't give you advice on the re-faom but can tell you they are great sounding speakers! I gave a pair to a friend of mine who uses them as his shop speakers. Very punchy, great range and accurate musical reproduction. It is the home version of one of their more popular Control Monitors, forget which one, and are highly regarded. Nice score!:thmbsp:

Zonker92
04-17-2012, 10:38 AM
Outstanding! If they were mine, I'd probably go over the veneer with 0000 steel wool or 2000 grit sandpaper, oil them with the classic JBL mix of boiled linseed oil and turpentine, replace the caps, and maybe clean up the baffles with some mild detergent; repaint them if truly needed, or maybe just touch up scuffs with a Sharpie. They should look like new.

juniorJBL
04-17-2012, 10:52 AM
Try this out!!:D

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?20249-4301B-Crossover-Rebuild&highlight=4301b

4301b is the studio monitor version of the L19.

Zonker92
04-17-2012, 11:01 AM
Try this out!!:D

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?20249-4301B-Crossover-Rebuild&highlight=4301b

4301b is the studio monitor version of the L19.

Nice! I love how, no matter where I look, Zilch was there first, making things better for us all. :D

juniorJBL
04-17-2012, 11:14 AM
Nice! I love how, no matter where I look, Zilch was there first, making things better for us all. :D

:yes: :thmbsp:

Jedi
04-17-2012, 10:23 PM
Thanks to one and all for the Great advice and coments .:thmbsp:

Im going to try the crossover mods . I've never done one so this will be a frist for me .

And Zonker92....thanks for the cabinet advice :thmbsp: . They are in better shape than I thought but I did'nt know where to start with the clean up .

AK is the best place !! Thanks everyone .
Rudy .

Jedi
04-19-2012, 07:13 PM
So I got the re foam done . Now there are LOTS of things I can do well but not getting glue all over the place on a re foam is not one of them !:no:
No v/c rub . They came out super . These things are KEEPERS ! I LOVE the way these sound . :music: They'll stay with in the main set up next to the A150s . :thmbsp:
So now it's on to getting the cabs cleaned and fixing the grills .
Rudy .

I.R.Brainiac
04-19-2012, 07:27 PM
I was very impressed with the cone tweets in the pair I had.Sadly,someone had replaced the woofers and they didnt even match so I sold them cheap to a less descrimanating friend.(I told him first about the woofies ;) )

If mine had been just needing foam like yours Jedi,I would still have them. :)

juniorJBL
04-20-2012, 08:34 AM
So I got the re foam done . Now there are LOTS of things I can do well but not getting glue all over the place on a re foam is not one of them !:no:
No v/c rub . They came out super . These things are KEEPERS ! I LOVE the way these sound . :music: They'll stay with in the main set up next to the A150s . :thmbsp:
So now it's on to getting the cabs cleaned and fixing the grills .
Rudy .

Nice!! Happy listening.

Zonker92
04-20-2012, 08:42 AM
Excellent! I forgot to suggest that the first thing I do with veneer is give it a gentle, damp-ish cleaning with Murphy's Wood Soap, then let it dry.

TomInTacoma
04-20-2012, 04:43 PM
Nice! I recently did my first refoam on a pair of 4410's and am happy mine turned out as well.

I also own a pair of 4408's (similar to your L19's) and I absolutely love them! But they were in really bad shape. No terminal connectors on the back, holes drilled into them front and back (including a 1-inch hole!) and scratched and gouged all over. I sanded them down and filled the holes. I opted to coat them with Minwax Black-ash stain/polyurathane. The fronts got repainted a satin-finish black. They're certainly nothing like the factory intended but they're playing beautiful music and look pretty good, all things considered.

Good luck with your cabinet work. It'll be a labor you'll enjoy!

Jedi
04-20-2012, 09:22 PM
Well this morning at 4:30 before I left for work I took a rag and some Murphy's Wood Soap at the cabinets . I took the grills with me thinking I would put some staples to hold the cloth but used the spray cement instead . All good . The wood has a nice petina to it . Not shinny and not dull . No gouges or bumps . The wood soap really did the trick ! The worst is the water mark on the side but I can live with that .
Im listening to some George Benson on them right now .:music: I really got lucky with these . And it was fun putting them back together .
Once again..Thanks to one and all for the advice and comments .
Rudy .

ggeorge
04-20-2012, 10:24 PM
Congratulations. Your success is lighting a fire for me to get the foams for mine. I got mine about a week ago at the same at the same thrift I got my mint Marantz 2130 for $10--mint JBL L19s, also $10. I dredged up an old thread and put the pictures there.

How did you deal with the old glue on the back rim of the cone?

Jedi
04-20-2012, 10:44 PM
The glue came off with what was left of the foam . The cone is made of some stout paper . I used a plastic straw to scrape the foam off of the back and behinde the basket legs . On this set of speakers it was easy . I've had others that were'nt so .
Ten bucks for yours....thats a steal !:yes: Get them up and running , these speakers are sweet , well worth the time and effort . If you need any help we're here . Oh...and post a picture of them here when you're done , I'd love to see them .:thmbsp:
Rudy .

I.R.Brainiac
04-20-2012, 10:56 PM
Congrats on your first refoams...its a good feeling to get those first ones right.

Jedi
04-20-2012, 11:52 PM
Congrats on your first refoams...its a good feeling to get those first ones right.

