View Full Version : EPI A500 Speakers

pustelniakr
08-16-2005, 04:06 PM
I just picked up a set of EPI A500 speakers from a local thrift store. Paid a whole $12 for the pair.

One midrange has a dented dust cap, and both woofers need to be re-foamed. The grills and cabinettes are in good shape, except of a bit of roughness around the bottom edges. The passive radiators are all 4 (one on each side of each speaker) in good shape. I haven't got them home yet, to see if all drivers work.

Here is a link to representative pics: http://www.humanspeakers.com/cgi-bin/model.pl?spk=e/epi-a500.htm

The original price is stated to be $900. You think that is per unit or per pair.

Anybody know anything aboput these puppies? Did they sound good?

Thanks for your help,
Rich P

bolly
08-16-2005, 04:14 PM
cool rich, almost like mini AR9's :D

Yamaha B-2
08-16-2005, 04:34 PM
Can't imagine that they won't sound very good (rather than just plain good). Looks to be the same tweeter in the 120b, which a an excellent driver. Crossed over higher so doesn't have to work as hard with those mid-range drivers. And plenty of bass with the big box and set of passive drivers. Worth the effort ot fix, IMHO. And nice looking to boot.

Andyman
08-16-2005, 04:49 PM
Congrats!
That's the 4th pair I've EVER heard of; the first pair is sitting in my garage.
Mine need surrounds on both the woofers AND mids, and have been in the project lane for quite a while.
As to sound, it's been a while since I've hooked them up and listened to them. In all fairness, I really should repair the mids before I come to any real conclusions on them though. But if they're anything like the 100s, they should be just fine.
Let me know how your's turn out :yes:

luvvinvinyl
08-16-2005, 09:09 PM
Rich, Huw lists his MSRP as 'per pair'.

pustelniakr
08-17-2005, 03:54 AM
Believe it or not gents...my spider sense was tingling, so I sent my wife to the local thrift store (where I got my 1st set of HPM-100s for $80). I haven't been back there since I got the HPMS. Boom! There they were, at $6 each. That was more than I spent for lunch today, so, how could I lose?

My wife buys them for me, and says to herself on the way home, "WHAT do I think I'm doing?" Anyway, what a sweetheart. Someday she'll snatch that rope tight and I'll go tuchas over teakettle :) For now she is quietly watching to see what happens to all this gear that is slowly eating up living space...

They look excellent. A little veneer damage along the bottom edges, but that is common with thrift store speakers of any size, and nothing that can't be re-veneered out of existence :) Otherwise, there is nothing that a little gentle scrubbing and lemon oil can't deal with.

As for operation, both woofers have missing surrounds. That does not scare me, although it might have up until a few months ago. One mid driver HAD a dent in the dust cap. I found that if I took the guts and ends off of my solder pull-it, it made the ideal size tube to try a suck-out of the dust cap. Apply lung power and a quick pull-away action and the dustcap popped out with no indication it had ever been dented. These puppies have a passive base driver on each side, all of which are in perfect shape.

One woofer was open. I found that the flex wire from its terminal to the voice coil wire was hanging free. Inspection showed it had come loose right at the cone. No problem...made a fresh connection (only need a bit of the black adhesive used to re-attach the dust cap after a re-foam on the new connection point at the hole in the cone).

Now to the driver test. All drivers fully functional and sound GREAT, except for the weak base, due to out of phase base coming around the cone where the surrounds are missing.

Here's a link to some pics: http://usera.imagecave.com/pustelniakr/EPI_A500s/

A couple of pics show the A500s next to the triple stack of HPM-100s :D

Rich P

bolly
08-17-2005, 04:06 AM
:banana:

joelll
09-01-2005, 03:22 PM
Wow... I go away to Israel for a couple of weeks and there's HUNDREDS of new speaker forum topics...

The A500 and 500 are right up there with the other holy-grail EPI speakers, like the 1000's and the 3.0's. I remember reading somewhere that EPI designed them for rock music listening -- that is to say, BIG and LOUD.

