View Full Version : What would be the 'best' Sansui amplifier for sound quality?

RR--
06-16-2012, 09:09 AM
I've been reading pages and pages from this forum and I've narrowed it down to the 9090, 9090db, AU-999, G33000, G22000, G9000, G9000DB, QRX 9001, AU-9500 and EIGHT for best sounding Sansui's.

I realise a this is purely opinion but I was curious what the most popular amp would be based on sound quality.

I'm going to as many garage sales and markets as I can trying to find professional level Sansui but unfortunately there isn't a huge amount here in Australia. I'm currently listening to an AU-4400 and it's the only Sansui I've seen since March. Sounds amazing, I do think I would benefit from some more power since I have modern speakers.

Replies would be appreciated!

pete_mac
06-16-2012, 09:47 AM
You're leaving some pretty impressive amps off that list... AU-517/717, AU-719/819/919, AU-D11/AU-D11 II, AU-X701/901, and of course the ultra-rare AU-X111 and AU-X1111MOS.

The Sansui sound changed a lot throughout the years too. As time passed they got more accurate and less 'warm'. I can appreciate the sound of a Sansui Eight and the 881, but I also like the more accurate sound offered by the AU-719 and the AU-D11. It comes down to personal preference in the end.

Hyperion
06-16-2012, 09:48 AM
You miss out some important models in my opinion, although you would be ridiculously lucky to find these in a 'thrift' store.

AU-9900, 11000

BA-2000, 3000 & 5000

AU-719, 919

AU-D11 II

Not to mention AU-D9, AU-D11, AU-G99X, AU-X701, 901, AU-X1, AU-X11 etc

There are many more.

EDIT: just seen pete_mac's post above - two minds with but one thought :D

pete_mac
06-16-2012, 09:57 AM
You miss out some important models in my opinion, although you would be ridiculously lucky to find these in a 'thrift' store.

AU-9900, 11000

BA-2000, 3000 & 5000

AU-719, 919

AU-D11 II

Not to mention AU-D9, AU-D11, AU-G99X, AU-X701, 901, AU-X1, AU-X11 etc

There are many more.

Indeed John... you've captured a few that I forgot about!

Come to think of it, there's also the BA-FA/CA-F1 (which I will have the pleasure of hearing soonish!), the B-2101/C2101 (and the 02 variants), and the B2301/C2301. The AU-G90X should also be included in any list of top-shelf Sansuis IMHO.

We could also list the various Japanese models, but given the need to muck around with step-down transformers etc, perhaps it is best to leave those out of the equation for now ;)

stereofanboy
06-16-2012, 10:08 AM
Of the ones I've owned (I'm including receivers as did the OP):

1. AU-919
2. Z-9000
3. Z-7000
4. 8080DB
5. 5000
6. QR-4500
7. 350A
8. QR-500
9. 3900Z

That is the order they fell in when I had them. If they had all been restored, the order may have been a little different, but probably not much.

Zekeman
06-16-2012, 10:17 AM
You can't just have one!

bdblkta
06-16-2012, 10:22 AM
Au20000

mjs1
06-16-2012, 12:02 PM
I'm certainly looking to add a few more. I'm sure that it's harder in Australia to find the international models listed here, but you may have an advantage over those of us in the US in finding the rarer late Japanese (voltage) models.

What voltage do you use in Australia?

Marc

kevzep
06-16-2012, 12:21 PM
I'm certainly looking to add a few more. I'm sure that it's harder in Australia to find the international models listed here, but you may have an advantage over those of us in the US in finding the rarer late Japanese (voltage) models.

What voltage do you use in Australia?

Marc

I've never heard of it being easy to find rarer Japanese models in Australia.......

240V for Australia, we are 230V in New Zealand.....

If you want to collect its expensive down here, the choices are limited....
I had to import all mine, except the AU999.......The shipping is horrendous.....but it makes you think carefully about the one you want...

mjs1
06-16-2012, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the answer kevzep. I thought it might be cheaper to get things from Japan to your neck of the woods than mine. I guess I was wrong, or at least it's pretty expensive either way.

Best wishes

Marc

Qsiris
06-16-2012, 12:54 PM
Wait a minute, did Sansui ever made a bad sounding amp ? :no:

There are differences in sound but its a matter of personal preference.
I would go with the very last models from the 90s. Not only they sound great
but as a side benefit you dont need to worry about recapping.

Last 220V series was AU-Alpha 607 MRX, AU-Alpha 907 MRX around 1994.
Prior to that there was AU-D711 around 1990. These are really hard to find though.
Unless you go with japanese models plus stepdown transformer.
Thats what I did anyway.

rnorton
06-16-2012, 01:07 PM
Wait a minute, did Sansui ever made a bad sounding amp ? :no:

Although I've forgotten the model, Sansui made a family of really wretched receivers back in the late '60's - early '70's that had the output drivers (but not the output devices) on vertically mounted cards. They used to catch fire a LOT. Not just smoke but ACTUAL FLAMES. Must have had to tell a dozen people that brought them into my shop that they might best just throw it away and start over. Really soured me on Sansui until I saw my first 717.

bluesky
06-16-2012, 01:42 PM
Sound qualty is sound quality and Power is Power: 2 different things.

' Sound ' the best ?

Never heard them but...

#1 AU-X1111 MOS Vintage (this amp must be something else. Everyone seems to agree on it's 'quality of sound'. Like it just can't be beat or something. This was a high spot for Sansui intergrateds. I'd love to have one.

2. Any of the later TOTL 'Alpha' amplifiers (expecially if it was MOS!) The later refined Alpha circuits and componet isolation, etc., make a more 'refined sound', if you like that sound. It's sound is slightly different than the earlier 07s like the 717/919 etc. They 'sound' really fine and more 'sophisticated/musical' for a lack of words. One Sansui AK member here, maybe Pepa, can't remember exactly who it was but he's from Europe, and he said it just perfectly. It goes something like this: 'the alphas do not have the original older Sansui sound, of course, but the alphas sound much more sophisticated. You may not really like it if your used to and enjoy the old school Sansui sound.' It's just a little different, not quite as DEEP but more Musical. They are just a much more 'refined' old 07 sound. If you want an alpha and can find one, get an AU-X901 or AU-X701 International model. One other guy stated that the build quality in the X901 is better than the X701, I don't really know the specifics, but I'm sure the X701 is outrtageous. I have the X901 and love it. Also folks like the X911 and X711, etc. Don't know anything about those at all. One other thing I've noticed about the differences between the alphas and the older 07 amps is that the older 07 amps sound really deep and heavy, which is just LOVELY!! The alphas also sound DEEP, not as deep as the old 07s but they sound much more 'musical'. Which sound is better? I love the X901 for it's properties and sound qualtiy. Perfect. Totally happy but (there's always a but!!) my old 717 sounded like a 'live musical rock concert'! I really loved that amp for that reason. It sounded like you were in the Filmore West or Winterland in 1970! But the X901 is much more sophisticated. More audiophile. OK, the alphas sound much more 'audiophile', and I hate that term but that's the way it is.

3. An '07 Anniversary' would be perfect. Old school 07 sound in a 'new(er)' package. This would be one fine amp to own. But expensive. $2500+/- plus $800+ shipping from Japan. Very rarely does one show up outside Japan.

4. Tube amps: the AU-111. Sansui's finest.

:thmbsp:

Now if you were talking about 'Power': BA-5000/CA-3000. And others of the 'Definition/Professional Series'.

And folks seem to really love the Gs, later XXXX models. The Japanese Sansui folks 'Really Like' the AU-D Japanese domestic models. I don't know why. Maybe it's sound, maybe it's nastaliga, I don't know, but they sure do like them and some AU-D models really fetch fairly high prices.

Of course, any amp has to be functioning 'on specification', of course.

That's all I know. I have heard many of Sansui's amps but I forgotton which ones, it was a long time ago. I've only owned the AU-717, AU-D77X, and my current AU-X901 "Vintage". Never heard a Sansui MOS.

I can look up which of the 'alphas' are really the most highly desired, and expensive, but it's on the other computer.

Sound quality is subjective.

Lastly, if you have a Sansui amp and really LOVE the SOUND ... you got it!! :>)

Love-Vinyl
06-16-2012, 01:54 PM
Maybe I've been living under a rock or something but I never knew Sansui even made MOS amp's. I love my restored TU-7700 tuner and would love to match it a good amp. However I've been spoiled by the sound of my Hafler DH-500 which uses MOSFET's.

Any recommendations?

bluesky
06-16-2012, 03:40 PM
Maybe I've been living under a rock or something but I never knew Sansui even made MOS amp's. I love my restored TU-7700 tuner and would love to match it a good amp. However I've been spoiled by the sound of my Hafler DH-500 which uses MOSFET's.

Any recommendations?

Sansui made many model amps that incorporated MOSFET. Most of them may have been 'Japanese domestic models' for the local Japanese market only and not very well known to the international market.

I've read that there isn't any more MOSFETs availiable for Sansui amps anymore and it's been that way for a long time. So...that's why I've always stayed away from amps like the AU-X1111 Mos Vintage, which I really would love to own and use. Can't fix things if there aren't any parts. Guess to fix it you would have to buy another amp for spare MOSFETs.

Anything 'really rare' has it's associated 'just try to find the parts' problems. I found that out with a pair of Sansui speakers I bought. Bad woofer. Can't be fixed, No parts. And to find a replacement woofer is like next to impossible. Well...it IS impossible. So they sit in the closet awaiting parts which very well may never happen. The only alternative is to buy a 2nd set of speakers, which rarely, if hardly ever...ever come up for sale. Sometimes very very rare can be very TOO RARE.

Ken Boyd
06-16-2012, 03:46 PM
I think if I had my choice it would the AU-111.

eradoncic
06-16-2012, 05:15 PM
I have the X901 and love it. Also folks like the X911 and X711, etc. Don't know anything about those at all. One other thing I've noticed about the differences between the alphas and the older 07 amps is that the older 07 amps sound really deep and heavy, which is just LOVELY!! The alphas also sound DEEP, not as deep as the old 07s but they sound much more 'musical'. Which sound is better? I love the X901 for it's properties and sound qualtiy. Perfect. Totally happy but (there's always a but!!) my old 717 sounded like a 'love musical rock concert'! I really loved that amp for that reason. It sounded like you were in the Filmore West or Winterland in 1970! But the X901 is much more sophisticated. More audiophile. OK, the alphas sound much more 'audiophile', and I hate that term but that's the way it is.

This is typical...AU-X901 (AKA Alpha 707i), is 14th generation on 07 series, and the series when Sansui actually changed its primordial "sound", started during 1970s. From that point (end of 80s), they started with efforts to obtain a AU111 sound by BJTs...a very difficult tas actually.

In this respect, the AU-901 was the "sweet spot" between "old" and "new" Sansui sound/refinement, and in my opinion, that's one offer both tradition - deep sound (but not too much) of the old school, and more sophistication of the future Alpha's. This is also the model when the logo was changed, clearly depicting new directions.

According to an interview with the main engineers responsible for creating and executing of all Alpha amplifiers of the '90s, the best Sansui integrated are AU-907MOS Ltd, and AU-X1111MOS V. Aqua audio labs is the company owned by these engineers, which mainly servicing and upgrading the inferior Alpha models to 907MOS Ltd and AU-.X111MOS V.

I have not heard all of the below listed amps, but I have had or I have still some of them, and my opinion for best made Sansui integrated are:

1. Alpha AU-907MOS LTD
2. AU-X1111 MOS V
3. AU-Alpha 907 MR(X)
4. AU-Alpha 607MOS
5. AU-Alpha 907NRA

I have direct experience of the two models: AU-X1111 and 907MRx (which I still have), and the other three should be more refined versions actually (AU-907MOS LTD has an 907XR for basis, and 607MOS has MRX for basis)

The NRA model is largely unknown outside Japan, but technically, it is 907MRX pushed further in quaility, since 907MRX was the only amp awarded in Japan in 1995. ("Golden ear" of the year)

RR--
06-16-2012, 06:47 PM
That doesn't really make sense, if the later 80's and early 90's models are considered the best why do I keep hearing so much about the 9090 and G series amplifiers? I also hear that they've been going downhill since the late 70's? Is it that they're technically better but less liked?
Anyway thanks for the opinions.

We use 240v in Australia which makes most imported Sansui's usable as there's often a voltage switch in the back.

bluesky
06-16-2012, 06:59 PM
This is typical...AU-X901 (AKA Alpha 707i), is 14th generation on 07 series, and the series when Sansui actually changed its primordial "sound", started during 1970s. From that point (end of 80s), they started with efforts to obtain a AU111 sound by BJTs...a very difficult tas actually.

In this respect, the AU-901 was the "sweet spot" between "old" and "new" Sansui sound/refinement, and in my opinion, that's one offer both tradition - deep sound (but not too much) of the old school, and more sophistication of the future Alpha's. This is also the model when the logo was changed, clearly depicting new directions.

According to an interview with the main engineers responsible for creating and executing of all Alpha amplifiers of the '90s, the best Sansui integrated are AU-907MOS Ltd, and AU-X1111MOS V. Aqua audio labs is the company owned by these engineers, which mainly servicing and upgrading the inferior Alpha models to 907MOS Ltd and AU-.X111MOS V.

I have not heard all of the below listed amps, but I have had or I have still some of them, and my opinion for best made Sansui integrated are:

1. Alpha AU-907MOS LTD
2. AU-X1111 MOS V
3. AU-Alpha 907 MR(X)
4. AU-Alpha 607MOS
5. AU-Alpha 907NRA

I have direct experience of the two models: AU-X1111 and 907MRx (which I still have), and the other three should be more refined versions actually (AU-907MOS LTD has an 907XR for basis, and 607MOS has MRX for basis)

The NRA model is largely unknown outside Japan, but technically, it is 907MRX pushed further in quaility, since 907MRX was the only amp awarded in Japan in 1995. ("Golden ear" of the year)

Beautiful explination and write-up. Thanks!

bluesky
06-16-2012, 07:13 PM
That doesn't really make sense, if the later 80's and early 90's models are considered the best why do I keep hearing so much about the 9090 and G series amplifiers? I also hear that they've been going downhill since the late 70's? Is it that they're technically better but less liked?

We use 240v in Australia which makes most imported Sansui's usable as there's often a voltage switch in the back.

The following was 'just part' of Sansui's problems but it may help you understand what when on:

The Sansui company started it's downward trend since about 1972, post Vietnam sales. It was 'company decisions', not the quality of the amplifiers and equipment designs, that caused Sansui's decline. Sansui mostly sold to the US Military personnel. After Vietnam, sales dropped dramatically and they had no other outlet for sales. Sony, Pioneer, Hitachi, etc., they had the domestic Japan and worldwide sales. They were not dependent on US Military Sales and had a domestic sales base. Then there was Quad, great idea, much money spent, but it just didn't take off. Then in the early 80s their equipment really took a the bad hit in the quality department due to cost cutting decisions. International folks didn't like Sansui very much after that. It was over.

Then in 1986 the company decided to regain their 'good name' in quality audio, hense the new logo and new 'top quality' amps again. But it was too late internationally.

Starting in 1986, that was like basically the beginning of the alpha series that just kept getting better and better and more refined, circuits and design. The alpha series is super quality, but as mentioned above, very much more 'refined' and it had a slightly different sound than the pre-1980 amps.

Alphas ARE top quality amps and very much 'liked', and acknowledged, in the stereo world. How could they not be! But Sansui's sales were down because of the early 80s reliablity and quality problems. Also Sansui continually lost money every year, even with the alphas, starting in 1986 even with their top quality amps. It's a big long sad story of a great stereo company that made some really big bad company decisions. Also the USD devaluation, it hurt them really bad. They sold amps much cheaper than they should have just to compete in the basically Japanese domestic marketplace (with a few international models sold in USA, Germany, England, etc. Also the yen was like 100 yen or so to a USD, which made Sansui's amps, as well as all other Japanese products, extremely expensive to purchase internationally, the amps were too expensive for most international folks to buy, plus: computers were in - stereos were out, times changed. So Sansui basically sold to Japanese domestic market, hence all the gear Sansui made and sold that no one even knows about, all 'very top quality' equipment. They also fell behind in patent rights. Other companies had the patents on CD players, etc. In the old days Sansui had devoluped the patients. but no more. Sansui declined. It was just a magnitute of major problems for Sansui.

The 90s gear is modern day, 'top quality', audiophile type equipment with the 'audiophile' type new sound, if that makes any sense. Wonderful equipment!!

Guys love the G series, B/C, BA/CA, AU-TU everything up until 1981 basically. They absolutely love the G series! 9090 (XXXX series), super fine receivers. They are 'all' good.

Except the quality from 1981 to 1985 just wasn't there. Still nice sounding amps, 'some of them', great transformers, but they took shortcuts putting them together, plastic parts, cabinets, knobs, etc. Sansui was just trying to make maximum profit in the early 80s to stay alive. It didn't work. So in 1986...alpha!

Hope this helps.

Oerets
06-16-2012, 07:17 PM
To tell you the truth I have never heard a Sansui Amp I didn't like!

