View Full Version : JVC Vintage Turntable 5240B

honingbob
08-01-2012, 06:50 PM
Hello, I'm in need of a user manual for a JVC Model 5240B Turntable. ANY help would be appreciated so I can get this vintage table running again! Thanks Bob

hamilton02
08-01-2012, 06:56 PM
Hello, I'm in need of a user manual for a JVC Model 5240B Turntable. ANY help would be appreciated so I can get this vintage table running again! Thanks Bob

Check out vinylengine.com. Sign up and download the pdf manual. I did it for the QLA7. Oh and don't get sucked into the forums. Ours is much better. :banana::yes:

honingbob
08-02-2012, 02:56 PM
I tried your suggestion last night with no success. The 5240B was not listed in their archives. Back to the drawing board. Can anyone help with a manual for this JVC 5240B turntable. Thanks!!

oresund5
08-02-2012, 08:07 PM
I bought a service manual for my Technics SL-M1 at user-manuals.com. It was about $8, and I could not find the manual anywhere else.

honingbob
08-04-2012, 05:52 AM
Again, thank you for the help, but the manual for the JVC 5240B
turntable must be very rare. I'm coming up empty with all the searches I have tried. Maybe someone has one to copy??

gary7
08-04-2012, 11:08 AM
I never could find one. Keep an eye on "Hoarding-Buried Alive!". Someone my have a stack of them. :D

boreas
08-04-2012, 11:57 AM
Again, thank you for the help, but the manual for the JVC 5240B
turntable must be very rare. I'm coming up empty with all the searches I have tried. Maybe someone has one to copy??

Short of a copy, perhaps someone here can provide answers or guidance concerning anything you might need to deal with. A lot of stuff is common to all turntables, other stuff is common to all of a given type and still more to a particular manufacturer.

Another thing to try would be to post a request for a copy (or an upload) over in the forum section of VinylEngine.

John

honingbob
08-05-2012, 10:35 AM
:banana: I took your suggestion and did post at Vinlyengine, thanks for the suggestion. We got the table running in all of the right ways, but still need some help on the extra weights at the tonearm fulcrum. How to measure and adjust etc. Was able to easily adjust the tonearm weight, but.....Thanks!

boreas
08-05-2012, 10:45 AM
I can't find any really good photos of this turntable in the interwebs but it looks like you're dealing with a fairly conventional lateral weight on the right side of the pivot and a somewhat unusual bell crank arrangement on the left which would be your anti-skate weight. If you can post some photos of your table showing the area of interest we can take it from there.

John

boreas
08-05-2012, 10:50 AM
Oh, by the way, where are youl ocated? I'm beginning to think that this particular JVC might have been an "Asia Pacific" model. I see it listed as a "Nivico" (Nippon Victor Corporation) brand table in some references. The Nivico brand was never used here in North America or (I think) Europe. I guess that could explain the paucity of information on it.

John

Balifly
08-05-2012, 12:05 PM
John,

This is probably the same model as the Victor SRP-B40 as posted in a previous thread.
http://audio-heritage.jp/VICTOR/player/srp-b40.html

If not look at the Victor SRP- B30.:scratch2:
http://audio-heritage.jp/VICTOR/player/srp-b30.html

boreas
08-05-2012, 12:19 PM
John,

This is probably the same model as the Victor SRP-B40 as posted in a previous thread.
http://audio-heritage.jp/VICTOR/player/srp-b40.html

If not look at the Victor SRP- B30.:scratch2:
http://audio-heritage.jp/VICTOR/player/srp-b30.html

Hi, Earl -

That's possible but the gimbals look quite different from the photos I see online of the OP's model. That's why photos of his would be really helpful.

John

Balifly
08-05-2012, 01:35 PM
Hi, Earl -

That's possible but the gimbals look quite different from the photos I see online of the OP's model. That's why photos of his would be really helpful.

John

You are right! :thmbsp:

They do look different! :scratch2:

honingbob
08-05-2012, 02:18 PM
You guys rock! Balifly, the pictures of the tone arm and table are correct, just the coloring of the motor/belt cover is different and the handle on the reject lever is different. Have not figured out how to post a picture, but I have some ready. eBay item #271018813940 is IDENTICAL. BTW, I'm in Wisconsin.