View Full Version : jbl l-150 vs lx-1000

Soran
08-11-2005, 09:12 AM
hey, i recently had jbl lx-1000 speakers dual 8 inch woofer, 5 inch midrange, and 1 inch tweeter 110cm high and 27 kilo from 1993. very deep bass and powerfull sound, i like them very much. i sold mine for good money and have the choice, buy me new lx-1000s for a good price, or buy me l-150 s for more then 2 times the price but they are perfect and mind. build in 1978 with only 1 12 inch woofer midrange and tweeter are kind of the same. the box is much bigger and weights 36 kilos. i want to pay the price for it but it must been worth it of course. i like a bigger box, and i like the bigger woofer, but the lx-1000 have 2 woofers. is the l-150 a good speaker ? what are the weak points ?

Don C
08-11-2005, 09:42 AM
I'd go with the L-150. The LX series was a low cost line, whlie the L series was JBLs best.

Soran
08-11-2005, 10:32 AM
the lx-1000 have a retail price of more than 1000 dollar i believe, it's just the lx-1000s are from 1993 and the l-150s from 1978, i love vintage and my receiver is from 1976 so it's perfect together whats the retail price of the l-150s ? tomorow i'm gonna listen to the l-150s i hope they sound awesome :)

Don C
08-11-2005, 10:51 AM
L-150 list price was 650.00 each in 1980. I am not familiar with the LX-1000, I don't think that it was available in the US.
Price list (http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/reference/price-lists/1970-1999-prices.htm)

Soran
08-11-2005, 11:22 AM
i have no good experience with passive radiators, but the l-150 seems to be good in bass response. i hope it's not to booming but just deep.
my ultralinear studio comparator sound very different from the lx-1000 speakers
but i will hear tomorrow :)

GordonW
08-11-2005, 12:31 PM
To put it bluntly, the L150 will smoke the f*** out of the LX1000. :D In probably just about every conceivable way.

As for the bass response- being a passive-radiator system, the bass on the L150 is tunable. If it's too boomy, you can add additional weight to the back of the passive radiator, to tune it lower, which will remove some of the midbass "boom". It's an easy prodedure- just unbolt the passive radiator from the cabinet. On the back, there will be a bolt, holding a couple of metal and/or masonite "washers" onto the back of the cone assembly, where the magnet would normally go on a "normal" speaker. Simply add fender washers (those large-diameter washers) from a hardware store, until you "smooth" out the bass. If the bass gets "weak", then you've gone too far, and need to remove some of the added weight.

By doing this, you can "tune" the bass for a specific room. In a smaller room, I'd expect to need more washers (so that the upper bass doesn't "overpower" the room); in a large room, fewer washers should be required...

Regards,
Gordon.

Soran
08-11-2005, 01:06 PM
okay gordon thats what i want to hear, now i have faith in it :) thanks
it seems perfect for me. a real mint rotel rx-1603 just serviced with two real mint jbl l-150 speakers, hooked up with the technics sl-q2 turntable, computer, roland synthesizer and fender stratocaster.

Kencat
08-11-2005, 09:05 PM
To put it bluntly, the L150 will smoke the f*** out of the LX1000. :D In probably just about every conceivable way.

As for the bass response- being a passive-radiator system, the bass on the L150 is tunable. If it's too boomy, you can add additional weight to the back of the passive radiator, to tune it lower, which will remove some of the midbass "boom". It's an easy prodedure- just unbolt the passive radiator from the cabinet. On the back, there will be a bolt, holding a couple of metal and/or masonite "washers" onto the back of the cone assembly, where the magnet would normally go on a "normal" speaker. Simply add fender washers (those large-diameter washers) from a hardware store, until you "smooth" out the bass. If the bass gets "weak", then you've gone too far, and need to remove some of the added weight.

By doing this, you can "tune" the bass for a specific room. In a smaller room, I'd expect to need more washers (so that the upper bass doesn't "overpower" the room); in a large room, fewer washers should be required...

Regards,
Gordon.

Gordon,

Is it possible to "tune" the bass in a ported design by reducing the port dia. ? Would take a bit more creativity to do this, but would that have the same effect as adding the weights to the passive radiator ?

Don't want to highjack this thread. I could start another one if it's a cool topic to discuss.

Ken C.

GordonW
08-12-2005, 02:01 AM
Gordon,

Is it possible to "tune" the bass in a ported design by reducing the port dia. ? Would take a bit more creativity to do this, but would that have the same effect as adding the weights to the passive radiator ?

Yep, either make the port smaller in diameter, or longer in length... that'll lower the port frequency. Same basic effect, but it seems to "hold" for good results, to more of an extent with passive radiators. Seems like, with ports, that you "lose the effect" of the port, more quickly (ie, the bass goes 'away'), than you do with a passive radiator, when making tuning changes such as this... you get more "leeway" with a PR.

Regards,
Gordon.

jblmar
08-12-2005, 04:10 PM
I never heard the lx-1000. The L150's sound was typical of JBL at the time. Sounded great to my ears.
Ron

Chris Brown
08-12-2005, 05:49 PM
I have a pair of L150's in my living room.

You won't be disappointed :)

Soran
08-13-2005, 10:16 AM
i'm sorry, i have the l-150s for two days now. they are original and realy like new, the bass is realy low low, but this speakers have not the clearness and the power of my lx-1000 speakers. i payed 3 times the price of the lx-1000 s, they are good speakers, but for me the lx-1000 speakers are much much better. the sound is tight and perfect under control, on low levels, on high levels, they always dominate the room... i'm sorry but i want my lx-1000 speakers back

Soran
08-13-2005, 05:20 PM
damn, i just came from my brother who have my old lx-1000 and my old sanyo jcx2600kr 85 watt receiver, just amazing in a room of more than 200mē, i can't believe my own ears, what have i done :(

Don C
08-14-2005, 12:51 AM
Wow, I'm surprised. Make sure that all of the drivers are actually working, that's all I can suggest.

Soran
10-09-2005, 09:42 AM
I don't know how to put this, i was wrong the l-150 speakers are excellent speakers. the tweeter and midrange on volume 10 was a mistake 3 is comfortable, a big difference with the lx-1000 is the sensitivity, 88db against 96db. the lx-1000 speakers are excelent in high and low but you just cant compare because the sound of the l150 is something completly different. i just regrat that i say they were bad, they are awesome, and they have a complete other dimension against all the new&cold stuff. the 128h is professional stuff like my former 2225h woofer.