Barney

Love-Vinyl
06-16-2012, 07:41 PM
http://www.sansui.us/AU-111.htm is a page I found looking at the suggestion from Ken Boyd on the AU-111. It also further details eradoncic's information.

Sounds like a worthy journey to explore.

Robisme
06-16-2012, 08:23 PM
That doesn't really make sense, if the later 80's and early 90's models are considered the best why do I keep hearing so much about the 9090 and G series amplifiers? .

The 9090 and most G series receivers are very common and most have heard them. The later great amps are hard to come by and I would guess most have not heard them.

I have a G-8000 and a 9090DB. They are both great, but the AU-Alpha607Extra I had was incredible. If it was not a 100 volt unit, I would still have it.

The AU-X301i is not a very good amp. It is 65 WPC, so I compared it to the AU-517 I had at the time. The AU-517 embarrassed the AU-X301i. The 301 was not made in Japan, BTW.

Rob

kevzep
06-16-2012, 08:40 PM

I just dont think theres that many of the Alpha or MOS amplifiers around, there really were the pinnacle of Sansui's amplifier design....
I would dearly love to hear a MOS series amplifier.....

From studying the service manuals and reading the schematics, it appears that the Alpha and MOS series were born from those G22/33000 amplifier designs. The G22/33000 were the first real "fast Direct Coupled" amplifiers Sansui made, and they just kept developing the design from there...
The G-X000 /G22/33000 design set the president if you like.......

The AU-D11 was the first development of the bridged design which flowed on into the BA-2102 for example.......

Just my few cents of observations......

Axcel
06-16-2012, 08:49 PM
Au20000

Have owned one and simply loved the 20000 sold it to a good friend so I still have use of it:D

tuanthanh123
06-16-2012, 09:23 PM
:thmbsp: for sansui aux111 or aux 1111mos
Cheers

Zekeman
06-16-2012, 11:57 PM
My fav at this point is the AU-7900 series...including the AU-5900, 6900. These amps have great sound and features.

Dswankey
06-17-2012, 12:29 AM
I loves me some Sansui!!!!, my first taste was a 7000 which replaced my Pioneer SX-980 the difference was very noticeable to my ears as the Sui won hands down. It wasn't until a few year later later that I stumbled on onto my AU-717, which I paid a fair price for knowing that the seller(local audio repair guru) had restored her to her original specs, new caps etc;. It was the best money I've spent in awhile and I couldn't be happier.

Dare I say I've harbored the thought of unloading her to help defray the cost towards possibly purchasing a Luxman M-2000. Luckily I regained my senses and realized I can have the best of both worlds and utilize the 717 as a pre. I'm thinking it will be quite the combo. I'll know in a couple of week but that's for another thread and another time.

Great thread by the way as I really enjoyed reading all the suggestions, models, info on MOSFET etc; Sansui owners rock!!! literally and figuratively.

petch
06-17-2012, 12:37 AM
My Sansui's

SM320M
AU-111
AU-777
AU-222
G871DB

I love them all. ^__^

DonQuixote99
06-17-2012, 12:57 AM
Although I've forgotten the model, Sansui made a family of really wretched receivers back in the late '60's - early '70's that had the output drivers (but not the output devices) on vertically mounted cards. They used to catch fire a LOT. Not just smoke but ACTUAL FLAMES. Must have had to tell a dozen people that brought them into my shop that they might best just throw it away and start over. Really soured me on Sansui until I saw my first 717.

Your post trashes the entire brand over one episode, which you recall vaguely. The problem you mention affected model 5000, 5000a, and early 5000x receivers, and no other units. See http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=148007 for information on how a tech can fix them, as opposed to throwing them away.

Of course, at the time, fixing them was easier because Sansui made replacement boards available.

skriefal
06-17-2012, 01:19 AM

You're Max Headroom? "Two minds, but with one single memory..." :)

bluesky
06-17-2012, 03:21 PM
I just dont think theres that many of the Alpha or MOS amplifiers around, there really were the pinnacle of Sansui's amplifier design....I would dearly love to hear a MOS series amplifier.....

There are plenty alphas around...in Japan.

bluesky
06-17-2012, 03:25 PM
My Sansui's

SM320M
AU-111
AU-777
AU-222
G871DB

I love them all. ^__^

How does your SM-320M sound?

Tell us how you like it!! If you would, give us a little brief on it!! Sound, strong points, weak points, everything.

Thanks

kevzep
06-17-2012, 04:40 PM
There are plenty alphas around...in Japan.

Yes, but the OP does not live in Japan and neither do I, so for all intents and purposes, there are few Alpha's around.....
When you live in Australia or New Zealand the choices are very limited, and if you do want something specific, the cost becomes astronomical......

Qsiris
06-17-2012, 05:03 PM
Someone in Canada is selling a few alphas right now.
Perhaps shipping from there is less astronomical ?
$40 to US anyway, listed as A607. I bought one.

kevzep
06-17-2012, 05:22 PM

You guys are lucky living over there, if I or the OP wanted to land one of those we would be paying more than the unit to ship it......
And I know all too well the costs as I have shipped a G9000 and a G22000 along with a couple of tuners from the USA....and yeah it will leave your wallet with nothing but a few tumbleweeds blowing in the wind....

I am particularly interested in the Alpha and MOS series.....maybe one day...

Robisme
06-17-2012, 05:23 PM

I hope you have 100 volts to run it on. It wont last long with more.

Rob

Qsiris
06-17-2012, 06:07 PM
I hope you have 100 volts to run it on. It wont last long with more.

Rob

I got this one, vintage of course. Made in Japan too. :smoke:
$29 shipped.

kevzep
06-17-2012, 06:16 PM
I wouldnt waste my time with step down transformers personally, I have a guy who winds transformers, its a very simple process for a competent transformer winding guy to change the primary windings....
I have had this done on several occasions with great results....

bluesky
06-17-2012, 07:51 PM
To tell you the truth I have never heard a Sansui Amp I didn't like! Barney

Me too! :thmbsp:

bluesky
06-17-2012, 07:56 PM
Yes, but the OP does not live in Japan and neither do I, so for all intents and purposes, there are few Alpha's around.....
When you live in Australia or New Zealand the choices are very limited, and if you do want something specific, the cost becomes astronomical......

There's always the International AU-X901/X701 "Vintage Series".

Man, down in Australia...that's where all the super rare 1970 Sansui AS-300 speakers are. I always see them for sale down under, and in great condition too.

If you ever see an AS-300 Sansui 'W-112' woofer for sale, PLEASE tell me!! Been looking for one for years. Thanks.

:music:

Qsiris
06-17-2012, 08:31 PM
There's always the International AU-X901/X701 "Vintage Series".

Man, down in Australia...that's where all the super rare 1970 Sansui AS-300 speakers are. I always see them for sale down under, and in great condition too.

If you ever see an AS-300 Sansui 'W-112' woofer for sale, PLEASE tell me!! Been looking for one for years. Thanks.

:music:

Someone in Canada is selling mint pair of AS-300 right now.

I say Canadians have all the good stuff.:yes:

bluesky
06-17-2012, 11:35 PM
Someone in Canada is selling mint pair of AS-300 right now. I say Canadians have all the good stuff.:yes:

They are really nice sounding acoustic suspension speakers. Like: KLHs or ARs. 1970-1972 only. AlNiCo magnets. Big Box Sound.

Just looking for a woofer.

I'm already in it for $260 total which included shipping, they are really heavy. I don't lose often but I lost on those but they should of been fine (long eBay story). Can't win all the time on eBay.

Now if I can find a W-112 woofer...then ok, I'd totally restore the crossovers, etc. But I may even part them out on eBay and give other guys looking for AS-300 parts a break. To tell you the truth, I've almost lost interest in them. Almost. Been looking for a darn woofer in 5 different countries for 3+ years, 'daily' (while looking for other stuff). Just nada, zero, no W-112s.

Are AS-300s rare ... I guess so. I knew it when I bought them but I didn't know they were THAT RARE.

Lessons Learned: I can offer this advice - Don't buy RARE Speakers. Once broke, forget it for parts.

rasenthiran
06-17-2012, 11:46 PM
I wouldnt waste my time with step down transformers personally, I have a guy who winds transformers, its a very simple process for a competent transformer winding guy to change the primary windings....

kev,

does this means you need to do modification to the orginal sansui transformer?does step down transformer effects sound quality for the case of 100v?

kevzep
06-17-2012, 11:53 PM

kev,

does this means you need to do modification to the orginal sansui transformer?does step down transformer effects sound quality for the case of 100v?

Yes he does a new primary winding for the original Sansui transformer......Which means he unwinds the transformer to replace the primary windings.

If you use a stepdown transformer, as long as it can deliver enough current, I shouldnt think it would affect the sound quality at all.....

petch
06-18-2012, 12:22 AM
How does your SM-320M sound?

Tell us how you like it!! If you would, give us a little brief on it!! Sound, strong points, weak points, everything.

Thanks

Hi Bluesky,

My SM-320M becomes one of my favorite Sansui already. Last 2 years when i was bidding this one from ebay, you (and AK's friends) gave me a very good advice, thanks again. :D

As you Know, Its a "never been used" stuff from 1962, after brought it back to life, i did a burn in around 50-100 hours, the sound is much better.

I'm not good in English, its hard to tell how i love the sound of this SM320M but i will try, in my opinion, this one is the older bros of SAX200, these two are very similar in sounding. BTW, I do not have a SAX200 on my own, just listen my friend system. However, more familiar with the 1000a, I says, I like SM320M more. Its a very sweet sounding amp. I thinks the best of this receiver is the sound image, the weak points are dynamic and bass. this one is not good for rock music.

I found that the SM320M is get along well with AR's speakers (I've got AR1 n AR3) more than JBL's (did matching w L96 L100s and C56 Dorian), which i was very surprise. anyway, its depends on what style you like. :music:

nosirrah
06-18-2012, 01:17 AM
The OP's question cannot really be answered, what speakers will be used, what is his favorite genre of music?
Is the listening room large or small? Does he "crank it" or listen at lower levels?
For me, in a 12X16 living room, I use 2 sets, an AU/TU 888 and a BA/CA 3000 with a TU 9900 tuner...BPC CD players and a POC Kenwood turntable. {soon to be replaced with a sui SR 838}
Speakers are a set of SP 300's and a set of SP 1700's.
Sounds good to me. I rotate my units every so often too.

RR--
06-18-2012, 04:41 AM
Thanks for the history lesson Bluesky, I always had the impression that the quality declined but I had only really read the wikipedia entry.
I'll add those speakers to my list of things to look for at markets.

I think my next amp to look for would be a 9090 or a G series, what ever I happen to find though.

Curse
06-18-2012, 05:15 AM
From personal experience, I can highly recommend the AU-9900 and the AU-517. As has been said, the '517 is a great amp for rock / guitar oriented music - the '9900 has handled anything and everything I have thrown at it with aplomb!

:banana:

Good luck in your search.

Dan

RR--
06-18-2012, 05:51 AM
It's a shame Kevzep, There's a really nice restored and recapped 9090db on ebay at the moment but shipping to Aus would cost $430.

You don't happen to know of any tactics of finding vintage gear? Op shops here don't sell electronics even though they technically can and I haven't been lucky at garage sales. My current AU4400 came from a sunday market and it's the only Sansui I've seen.

Ken Boyd
06-18-2012, 11:59 AM
I think I would prefer the AU-111 as I have a pair of Sansui SP L700's and was using a combination of a CA2000/Yamaha M70, but when I switched out the Solid State to an old Fisher tube integrated KX200 the speakers just came alive, so it would be the Tube amp for me, at least with this pair of Sansui Speakers.

I have a lead on another Sansui Tube amp, not as good as the AU-111, and I might purchase it and refurbish it and give it a try, but I hate spending alot of time on a less model when I would be more happy putting the time and effort to restore the amp that I really want in the first place. I doubt I will purchase any more solid state amps, now that I have heard tube amps on my speakers I like them much better, and I have plenty of solid state amps.

bluesky
06-18-2012, 02:27 PM
That's the main reason I searched for a year and found a Sansui AU-X901 "Vintage" series (AU-a707i) international amp.

Just plug it into the 120V USA wall socket and no problem. Problem solved, done deal.

bluesky
06-18-2012, 02:37 PM
Hi Bluesky,

My SM-320M becomes one of my favorite Sansui already. Last 2 years when i was bidding this one from ebay, you (and AK's friends) gave me a very good advice, thanks again. :D

As you Know, Its a "never been used" stuff from 1962, after brought it back to life, i did a burn in around 50-100 hours, the sound is much better.

I'm not good in English, its hard to tell how i love the sound of this SM320M but i will try, in my opinion, this one is the older bros of SAX200, these two are very similar in sounding. BTW, I do not have a SAX200 on my own, just listen my friend system. However, more familiar with the 1000a, I says, I like SM320M more. Its a very sweet sounding amp. I thinks the best of this receiver is the sound image, the weak points are dynamic and bass. this one is not good for rock music.

I found that the SM320M is get along well with AR's speakers (I've got AR1 n AR3) more than JBL's (did matching w L96 L100s and C56 Dorian), which i was very surprise. anyway, its depends on what style you like. :music:

Hi petch,

Thanks for the write-up on the SM-320M sound qualities...and you speak English really well, perfect! :yes:

Sounds like you have a really nice and wonderful SM-320M in ' like new - never been used ' condition. It doesn't get any better than that.

SM-320M with ARs. Nice.

It's really nice to own an 'early piece' of Sansui History. 'Older brother' of the SAX-200. That's just so cool.

I bet it 'looks so fine' too! 1962. Wow. You have something really special.

Sounds like a Jazz, Delta Blues, Blues amp. Same era.

Wonderful find and really glad you got it!

Congradulations!!

bluesky
06-18-2012, 02:56 PM
It's a shame Kevzep, There's a really nice restored and recapped 9090db on ebay at the moment but shipping to Aus would cost $430.

You don't happen to know of any tactics of finding vintage gear? Op shops here don't sell electronics even though they technically can and I haven't been lucky at garage sales. My current AU4400 came from a sunday market and it's the only Sansui I've seen.

I know this is a long shot, maybe impossible, but...

If you know anyone in the Australian Navy, or Air Force, or Army, he could, or could get one of his friends on another ship or airplane to, possibly pick-up the amp and he could bring it back to Australia on his ship or airplane. He may know someone in the USA, in a port or military airport like San Francisco, Los Angeles, or Seattle, that he goes to frequently, that could buy it and give it to him when he visits port. If his ship comes to USA he sure knows someone, like local bar friends or base friends, in USA, that 'could do the deal'.

Then: if you live near your friends Home Base in Australia you could just pick it up or he could send it to you in the Australian mail which would be much cheaper.

Just something to think about. It 'could be done' that way.

bluesky
06-18-2012, 03:05 PM
I think I would prefer the AU-111 as I have a pair of Sansui SP L700's and was using a combination of a CA2000/Yamaha M70, but when I switched out the Solid State to an old Fisher tube integrated KX200 the speakers just came alive, so it would be the Tube amp for me, at least with this pair of Sansui Speakers.

I have a lead on another Sansui Tube amp, not as good as the AU-111, and I might purchase it and refurbish it and give it a try, but I hate spending alot of time on a less model when I would be more happy putting the time and effort to restore the amp that I really want in the first place. I doubt I will purchase any more solid state amps, now that I have heard tube amps on my speakers I like them much better, and I have plenty of solid state amps.

If I ever got another amp it would be the AU-111.

I'd love to get the AU-111 "Vintage" series, think it's like 1998 or so, can't remember without looking at my notes. The 1999 AU-111 'G' would really be nice too but I really wouldn't need it's special features. Geeez...I'd just love to have a really nice 60s AU-111!! Very nice.

kevzep
06-18-2012, 04:15 PM

Unfortunately, there is no tactic really. I have invested an enormous amount of money to get the Sansui's I wanted.
New Zealand is even worse than Australia, we had some ridiculous import duty laws up until the mid 1980's which prevented all this gear coming to New Zealand....So there is even less of it here than in Australia...
However, I did get my G22000 for a good price from an AK member who was upgrading to the G33000. It had an annoying intermittent protection circuit fault, but as I was completely restoring it I didnt really worry about that....
But even then the shipping was over $1500NZ.....But the whole exercise was cheaper than the G9000 which came from "the Bay" and was supposedly in "immaculate condition" but somehow developed some electronic faults on the way here (which the seller denied when I asked him about it) along with some shipping damage from being badly packed.....But its fully restored and you would never know it was damaged now.

The price for the 9090DB shipping sounds reasonable to me as long as the seller packs the thing properly, it is a risk buying off the bay, I would become a AK member and put a want add, or look at the barter town, that way you will end up dealing with someone who you will be able to trust more with the shipping and getting it to Australia without damage.....

The 9090DB is an excellent sounding amplifier, its a little different from the G series. Guys here will say the 9090 is warmer, I say they dont quite have the linearity, detail and 'air' in the top end like the G receivers do....But I wouldnt say no to one, and in fact I quite like the 990 (black face version), they look very elegant......
My comparisons were made on re-capped amplifiers....

kevzep
06-18-2012, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the history lesson Bluesky, I always had the impression that the quality declined but I had only really read the wikipedia entry.
I'll add those speakers to my list of things to look for at markets.

