View Full Version : Opinions on Pioneer PL-30L??

aussiedan
07-31-2012, 10:58 PM
What are these turntables like to own?
I know there is a bit of a following for the PL-50's, hoping someone also knows the 30's as well.

I'm looking at about the $700 price point, Can a better turntable be had for the money? The PL-30L I'm looking at also has a carbon arm and a shure cart (not sure of the series)

There is also a PL-50 for sale, but he wants $200ish more for that.

Any opinions/advice appreciated.:thmbsp:

Balifly
08-01-2012, 12:26 AM
What are these turntables like to own?
I know there is a bit of a following for the PL-50's, hoping someone also knows the 30's as well.

I'm looking at about the $700 price point, Can a better turntable be had for the money? The PL-30L I'm looking at also has a carbon arm and a shure cart (not sure of the series)

There is also a PL-50 for sale, but he wants $200ish more for that.

Any opinions/advice appreciated.:thmbsp:

Make sure the machines are fulling intact and fully functional, parts will be difficult to locate.

There are the:

Pioneer PL-30, PL-30 L, PL-30 LII

Pioneer PL-50, PL-50 L, PL-50 PLII

Pioneer PL-70 PL-70 L, PL-70 PLII

Some of them have two tone arms and two set of counter weights.

I remember trying to locate the S arms for a friend's father.:sigh:

There are several other Pioneer models that were not exported from Japan.

No idea what the specifications are for any of them.

It would require some deep serious searching.:boring:

aussiedan
08-01-2012, 11:09 AM
I've been searching as hard as I can. Even been diong some research too. Can't find much. Found a PL-50 for sale in Japan.
The "L" means silent lift, I believe. Found some reveiws and manufacture's sales pitch's, all point to this thing being pretty good...

Its a pretty cool looking turntable, to me anyway. And with the silent lift at the end, it gives just a touch of automation that I need.

It seems like a middle to high road bit of gear. I am a bit worried about the carbon arm, not sure if it was original equpment, or aftermarket.

Balifly
08-01-2012, 12:45 PM
I am a bit worried about the carbon arm, not sure if it was original equpment, or aftermarket.

Good to know, I was not aware of the after market tone arm complication!

Best of luck with your hunt! :music:

Bancofan
08-02-2012, 11:57 AM
This is the one of the finest turntables produced by Pioneer in 81. I have a PL-50L II and this is a serious turntable.
You can learn a bit about technical features here:
http://www.thevintageknob.org/pioneer-PL-50LII.html
http://audio-database.com/PIONEER-EXCLUSIVE/player/pl-50lii-e.html
http://www.hifido.co.jp/sold/?lang=E&gcode=1&keyword=Pioneer+PL-50L+2&limit=10

And here you can get pictures and specs for all Pioneer turntables (the site is Japanese, but Google translator does the fine job):

http://audio-heritage.jp/PIONEER-EXCLUSIVE/player/pl-50lii.html

Carbon arms are not aftermarket - PL 50Lii originally has been equipped with straight and S-shaped arms.

Third version of the PL-50 and classic turntable derived from the successful Exclusive P3.

Modified from the original PL-50 was the Stable Hanging Rotor : it was here in lightweight form (ie. quite reduced in size) but upgraded to coreless/brushless.
Modified as well was the junction between shaft and spindle : instead of being separated by a ball bearing, the two pieces are directly stacked together.

That version of the SHR motor was carried into most later Pioneer turntables. It is however said that this "v2" or lightweight SHR wasn't as everlast as the original ; Pioneer in Japan cannot repair them anymore.

The tonearm of the 50LII has interchangeable wands made of carbon graphite, with a choice of two shapes S-shaped or straight. The included headshells were also made of carbon graphite.

The armbase allows +3 / -4mm VTA adjustement whereas the original PL-50 / PL-50L only allowed +3mm.

The oil damping feature of the PL-50L was carried over unchanged : 5-position damping top.

The 50L and 50LII are otherwise identical : ebony veneer covering a 4-layer laminate cabinet, low-center of gravity feet, zinc diescast armbase, optional counterweight for use of Ortofon SPU heavy heavyweight and nearly identical specifications.

The platter is back-coated with a special damping compound and the tonearm leads and contacts are all oxygen-free copper, of course, and critical parts are machined with micron-level tolerances.

If Pioneer seemingly sold few PL-50 but a sizeable amount of PL-50L, the PL-50LII was extremely successful.

Tech specs:

DRIVE
Motor : DD, Core-less, brush-less PLL DC servo
Direct drive
Bearing structure : Stable Hanging Rotor (v1 ; PL-50/L)
Platter : 31cm diecast aluminium
Inertia moment : 330kg / cm2
Load characteristic : 0% up to 200g
Speeds : 33 1/3 & 45rpm
Full speed ahead : 1/3 of a rotation (33 1/3 rpm)
Starting torque : 1,6kg / cm2
Wow & flutter : < 0,013% (PL-50 ; WRMS ; FG direct)
< 0,012% (PL-50L ; WRMS ; FG direct)
< 0,023% (WRMS / JIS)
Rotational accuracy : < 0,002%
Drift : 0,00008% / h
0,00003% / C
S/N ratio : > 82dB (DIN-B)
> 65dB (JIS)
Braking : electronic
TONEARM (straight)
Type : twin static balance ; carbon graphite wands
variable 5-step oil-damping
Effective length : 25cm
Overhang : 12mm
Tracking error : + 2,7 / - 1,3
Tracking force : 0...3g (1 turn = 1g)
Cart/headshell weight : 3g...11g (straight)
Included headshell : 6g...32g (S-shaped)
VTA adjustment : carbon graphite
+3 / -4mm
Componentry : GENERAL
1 Quartz
10 ICs
3 Hall
4 LEDs
11 transistors
4 diodes
PC : 15W
Dimensions : 49 x 19 x 40,1cm
Weight : 14,6kg.

Balifly
08-02-2012, 02:31 PM
This is the one of the finest turntables produced by Pioneer in 81. I have a PL-50L II and this is a serious turntable.

Carbon arms are not aftermarket - PL 50Lii originally has been equipped with straight and S-shaped arms.

The tonearm of the 50LII has interchangeable wands made of carbon graphite, with a choice of two shapes S-shaped or straight. The included headshells were also made of carbon graphite.

Welcome to the AK turn table forum!

There are quite a few vintage Pioneer turn table enthusiasts here.

Thank you for sharing your very extensive knowledge about the high end Pioneer turn tables.

Your post may ease the anxiety the OP has about after market tone arms .:music: