View Full Version : Spaker wire - Never seen this before...

bonkas
06-19-2012, 06:08 AM
Hey Guys,

Came across something interesting today.

While surfing for some new clean wire for my system I found some with solver in one conductor and copper in th other.

Is this strange? has anyone seen this before? DOes it even have a purpose?

I ordered it anyway because they had the length and guage I wanted :)

AVService
06-19-2012, 06:27 AM
Kind of tough to comment directly since we have no idea what you are talking about without a pic or link but,a lot of wire is colored tis way as a way to determine polarity of the conductors.
Zip cord is fairly common to see like this and it is just so you can make sure it is connected the same way on both channels.

Is this what you bought?

There certainly may be wire pretending to have some "Magic" properties due to this too but if that is the case I can let my Unicorn call you later to talk about it.

Ed

dshoaf
06-19-2012, 06:51 AM
IMHO, its eye candy. Typical polarity in things like 18 gauge wire intended for consumer gear has been indicated by a rib on one side. The clear sheaths of the last 30 years gave way to lots of interesting - but not technically so - ways to attract your attention.

Cheers,

David

Markw
06-19-2012, 07:30 AM
It was probably copper and tinned copper, to make maintaining polarity easier.

michaelhigh
06-19-2012, 07:50 AM
Kind of tough to comment directly since we have no idea what you are talking about without a pic or link but,a lot of wire is colored tis way as a way to determine polarity of the conductors.
Zip cord is fairly common to see like this and it is just so you can make sure it is connected the same way on both channels.

Is this what you bought?

There certainly may be wire pretending to have some "Magic" properties due to this too but if that is the case I can let my Unicorn call you later to talk about it.

Ed

I have a Quadracorn.:banana:

Kalev
06-19-2012, 07:59 AM

It was probably copper and tinned copper, to make maintaining polarity easier.

I used to have a spool of 18ga speaker cable from Radioshack or Best Buy (cheap stuff) that had clear sheaths. One cable was silver colored and the other was copper colored--allowing for visual differentiation. I believe that Markw is correct when he says that the material is copper and tinned copper.

"Solver Spaker Wire" sounds like a Craigslist ad waiting to happen.

AVService
06-19-2012, 08:15 AM
IMHO, its eye candy. Typical polarity in things like 18 gauge wire intended for consumer gear has been indicated by a rib on one side. The clear sheaths of the last 30 years gave way to lots of interesting - but not technically so - ways to attract your attention.

Cheers,

David

That is just silly,there is still plenty of clear Zip cord sold with different color conductors?

bowtie427ss
06-19-2012, 08:24 AM
That is just silly,there is still plenty of clear Zip cord sold with different color conductors?I'd wager he's referring to the "stuff" specifically marketed as "speaker wire".

"Zip cord" with clear sheathing usually has conductors of the same color and polarity is determined by a rib in the insulation as with all zip cord.

AVService
06-19-2012, 08:33 AM
I'd wager he's referring to the "stuff" specifically marketed as "speaker wire".

"Zip cord" with clear sheathing usually has conductors of the same color and polarity is determined by a rib in the insulation as with all zip cord.

Well I would wager that it is about half ribbed and half 2 color.

Any idea how to decide or why it matters?:D

bonkas
06-19-2012, 06:40 PM
Sorry many typos in my post...

One conductor is listed as copper and the other silver.

As it was the cheapest I could find and exactly the type of cable I wanted I went ahead and ordered as I'm not one to believe in miracles in speaker cable.

This is the stuff in question: http://www.darkstar.co.nz/cable/cable-per-metre/12awg-ofc-speaker-cable-per-metre.html

EDIT: In the description "Silver Plated Copper" MarkW You hit the nail on the head :)

Thanks guys.

soo much snake oil surrounding these things argh!

dumptruck
06-19-2012, 06:46 PM
Okay, so that's about $3.16 USD/m, $0.96/ft, roughly twice as much as 12 guage wire without the silver plated half.