I think my next amp to look for would be a 9090 or a G series, what ever I happen to find though.

To put it in a little more perspective......The sound quality, (in my opinion) definitely developed and was refined into something I am very fond of....
BUT, the build quality did move towards a more "made by robot" and flimsy plastic bits look.....
The modular build as in the G series receivers disappeared, I guess it was a more expensive way to build the amplifiers......
They combined different parts of the circuits onto common boards, used cheaper switches which didnt last as long for example.......

I heavily recommend the G series, VERY solid build quality, and reliable......They dont really have anything serious go wrong with them......
Just the usual odd switch that goes intermittent, and a couple of fusible resistors in the driver stage and thats about it......
They also have a EXCELLENT tuner.......

kevzep
06-18-2012, 04:29 PM
If I ever got another amp it would be the AU-111.

I'd love to get the AU-111 "Vintage" series, think it's like 1998 or so, can't remember without looking at my notes. The 1999 AU-111 'G' would really be nice too but I really wouldn't need it's special features. Geeez...I'd just love to have a really nice 60s AU-111!! Very nice.

Agreed, an AU-111 would be very nice indeed........:thmbsp:

highcut28
06-19-2012, 12:37 AM
hi All
no i dont think i ve heard a bad Sui.
just got an au9500 into service and am astounded by the sound.
i didnt expect it to pair up well with LS3 5A s but boy it gives the little speakers a workout - real authority.
Awaiting return of 111 - some idiot earlier owner had bypassed certain circuits eg tone , filters, even balance ! now a pal of mine is going bonkers trying to sort out the wires. i fear it may then need recap and other expensf work .....

DonQuixote99
06-19-2012, 01:13 AM
Say, for no particular reason, I'm wondering if the Sansui 661 deserves to be mentioned in this topic....

Hyperion
06-19-2012, 03:56 AM
Say, for no particular reason, I'm wondering if the Sansui 661 deserves to be mentioned in this topic....

Yes it does, the XX1 series is a very fine sounding series - they are all good with the 881 being the top of the range. :thmbsp:

Ken Boyd
06-19-2012, 06:18 PM
hi All
no i dont think i ve heard a bad Sui.
just got an au9500 into service and am astounded by the sound.
i didnt expect it to pair up well with LS3 5A s but boy it gives the little speakers a workout - real authority.
Awaiting return of 111 - some idiot earlier owner had bypassed certain circuits eg tone , filters, even balance ! now a pal of mine is going bonkers trying to sort out the wires. i fear it may then need recap and other expensf work .....

For sure if you own that AU-111, if it has not already had all the caps replaced, that would be something that it would need without a doubt. All the coupling caps, all the can caps would probably need restuffing in time as well. I just did an old tube amp, got to the parts list off the schemetic get the values of all the old caps and start ordering them and there are other things as well. Depending on the rectifier, if is not a tube rectifier it would probably need looking at. Have all the tubes tested, checking the biases. It took me almost 5 months to go thru a small tube amp, and there are still somethings I want to do to improve it. The AU-111 is a an amp I think would be pretty worthy of making a long term project of getting everything right. The cost to go thru a tube amp is not cheap, but if you want it working right, you either have to pay the price or its not going to reward you with the sound that they are worthy of.

bluesky
06-19-2012, 09:46 PM
Tactics?

Get to know the seller. Then he will tell you the truth.

bluesky
06-19-2012, 10:22 PM
What is the best sounding Sansui ??

The one that sounds the best to you.

joeybuckets
06-19-2012, 10:41 PM
9090/db

bluesky
06-19-2012, 10:53 PM
9090/db

Those 9090DB/9090s must sound good!

KentTeffeteller
06-19-2012, 11:08 PM
9090 for me or the 4000.

rasenthiran
06-19-2012, 11:09 PM
"What is the best sounding Sansui ?? "

The one that sounds the best to you.

Hi Bluesky,

I agree with you,I have Sansui AU 777 and AU 999,both without recap and i still find the AU 777 suites me. The AU 999 sounds similiar but seems bright. Need to match a correct speakers to get the sound,but the clarity unbeatable.:)

sibelius
06-20-2012, 06:03 AM
i have just listened to my very first sansui, the 888. i love it, I sat there smiling as I listened to Jethro tulls "stand up" using a pioneer sl 510a TT and akai sw 137 speakers. i am only borrowing the amp for a couple of days as I wanted to hear for myself what all the hype is about and now I'm a believer!

kevzep
06-20-2012, 06:09 AM
i have just listened to my very first sansui, the 888. i love it, I sat there smiling as I listened to Jethro tulls "stand up" using a pioneer sl 510a TT and akai sw 137 speakers. i am only borrowing the amp for a couple of days as I wanted to hear for myself what all the hype is about and now I'm a believer!

Well, now you've done it!! Are you gonna give it back, or run for the hills!! (with the Sansui)......

Deubi
06-20-2012, 07:06 AM
...If it were my Sansui , you would have to run very , very far away...:D

...Congratulations to your very first Sansui-sound experience - I remember the first time that i heard a 'sui , it was back in '77 - i just could'nt believe , that the little AU 317 of a friend of mine was Sounding Better than my mighty Telefunken receiver......

...You just have to go and get one...:thmbsp:

ossodiseppia
06-20-2012, 09:10 AM
.... I would become a AK member and put a want add, or look at the barter town, that way you will end up dealing with someone who you will be able to trust more with the shipping and getting it to Australia without damage.....

Here's another idea. Enlist the aid of an AK'er to help with the packing and shipping. I helped a fellow in NY with the purchase of a nice Sansui in Denver. I bought the needed supplies and packed it up for him. He made all of the shipping arrangements and paid for it. I printed labels and affixed them to the boxes before dropping them off at FEDEX.

The story had a very happy ending and I got a tip for my efforts. :thmbsp:

tiga
06-20-2012, 01:56 PM
Those 9090DB/9090s must sound good!

They sure do!!

sansui88
06-20-2012, 02:39 PM
Hello everyone, For me my sansui ba and ca 3000 are the best combo ive heard so far. I've owned the 221 receiver, au-11000a, ba-ca2000, au-317, au-719 and a au-x911dg oh and a 7070 receiver. Ive never heard a bad sansui

sansui88
06-20-2012, 03:39 PM
forgot one off the list an au-g90x as well

sibelius
06-21-2012, 02:16 AM
I would love to keep it! but I will just have to save my pennies and wait for my time :)

RPMz
06-30-2012, 07:01 PM
Out of the ones that I've heard I like the AU-9500 and G-871DB best

zombie1210
07-10-2012, 06:19 PM
"Best" for me is my fully restored to like new, 9090DB. Because its the sound I had back when my first 9090DB was brand new. It's what I expect a Sansui to sound like.

bluesky
07-10-2012, 08:08 PM
Sound ' Quality ' is different from raw Sansui power.

Sansui made so many mighty fine sounding amps, many series.

I love my present amp but would love to have:

1. AU-X1111 MOS Vintage

2. AU-111, or AU-111 "Vintage" (That would be soooooo coooool), or the AU-111G (Which I really don't need, I'm not into SACD, but it would be nice!)

Any of those would be some 'mighty fine sound Quality'.

zombie1210
07-10-2012, 09:02 PM
If it makes you smile when you listen, its good sound. A lot of Sui's make me smile. Kind of a silly topic, actually, because nobody hears the same thing the same as the next guy.

bluesky
07-11-2012, 12:34 PM
If it makes you smile when you listen, its good sound. A lot of Sui's make me smile. Kind of a silly topic, actually, because nobody hears the same thing the same as the next guy.

Well said. That's it Exactly! :thmbsp:

Yes indeed...a Smile on your Face!

Tsushima1
07-12-2012, 04:48 AM
Sound ' Quality ' is different from raw Sansui power.

Sansui made so many mighty fine sounding amps, many series.

I love my present amp but would love to have:

1. AU-X1111 MOS Vintage

2. AU-111

Any of those would be some 'mighty fine sound Quality'.

Quality choice there Mr sky , complete the trio with a Large G or B and you would have all bases pretty much covered methinks :smoke:

peace train
08-03-2012, 01:40 AM
Has anyone actually heard the later 90's models? (I'd even be happy if you know someone who's sister's friend heard one!) I'm just curious whether they're in the same caliber of gear that comprises the "Sansui sound?"

After reading through the posts on these threads, I've been torn between picking up an AU-999, AU-9500, AU 717 or BA-F1 when I came across a collector who's selling off his collection of mint AU-07, AU-D907, AU-D907G, AU907X, AU-907i, AUa907 Limited, C2302, B2302, and even a BA-5000.

Talk about doing an about turn! I came very close to making him an offer today on the AU-07, but there's so little information on any of these 90's models, and something just didn't sit right. For the prices he's asking, I considered flying out to audition in person, just not sure at this point.

Any personal listening recommendations?

scottrt
08-03-2012, 04:21 AM
The C-2302 and B-2302 Vintage line pieces are architectural and sonic no-expense spared beauties.

S/N ratio of 110 db, and how many pre-amps weigh 58lbs?! VERY Rare and very very pricey, but built to a standard beyond anything else I've ever seen or heard of.

Scott T.

bluesky
08-03-2012, 02:42 PM
Has anyone actually heard the later 90's models? (I'd even be happy if you know someone who's sister's friend heard one!) I'm just curious whether they're in the same caliber of gear that comprises the "Sansui sound?" Talk about doing an about turn! I came very close to making him an offer today on the AU-07, but there's so little information on any of these 90's models, and something just didn't sit right. For the prices he's asking, I considered flying out to audition in person, just not sure at this point.

Any personal listening recommendations?

I've never heard a 90s Sansui amp. With that said...

An AU-07 "Anniversary"? I'd be jumping on that one in a heartbeat! They sell for Big $$$ in Japan. Like minumum $2300++ or something like that. It may even sell for $2700-3000+. Seen asking prices of $3500, but those were 'asking prices', not auction prices. I have the exact prices for units sold on Yahoo Japan but can't open my notes right now, Desktop PC crashed. It never ends.

It would be almost exactly like an AU-717/919 type 07 amp with that 'deep delicious' amp sound...same exact circuits, only much newer! :thmbsp: Maybe even better with higher quality inside componets! Proably same exact transformers, made my Hasimoto(?) . It would be a really VERY nice serious score!!

The AU-07 "Anniversary" is a serious Sansui collectors amp. 1998 I believe. The other two later models of that 'vintage type series' would be the 1999(?) AU-111 "Vintage" and the 2001(?) AU-111 'G' tube amps (if I got the dates right). All 3 sell for BIG dollars (Yen) in Japan. High demand amps.

If it works right, and wasn't ever plugged into 120V USA voltage, by mistake, 'without' a step down transformer... If it was, damage can result. It's a 100V amp made for use in Japan, I believe. I'm not exactly sure. I don't believe it was an amp for international sales. 90%+ sure it's 100V.

Yeah...If I was you...I'd be making some phone calls and checking things out! :)

That would be an amp that you wouldn't want slipping out of your hands. Nice Amp!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck!!

michaelhigh
08-03-2012, 05:52 PM
Which one sounds best? Mine!!!

Hyperion
08-03-2012, 07:01 PM
Which one sounds best? Mine!!!

Nope... wrong - MINE !

Van73
08-05-2012, 10:07 PM
Nope... wrong - MINE !

"Love the one your with..":sing:

Van73
08-05-2012, 10:12 PM
I first delved into Sansui with a 7070. I later stepped up to a G-8000. My expectations for the G, were high. I wasn't let down but, that 7070 sure sounded sweet as well and has a lot to offer.

I don't think there are many bad receivers/amps, if any, to be had from Sansui. It's just a matter of what flavor you like and what you can afford. IMHO.:thmbsp:

bluesky
08-06-2012, 12:39 AM
Sansui Flavors!

Tasty.

peace train
08-11-2012, 06:22 PM
"Love the one your with..":sing:

Ha, yes I agree! The one we have is always the best, and the one we want makes it seem like it no longer exists!

So, to recap my attempts to purchase the AU-07: I trusted my initial impressions that I previously discussed and followed my gut. And along with moral support from bluesky, just decided to let it go.

To make a long story short, it's always my goal to get the seller to spell things out in writing so that I have recourse in the event there's a "he said/she said" discrepancy later on. And as simple as my questions were, the guy never would answer all of them. He acted like he knew it all, but kept contradicting himself and got real pissy when I backed out of the deal early last week.

"His" stuff is currently listed on Audiogon under the name of...well, just do a search for Sansui and you'll see all the most coveted Sansui gear. Then click on the seller, and take a look at what he's selling. You'll see the most coveted gear from every manufacturer. And yet, he only has two sales on Audiogon...for cable.

Today I discovered this AK link from a couple years ago that discusses this exact seller, and his entire m/o:
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=3415872#post3415872

Not to detract from the discussion at hand, but I didn't want to leave anyone hanging. Will repost everything in a new thread about what to watch out for when buying online. I'm not out to chastise this person who is named in the above link, but I may include the entire discussion between us if I think it will help people avoid being scammed.

I thank everyone for their info and advice. And a big thanks and much gratitude to bluesky for all his info, research and help!!!

peace train
08-11-2012, 09:54 PM
And back to the discussion: Even though they're receivers, I've enjoyed the 9090DB in the past, and currently find the 661 to be quite pleasant as well - with the right speakers. I can't speak to the rest of the models, other than what I've read and have been told. It doesn't seem like you can go wrong with any Sansui!

(was just made aware that my avatar doesn't show. will see what I can do about it shortly.)

DonQuixote99
08-11-2012, 09:57 PM
I see it! Green glowing angel-like figure, real pretty!

Hyperion
08-12-2012, 05:02 AM
Ah, Sorry peace train - I am using Chrome here and all I see is "peace train's avatar" in text, with a broken graphic icon.

Switching to IE8 however, I now see the Green Angel too :banana:

My apologies.

peace train
08-12-2012, 05:10 AM
Thanks DonQuixote99! No worries John, I just got the search thing straightened out with your help too. (although my laptop actually had been acting up the past couple weeks) Loving AK even more now!!! :banana:

ghamilton
08-13-2012, 02:34 PM
I just love my AU-919. A straight-wire with gain! Very lovely.
I recapped it a while back with the help of these fine experts on AK.
See this link below.
http://www.thevintageknob.org/sansui-AU-919.html

:worthless

jose7740
08-13-2012, 10:41 PM
I could not tell which one sound better, the speakers is what you hear and that is what is needed to compare, I bought the B2101 and C2101 because they looked impressive and have been very reliable.:music:

ausgeflippt
09-17-2012, 12:56 PM
I'm a little late to this party, but...
My review at long last of Sansui amps after 5 years of collecting, listening and lurking is too long to post here (2800 words), so I uploaded a pdf to my cat's website at
http://wagthecat.com/suisaga.htm
This method also allows me to tinker with it.
Items discussed: G-9000, CA/BA-3000, CA/BA-F1, AU-11000/(A), AU-919, AU/TU-717, AU-D11 II, AU-555A, TU-9900, TU-666, etc.
Click on "The Sansui Saga" for the text; and on "Central Command" for a photo of the Command Center.
Thanks for everyone's help with this.

EPI-Center
09-17-2012, 02:48 PM
I have had au-7700, au-9500, au-719, au-d11II, g9000, 1000a and honestly I can't just pick one and declare it the winner. It really depends on what you're looking for and your tastes. I know that synergy can be an issue, i have some speakers that the au-9500 sounds fabulous on and some that I don't like as well, speakers that the 9500 doesn't work with the 719 or D11 will work with.

I do know that the 9500 has the best low end slam of any amp I've heard, i don't think it's the preamp either, I think it's an incredibly well engineered amplifier. To me it's like the AR9's of amplifiers with the loads-o-nuts bass it has. The g9000 to me just had incredible separation and FM was outstanding. I'd love to hear an 8 someday.

gagelle
09-17-2012, 05:09 PM
I have had au-7700, au-9500, au-719, au-d11II, g9000, 1000a and honestly I can't just pick one and declare it the winner. It really depends on what you're looking for and your tastes. I know that synergy can be an issue, i have some speakers that the au-9500 sounds fabulous on and some that I don't like as well, speakers that the 9500 doesn't work with the 719 or D11 will work with.

I do know that the 9500 has the best low end slam of any amp I've heard, i don't think it's the preamp either, I think it's an incredibly well engineered amplifier. To me it's like the AR9's of amplifiers with the loads-o-nuts bass it has. The g9000 to me just had incredible separation and FM was outstanding. I'd love to hear an 8 someday.

I have to agree. Much depends on the synergy with your speakers, turntable cartridge, and room acoustics. I have bright horn speakers so I tend to favor the more tube like sound of some of the earlier models. But I have to admit that my G-8000 has incredible separation. In a Led Zeppelin song with a fast drum segment, for example, each drum has a distinct sound that doesn't get drowned out by the other drums. Yet the 8000 still has the characteristic Sansui warmth. So I would vote for the G-9000 or 8000.

jfzea
09-18-2012, 10:46 AM
I have had some amplifiers in the Sansui brand, about those I feel more musical the AUD-11 of the early 80s. Even the AUD-9 has the same bagde.

The AUD819 (of 1978 or so) is very good and musical too but with a little emphasis in the mid-high frequencies.