I'd love to hear a pair playing. Heck, I'd love to have room for a pair of them in my apartment, and no neighbors to complain about the noise. After fixing up the woofers, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

sydsfloyd67
09-01-2005, 04:06 PM
The A500 and 500 are right up there with the other holy-grail EPI speakers, like the 1000's and the 3.0's. I remember reading somewhere that EPI designed them for rock music listening -- that is to say, BIG and LOUD. I'm glad there isn't a thrift store around here with things like that for $12. Literally impossible to pass over. :)

Now those are indeed a major departure from the horrendously sucessful EPI formula, which was of course a two way 'module' with that airspring tweeter crossed low and a 6.5 or 8" woofer in a closed box. Multiples of the same were able to add power handling without creating new problems with driver interactions. 'Holy Grail' for EPI would likely have to involve those modules. Perhaps they were targeting a new market there with the A500 as described. My only concern would be the difficulty in balancing the 3 way, but they were one expensive speaker indeed in their day. I'd like to see a review of the sound relative to something like a good old 3-way Infinity perhaps..... cheers, -sf

sydsfloyd67
09-01-2005, 04:13 PM
What a suprise in the specs there (http://www.humanspeakers.com/e/epi-a500.htm) . How come they were only able to get down to 45 kHz with TWO 12" passive radiators in a cabinet of that size? Very simple designs like the M150 go down to 35 kHz if I recall, others with that sized cabinet near 30 kHZ. :saywhat: That said, I bet the sound you get with 4 12" radiators is remarkable to say the least. Lots o' bass as opposed to low bass perhaps? Maybe the HPM-100 has met a worthy competitor at your house? :) -sf

( Look (http://www.humanspeakers.com/e/epicure-400.htm) what happened when they put just just a 6.5" woofer (x 2) in a fully sealed cabinet that size, down to 32 kHz., To get down to 22 kHz with the 1000 (http://www.humanspeakers.com/e/epicure-1000.htm) , their lowest, they also had to basically double the cabinet's height.)

joelll
09-01-2005, 04:46 PM
I'm glad there isn't a thrift store around here with things like that for $12. Literally impossible to pass over. :)

Now those are indeed a major departure from the horrendously sucessful EPI formula, which was of course a two way 'module' with that airspring tweeter crossed low and a 6.5 or 8" woofer in a closed box. Multiples of the same were able to add power handling without creating new problems with driver interactions. 'Holy Grail' for EPI would likely have to involve those modules. Perhaps they were targeting a new market there with the A500 as described. My only concern would be the difficulty in balancing the 3 way, but they were one expensive speaker indeed in their day. I'd like to see a review of the sound relative to something like a good old 3-way Infinity perhaps..... cheers, -sf

The much sought-after and well-reviewed Epicure 3.0 is also a three-way system, in a pretty interesting pyramid-shaped enclosure. I'd be ecstatic to find a pair in a thrift store... :yes:

Andyman
09-02-2005, 02:56 PM
FWIW, I got a pair of 350's a few weeks back. 3 of the 2 way modules/tower and they weigh a ton. All the drivers work, but I've got 6 refoams on my plate.

Here's a link:

EPI 350s (http://www.humanspeakers.com/cgi-bin/model.pl?spk=e/epi350.htm)

pustelniakr
09-05-2005, 12:24 AM
I just finished refoaming the EPI A500s. Here is a link to the DIY or the process:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=46821

These puppies sound excellent, but are less efficient than my HPM-100s. They take significantly more power to reach the same sound pressure level. Their specs say 20 - 250 WPC, and now I know why there is a lower spec. My 80 WPC Pioneer SA-9500-II is probably bare minimum for an amp to push these bad boys.

They are real nice sounding, with crisp highs, full mids, and deep rich bass. Not a bad sound for a $12 purchase investment + the refoam kit $29.

Rich P

spectre
09-29-2010, 04:08 PM
I just picked up a pair of EPI A500 from a garage sale for $75. one tweeter is blown. im going to get it rebuilt. Can I buy original 10 inch woofers? I prob need to find an old pair and have them rebuilt.

They sound good...i need to replace that tweeter obviously

Celt
09-29-2010, 04:13 PM
Contact Human Speakers and have the existing ones exchanged or rebuilt.