View Full Version : went rogue with Rotel-rp3000

william13
04-25-2012, 07:24 AM
So after daily searches of craigslist and searching some pawn shops and garage sales, I realized I was not going to find my thorens, ar, technics in the short run. On ebay it was hard to judge condition. It was a chipped this or a missing hinge or a tone arm rest that simply needs replacement (searches for parts often a bust). Last night as an impulsive act I bid on and won a Rotel rp-3000 to go with my mc300 and c29. I just liked its looks and what I read was not too bad. The nice folks in the turntable section of this site helped me pick out a stylus. I can't wait

MX117.MC7150
04-25-2012, 02:00 PM
What cartridge did you go for? The C29 is an excellent preamp........ my fav (as if that makes any difference) McIntosh solid-state preamp until the C42. C29 is a nice match for the MC300.

william13
04-25-2012, 05:02 PM
So here is what I bought.

VINTAGE ROTEL RP-3000 DIRECT DRIVE TURNTABLE Shure V15 Type III VN35HE Cartridge

It already has a cartridge but no stylus:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120897573056?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

In the turntable section they gave me ideas for needles ranging 50-150 dollars. I was going to choose something in the middle. The high end was called Jico SAS:

http://www.lptunes.com/JICO-SAS-Super-Analogue-Stylus-s/258.htm

Another ak member told me to sell the cartridge that comes with unit and buy another

MX117.MC7150
04-25-2012, 05:45 PM
Buy another what? Maybe the new Ortofon 2M Black or AT150MX. Personally, I would get the JICO S.A.S. replacement stylus. I've not been without a Shure V15 or one sort or another for at least the last 30 years. Have a zero hour V15MxVR at the moment. Will break it in and listen to it this fall once the weather turns. That said, I am especially fond of the AT150MX and probably listen to it more than any other MM cartridge. It simply does so many things so well. But, every serious vinylophile should have a V15 of one sort or another. Don't forget, cleanliness is next to godliness when it comes to vinyl. Get a cleaning system of some sort to clean your LPs or you are likely going to be disappointed with the noise. Suggest a Spin Clean, as a minimum. Even brandynew LPs need a good cleaning prior to play. Lots of good info on cleaning LPs in the TT forum.

william13
04-25-2012, 05:56 PM
Thanks: Your message was very concentrated. Exactly! He gave me no clues as to what the alternative should be. Sounds like I should splurge for the JICO-sas I will also look into the spin clean. Thanks so much

hifi_nut
04-25-2012, 06:01 PM
Nice as the RP-300 is, its medium mass arm may not be the best match for a Shure V-15 III, which really calls for a low mass arm.

william13
04-25-2012, 08:03 PM
Nice as the RP-300 is, its medium mass arm may not be the best match for a Shure V-15 III, which really calls for a low mass arm.

I know the one I just got is a RP-3000. I noticed you said RP-300 and I google that. Apparently both rp-300 and rp-3000 exist. Which were you referring to. How would I know that the shure called for a low mass arm

jsixis
04-25-2012, 08:35 PM
I rate Rotel above many manufactures I see on here.

MX117.MC7150
04-25-2012, 08:58 PM
Don't get too excited about matching your TT/TA/cartridge at this point. Get everything put together properly (the TT forum is your friend), clean your LPs and listen. If you decide the effort is worth the enjoyment you will be upgrading your TT/TA and eventually your cartridge. However, for $60, or so, you can still get a new Shure M97xE on Amazon and it is an excellent place to start if you don't want to spring for the JICO. Will include a reasonable protractor and instructions for proper installation. Proper cartridge installation is, like cleaning your LPs, key to get the most from your system. If you did not get an owner's manual with your TT/TA, check the library at the Vinyl Engine. Tons of TT/TA/cartridge info and how to's.

epifanatic
04-25-2012, 09:06 PM
That deck is no slouch, you may decide to end your search after you get it dialed in.

william13
04-25-2012, 09:47 PM
That is real good advise: Should I be concerned by this post directed at my situation?

"Nice as the RP-300 is, its medium mass arm may not be the best match for a Shure V-15 III, which really calls for a low mass arm."

Could this perosn have been referring to the rp-3000 as oppossed to the 300

hifi_nut
04-26-2012, 07:25 PM
Could this perosn have been referring to the rp-3000 as oppossed to the 300

Sorry for my typo, I was indeed referring to the RP-3000 you won on ebay.
The RP-300 is a lesser deck, in my opinion.

The V15-III should be ideally matched to low effective mass arms, like the SME 3009 Series II Improved ( Effective mass 6.5 grs. ) or Series III ( Effective mass 5.0 grs. ), Audio Technica AT-1100, Signet TK-50, ADC Alt I & II carbon Fibre arms, Infinity Black Widow, Mayware Formula 4, and others along those lines..itīs a very good match for most, if not all, Dual Turntable arms, and works reasonably well on Thorens TP-16, as well

The arm on the RP-3000 is similar to a myriad other very decent arms that equipped many japanese mid price turntables ( a vast majority of which were manufactured by the likes of CEC and Jelco ) but which in fact have a higher than ideal effective moving mass for the V-15 III and other very high compliance cartridges that were specified to track at or bellow 1 gr. Vertical tracking force. Ideally cartridges designed to track at 1.5 or higher should work well on the Rotel.

Hope this helps.

Jorge

william13
04-26-2012, 08:04 PM
I read your reply. How does one know what the mass of an arm is? Is it in the manual? I am going to guess that the person who put vn35he on the rp-3000 did not study the situation. So if what you say is true I would be sinking money into a cartridge that is wrong for the arm. So what should I get then? I have upped my budget: I was going to spend $150 for a stylus alone....now I still will spend that amount but I need a cartridge with stylus so what are you suggesting?

epifanatic
04-26-2012, 08:50 PM
A Grado Gold might be just the cart for that table.:thmbsp:

william13
04-26-2012, 09:01 PM
I need to understand this article: Then I can intelligently address this issue.

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/tonearmcartridge.html

epifanatic
04-26-2012, 09:25 PM
The Gold tracks at 1.5 grams, perfect for that arm.

william13
04-26-2012, 09:46 PM
Ok I just raised my IQ 3 points but it may be below 100 still.

It appears to me that the rotel rp-3000 indeed has a moderate mass tonearm.

The type iii vn35he is high compliance

Therefore according to the below excerpts:

" Low mass arms mate well with both moderately high and very high compliance phono cartridges.

* Moderate mass tonearms are good companions for moderate to low compliance cartridges.

* If a low compliance cartridge is used with a low mass tonearm, undesirable resonances can occur in the audible range. Mistracking may also be a problem.

* When a high compliance cartridge is mated with a moderate mass tonearm, resonances in the infrasonic range may occur in addition to some unwanted high frequency damping."

I would be mating a high compliance cartridge with a moderate tonearem" and suffer the above consequences.

Perhaps I should get rid of the cartridge and start fresh. I am going to look again at all the initial suggestions my kind collegues offerred.

Hopefully this thread will be valuable to other newbees