The new series AU-Alpha have a different sound, for example I have had the AUalpha607L-extra. For hearing it for some minutes it is OK but I feel it with a emphasis in the high frequencies which are not easily controlable by the tone controls. I sold this amp to a man who are using it in a big place, he needs more high frequency.

11-05-2012, 03:04 AM
Great discussion, many good choices, alot of considerations to take into account, for example, AU-X1 is quite an amplifier, but it has issues with instability (oscillation), the D11 II (over-senstive protection circuit, etc), some folks like the early 70's era (AU-9500), others such as myself- the latter 70's... so its not easy to narrow it down, as well as making comparisons between models that can vary in wattage and $ price. My # 1 pick which has it all in terms of Power, Sound, Design, Reliability, etc: Sansui BA-5000.

11-05-2012, 03:12 AM
ps: other good choices:

B-2302-C-2302 (if you can afford it, :)

B-2301/C-2301

BA-F1/CA-F1

BA-3000/2000-CA-2000

AU-919/717 (clean that glue!)

AU-11000-a/9900

AU-D11/D9

AU-7900/7700...

G-9000 (33k & 22k)...6000

9090DB..7070

G-9700...7700 (tuner ic chip concern)

Tube: AU-111

EdibleHead
11-05-2012, 06:31 AM
My review at long last of Sansui amps after 5 years of collecting, listening and lurking is too long to post here (2800 words), so I uploaded a pdf to my cat's website at
Items discussed: G-9000, CA/BA-3000, CA/BA-F1, AU-11000/(A), AU-919, AU/TU-717, AU-D11 II, AU-555A, TU-9900, TU-666, etc.
Click on "The Sansui Saga" for the text; and on "Central Command" for a photo of the Command Center.

an enjoyable read, thanks for sharing your Sansui experience :thmbsp:

1JGP1
01-01-2013, 11:13 PM
I know the thread is old, but I have some interesting information I would like to add.

Just for some background, I've owned my fair of share of Sansui:
5050, G4700, G7000, G8000, G9000, G9000db, G22000, AU9500/TU9500, AU999, AU111, TU717, TU9900, B2301, SR838...have I forgot one?
-->hopefully it gives some contrast to the next comments...

"I love Sansui..." and <yup> I sold them all a while ago. I went to a darker place...I bought a Luxman L503s (new generation) and I found that my love affair just could not match the new Luxman sound...it was elegant, smooth, easy to listen to at any volume with tone flat...Best of all, it was engaging and life-like. Shortly, the great Limited Edition Lux would be bested.

The other month I came across a B2105 Vintage Mos on ebay at 3:30am (don't ask). I did my quick research, I was right, this was the FINAL Mosfet Amplifer for Sansui in 1999 and a rare beast indeed. So, a empty wallet later and the 90 pound masterpiece arrives.

Floored was the best way to describe it. Copper chassis, matched mos-fets, every screw COPPER...buss-bars-->COPPER...the feet, you guessed it --COPPER, but--white leather on the bottom! High end connections, balanced (& fixed inputs), massive MASSIVE transformer, high end caps, Swiss volume control. This amplifier was (most certainly) it would seem what you would have expected for the $5,000 price tag it once owned.

Now for the fun part.

I had no pre-amplifiers left--all sold. What to do? What to do? --(embarrassed but true) I used my headphone jack on my IPAD to run it and I nearly fell off my couch. The sound was stunning, and all through a ?IPAD?

Now it's connect to the pre-out on a new Denon 100 Anniversary Integrated (PA-A100) and running in direct mode to by-pass all the controls and it sounds even better. Did I mention that Denon sounds pretty damm good itself?

The sound is like fine wine and diamonds. I mean, you feel like getting dressed up to put your favorite cd in. It is accurate, but not sterile. It is engaging-quick-but delicate. It is smooth and very easy to listen to. I can say it takes the best of what I found in Sansui before and raised it about 10 notches. To me, it is the ultimate in Sansui...AND, I've owned some of the very best.

The soundstage is big, but not overdone--the little things seem to be bigger & sweeter. The reverb of a guitar, the plinking of the piano's keys, the gentle breath before Dianna Krall starts her next notes. All of this, but NOT too analytical.

It's a, in my opinion, a near perfect blend of everything I've heard--and, I've owned alot of stuff from MAC, Bryston, Parasound...tubes galore, and so on.

I think they did something really well. They made one last attempt to prove that Sansui was a Audio Legacy.

It runs class A, it gets hot. That's the only downside...so, I use a fan to keep it's precious Mos-fets in check.

If you ever find one, buy it! The final mos-fet amps are something else. The power sections on them are the same as the very rare Vintage Integrated (AUX111) from what I understand. Now, the next most difficult thing to do will be to find (one day) it's matching pre-amplifer, the C-2105...good luck with that I say!

Sansui made some great stuff, too bad they are now a thing of the past.

JGP

czubsi
01-10-2013, 08:01 AM
Hello!
As I read your entries on the best Sansui do not understand what is the best?

The most accurate is playing AU-alpha 907DR
The most similar (and appreciated) to the legend AU AU-111 is alpha 907MR (MRX is truncated rule! - She had an American version of the model filtration Inventory KX!))
AU-07 in my opinion is playing unevenly. AU-alpha 907NRA playing too hard and forcefully.

I say this because I listened to all the old models.

Who has not listened to the new alph has no idea of ​​their value!
Bo and where? Old models like even though they have no chance with the new Alpha 907 series! I understand that few could hear the Alpha ...

AU-X1111MOS is nice but it's an old design with similar defects as the AU-alpha 907i!

By far the best are: B2302/C2302, AU-alpha 907limited!

Here is everything:

http://www.audiostereo.pl/klub-milosnikow-sansui_60891.html/page__st__1950#entry2690205

Below I present my Sansui AU-alpha907MR (I have AU-alpha 907DR - japan version)

DonQuixote99
01-10-2013, 08:39 AM
Thank-you czubsi, it is interesting to learn of that series.

I read elsewhere that after the late 1980's, no high-end Sansui amplifiers were imported in the U.S. This would explain why few here have experience with the models you mention.

The writer on this site considers the 1995 AU-ALPHA 907-MR to have reached the performance level of the 1966 AU-111 tube amp: http://www.sansui.us/issues_AU111vsAL907MR.htm But he was able to make the comparison only because he was fortunate in obtaining a single unit brought to the US for exhibition purposes.

czubsi
01-10-2013, 08:46 AM
My Sansui AUX911DG and AU-X711

DonQuixote99
AU-alpha 907MR. It was created to prove that you can build a transistor plays as a lamp! 907MR = AU111!
Compare the main filter capacitor in the link and me Sansui alpha-907MR ! (U.S. and Japan model !)

czubsi
01-10-2013, 09:02 AM
Sansui AU-X901

czubsi
01-10-2013, 09:03 AM
My Sansui AU-alpha907i

czubsi
01-10-2013, 09:08 AM
My Sansui AU-alpha 907DR and Sansui AU-alpha 907MR :-)

Hyperion
01-10-2013, 01:33 PM
Nice gear :drool: nice pictures...

sanmar
01-10-2013, 02:10 PM
AU-X1111MOS is nice but it's an old design with similar defects as the AU-alpha 907i!

Please explain meaning of "similar defects"

Hyperion
01-10-2013, 05:12 PM
:lurk:

Pepa
01-10-2013, 05:15 PM
:lurk:

:no:

:D

Hyperion
01-10-2013, 05:53 PM
Ah I see, no point in lurking because there won't be anything to see (read).

Nothing to see here...... move along...... move along.....:D

montelatici
01-10-2013, 07:50 PM

kev,

Step-down transformers we used to use in Europe, (for US equipment/appliances) not only dropped the voltage but regulated the voltage which was not so steady in the 1950s and 1960s in Europe. Post war and all that. They were issued by the housing office (my dad was in the military) and were supposed to protect american refrigerators, washing machines, HIFIs (the big consoles) etc.

czubsi
01-11-2013, 02:31 AM
Hello!

Take into account the time difference between the U.S., Australia and .... Polish. When you write you I sleep ...

Hyperion doubt in my knowledge? Your model for me is only 9 in order and will not change anything that you like him ...

The problem is extensive. With my English will be difficult to explain this ... But I will try.

AU-X1111 MOS Vintage (no AU-X111 Vintage MOS because it is worse))
Alpha and AU-907, AU-907i alpha, alpha AU-907L extra structures are based on the "old scheme" We call it in our "noble" because it is a very large and complex.
From model DR scheme was heavily ukrojony of unnecessary things and improved. It came out in favor of it in terms of sound quality! Added a much better part! To understand what is responsible for the exceptional quality of the Sansui need to know where are the important points! Do you think that this topology. In part, yes. However, the most important quality produce shunts jump! High-quality parts! Reading the forum you all there!AU-X1111 MOS Vintage is the best amp for the "old scheme".

But clearly stands out from the later construction of the alpha 907DR or XR, MR.
Your amplifier Hyperion is much better than the competition because it's a great design but later disappears Sansui brothers. I do not know about that because I do not have a comparison - how many of you people is that compared AU-X1111 MOS AU-alpha to 907 MR? ...

I will try to show what is worse

1) AU-X 1111 MOS Vintage - Old transformer Sansui
Alpha 907 DR / XR / MR - Tamura transformer! (I do not know a better design transformer ...)

2) AU-X 1111 MOS Vintage - the main filtration old brown HITACON
Alpha 907 DR / XR / MR - much better NICHICON Silmic Super Gold + Gold

3) AU-X 1111 MOS Vintage - Nippon capacitors AWF (old and unstable)
Alpha 907 DR / XR / MR - Silmic Elna, Elna Silmic Gold, Elna Silmic Alpha Gold - excellent conditioning and to that of high-end shunts SA and polystyrene!

czubsi
01-11-2013, 03:12 AM
4) AU-X 1111 MOS Vintage - only 16 pieces RIKEN RMG and 7 polypropylene u-con
Alpha 907 DR / XR / MR - more than 80 pieces of RMG RIKEN and metallic! 36 Polypropylene u-con!

5) AU-X 1111 MOS Vintage - MOSFET transistor Toschiba (good but old transistors - today you can get the better)
Alpha 907 DR / XR / MR - excellent SANKEN LAPT 2 on copper plate - you will not find them anywhere except Sansui! 100% non-magnetic construction!

Differences to the detriment of the AU-X1111 MOS Vintage is much more, but it makes no sense to write a book here. It is understandable that defend your ...

Naming AU-X1111 MOS Vintage Sansui king is the same as saying that the dinosaurs went straight :-)

Compared to the AU-alpha 907DR is ... Emperor! AU-X1111 MOS Vintage game by a blanket as compared to the AU-alpha 907DR/KX, XR, MR, NRA!
You will understand when they listen to it!

I do not think you know (because why?) AU-X 1111 = B2102 MOS Vintage and pre section!

I hope I drew you a little about it.

Always valued Audiokarma entries for culture forum members. The only reason I decided to share with us what we know already! By lack of access to alpha 907 models until now, most know the real value of Sansui!
We have a large proportion of the your!

I greet colleagues

czubsi
01-11-2013, 03:17 AM
Hyperion - this is missing in the AU-X1111 MOS Vintage

Hyperion
01-11-2013, 04:25 AM
Hello!

Take into account the time difference between the U.S., Australia and .... Polish. When you write you I sleep ...

Hyperion doubt in my knowledge? Your model for me is only 9 in order and will not change anything that you like him ...

"Doubt your knowledge"? - On the contrary - you seem have had a lot of experience of these models, I am keen to read what you have to say - however, I don't think I mentioned (in this thread) which Sansui amplifiers I own - which model is '9' in order?

The problem is extensive. With my English will be difficult to explain this ... But I will try.

AU-X1111 MOS Vintage (no AU-X111 Vintage MOS because it is worse))
Alpha and AU-907, AU-907i alpha, alpha AU-907L extra structures are based on the "old scheme" We call it in our "noble" because it is a very large and complex.
From model DR scheme was heavily ukrojony of unnecessary things and improved. It came out in favor of it in terms of sound quality! Added a much better part! To understand what is responsible for the exceptional quality of the Sansui need to know where are the important points! Do you think that this topology. In part, yes. However, the most important quality produce shunts jump! High-quality parts! Reading the forum you all there!AU-X1111 MOS Vintage is the best amp for the "old scheme".

But clearly stands out from the later construction of the alpha 907DR or XR, MR.
Your amplifier Hyperion is much better than the competition because it's a great design but later disappears Sansui brothers. I do not know about that because I do not have a comparison - how many of you people is that compared AU-X1111 MOS AU-alpha to 907 MR? ...

My amplifier .... which??? - I do not own any of the ones you mention.

I will try to show what is worse

Alpha 907 DR / XR / MR - Tamura transformer! (I do not know a better design transformer ...)

2) AU-X 1111 MOS Vintage - the main filtration old brown HITACON
Alpha 907 DR / XR / MR - much better NICHICON Silmic Super Gold + Gold

3) AU-X 1111 MOS Vintage - Nippon capacitors AWF (old and unstable)
Alpha 907 DR / XR / MR - Silmic Elna, Elna Silmic Gold, Elna Silmic Alpha Gold - excellent conditioning and to that of high-end shunts SA and polystyrene!

So, you are saying you need to add these components to make an AU-X1111 sound good? I am in no position to doubt you, as I have never owned such a marvellous amplifier.

Interesting thread as these models are not often discussed because of their rarity. Or that people who own them, presumably like them so much that they are seldom seen being sold.

sanmar
01-11-2013, 04:56 AM

Small addition
Last version from 1992 have also Tamura :)

p.s.
What I hear from Sansui , and for my taste the best sound have C/B-2301

Pepa
01-11-2013, 11:50 AM

czubsi,can you identify (recognize) some of the elements I've circled?:scratch2:

http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz292/pepa131/1111/22_zpsfadb9aac.jpg

...just saying

:D

czubsi
01-11-2013, 12:42 PM
Hyperion sorry! I thought that you have the AU-X1111MOS Vintage :-)

Pepa agrees! Recent examples have Silmic and Tamura! This does not change what I wrote. I will try to paste a few pics for comparison!

AU-X1111 MOS Vintage

czubsi
01-11-2013, 12:55 PM
AU-alpha 907 DR/XR/MR (black polypropylene - u-con, blue and orange resistors RIKEN)

P.s.
Appreciate that it's the only photo in the network power amplifiers MR Alpha 907! ..

bluesky
01-11-2013, 01:18 PM
The best sounding Sansui amp is the one that sounds best to you.

One that works and functions right, as designed.

As with any stereo amp...one that you can live with and think, and say to yourself: "I really 'L I K E ' this amp!!" And if you can say you really 'love' this amp...man, you really got it then!

Never heard a Sansui MOS but an Alpha MOS would be nice!
So would an AU-X1111 MOS Vintage. (This amp would be the ticket!!)
Problem: no spare MOS chips anymore for Sansui amps.

Or the tube 1999 AU-111 'Vintage' or the 20000 AU-111G. But quite expensive and needs to be shipped from Japan. Japanese Voltage % Hz too. Super tube amps and pretty new too. Don't know where you would get the schematics though for those specific models.

Nothing wrong with the 1980 AU-717 (AU-919), if you get the glue off the boards and restore it. GREAT sounding amps. Really a 'deep' sound. Kind of like a live concert...a real sound. I do love these amps.

What applications are you going to use the amp for??? How much power do you need?? How big is your listening space?

An alpha would be super nice! AU-X901s sound great. I'm sure for regular listening spaces the AU-X701 would be just 'fine'! Just saw another one sell for really cheap on eBay.

I'd love to hear an AU-70. And TU-70. Can't remember ever hearing one but bet it's a nice combo. And the tube sound.

Just whatever amp you like the sound of really. Great sound, deep sound, audiophile sound, and amp that sounds great with records, or CDs...many different Sansui 'sounds': tube, early SS, 07, X, alpha, and MOS. And you have the Definition and Professional series too, as well as Quad too. Also...what transformer(s) does it have, like Tamura. It also depends heavily on how much money you personally have to spend on the gear. Of course. And dependiibility. Keep in mind that amps prior 1980 will need a restoration sooner than later to sound optimum. Though, some still sound great as they are without restoration. But it will need a restoration sooner than later.

So it's hard to say: "Which amp sounds the best". There are So Many Factors involved.

Just find the amp you like the sound of, that you can live with and unconditionally enjoy, and you got it! There is always better, and there is always worse.

Personally...I'd get an AU-X1111 "Vintage", AU-X901 (which I have now, it's nice!), AU-X701 ( an outstanding amp on a budget - they sell for $150-$200(+/-), or an Alpha from Japan. For tubes I'd get the AU-111 "Vintage" or the AU-111G. Or just fully restore and AU-717 (great for LPs and CDs) or if you like to play your music louder and play a lot of records..the AU-919. Or if you love that 'classic look', and don't need a lot of power, a 5000X. Guys love the higher number 'G' series too. :thmbsp:

Now if your going to get an Alpha you have to do your research! Some are much better than others. And if you going to get an Alpha, and have it shipped from Japan ($$$), you may as well get a better model! right!

