View Full Version : redopping surrounds?

Houas07tc
07-05-2012, 05:27 PM
Does redopping the cloth surrounds make any difference in the sound of the woofer. I just pickup a pair of yamaha ns-200m and the surround looks a little dry and stiff. I found these treatment on that auction site and wanted to try it out, but if there is something better let me know.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Speaker-Cone-Treatment-ReZon-Ex-BLACK-surround-coating-dampener-recone-PMR-/170870214166?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item27c8a88e16

bigaltx24
07-05-2012, 08:41 PM
If it's an acoustic suspension speaker the dope on a cloth surround is necessary. It plays an integral part in sealing the cabinet. There's a lot of differing opinions out there on whether cloth surrounds need to be redoped or not and what is the proper sealant to use. If you decide to go ahead, make sure what you use will stay pliable and not hinder the movement of the speaker. I redoped my KLH 32s with a aircraft grade contact cement, they came out very nice. Your mileage may vary.

Houas07tc
07-05-2012, 09:41 PM
the yamaha ns-200m are acoustic suspension. Just don't know how much to put on.

Houas07tc
07-07-2012, 03:00 PM
That case I'm just gonna leave them as is since they are working

conaway
07-07-2012, 03:41 PM
I Have recently rebuilt 2 pairs of AR4ax acoustic suspension speakers - woofers in these have cloth surrounds. With both pairs of speakers, I could not get an air-tight seal in the cabinets until I re-doped the woofer surrounds. I simply used rubber cement - 2 coats painted on both front and back sides of the surrounds. This restored the 'airtightness' of the cabinets and the bass response.

audio1025
07-07-2012, 04:27 PM
Like previously mentioned, there are many opinions and methods for this.

I have had good luck mixing pure silicone caulk with mineral spirits to make a paint consistency mix, then brushing it on aged AR and KLH surrounds with very good results.

electronjohn
07-08-2012, 08:10 AM
I'm going to use Aileen's "Tacky Glue" to redope some cloth surrounds...but damned if I can find the thread giving the "thinning" specs for the glue:headscrat

Houas07tc
07-10-2012, 04:04 AM
I Have recently rebuilt 2 pairs of AR4ax acoustic suspension speakers - woofers in these have cloth surrounds. With both pairs of speakers, I could not get an air-tight seal in the cabinets until I re-doped the woofer surrounds. I simply used rubber cement - 2 coats painted on both front and back sides of the surrounds. This restored the 'airtightness' of the cabinets and the bass response.

Won't the rubber cement eventually dried?

Tetrode
07-10-2012, 06:39 AM
That case I'm just gonna leave them as is since they are working

Good idea.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2692381&postcount=13

tybrad
07-10-2012, 06:51 AM
If it's an acoustic suspension speaker the dope on a cloth surround is necessary. It plays an integral part in sealing the cabinet. There's a lot of differing opinions out there on whether cloth surrounds need to be redoped or not and what is the proper sealant to use. If you decide to go ahead, make sure what you use will stay pliable and not hinder the movement of the speaker. I redoped my KLH 32s with a aircraft grade contact cement, they came out very nice. Your mileage may vary.

Redoped my cloth-surrounded, suspension KLH Six's with clear silicone sealant. Works pretty well.

conaway
07-10-2012, 04:40 PM
rubber cement probably will eventually dry - whatever was originally used certainly did. I really don;t know what the lifetime of any of the glues mentioned in this thread would be.

cgutz
07-11-2012, 02:01 PM
Rubber cement, if latex, may harden over time. I'm guessing silicone caulk will probably be pliable for longer. A chemist might know better...