JoeESP9
06-19-2012, 06:57 PM
Maybe they're taking a page from Kimber's book. Kimber makes IC's with a copper ground wire and a silver (not plated) signal wire. My current speaker cables use silver plated copper.

Markw, when you said plated I thought you meant tin plated. There's a lot of tin plated copper.

bonkas
06-19-2012, 06:59 PM
Okay, so that's about $3.16 USD/m, $0.96/ft, roughly twice as much as 12 guage wire without the silver plated half.

All I could get in short notice :(

None of the electronics stores stock wire in my area any longer... they have all moved to selling TV's, Computers, Microwaves and that sort of thing. They are all moving away from catering for us tinkerers who need little bits and pieces.

The next store I found online which stocked that gauge was $5 a meter!! So I went for the latter but ordered a few meters less.

There are plenty of Home Depo stores which sell wire but they are either beige or white in colour and quite ugly.

Dont get me started on the stores who state they have something in stock, visit the store and the reels are empty! argh!

transmaster
06-19-2012, 07:42 PM
If you are looking for good but cheap speaker cable go here: http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10239

This is my go to place for this sort of thing, great service and fast turn around.

Arkay
06-19-2012, 07:57 PM
I used a wire that looked just like that (and was 12 gauge, too) for speaker wire back in the 1990s. It worked perfectly well, and didn't seem lacking in any way. Unless you are running some ultra-revealing super-exotic system, you should be fine with it. Otherwise, you'll have to get over the psychological devastation of having wires that are less than wrist-thick, and don't have "the snake just swallowed something" bulges in them. :D

petehall347
06-19-2012, 08:10 PM
i can see how it can help with dc current but not with ac current which speakers are driven with .
with dc one core will degrade much quicker than the other ..cant remember which one now but best guess is negative

transmaster
06-19-2012, 09:15 PM
I have never bought into the Voodoo, blessed by Buddha, and St Vidicon cables, at any rate I no longer have the ears to hear any difference. The one thing I do look for is quality of construction. I purchased My Polk Monitor 10B's in 1989 at the same time I purchased the original Monster Cable speaker wire, these 10B's are still fed by that same Monster Cable after all of these years. It is still as supple as it was when I first purchased it 23 years ago. As far as I am concerned this is the reason to pay extra for inter-connects and speaker cable. I will not fork over for cable from an outfit I know damn well is feeding me a line of Bovine scatology to justify an outrageous price. Check out 8audio (the 8 is actually a treble clef)

http://www.8audio-mall.com/servlet/the-518/Reference-Grade-Silver-Flat/Detail

This link is to a set of sliver conductor speaker cables, note the price now look else where to see how much they get for such speaker wire. 8audio has audiophile stuff without the audiophile price. The only reason why I have not ordered them is they are to short for my setup.

dyazdani
06-19-2012, 10:24 PM
I used to have (until very recently) a set of AudioQuest Argent+ cables. They were made up of several conductors and were also a mix of copper and silver.

http://www.audioquest.com/archives/speaker_cables/spiraled_hyperlitz/images/argent_plus.jpg
http://www.audioquest.com/archives/speaker_cables/spiraled_hyperlitz/images/argent_c.jpg

JoeESP9
06-19-2012, 10:42 PM
Thanks for that link. High quality stuff at a real world price. Have you or do you know anyone who has ordered from them. I know they have an ebay presence. I'm just a little sceptical about ordering and concerned about shipping charges from Hong Kong.

carcrazy
06-19-2012, 10:49 PM
I use speaker wire that I bought online from a Canadian company called Axiom Audio. I find it to be very good cable at a reasonable price. I highly recommend it.

http://axiomaudio.com/bulkcable.html

transmaster
06-20-2012, 12:00 AM
Thanks for that link. High quality stuff at a real world price. Have you or do you know anyone who has ordered from them. I know they have an eBay presence. I'm just a little skeptical about ordering and concerned about shipping charges from Hong Kong.

I just did a trial order of the silver speaker wires and the shipping is $21.00 dollars. the total is $95.00. Which is an absolute steal considering silver cables of this length and termination can cost nearly $1000 dollars else where.