Just find the Sansui amp that's got the 'magic' for you.

(Same stands true for any brand of stereo amplifier really.)

Good luck and happy hunting!! :yes: It's 'really great' when you find it!! :yes:

Hyperion
01-11-2013, 01:34 PM
Hyperion sorry! I thought that you have the AU-X1111MOS Vintage :-)

Pepa agrees! Recent examples have Silmic and Tamura! This does not change what I wrote. I will try to paste a few pics for comparison!

AU-X1111 MOS Vintage

That's OK - for the record I have AU-717, AU-919, AU-D11 II, AU-X701.

czubsi
01-11-2013, 02:08 PM
bluesky you have a lot of reasons. The truth is, however, so that the old models of strong coloring and are not as fast as alpha - the difference is really big!. The rule is so that everyone likes what is :-) But I have what I like!

bluesky

The truth is that the nearest neutral tone pattern is AU-alpha 907DR! Later models such as the XR and MR twist the lamp! Everyone has different tastes but the pattern is the one! You have to hear the Alpha 907DR questioned XR and all will answer!

bluesky listen AU111G 907MR and if they recognize the band put in front of the whiskey!

:yes:

sanmar
01-11-2013, 03:10 PM
Czubsi good writing... You thinking as well as a one member of the Croatian and also of an Audiokarma forum ..... We know that Sansui has manufactured the highest quality equipment, with the top parts from 1990 until its end of 2001. I'm referring to the Alpha 907 DR, MR ....... some Vintage line . But it is not necessarily a guarantee that it will be the best sound. And before this period Sansui was making excellent devices....
If we ignore the measurement devices and other technicalities ....
I think the highest problem is in our ears, heads and especially in our wallet :)

kevzep
01-11-2013, 03:34 PM
Never heard a Sansui MOS but an Alpha MOS would be nice!
So would an AU-X1111 MOS Vintage. (This amp would be the ticket!!)
Problem: no spare MOS chips anymore for Sansui amps.

You really need to change your default response to the MOS Sansui's saying "no spare MOS chip any more". Its sending the wrong message to people potentially interested in these amplifiers.
Firstly they are MOSFET devices (Field Effect Transistors), they are not Chips.. They are also far far more robust than almost any TO-3/TO-3P bipolar transistor and would need something extraordinary or someone doing something incredibly stupid to take them out.
Secondly, although they are no longer manufactured they can be found, I service Perreaux MOSFET amplifiers (1980's models), I have NEVER seen one with blown MOSFETS, even so if they have, I have three sources where I can obtain the devices.....there are plenty of them around.

What I am saying is although some parts are no longer manufactured, it does not mean you cannot get them.

I would take a MOSFET Sansui any day, there is nothing to worry about with parts failing and being unobtainable, because in my book theres no such thing as unobtainable....:thmbsp:

nosirrah
01-11-2013, 05:37 PM
I agree, usually I can find either an exact replacement, or a newer, and really better, substitute. It's not always easy however. And with older transistors you have to watch out for counterfeits.
I have yet to own one of the "newer" integrated amps, my favorite remains the venerable AU 9500, followed closely by the AU 9900.
Some of those newer amps sure look pretty tho. Somehow that seems to affect how people feel about the performance.

Qsiris
01-11-2013, 05:37 PM
My Sansui AUX911DG and AU-X711

I own AU-alpha607L Extra, same as your AU-X711. What main caps do you have ?

Here are mine, Nichicon Gold Supply 12000 F

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=354738&d=1339124643

The amp, made in 1991

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=354737&d=1339124643

nosirrah
01-11-2013, 05:40 PM
Anybody seen the OP? LOL
He last posted in the thread last summer, in June, winter down under.

Conversations do get carried away around here.:yes:

czubsi
01-12-2013, 02:56 AM
Also with us is to talk what better Sansui old or new. I do not judge by appearances. I had a lot of old models (and receivers) also AU-X1111MOS Vintage. Today I 907DR and 907MR because they are better. Equipment can not be judged by photos! The new play is still beautiful but also with greater precision, scale, space, air .... You do not want this in their favorite Sansui?I now just write that you already have ... It's just that in 907 DR / MR / XR / NRA is much better ....

also play with the tuning. However, the new Alpha 907 are so good that improve their basically impossible (to spoil the effect of that!). Hard to change and constructions based on the old scheme as the AU-X901 AU-X1111MOS is. It is difficult to keep the characteristics of Sansui. Choosing capacitors is extremely difficult issue for Sansui. You also mentioned - because better but now we know that it kills the character Sansui. We understood that in these amps is responsible for their speed, accuracy, color, naturalness, and only in this area make changes! Your question your amplifiers ...Sometimes low model after modification can play better than high. AU-X911DG the modifications below. After comparing the AU-X1111MOS Vintage has been sold ...

sometimes appear on the forum talking about the model KOR. I never knew this model. Do you have pics?

czubsi
01-12-2013, 03:18 AM
Osiris

AU-X911DG and AU-X711 are not the equivalent of 607 extra not L extra!

Nichicon Gold Supply 10000 uF/80V

pete_mac
01-12-2013, 03:41 AM
Also with us is to talk what better Sansui old or new. I do not judge by appearances. I had a lot of old models (and receivers) also AU-X1111MOS Vintage. Today I 907DR and 907MR because they are better. Equipment can not be judged by photos! The new play is still beautiful but also with greater precision, scale, space, air .... You do not want this in their favorite Sansui?I now just write that you already have ... It's just that in 907 DR / MR / XR / NRA is much better ....

also play with the tuning. However, the new Alpha 907 are so good that improve their basically impossible (to spoil the effect of that!). Hard to change and constructions based on the old scheme as the AU-X901 AU-X1111MOS is. It is difficult to keep the characteristics of Sansui. Choosing capacitors is extremely difficult issue for Sansui. You also mentioned - because better but now we know that it kills the character Sansui. We understood that in these amps is responsible for their speed, accuracy, color, naturalness, and only in this area make changes! Your question your amplifiers ...Sometimes low model after modification can play better than high. AU-X911DG the modifications below. After comparing the AU-X1111MOS Vintage has been sold ...

sometimes appear on the forum talking about the model KOR. I never knew this model. Do you have pics?

I'd love some specific info (schematics etc) showing where you're retro-fitting the polypropylene and polystyrene bypasses. I've looked at the 911dg schematic and I can't make out where you are fitting them. Are you simply fitting them in parallel with the large power supply decoupling caps? Have you tried this on the AU-X901? Any other mods to the 701/901 that you consider worthwhile?

czubsi
01-12-2013, 04:14 AM
Unfortunately, it's not that easy, especially in such amplifiers as the AU-X901 (owes diagram) ... For you the recipe for great effect in the AU-X901!

http://www.audiostereo.pl/sansui-au-x901-poprawa-brzmienia_59595.html/page__st__30#entry1596997

Elna Silmic and gold Silmic , alpha gold Silmic are very good cappacittors ! But it Electrolite. It has drawbacks that are compensating shunts! Give him acceleration and contour, speed and fast bass

AU-X911DG is the best to improve! The effect is stunning ... cost too ....
After a good modification (Black Gate, Silmic, u-con, Riken ...) plays the alpha level DR 907 / KX only a little smaller scale (after eight transistors is not 16 ...) :D

AWD Nippoon Silmic replace the 1/1 in the power supply can give Silmic + Nichicon KZ but nowhere else! The 901 can do double desymetryzator yet but it's hard to describe ...
scheme for the AU-X901 is the net for free!

mufster
01-12-2013, 07:49 AM
Czubsi, This greatest sansui that you own. What room size is yours in and what speakers do you use. Also, what seperates are you connecting. CD player make/model? Turntable make/model?

I'm really curious.

Paul

czubsi
01-12-2013, 08:58 AM
16,5 m2

RCA and speaker cables I've done the same (AU+AG) ! revelation !

CD
Marantz CD 16 (MOD)
Kenwood DP-8020 (OPA BB 2604) revelation

Speakers
JAMO D570 (great MOD) revelation !

Ampli
Sansui AU-alpha907DR (Japan)
Sansui AU-alpha907MR (Japan)

Column is not the case! They completely rebuilt

Qsiris
01-12-2013, 03:58 PM
Osiris

AU-X911DG and AU-X711 are not the equivalent of 607 extra not L extra!

Nichicon Gold Supply 10000 uF/80V

I am afraid I have to correct you. 607 Extra (1988) did not have nonmagnetic transistors.
607L Extra (1989-1991)was first amp with nonmagnetic transistors, so is X711.
I did some work inside and used X711 schematic. All the same except transformer.
And apparently they upgraded main caps at least in 1991 from 10000 to 12000.

My AU-607L Extra inside :

czubsi
01-13-2013, 02:03 AM
I think my bad translator translated the word :-)

the problem is that the Japanese model is always a bit different for their European version! All LAPT are also non-magnetic ones in total sales as SA1303, etc. For example, AU-alpha707i the equivalent of AU-X901 have a lot of differences! Look at the type of the disc in both ...AU-X911DG was a mutant version of the AU-alpha777 and alpha999 AU-...alpha907 in the Japanese version also differs from the European and sometimes significantly - to the detriment of export version

All LAPT (including commercial versions such as SA1303) were non-magnetic! From model Lextra copper plate used in transistors and that the AU-X711've never seen! AU-X711 is the equivalent of AU-alpha607extra obviously a bit depleted ..

Qsiris
01-14-2013, 12:36 AM
I think my bad translator translated the word :-)

So let me sum it up for you. Correct me if I am wrong.
My understanding is that in your opinion the absolute best is Sansui AU-07 (Anniversary), made in 1996
and probably AU-alpha907Limited , made in 1994.
Of course these are very small production models, nearly impossible to find.
Best of full production models then are early to mid nineties alphas: L Extra, DR, KX, XR.

What do you say about AU-alpha607NRA II from 1999 ? Last production Sansui.
There is one on ebay right now.

czubsi
01-14-2013, 05:34 AM
no! In my statement of AU-07 is relatively far! My ranking:

1) B2302L/C2302L
2) AU-alpha 907LIMITED
3) B2105MOS VINTAGE
4) AU-alpha 907MR / AU-111G
5) AU-alpha 907NRA
6) B2103MOS VINTAGE
7) AU-alpha 907XR / AU-X1111MOS Vintage (last version - TAMURA !)
8) AU-07
9) AU-alpha 907DR/KX and AU-X911DG (my mod !)
10) B2301/C2301
11) AU-X1111MOS Vintage / B2102 MOS Vintage
12) AU-alpha 907i MOS Limited
13) AU-alpha 907 L extra
14) AU-alpha 907i
15) AU-alpha 907
16) B2102/C2102
17) AU-X901

mjs1
01-14-2013, 06:56 AM
Thanks for the postings czubsi

As an owner of a Sansui AU-911 DG I was wondering if you can list or give me a link to your mods. I'm having a hard time Googling them because of the language differences. I think that the 911 DG has excellent sound even without the mods and would be interested in improving it. Also, what do you think of the DAC in the 911 DG and are the mods also appropriate for the Japanese versions of this amp and the ones higher up in this series?

Thanks. Marc

Qsiris
01-14-2013, 08:20 AM
No NRA II on the list ? Any reason for that or you just dont know it ?

czubsi
01-14-2013, 08:35 AM
mjs1
See post # 134 !!!

Qsiris
607 NRAII
I have not heard of the site, but judging it's only alpha 607 ... Each 707 will be better :-) Qualitatively the level of the list of 13) / 14)

Hyperion
01-14-2013, 08:58 AM
I seem to have collected 4 examples from 18+ according to the list - must do better :D

ToniCH
01-14-2013, 09:21 AM
I seem to have collected 4 examples from 18+ according to the list - must do better :D

Luckily mine were not on the list either - no temptation to sell them for huge profit! :banana: In 6 months this thread has been red by everybody and those on the list have their prices skyrocket and they will show keywords like "the best" and "rare" in their e-pay -ads ;) :D

Hyperion
01-14-2013, 09:47 AM
no! In my statement of AU-07 is relatively far! My ranking:

1) B2302L/C2302L
2) AU-alpha 907LIMITED
3) B2105MOS VINTAGE
5) AU-alpha 907NRA
6) B2103MOS VINTAGE
8) AU-07
10) B2301/C2301
13) AU-alpha 907 L extra
14) AU-alpha 907i
15) AU-alpha 907
16) B2102/C2102
17) AU-X901

Dobra robota Czubsi :thmbsp:

czubsi
01-14-2013, 09:51 AM
This list of my feelings! I listened to them all and most did not even see the eyes - it is worth remembering ...

Prices high and valuable Sansui models at the moment and so are attractive compared to today's high-end!

I do not know if you know but the price ratio of the components used on some models Sansui reached 1/3 the price!! Find the other such equipment! approx. 80% of the alpha 907 is limited components made ​​to order

P.s.
Dzięki Hyperion ! :-)

ToniCH
01-14-2013, 11:13 AM
This list of my feelings! I listened to them all ...
Yes, I understand completely. I've never heard even one on your list. So, don't worry I am just joking about the prices and such. I am happy with mine, maybe I don't even want to hear the ones on your list so I wont feel bad about my Sansuis. :music:

czubsi
01-14-2013, 11:40 AM
where are you from? From Sweden? U you have sold some 907 DR (from what I know of 6 pieces :-) ... Nothing is with us-there was even a representative Sansui ...

AU-717 is cool! But this is completely different shelf quality. Listen once such 707DR will have what you have now so that a few times - in every way :-)

ToniCH
01-14-2013, 11:49 AM
where are you from? From Sweden? U you have sold some 907 DR (from what I know of 6 pieces :-) ... Nothing is with us-there was even a representative Sansui ...

AU-717 is cool! But this is completely different shelf quality. Listen once such 707DR will have what you have now so that a few times - in every way :-)
No, from Finland. And I am listening to my AU-9900A right now, very happy with it ;)

Pepa
01-14-2013, 12:22 PM
bluesky you have a lot of reasons. The truth is, however, so that the old models of strong coloring and are not as fast as alpha - the difference is really big!....

I always thought that AU-X1 was (is) the fastest Sansui amp :scratch2:
;)

Yes, I understand completely. I've never heard even one on your list. So, don't worry I am just joking about the prices and such. I am happy with mine, maybe I don't even want to hear the ones on your list so I wont feel bad about my Sansuis. :music:

Tony,there is nothing wrong with your amp.. it is a great amp... just paired it with good pair of speakers and that's it.
Believe me,I could live easily with mine (9900A/11000A...paired with Harbeth SHL-5) for good. :music:

@czubsi
I quickly looked at the Polish forum (using a translator, of course) and if I'm right,you guys over there have couple of 907DR,2 or 3 907MR (not to mention the smaller models). Also, if I understand correctly, you're one of the most experienced (together with Jan), but I did not see that any of the forum members have 907NRA,or A07,or 1111mv, or C/B 2301...am I right?

czubsi
01-14-2013, 01:23 PM
Tonich
AU-X1 was the fastest! Anyway, it caused a lot of problems with it - easy to burn ... Later designs were already fixed bugs.

Pepa almost everything is correct :-)one friend (named młynas) announced that it has 907NRAThere are two AU-X1111 MOS Vintage (w / g my knowledge :-) 907 MR - 2 , 907 DR -3 , 907i - 1, 907 alpha -1 ... There are some 707 DR, 707XR and a pair of power amplifiers. In days to come 707 NRA. You need to take pnp. of note that many owners do not write on the forum - I know many that have and do not write ... 907NRA I had from a friend in Germany for a month. I bought because I thought 907MR, the NRA is better than that w / g me playing too hard and forcefully. DR 907 escaped me because I bought the AU-X1111MOS Vintage in Germany

listened to a number of models or comparing borrowed from friends in Holland and Germany. I try to have the widest possible knowledge of the Sansui to be reliable! Jan is my friend - it got infected Sansui :-)

alpha series so far I did not have to deal with 907XR me something because I still falls ..

Qsiris
01-14-2013, 01:37 PM
I saw the list and its completely dominated by so called 'alphas'.
I have a friend in Russia and he confirmed the same preference.
Must be European taste for elegance and finesse.

Here in USA men want their amps to project strength and power.
"Built like a tank with powerful sound " is what real alpha male wants.
That's the American way ! (Hard admission from someone who owns and enjoys an "alpha" :sigh:)

Amps in champagne colors ? Leave it for European girlimen .

Real men own AU-X1 , the best of Sansui ! :smoke:

Pepa
01-14-2013, 01:55 PM
Tonich
AU-X1 was the fastest! Anyway, it caused a lot of problems with it - easy to burn ... Later designs were already fixed bugs.

Pepa almost everything is correct :-)one friend (named młynas) announced that it has 907NRAThere are two AU-X1111 MOS Vintage (w / g my knowledge :-) 907 MR - 2 , 907 DR -3 , 907i - 1, 907 alpha -1 ... There are some 707 DR, 707XR and a pair of power amplifiers. In days to come 707 NRA. You need to take pnp. of note that many owners do not write on the forum - I know many that have and do not write ... 907NRA I had from a friend in Germany for a month. I bought because I thought 907MR, the NRA is better than that w / g me playing too hard and forcefully. DR 907 escaped me because I bought the AU-X1111MOS Vintage in Germany

listened to a number of models or comparing borrowed from friends in Holland and Germany. I try to have the widest possible knowledge of the Sansui to be reliable! Jan is my friend - it got infected Sansui :-)

alpha series so far I did not have to deal with 907XR me something because I still falls ..