Actually it's my 3rd. But my first with the foam being glued to the back of the cone . And my first JBLs . The first time I've sweated as I did them too!! LOL I soooo wanted these to come out right . And yes it is a GOOD feeling to get them right .:thmbsp:
I've also done a pair of BA 70s and a pair of Infinity Reference 2s . Love the A70s , the Infinitys....not so much . That Polycell tweeter drives me up the wall !
Miles Davis trumpet sounds so sweet on these L19s !
Rudy .

TomInTacoma
04-21-2012, 10:05 AM
Miles Davis trumpet sounds so sweet on these L19s !
Rudy .

Try Ray Charles' "Georgia On My Mind". Goosebumps!

daveg3588
04-21-2012, 10:35 AM
Enjoy these they have a great sound, will sound good with any type of music.

That series L16, L26, L36 were great sounding speakers.

I.R.Brainiac
04-21-2012, 04:27 PM
That Polycell tweeter drives me up the wall !

Thats because they were designed by Satan. :yes: :D

ggeorge
04-22-2012, 11:33 PM
Does anyone have recommendations for stands for the L19? Did JBL offer them?

mech986
04-23-2012, 06:13 AM
Well this morning at 4:30 before I left for work I took a rag and some Murphy's Wood Soap at the cabinets . I took the grills with me thinking I would put some staples to hold the cloth but used the spray cement instead . All good . The wood has a nice petina to it . Not shinny and not dull . No gouges or bumps . The wood soap really did the trick ! The worst is the water mark on the side but I can live with that .
Im listening to some George Benson on them right now .:music: I really got lucky with these . And it was fun putting them back together .
Once again..Thanks to one and all for the advice and comments .
Rudy .

Try Howard Restor-A-Finish in regular walnut, or if you want the darker color, use the dark walnut. JBL's were the regular walnut. If you don't want darker than what you may already have, then use neutral. It should help to blend out the water stain as well as cover up any scratches.

There's a ton of threads about Howard's products, especially with JBL veneered cabinets. Use of RAF, finished off with the Feed-N-Wax to really make the JBL cabinets look great.

http://www.howardproducts.com/prod-restor-a-finish.php

Then you can think about recapping the crossovers...

byrdmk
04-23-2012, 06:14 AM
There are lots of good JBL links for your reference, you should not have any problem getting this done. I just did my first re-foam job ever, and it was to the back of the cone...the only hard part was getting the old foam and glue off the back of the cone. Hard to reach. I found that an exacto knife worked the best, and I would dip the blade in isoprophyl alcohol to guide tiny drops of alcohol to the right places to soften the old glue. I also used some laquer thinner, applied with a paintbrush.

Good luck...if you run across any woofers for JBL L26's, holler at me...

FLHXRI
06-07-2012, 06:08 PM
Where did you get your refoam kit?

mech986
06-07-2012, 07:54 PM
Where did you get your refoam kit?

Rick Cobb is well thought of, Orange County Speaker repairs, and Simply Speakers in Florida have been mentioned as well. Important to get the right, correctly fitting, not generic surrounds.

Jedi
06-07-2012, 08:11 PM
Rick Cobb is well thought of, Orange County Speaker repairs, and Simply Speakers in Florida have been mentioned as well. Important to get the right, correctly fitting, not generic surrounds.

Yea... got mine from Simply Speakers . Listening to the Yellow Jackets on them right now .:music:
Rudy .

FLHXRI
06-07-2012, 09:08 PM
Cool, I scored some today, I will check it out! Thanks!

Jedi
06-07-2012, 11:55 PM
Cool, I scored some today, I will check it out! Thanks!

You got a pair of L19s ? :thmbsp:

FLHXRI
06-12-2012, 11:53 PM
Yes, I found some at an sa for 6 dollars. I odered the refoam kit andrefoamed them. I was not expectimg much since I am not very handy but everythimg turned out great. I hooked them up and man do they sound good! I am thankful I took the risk, it payed off big time!

mech986
11-13-2012, 01:35 AM
So waking up this thread about L19's from its slumber. Any more good stories about JBL L19's?

Jedi, did you ever do any more work on yours?

allsmith
11-13-2012, 01:54 AM
Recently there was ONE of those L19's at my goodwill,I was like what the heck,where is the other!! they only wanted 5 bucks for it,needed refoamed,but i could see nice cast aluminum basket on that woofer! Dang i wish the other was there!

Jedi
11-28-2012, 03:16 PM
Well over the Thanksgiving weekend I replaced the sorry speaker binders with Dayton binders that I got from PE . I took longer than I thought it would as the wires were falling off at the crossovers ! Cold soldered . And one of the coils fell off as well ! Who ever put this crossover together was very sloppy . So I re flowed solder on all connections and re glued the coil .
Those old binders were a pain in the butt ! All's good now .
Rudy .

TomInTacoma
11-28-2012, 03:21 PM
Nice! It's all in the details, ain't it?

Jedi
11-28-2012, 08:13 PM
Now all that's left is to sit back and enjoy them . I have them hooked up to a Van Alstien F.E.T. 3 ( highly modified Dynaco PAT 5) pre amp into a Sony 3200F power amp . Then I hook up different TT's and CD players . These speakers sound the best on this set up . Not that they sound bad with the other set ups , but the synergy with this set up is...just right . My brother is jealous !