Yes I do know people purchased stuff from 8Audio here on the Audio Karma forum in fact. I looked around and there is a thread about this outfit over at DIY audio not only did they like the service, the RCA interconnect cables purchased made a vast improvement in sound way out of proportion to the $15.00 dollars they cost.

If you want to see something which maybe my first order is a Single End Tube type Head Phone Amp. It uses a single 6DJ8 tube (included) this amp is a fully assembled and comes with a 24VDC power supply.
$73.00 dollars. http://www.8audio-mall.com/servlet/the-520/Single-End-Tube-Head/Detail

I personally have ordered a fair amount of stuff, mostly batteries, from Hong Kong and their turn around time is unbelievable. I ordered a battery for an MP3 player I had, stateside the battery was $29.00 dollars. The Hong Kong outfit had it for $12.95 post paid. I ordered on a Friday and I had the battery in hand the following Tuesday. The battery was made by the same outfit as the battery that came with this MP3 player. The thing I really liked about it is the battery was less the 2 weeks old, The State side batteries I had been purchasing where many months old.

transmaster
06-20-2012, 12:53 AM
I use speaker wire that I bought online from a Canadian company called Axiom Audio. I find it to be very good cable at a reasonable price. I highly recommend it.

http://axiomaudio.com/bulkcable.html

This is a good outfit I have purchased crossover caps from them.

richamor
06-20-2012, 07:15 AM
Looks like this from Lowes:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_388522-226-260-1402B_0__?productId=3638506&Ntt=speaker+wire&pl=1&currentURL=&facetInfo=

20 bucks for 50 feet.

Of course, I tried that stuff in my garage. It took about 6 months for the wire to turn green:thumbsdn: That Argent looks pretty nice.

transmaster
06-20-2012, 09:06 AM
Blue Jeans Cable is a great place, no bovine scatology there. http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/index.htm

AVService
06-20-2012, 09:21 AM
OK I don't understand making a deal out of this cable pick at all?

The O.P. stated it is the cheapest he could find,he already bought it and it is just standard 12g zip cord.

They make no special claims about its wonder and beauty and it may seem slightly pricey due to location?
NZ is not exactly like shopping in NYC and I know a lot of times you just accept what you can find.

It should work fine for him and it was available.

I am not advocating or promoting any cable agenda here just commenting that this does not seem like any big deal at all ?

What do you think the original Monster Cables looked like?

dumptruck
06-20-2012, 10:06 AM
I'm pretty sure none of the discussion above is about naming something the OP should have bought instead.

Markw
06-20-2012, 10:22 AM
I'm pretty sure none of the discussion above is about naming something the OP should have bought instead.Well, it's certainly strayed quite a bit from the OP's initial observation. When did he mention interconnects?

AVService
06-20-2012, 10:47 AM
I just don't see any point in the O/P/ feeling bad about his choice,he didn't have much of one it sounds like and there is no incentive to tease about it?

Ed

Markw
06-20-2012, 10:58 AM
I just don't see any point in the O/P/ feeling bad about his choice,he didn't have much of one it sounds like and there is no incentive to tease about it?

EdNor so I, ergo the simple explanation I offered but some here feel the need to proselytize.

Given the choices at hand, his choice seems perfctly sensible and there will be no audiable sacrifices for him to live with.

bonkas
06-20-2012, 07:59 PM
I grabbed the cable because it was what I could find at a price I was willing to pay. That is all.

I just wondered if there was a purpose for the two different conductor materials apart from + and - markers.

As I said I'm not one to believe in the snake oil type claims was just interesting to see that's all.

You guys surely are a wealth of knowledge!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

petehall347
06-20-2012, 08:08 PM
i am sticking with its for corrosion protection ...i got it wrong earlier ...ac wires will corrode as well a dc .. not sure which one .i would have to strip some and see which it is .seem to remember its the neutral

JoeESP9
06-20-2012, 08:59 PM
When Copper turns green the green does not conduct. Silver tarnish does conduct.