Thanks for the explanation :thmbsp:

That's the American way ! (Hard admission from someone who owns and enjoys an "alpha" :sigh:)

Ha,ha...:lmao:

Qsiris,consider the weight of the alpha amplifiers...over 30 kilos :scratch2:

Almost everything you said is common knowledge :D

B2301/2302 is a real American stuff :thmbsp:

bluesky
01-14-2013, 02:17 PM
bluesky you have a lot of reasons. The truth is, however, so that the old models of strong coloring and are not as fast as alpha - the difference is really big!. The rule is so that everyone likes what is :-) But I have what I like!

bluesky

The truth is that the nearest neutral tone pattern is AU-alpha 907DR! Later models such as the XR and MR twist the lamp! Everyone has different tastes but the pattern is the one! You have to hear the Alpha 907DR questioned XR and all will answer!

bluesky listen AU111G 907MR and if they recognize the band put in front of the whiskey!

I totally agree. :yes:

Thanks Czubsi and all for your in depth write-ups and explinations. Most appreciated!

Czubsi good writing... You thinking as well as a one member of the Croatian and also of an Audiokarma forum ..... We know that Sansui has manufactured the highest quality equipment, with the top parts from 1990 until its end of 2001. I'm referring to the Alpha 907 DR, MR ....... some Vintage line . But it is not necessarily a guarantee that it will be the best sound. And before this period Sansui was making excellent devices....
If we ignore the measurement devices and other technicalities ....
I think the highest problem is in our ears, heads and especially in our wallet :)

I totally agree too. I think for most folks, expecially the wallet part. We all know which amps are the great ones, it's just getting it shipped from Japan.

For me I'm really happy and content with the amp I have, so guess I'm lucky. :)

Would I like an AU-X1111 Vintage? Sure. I'll end up with one 'someday'. Would I like any of a 'few specific' Alphas. Sure.

Is there anything wrong with the older Sansui's? Not really. They sound great!! Maybe they are not of the Alphas quality in design but they sure do sound really good.

Other than specs, for me, it's personally finding an amplifier that you enjoy and are happy and content with. There's always better, there's always worse.

I'd love to have an AU-X1111 Mos Vintage. Someday, maybe.

You really need to change your default response to the MOS Sansui's saying "no spare MOS chip any more". Its sending the wrong message to people potentially interested in these amplifiers.
Firstly they are MOSFET devices (Field Effect Transistors), they are not Chips.. They are also far far more robust than almost any TO-3/TO-3P bipolar transistor and would need something extraordinary or someone doing something incredibly stupid to take them out.
Secondly, although they are no longer manufactured they can be found, I service Perreaux MOSFET amplifiers (1980's models), I have NEVER seen one with blown MOSFETS, even so if they have, I have three sources where I can obtain the devices.....there are plenty of them around.

What I am saying is although some parts are no longer manufactured, it does not mean you cannot get them.

I would take a MOSFET Sansui any day, there i

s nothing to worry about with parts failing and being unobtainable, because in my book theres no such thing as unobtainable....:thmbsp:

Yes, they are not chips. Plenty around, got it! But for us regular folks they may be hard to find. I know you could get them. Somehow. Might have to wait awhile, but as with any rare part...it can be found...someday. Easier if your in the business, like you are.

I've had it with rare parts. I try to stay away from that. I've been looking for a used Sansui W-112 used woofer now for 3 years!!! But you have 3 connections for the MOSFETs so that's really cool!

Side note: Seeing your in the 'business', if you ever find a W-112 used woofer for Sansui's AS-300 speakers...please PM me! :) I can't find one in any country. (short of buying another complete pair of AS-300 speakers just for spare parts). Thanks!!

leesonic
01-14-2013, 02:40 PM
I'd go with an AU-D5 or A-80, but only because I own both of them. :)

Lee.

bluesky
01-14-2013, 02:52 PM
That's OK - for the record I have AU-717, AU-919, AU-D11 II, AU-X701.

How do you like your X701 'as compared to' your: AU-717, AU-919, and AU-D11 II ? :thmbsp:

Used to have an AU-717 and I really loved it. Still have the TU-717.

Karl vd Berg
01-14-2013, 03:23 PM

I think models AU-517/717/919/AU-D11II/AU-X1 are the most elegant and fine Sansui units I've ever seen... and wanted.

Hyperion
01-14-2013, 03:26 PM
How do you like your X701 'as compared to' your: AU-717, AU-919, and AU-D11 II ? :thmbsp:

Used to have an AU-717 and I really loved it. Still have the TU-717.

When I had first re-capped my AU-717 (owned from new) I thought I had never heard anything nicer. After listening to other Sansui amplifiers, some that I reconditioned for AK members (AU-317,517 AU-719 x 2) and my own AU-9900 (re-capped and sold to an AK member), I felt sure that for me anyway, there was better to be heard.

All four of my amplifiers are just a little different in presentation, with the AU-919 & AU-D11 II being closest. The AU-717 seems to favour rock music, it really livens it up with that rich bottom end, and so is just a little coloured. The AU-X701 is very precise, and in a way has a lot in common with the AU-D11 II because of this they both (to a differing degree) seem to favour classical or softer rock music. I love the 'source direct' button on the AU-X701, a new level of clarity is available with this engaged. They are both capable of really good bass extension too. Overall the AU-D11 II is the winner out of the two for something undefinable, something really musical and wonderful happens when the AU-D11 II is in play.

The AU-919 has the clarity and precision of any of them but with added LF punch when its needed, the AU-D11 II has it too but not so pronounced.

With the possible exception of the AU-717 they have the capacity to really really astonish with their realism and imaging. This is to the extent that if a sudden sound occurs in a recording that I wasn't expecting, I jump or flinch a little because it seems so real and accurately positioned. The AU-717 is good at this - just not as good as the others.

For the record - I nearly always use tone controls defeated, and loudness (where fitted) off, I sometimes use the tone controls, usually for a bit of bass 'lift'.

I like them all for different reasons - AU-919 playing now as I type.... really lovely :music:

czubsi
01-14-2013, 04:35 PM
Older structures have limitations. Always pigeonhole them into any particular music. The Alpha 907 does not have this problem! It is difficult to convince the words ... We are trying to do the meeting listening to the volunteers. Group of brand enthusiasts is growing every day! Someone who already has a model 907 Sansui after listening becomes ill - then you need to hear, and so ... I know the sound of AU-717, AU-X1 and I know that's a different scale of expectations. No problem you can imagine better sound. When the model 907 alpha DR does not have the option ... Filling the same FK Black Getami the interior amplifier does not play better. Any technique Sansui sound enhancers do not give nothing. Changes are on the verge of perception. These amplifiers provide the full hologram and 3D sound. even in a small room ... I hope someday to organize an international meeting fans Sansui - perhaps radically alter the spanking over the years built on the basis of judgments and holy images - "it seems to me"!In Poland, it was the same. Today, no one foruje judgment that the old are better. Just because we like them .... available in comparison to the competition in the market are playing much better! Sansui Each is unique!

bluesky
01-14-2013, 05:36 PM
When I had first re-capped my AU-717 (owned from new) I thought I had never heard anything nicer. After listening to other Sansui amplifiers, some that I reconditioned for AK members (AU-317,517 AU-719 x 2) and my own AU-9900 (re-capped and sold to an AK member), I felt sure that for me anyway, there was better to be heard.

All four of my amplifiers are just a little different in presentation, with the AU-919 & AU-D11 II being closest. The AU-717 seems to favour rock music, it really livens it up with that rich bottom end, and so is just a little coloured. The AU-X701 is very precise, and in a way has a lot in common with the AU-D11 II because of this they both (to a differing degree) seem to favour classical or softer rock music. I love the 'source direct' button on the AU-X701, a new level of clarity is available with this engaged. They are both capable of really good bass extension too. Overall the AU-D11 II is the winner out of the two for something undefinable, something really musical and wonderful happens when the AU-D11 II is in play.

The AU-919 has the clarity and precision of any of them but with added LF punch when its needed, the AU-D11 II has it too but not so pronounced.

With the possible exception of the AU-717 they have the capacity to really really astonish with their realism and imaging. This is to the extent that if a sudden sound occurs in a recording that I wasn't expecting, I jump or flinch a little because it seems so real and accurately positioned. The AU-717 is good at this - just not as good as the others.

For the record - I nearly always use tone controls defeated, and loudness (where fitted) off, I sometimes use the tone controls, usually for a bit of bass 'lift'.

I like them all for different reasons - AU-919 playing now as I type.... really lovely :music:

Thanks for the comparisons. Most appreicated.

I too really like the 'source direct' mode.

The AU-717 was really great with rock records. I really thought the 717 was just great with records of all types. But it excelled with rock and roll. It just does have a certain 'deepness' to it. For me, like a live concert.

Thanks again! :thmbsp:

Qsiris
01-14-2013, 06:59 PM
:ntwrthy:

B2301/2302 is a real American stuff :thmbsp:

Agreed. At 37 kilos it must be the one .:ntwrthy:
Lets compare it to a contender.

B2301/2302
Built like a tank ? Check. Powerful sound ? Check. Looks like its going to bite you ? Check.

AU-07 Limited.
Built like a tankette, "sohpisticated" sound and looks like a furniture accessory your wife would approve.

No contest. :yes:

qsaudio
01-14-2013, 07:41 PM
I am a fan of the AU series, not the biggest one, but not the smallest ones, power wise.
The AU20000 don't sound right, as good as it is.

Qsiris
01-14-2013, 09:15 PM
Whoa, people must be reading this thread.
That AU-alpha607NRA II I mentioned earlier just went for a whopping $710 , shipping US only.:jawdrop:
European decadence is spreading, I am telling ya. :mad:

Oh well, at least it was silver, not champagne.

[[/url]

czubsi
01-15-2013, 02:39 AM
$ 710 is a very good price for 607NRAII.
Compare prices 907DR recently sold in Germany: 2621 EUR and 2222 EUR, the dollar is 1/3 more and yet is one of the cheaper alpha ..... 907

Karl vd Berg
01-15-2013, 03:32 PM
Yeah, it's a very good price.

But after seeing that AU-alpha 907NRA, its technology and the "only" 33 kilos of weight I could only imagine if it had a classic 1978 black aluminum fascia in front, the old logo and the whole World wouldn't be the same...

160W+160W (8ohm)
0.003% THD or less (8ohm)
DC-300kHz+0 -3dB
S/N ratio 120dB or more
33kg

Heavier than the mighty AU-919, but less beautiful...

czubsi
01-16-2013, 03:05 AM
my alpha 907MR weighs 32 kg, alpha 907DR 29 kg live and make a human attack with delight ... AU 907NRA Live alpha is one of the nicest I've seen audio equipment - the same goes 907MR. Photos of this in no way show!

AU-919 which looks at just ... poor ... New Alpha fronts are also made ​​of aluminum! One leg 907MR/XR/NRA weighs 0.42 kg ! All the knobs are aluminum, transformer itself weighs 13 kg! In the middle of a lot of copper, PTFE, bitumen, and ... gold! Most of the components are gold-plated legs, the same is on the plate tracks! Old Sansui can only dream of such things! False duplication makes me laugh all over the world theory ... I feel sorry for the Japanese people that isolate the best design and not sent to the export. This also applies to other brands as Luxman, Pioneer, Denon ... New are not only made ​​worse by an elderly but much better! The net replicates hackneyed opinions and the blame for this lies with the lack of alph on the market. There are a few to and knowledge about them is small .. There are different tastes but if someone like coarse DIY design a la the polished in every way "works of art" that has the right :-)

sanmar
01-16-2013, 04:15 AM
I have this devices, and that is my list of "the optimum sound.":music:
1. C/B2301
2.AU-X1111 Mos Vintage
3.AU20000
4.AU9900A/Alpha 607MRX

And this is the best of the best Sansui for me .:thmbsp:

1.C/B2302
2.C/B2301
3.Alpha AU 07 anniversary
4.Alpha AU-907 MOS LTD /AU-X1111 Mos Vintage/

czubsi
01-16-2013, 04:32 AM
sanmar

listened to AU-07? This is one of the few models that do not fit together ... You can see that it is done on the basis of - put all that is good and it will be OK - but this model plays unevenly - forcefully and very melodic - it is difficult to recognize in him Sansui, one thing that has little power and is difficult to compare the strengths of models ... 907 limited is another story ... AU-07 ran out of work on the tuning of the design as the other models - and so of course people will drool because ... was the most expensive of the integrated amplifier :-)

Karl vd Berg
01-16-2013, 07:09 AM
my alpha 907MR weighs 32 kg, alpha 907DR 29 kg live and make a human attack with delight ... AU 907NRA Live alpha is one of the nicest I've seen audio equipment - the same goes 907MR. Photos of this in no way show!

AU-919 which looks at just ... poor ... New Alpha fronts are also made ​​of aluminum! One leg 907MR/XR/NRA weighs 0.42 kg ! All the knobs are aluminum, transformer itself weighs 13 kg! In the middle of a lot of copper, PTFE, bitumen, and ... gold! Most of the components are gold-plated legs, the same is on the plate tracks! Old Sansui can only dream of such things! False duplication makes me laugh all over the world theory ... I feel sorry for the Japanese people that isolate the best design and not sent to the export. This also applies to other brands as Luxman, Pioneer, Denon ... New are not only made ​​worse by an elderly but much better! The net replicates hackneyed opinions and the blame for this lies with the lack of alph on the market. There are a few to and knowledge about them is small .. There are different tastes but if someone like coarse DIY design a la the polished in every way "works of art" that has the right :-)

Let's say they have different sounds and looks...

Amps like AU-919 were the pinnacle of an era and still represents a unique piece of art and will be forever. A huge effort engineers made in a time the vinyl was the king. Surely if they have access to the new developed materials and accumulated expertise they would put them into their 1978 gears.

At the end amps like the 907NRA are nothing less than development from their impressive 1978 catalog.

Same discussion is among Sony worshipers when it comes to the TA-FA777ES model of 2003 and the TA-F7B. Both astonishing pieces of Art & Science...

I'd love to have a "champagne decadent" 907NRA (didn't know Sansui stopped being a Japanese manufacturer in the 90s), but an AU-919 is, like anything truly genuine and brilliant, something that you won't find again...

sanmar
01-16-2013, 07:21 AM
sanmar

listened to AU-07?

No.

That is a list:
1.C/B2302
2.C/B2301
3.Alpha AU 07 anniversary
4.Alpha AU-907 MOS LTD /AU-X1111 Mos Vintage/

made-up of me, and the three ex-Sansui employees who designed and produced high-end models ( Mr. Mitsui, Mr. Sunaga, and Mr. Ishiguro).

czubsi
01-16-2013, 07:42 AM
worth seeking the opinion unless the most important person in the Sansui when it comes to sound - Mr. Ichiro Ohshima. Not to mention the way such people as Mr. Tamura and Haschimoto - their minds were far from your list ... Mr. Ohshima
took over the tradition of opening the company Sansui Aqua Lab continues the work of Sansui somehow. Aqa Lab creates a tube amps but they sound a prototype alpha AU-907MR and 907 limited - this sentence w / the Mr. Ohshimy ....

mufster
01-16-2013, 08:50 AM
Unless someone can put all these sansui's in the same room, the same speakers, the same source and our ears have identical quality then all this "mine is the best" is irrelevant. We all have different tastes and our ears are not the same. Now I have a Sansui QR-6500 which sounds the best, to me. I compare it with my Sansui AU-G90X which is has amazing clear precise sound, but the QR-6500 has a richer, warmer sound which I prefer. I also have a Yamaha MX-1000 Class A power amp, which again sounds amazing. Doesn't get much better than hundreds of watts in class A does it? Well, to my ears, it does. The QR-6500 still sounds better. But is that because of my ears? Is because there are not as many expired components? is it my speakers or could it be my source equipment - CD player, cassette deck, turntable. I really don't know. But one thing I do know. They all sound great and that is all that matters, to me.

My Dad is bigger than your Dad. Please.

Paul

czubsi
01-16-2013, 09:07 AM
the more we like it very rarely is actually the better ....

For your information - as compared 1:1 at home on the same system in different ways - on the basis of saying what you say! I never did not make an opinion on the pictures (like most ...) All the old ladies, including AU-X1, AU20000, BA 5000 facing a difficult decision with alpha 907 and for me the result is obvious. This does not detract from that you like what you :-) I walk up to things without emotion - better is worse than going to the people :-)

I also like a lot of Sansui devices. I particularly like the old receivers with their unique magic ... but do not say they are the best simply because the ideal of faithful sound reproduction far beyond the little-known new constructions and yet the treats this topic

Hyperion
01-16-2013, 09:45 AM
Unless someone can put all these sansui's in the same room, the same speakers, the same source and our ears have identical quality then all this "mine is the best" is irrelevant. We all have different tastes and our ears are not the same. Now I have a Sansui QR-6500 which sounds the best, to me. I compare it with my Sansui AU-G90X which is has amazing clear precise sound, but the QR-6500 has a richer, warmer sound which I prefer. I also have a Yamaha MX-1000 Class A power amp, which again sounds amazing. Doesn't get much better than hundreds of watts in class A does it? Well, to my ears, it does. The QR-6500 still sounds better. But is that because of my ears? Is because there are not as many expired components? is it my speakers or could it be my source equipment - CD player, cassette deck, turntable. I really don't know. But one thing I do know. They all sound great and that is all that matters, to me.

Paul

Well said Paul, this is pretty much where I am with this thread now - it is nice to hear learned people accurately defining the difference between 2 or more models. But there comes a point when validity (arising from different test conditions), has to be called into question. Surely if there are differences, they are so small that they don't matter with equipment of this quality? (Who has owned /listened to them all to form a truly accurate opinion?)

I am rather unlikely to own any of the ones in czubsi's top 17 (unless I win the Lottery :smoke: ), I am very happy with my 4 'lower than No 17' models for the time being :yes: (and... maybe I'll get lucky one day :))

mufster
01-16-2013, 01:15 PM
Well said Paul, this is pretty much where I am with this thread now - it is nice to hear learned people accurately defining the difference between 2 or more models. But there comes a point when validity (arising from different test conditions), has to be called into question. Surely if there are differences, they are so small that they don't matter with equipment of this quality? (Who has owned /listened to them all to form a truly accurate opinion?)

I am rather unlikely to own any of the ones in czubsi's top 17 (unless I win the Lottery :smoke: ), I am very happy with my 4 'lower than No 17' models for the time being :yes: (and... maybe I'll get lucky one day :))

Yeah, it was good to start with, but really has become a "mines better than yours" thread. As you say, the one's we own are all quality. They have their own sound signature which many prefer. I own a 4000 AV amp and to be honest, I prefer the sound from my 900 AV Onkyo. It's not about price or weight. It's about what the individual likes. Looks comes into, but that really is a personal preference, with some liking the uncluttered look and some preferring buttons and meters all over the place!

Paul

Qsiris
01-16-2013, 06:05 PM

Paul

I sold my Lamborghini to get this amp. I had three anyway...:smoke:

01-16-2013, 11:54 PM
Thats an interesting list. The B/C-2302 are very nice models indeed, but they should be, considering the very high price they sold for when new. Most of the models on the list are good choices, though they are more 'modern day' amps, compared to vintage Sansui units of the 1970's, or even 60's (AU-111 tube amp). The 2102 and 901 are good, but I dont see why they would surpass other excellent models such as the BA-F1, G-9000, AU-D11, AU-919 & 717.

The so-called sound quality between all the models can be debated endlessly, but when it comes to which model is the most powerful and ruggedly built, there should no doubt its the incomparable, BA-5000. That it was it made back in 1975, compared to all the "newer designs" that came afterward on the list, is even more of an amazing achievement. Having owned the B-2301, which is a great model, I can say that it doesnt surpass the BA-5000.

The BA-5000 is the only Sansui amplifier I know of that is rated to drive 2 ohm speakers. I'm quite sure the BA-5K is easily up to the task of powering an outdoor sound system, or any type of indoor club-setup, just as well as as being in a home listening system, so its quite flexible & unique in that regard. And the BA-5000 sounds ultra-smooth, so its not just about its astounding power capability, but 'tis nice to have all that Power! Thats why all the other Sansui models bow down and call it 'Daddy' :thmbsp:

1) B2302L/C2302L
2) AU-alpha 907LIMITED
3) B2105MOS VINTAGE
5) AU-alpha 907NRA
6) B2103MOS VINTAGE
8) AU-07
10) B2301/C2301
13) AU-alpha 907 L extra
14) AU-alpha 907i
15) AU-alpha 907
16) B2102/C2102
17) AU-X901

Qsiris
01-17-2013, 01:40 AM
Very manly amp. Looks at you square in the eye.
Military style . I think this one was pulled out from decommissioned B-52. :smoke:

Ths364
01-17-2013, 01:52 AM
Love-Vinyl- I recently have become very enamored of the AU-5500. Perhaps the
AU
-7700, 7500 or similar might be to your liking and would match your tuner. The AU-5500 is closest to my tube amps sonically; not in the proverbial "wooly bass" of tubes sense, or ill-defined "warmth" that people think of when describing tube amps, but a silky treble and midrange that is NOT harsh at all and an honest bass that is substantial but not hyped like some solid-state designs.

czubsi
01-17-2013, 02:20 AM
Thats an interesting list. The B/C-2302 are very nice models indeed, but they should be, considering the very high price they sold for when new. Most of the models on the list are good choices, though they are more 'modern day' amps, compared to vintage Sansui units of the 1970's, or even 60's (AU-111 tube amp). The 2102 and 901 are good, but I dont see why they would surpass other excellent models such as the BA-F1, G-9000, AU-D11, AU-919 & 717.

The so-called sound quality between all the models can be debated endlessly, but when it comes to which model is the most powerful and ruggedly built, there should no doubt its the incomparable, BA-5000. That it was it made back in 1975, compared to all the "newer designs" that came afterward on the list, is even more of an amazing achievement. Having owned the B-2301, which is a great model, I can say that it doesnt surpass the BA-5000.

The BA-5000 is the only Sansui amplifier I know of that is rated to drive 2 ohm speakers. I'm quite sure the BA-5K is easily up to the task of powering an outdoor sound system, or any type of indoor club-setup, just as well as as being in a home listening system, so its quite flexible & unique in that regard. And the BA-5000 sounds ultra-smooth, so its not just about its astounding power capability, but 'tis nice to have all that Power! Thats why all the other Sansui models bow down and call it 'Daddy' :thmbsp:

1) B2302L/C2302L
2) AU-alpha 907LIMITED
3) B2105MOS VINTAGE
5) AU-alpha 907NRA
6) B2103MOS VINTAGE
8) AU-07
10) B2301/C2301
13) AU-alpha 907 L extra
14) AU-alpha 907i
15) AU-alpha 907
16) B2102/C2102
17) AU-X901

I said tested BA 5000 and impress me beyond muscular transmission did not. To others lacked contour and precision. Momentum impressed by it but created a mess on stage ... Of course, they were not degrading the design features just less I liked it because of the characteristics of what the sound I'm looking for. Many things factor adds to the sentiment - I do not - I do not have family in Japan :-)

The list includes only comparing the highest with the newer models of the series. There is no recognized models of the alpha 707 and "oldies" Old models for me as a separate subject. I understand the sound quality as the perfect representation of reality, and in this regard by a significant lack of balance, tonal coloring old model is not listed. Of course, for the holders of old men is no argument ... Everyone has the right to classify your pet is where I want there. I never said that the old ones are bad but I hear that the AU has a beautiful 717 bass just listen though some recommend Alpha 707 - just for comparison and broaden their horizons. Someone who for 30 years did not reduce the cell goes out of his worldview to 4 walls ...

In conclusion: Everyone is entitled to their own high-end, even if it's the best there is much in common

Karl vd Berg
01-17-2013, 07:55 AM
The best Sansui EVER MADE (E.G. re-cap, re-build, etc) is the one I own right now! :music:

It has the most powerful 50Wpc RMS and yet the most brilliant, detailed, warm sound Mankind would ever dream of... :yes:

http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/1245/p1120370b.jpg

czubsi
01-17-2013, 08:00 AM
I'm dying with envy ...

P.S.
Tasteful wallpaper :-)
I have family in Hellevoetsluis (NL) - are similar in the living room :-) ...

Karl vd Berg
01-17-2013, 08:08 AM
I'm dying with envy ...

P.S.
Tasteful wallpaper :-)
I have family in Hellevoetsluis (NL) - are similar in the living room :-) ...

Thanks! The wallpaper is customized for the Sansui sound... :D

BTW, when I'll take the next Sansui I'll rebuild it from corner to corner: all the caps (electrolytics and not, most TRs, all the diodes, most resistors for 1/2W metal film. And the Power caps will be Nippon Chemi-com FTP series (http://www.chemi-con.co.jp/e/catalog/pdf/al-e/al-sepa-e/006-screw/al-ftplg-e-120701.pdf) 12,000uF 63V...

Just for the joy...

EPI-Center
01-17-2013, 12:17 PM
Thanks! The wallpaper is customized for the Sansui sound... :D

BTW, when I'll take the next Sansui I'll rebuild it from corner to corner: all the caps (electrolytics and not, most TRs, all the diodes, most resistors for 1/2W metal film. And the Power caps will be Nippon Chemi-com FTP series (http://www.chemi-con.co.jp/e/catalog/pdf/al-e/al-sepa-e/006-screw/al-ftplg-e-120701.pdf) 12,000uF 63V...

Just for the joy...

the form factor of the 317 is certainly sweet as hell.

bluesky
01-17-2013, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by mufster

Paul

I sold my Lamborghini to get this amp. I had three anyway...:smoke:

Just got 3 really nice, like new, long sleeve Ralph Lauren dress shirts at the Goodwill for 50 cents total (16.7 cents each), after the 50% off black tag sale and I had a $10 off stamped card!! Living in a designer world! haha

Yeah, I know!! :D Does life get any better than this!!!!!!!!!!!

:banana:

(But no new (used) great title M- records. That's ok, I can live with it. Next time!! :) Hidden Goodwill(s) in a rich neighborhood(s) are great places and just a Whole Lotta Fun to visit! Simply amazing!! )

Qsiris
01-17-2013, 05:32 PM
Hey bluesky, are you still looking for TU-X711 tuner ?
Just asking. ;)

JOMARK911
01-18-2013, 09:10 AM

1) B2302L/C2302L
2) AU-alpha 907LIMITED
3) B2105MOS VINTAGE
5) AU-alpha 907NRA
6) B2103MOS VINTAGE
8) AU-07
10) B2301/C2301
13) AU-alpha 907 L extra
14) AU-alpha 907i
15) AU-alpha 907
16) B2102/C2102
17) AU-X901

Well Ba 5000 is a fine but slow amp.Remember it utilizes transformers on the output stage.Theese don"t do anybody any good. Specially to the signal they mess it up. The only way to remove that mud from the transformers of ba 5000 is to connect speakers in the 2ohms terminal. And have 2 ohms speakers offqourse. The 2301 2302 , are much better amps in all respects.Actually they are the same amp with different back panels , and different labels regarding protection circuits in the front.a-x balanced cirquitry is unsurpassed .Look at the schematics and you"ll understand why 2302 at the time of it"s presence was costing an accuphase amount of money.In fact accuphase was a bit cheaper.
As for the 2301L version , it was a 2301 with some copper plates in and a 1,4kva transformer ,instead of 1,3 kva the 2301 had.Also the multi voltage european model was a 2301L without the letter L in the end.I haven"t yet seen a better slew rate than the 300v/μs of this amp.
Oh and btw accuphase uses the exact same design in it"s amps. That is a-x balanced.Japaneese copy each other.
Enjoy.

czubsi
01-18-2013, 03:30 PM
jomark bravo! You put it very well. alpha x balanced (4 bundles balanced on two separate reference channel with each other or (+) to (-) and not (+) to 0 and (-) to 0) is a solution which, in the vain search BA5000 ... Not to mention that the precision and mass produce polypropylene shunt obviously sensational u-con! It's not a great gadget and developed the concept of Sansui! Accuphase is not the only one who copied the Sansui ... Look for patterns of high-end Denon ... However, only the Sansui has packed to the brim with so many superb components, and it's less money than the competition! But colleagues repeatedly beaten over and over again their opinions without comparison with the new models did not change and so their beliefs - is typical. Maybe it's better because at least 90% of Japan's Sansui exceptional HiFiDo store will go to us to Polish! I have the Customs Office in Warsaw AU-alpha707NRA! I greet all the die-hard fans of Sansui and the old and the new!

01-18-2013, 07:30 PM
In my own experience, I have never found the BA-5000 to be muddy-sounding in any way whatsoever (and I have very revealing speakers with a great soundstage presentation that can exhibit any amp's shortcomings).

Out of curiosity, I could try and connect to the 2 ohm terminals as you suggested and see if I notice any difference. My speakers are 4 ohms and thats what I connect to on the BA-5K's terminals.

I had a B-2301 for a long time,which I sold, not that I was unhappy with it, but someone made me a really good $ offer that was too good to refuse. ( I still have the C-2301 preamp). The B-2301, being made a decade later than the BA-5000 may have better "specs", and it was a great amplifier, but I dont think it sounded superior to my ears than the BA-5000. Theoretically, a "fast" amp with impressive slew rate specs is nice & all, but in some cases, trying to push an amp past it design limits can lead to catastrophe as is commonly known by now with the AU-X1 and its notorious oscillation problem. I'm fairly certain if any Sansui model amp is compared & "torture-tested", the BA-5000 will outlast them all, no contest!

And as I mentioned previously, the BA-5000 isnt only about brute power, that wouldnt do an audio enthusiast much good if the amp could be cranked up to a virtually unlimited level, if it sounds brittle, tinny, harsh/fatiguing or just overall-crappy. None of these characteristics apply to the BA-5000- its ultra-smooth, detailed, life-like, and so forth on any type of recording played, be it rock, pop, jazz, folk, blues classical, etc... I have nothing but the highest praise for it. (ps: one just sold on Ebay for more than $3,000).

nosirrah
01-18-2013, 07:56 PM
Raw power and slew rate are not the only considerations for listening to music.
It's always been debatable that it's either the source, or the speakers that must take precedence over amplification for sound quality.
Best in this case is simply not definable.
Best for you? Whatever you like. :music:

montelatici
01-18-2013, 08:35 PM
Well, I really do like the sound of my AU-919. It has grown on me. I guess there are more desirable Sansui amps, but still, a really nice sounding amp.

DonQuixote99
01-18-2013, 09:55 PM
I would never believe anything but an A/B test (instant switching into same speakers from listening position) as a means of detecting differences in the sound of amps. And I would never generalize beyond saying a difference has been detected between the two samples under test.

Qsiris
01-18-2013, 11:33 PM
Well Ba 5000 is a fine but slow amp.Remember it utilizes transformers on the output stage.Theese don"t do anybody any good.
Enjoy.

The very last production Sansui amp, AU-alpha607NRA II also uses output transformers.
Its slew rate is a bit lower compared to other alphas, but there must be a reason Sansui engineers decided to go back to this design.

kevzep
01-19-2013, 12:55 AM
Two things guys,
The quality of sound is not directly proportional to the "speed" of the amplifier (slew rate).
The sound quality is not inversely proportional to the amount of THD.....

Output transformers on SS amplifiers have nothing to do with Muddiness.....The best amplifiers I have heard, have output transformers, and the manufactures name starts with "M".

McIntosh built there reputation designing and building SS amplifiers with Output transformers....they call them "autoformers".

These high speed low THD Sansui amps are just one way of achieving a particular sound which some people like....I think they sound very good, but they just lack something for me, they dont quite get me there.......

Qsiris
01-19-2013, 01:37 AM
Thanks for clarifying ;) that issue, kevzep.

I will think about acquiring some McIntosh gear you have.
Of course first I have to thin out my collection of Rolls-Royces to raise necessary funds. :smoke:

kevzep
01-19-2013, 03:06 AM
Thanks for clarifying ;) that issue, kevzep.

I will think about acquiring some McIntosh gear you have.
Of course first I have to thin out my collection of Rolls-Royces to raise necessary funds. :smoke:

haha, I hear you, I would rather have a McIntosh than a Rolls Royce :D I wouldn't think the Sansui's which could compete with McIntosh in Sound quality would be that cheap either......

When you are after that last 5%......anything and everything becomes expensive....:thmbsp:

czubsi
01-19-2013, 03:14 AM
and what about the fact that for 3000 usd? 907DR on the German e-bay went for 2621 euro, and it's only a DR! 907 NRA comes after more than 4 thousand. EUR so that the money is not here it comes! Sansui amp diagram of the oldest to the newest models is based on the same root! Each model is improved. Total ignorance and lack of knowledge is the claim that retreated in development for 30 years! Sure, it's best to stick to its no comparison ... BA 5000 in no way harsh! It's a very musical amplifier! It is for this "bent" musicality now suffering can be liked - that's for sure! But its advantages are at the expense of precision and contour. To see it is not enough to repeat their beliefs but quietly listen to later design, which has a much better tonal balance! Times have changed, and playing "pit" came out in the 80's out of fashion! They began to create the exact hardware mapping reality - as it did in the series Sansui alpha. The Japanese also prefer colorful atmosphere! That's why the old Luxman lampowce enjoy taking with them such!

alpha and alpha 907XR also 907MR sound twist the lamp! the most neutral - representing a great point of reference is the DR 907 - which is why in Europe has so successfully!Gentlemen, it makes no sense to argue! Each Sansui and it is amazing and nothing can change that! Many share my opinion but simply can not afford the expensive models and prefer to praise her - this is normal. We organize meetings audio. We try to present a wider range of rare things. Alpha 907 is already with us fairly well known, and its value is confirmed by the result of general knowledge rather than complex treatment of those who do not. You people are more open to "new experiences" We help each other in finding good models to wileu enjoyed a good sound ... Sansui chose from a variety of brands because I think that this is something that others do not have - an element of magic and truth. In the entire history of the company's desire to see the naturalness and to the very end ... They disappeared in the full awareness that this happens but the end did not go in, "the plastic commercialism" as other brands ... Gentlemen, it was better!Let's enjoy their heritage!I greet you all!

JOMARK911
01-19-2013, 07:35 AM
and what about the fact that for 3000 usd? 907DR on the German e-bay went for 2621 euro, and it's only a DR! 907 NRA comes after more than 4 thousand. EUR so that the money is not here it comes! Sansui amp diagram of the oldest to the newest models is based on the same root! Each model is improved. Total ignorance and lack of knowledge is the claim that retreated in development for 30 years! Sure, it's best to stick to its no comparison ... BA 5000 in no way harsh! It's a very musical amplifier! It is for this "bent" musicality now suffering can be liked - that's for sure! But its advantages are at the expense of precision and contour. To see it is not enough to repeat their beliefs but quietly listen to later design, which has a much better tonal balance! Times have changed, and playing "pit" came out in the 80's out of fashion! They began to create the exact hardware mapping reality - as it did in the series Sansui alpha. The Japanese also prefer colorful atmosphere! That's why the old Luxman lampowce enjoy taking with them such!

alpha and alpha 907XR also 907MR sound twist the lamp! the most neutral - representing a great point of reference is the DR 907 - which is why in Europe has so successfully!Gentlemen, it makes no sense to argue! Each Sansui and it is amazing and nothing can change that! Many share my opinion but simply can not afford the expensive models and prefer to praise her - this is normal. We organize meetings audio. We try to present a wider range of rare things. Alpha 907 is already with us fairly well known, and its value is confirmed by the result of general knowledge rather than complex treatment of those who do not. You people are more open to "new experiences" We help each other in finding good models to wileu enjoyed a good sound ... Sansui chose from a variety of brands because I think that this is something that others do not have - an element of magic and truth. In the entire history of the company's desire to see the naturalness and to the very end ... They disappeared in the full awareness that this happens but the end did not go in, "the plastic commercialism" as other brands ... Gentlemen, it was better!Let's enjoy their heritage!I greet you all!

I don"t quite understand your writing,
BUT,

simply put , BA 5000 is a excellent amp , for its age. It is soft i agree.
It is many things , but not fast.

I own two of them in my wife"s set, using them bridged.Along with the CA 3000 PRE . Speakers are JBL 9800SE.
They are fine amps , but they don"t compete with 2301.
The facts of life.

The down side of this is that she listens to local popular songs which i hate , and some classical stuff , which i sometimes like , and sometimes make me fall asleep.

I wish i could invite some of you to listen some music in both sets and then discuss over it but ,hey no doable. Right?

czubsi
01-19-2013, 09:59 AM
jomark agree with you 100%! I know the differences between the old series and the series of alpha Sansui with B2301 and B2302 tips! For me it's two different worlds. It is difficult to compare them with each other. In terms of what we understand quality sound the new Sansui is better

01-19-2013, 02:56 PM
I dont think Sansui was focused on slew rate paramaters and what-not back in 1975 when the BA-5000 was introduced. The specs seemed to be more of a bragging factor in the 1980's as shown in the company's brochures and magazine ads. I'm sure thats the case for the AU-G models, for example, but I dont think I'd prefer an AU-G over a BA-5000 even if the AU-G had theoretically better specs. Likewise, the B-2301 is certainly a higher-end model than the AU-G's, but despite its great specs, when I listened to the 2301 and the BA-5000 side by side, I cant say I noticed a significant difference in performance between them that emphasized the 2301's better specs. So, the bottom line is, the 2301 being made later, might have a more modern-day design and so forth (its all mentioned in a 1985 'Audio' magazine review which I have), but if the specs dont seem to be audibly heard, then I dont know if it should matter that much. If I felt the 2301 was the better sounding amp, then logically I would have kept it and sold the BA-5000 instead, especially as I could have gotten an even higher price for it. The 2301 reminds me of a sortve deluxe, more upscale AU-G99X, which is certainly not bad at all, I wish I couldve kept it, but when forced to choose, for me, the BA-5000 is the keeper.

01-19-2013, 03:05 PM
ps: another thing to keep in mind, the 2301 and 5000 dont operate independently, they both need a preamp, so the choice of preamp will factor-in to the sound comparison (and beyond that- what is plugged into the preamp, as I imagine we all have different cd players, turntables), all in different types of listening room spaces...... so these sound comparisons can get complex when all of these things are taken into account.

One option: combine vintage with newer and go with a C-2301 into a BA-5000 :) (which Ive been doing since my CA-3000 needs repair- the solder feed-thru issue to correct the channel dropout issue thats commonly known).

bluesky
01-19-2013, 05:15 PM
Hey bluesky, are you still looking for TU-X711 tuner ?
Just asking. ;)

Hi Qsiris.

I haven't been actively looking. If I see a minty one I wouldn't turn it down.

I'm kinda 'totally fried' on commercials. Never ending commercials. So I haven't been actively looking for the TU-X711.

Still have the TU-717 but it's not even plugged in the system. It's been in a box in the closet for a few years now. I rarely listen to any radio anymore. Sometimes in the garage on the boombox, rarely ever in the car.

I'm just so tired of commercials, french fried really. TV too. It's just too much for me being bombarded with advertisments.

Never ending RENTLESS commercials, bombarded with commercials.

I was talking with my cousin the other day and he mentioned all the commericals on TV. It's just relentless. So I really checked it out. Many times I've changed stations and 7 different channels had commericals running - In A Row!! More than a few times I've had hit 8 channels, in a row, with commericals running. And about 2 weeks ago I actually hit 9 (Nine!). And that wasn't on the hour or half hour. That was mid-stream in programs. I'm fried on commericals. Enough is enough.

So...I've kinda given up on Radio. But I wouldn't turn a Minty TU-711 down if I found one for a realistic price. But I'm not actively searching anymore at all. If I find one it will be just by accident surfing Sansui eBay. It would be nice to have in the rack, that's it. I'd hardly ever use it.

Qsiris
01-19-2013, 08:22 PM
I might be getting TU-X711 in a few days.
Will see if it can pull good stations at my place.
Otherwise I'll trade it for your Sansui wallet , bluesky :yes:

Now that I mentioned it, where does TU-711 stand on a totem pole ?
Does anyone have hands-on experience with it ?

JOMARK911
01-20-2013, 05:59 AM
I had it for a few years , bought it new with my aux911dg.
Very good tuber , good selectivity, low noise floor.
But it was more flater then flat sound wisely. Compared it with the sony st sa 5es , which i took for test and and the 711 took it"s way towards my brother in law , who also has a 911dg. Sony is a better performer.

bluesky
01-20-2013, 03:59 PM
I might be getting TU-X711 in a few days.
Will see if it can pull good stations at my place.
Otherwise I'll trade it for your Sansui wallet , bluesky :yes:

Now that I mentioned it, where does TU-711 stand on a totem pole ?
Does anyone have hands-on experience with it ?

Congrads on the TU-X711. That seems like a rare one in USA. They sure don't come up for sale very often, like hardly never ever. Really Nice Find!!

I'd just really like to have one to put in my Sansui rack because it would easily fit, and it matches my amp. But, for me, it's really not necessary because I rarely listen to the radio.

All I know is what I've read and between the TU-X701 and TU-X711: The 711 is much rarer in USA (and the 701 is rare!) and they sound and function fine! Is it better than like a TU-717/919? Kinda hard to beat those. I don't know.

My thinking is that the 711 would be a really nice tuner to have. :) (the 701 too) And the 'size' just fit's anywhere, and they look pretty cool too!!

Check out the write ups on that 'tuner' site, can't remember the name but everyone knows it. I can dig up the address if you need it but I have to look for it.

Good Luck Qsiris! :thmbsp:

Keep us informed!! :)

Qsiris
01-20-2013, 04:31 PM
Check out the write ups on that 'tuner' site, can't remember the name but everyone knows it.

I did and TU-X701 is ranked very high, but TU-X711 is not included due to being "excruciatingly rare" and unavailable.

JOMARK911 recalls it being too flat. I guess it gives me an excuse to find some TOTL Sansui EQ, like SE-99 WITH light pen....
Yeah, like thats ever gonna happen. :drool:

Hyperion
01-21-2013, 11:00 AM
You can't have looked here then.

http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/sansui.html

"This excruciatingly rare tuner is only seen for sale once every couple of years.........."

samosui
01-22-2013, 11:35 PM
Hi Qsiris.

........ Never ending RENTLESS commercials, bombarded with commercials.

Couldn't agree with you more. That's why my TU-717 is just to look at and if I listen to FM it's with a TU-D99X so that I can quickly find a channel with music. Also have a Yamaha tuner with same idea (memory presets).

But before you give up on radio, give HD radio a try. Was a real eye opener. Especially if there are stations that play music commercial free like 94.7 hd2 and others here in the Los Angeles area.

bluesky
01-26-2013, 07:21 PM
Couldn't agree with you more. That's why my TU-717 is just to look at and if I listen to FM it's with a TU-D99X so that I can quickly find a channel with music. Also have a Yamaha tuner with same idea (memory presets).

But before you give up on radio, give HD radio a try. Was a real eye opener. Especially if there are stations that play music commercial free like 94.7 hd2 and others here in the Los Angeles area.

Used to have my TU-717 hooked up but rarely listened to it. If I do listen to the radio it's in the garage on an old, but lovely sounding, JVC boombox.

Guess I should try HD radio someday. When I want to hear music I just spin LPs and play some CDs. Works for me.

You can't have looked here then.

http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/sansui.html

"This excruciatingly rare tuner is only seen for sale once every couple of years.........."

That's the place!

Daunia 70
02-26-2013, 02:11 PM
Well,after spending 4 nights listening to the Sansui AU-999 I've had to revert back to the AU-919.Both are awesome sounding,but the AU-919 is exceptional,more depth and with much better bass than the AU-999,which seems a tad brighter therefore less involving according to my ears,although perhaps a little clearer for it.
Of-course,both of these amps haven't been recapped as far as I know,and I've recently read that the AU-999 can sound much better with a few upgrades.So the best Sansui amplifier for sound quality up to now for me would have to be the AU-919.

quadklipsh
03-05-2013, 08:35 AM
I bet it's going to be my au 9500.
I purchased it the other day and while it's away for service I bet it's going to sound as good as any top vintage would.

GrungeGod
03-18-2013, 07:56 PM
I love the sound of my 2000x. Really warm tube like sound

bluesky
03-20-2013, 01:51 PM
To tell you the truth I have never heard a Sansui Amp I didn't like! Barney

Isn't that the truth!! :thmbsp:

mrjbq
03-20-2013, 01:53 PM
My AU-919

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

stereofun
03-20-2013, 02:48 PM
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=364410&d=1343101340

Its like which miss universe contestant is the most beautiful.....

......But I have to say my tweaked and recapped Au-777a has that true audiophile quality to it. Its not warm and fuzzy, nor punchy with bass or particular crisp - but it is very detailed, goes basement deep in a subtle way and with an amazing lifelike mid to high registry that sometimes takes your breath away . It wont do heavy rock or multi layered techno particular well, but it is unsurpassed for jazz and acustic genres where it rolls out this wide and deep soundstage.

So feed her the food she likes, and she shines with the best of them.

czubsi
06-15-2013, 11:46 AM
3 photo

Sansui CD-alpha 917XR
Sansui AU-alpha 907XR
Sansui AU-alpha 907MR
Sansui AU-alpha 907DR .....

bluesky
06-15-2013, 12:34 PM
The best sounding Sansui amplifier is the one that you think sounds the best.

Or in the stereo world language: the best sounding amplifier is the one you can live with and really enjoy! :)

czubsi
06-15-2013, 01:59 PM
can not judge because I have all ... my impressions :XR = MR> DR

Qsiris
06-15-2013, 02:19 PM
Holy grail of Sansui integrateds AU-alpha907 Limited sold recently on ebay.
Sadly they didnt make them in black. :tears:

czubsi
06-15-2013, 02:41 PM
Osiris 907 limited is somewhat lTuned XR + MOS-FET and it costs twice as much

samosui
06-15-2013, 03:46 PM
The best sounding Sansui amplifier is the one that you think sounds the best.

Or in the stereo world language: the best sounding amplifier is the one you can live with and really enjoy! haha.

+1 :thmbsp:

mjs1
06-15-2013, 11:10 PM
Holy grail of Sansui integrateds AU-alpha907 Limited sold recently on ebay.
Sadly they didnt make them in black.

Don't feel too bad about that one Qsiris. That was a Henry Louis listing. The feedback on the AU-X1 should have been warning enough for anyone. Also the NY listing. We will see how the feedback turns out. I'm sure he has the items and probably could deliver like he did on the Yamaha pre-amp (unless that is a bogus feedback) but, I remain skeptical.

Marc

Qsiris
06-16-2013, 12:19 AM
Don't feel too bad about that one Qsiris. That was a Henry Louis listing.

Marc

I had that thought myself after original feedback on AU-X1 (went for over $600 non-working but good cosmetically).
Buyer posted he got wrong beaten up amp. He then amended it as seller offered a replacement.
Now he amended it again ,saying seller wont send it.

Lets grab some popcorn and watch. :smoke:

LuxmanTom
06-30-2013, 08:43 AM
Hi,Tom from Washington state.There are a million(sic)Sansui piece that are Great,having owned quite a few,(impo)price,and sound.The 3-i would look at 1-Sansui G-8000,9000,exc tuner with lot's and lot's power.Then 2-amp's 919,0r Au D-11Mk.ll,all are exc,without spending a lot of cash.That my take,hope it help's.

quadklipsh
07-02-2013, 08:36 AM
it was AU907 iMOS limited for me ...... until AU_9500 came to my door !!!!

Daunia 70
07-14-2013, 10:40 PM
Well,for me personally the Sansui AU-X1 is now 'king',in fact I'd go as far to say it's the best sounding amp I've ever had the pleasure to listen to.
Luckily,I've been told it's a later 'after August 1980' Euro model so it shouldn't have the known faults of the earlier models.

I connected up a Naim CD5 player via Chord Cobra III interconnects and it just sounds incredible,deep,relaxed,very detailed and spacious,even more so than the Sansui AU-919 with regards to the latter two descriptions.
And listening to it in integrated mode via headphones I can't detect any faults (haven't tried it through speakers yet).It could still do with a service sometime though as to switch it off/down completely the mains plug needs to be unplugged.
Also have to rearrange my plans as it's just too damn heavy to go in the Sansui stack,so at the mo it's still residing downstairs.

montelatici
07-14-2013, 10:57 PM
I owned an AU 7700 for decades, it is a wonderful relatively low power amp. I have an AU 919 which is just about perfect and relatively high powered, but I wish it had a loudness switch. At low volumes I have to max out the tone controls.

stopkidding
07-15-2013, 01:53 AM
so after 5 pages of polling, do we have a consensus? :-D what is the best Sansui for overall sound?

tonysrep
07-15-2013, 02:05 AM
presently I have 70s-90 receivers and amps but with out a doubt my X circuit a aux-711 tuned with a se-99 is My favorite no matter the media

kevzep
07-15-2013, 03:08 AM
so after 5 pages of polling, do we have a consensus? :-D what is the best Sansui for overall sound?

They all are..........:thmbsp:

Then it comes down to personal choice..... For me it was my G22000.....

BigElCat
07-15-2013, 11:37 PM
AU-X701 :yes:

Qsiris
07-16-2013, 01:18 AM
without a doubt my X circuit a aux-711 tuned with a se-99 is My favorite no matter the media
Hey, same here , except I dont have a light pen for SE-99.
(Awesome double display anyway, I keep it on all the time.)
But I do have matching TU-X711 tuner and XP-99 turntable. :D

07-22-2013, 02:23 AM
found this while browsing online:

http://bb3blog.wordpress.com/2013/05/08/great-sansui-ampshmmm-first-just-a/

Kreshna
07-22-2013, 01:10 PM
AU 7x00 series don't count? Or maybe I just didn't search this thread carefully?

Well, my only exposure to Sansui amp is 7900, but it sounds very good IMO. Much better than many modern amps despite its mere 75 wpc. Is it good enough, or maybe I haven't heard better Sansui amps?

Also, while we're at it...

To my understanding, 7x00 series like 7700 and 7900 can operate in separate mode. Ie, you can use it as integrated amplifier, power amplifier, or preamp.

Now, what makes Sansui amp sound really good? Is it the preamp part, or the power part? For example, if I use separate power amplifier because I want more power (let say, pro studio amplifier), will the sound quality be at least as good as when I'm using the 7900 as integrated?

Hyperion
07-22-2013, 01:48 PM
Left out the AU-Dxx series as well... also no mention of the AU-919... and many more.

Sebi
07-23-2013, 07:12 PM
I am so glad I nad read Your text in .pdf. It has made me smiling and put in kind of blue mood, inspiring too:thmbsp::). Thx ausgeflippt!

bluesky
07-23-2013, 08:11 PM
found this while browsing online:

http://bb3blog.wordpress.com/2013/05/08/great-sansui-ampshmmm-first-just-a/

Originally Posted by ausgeflippt View Post