View Full Version : Teac 3340S

Jenkster
08-17-2012, 09:57 PM
I picked up a very nice and working Teac 3340S off CL!:thmbsp: It came with a couple of Teac 10" reels, accessory kit and other tapes. It is in very nice condition with little dust inside. It was kept in the same cabinet since new. I am on the hunt for an owners manual. I found one on hifiengine but it is for the A-3340S. What is the difference between the two? I assume most of the information in the owners manual would be the same?:dunno: Any information about this deck would be greatly appreciated! I am excited about getting into Reels.:banana: Here's a couple of pics.

wcarroll
08-18-2012, 03:32 PM
Jenkster,
The 3340S and A-3340S are almost identical. The A-3340S has a little lever near the pinch roller that is used for tape editing. As far as I know, everything else is the same. The manual for the A-3340S will be fine for use with the 3340S.

Looks like a nice one you found!

FAB1
08-18-2012, 08:42 PM
I picked up a very nice and working Teac 3340S off CL!:thmbsp: It came with a couple of Teac 10" reels, accessory kit and other tapes. It is in very nice condition with little dust inside. It was kept in the same cabinet since new. I am on the hunt for an owners manual. I found one on hifiengine but it is for the A-3340S. What is the difference between the two? I assume most of the information in the owners manual would be the same?:dunno: Any information about this deck would be greatly appreciated! I am excited about getting into Reels.:banana: Here's a couple of pics.

Your deck is what Teac marketed as an improvement to the A-3340. Most of the design changes are in the tape transport but the two models look nearly identical and the manuals should be very similar.

The next and final progression of this simul-sync line was the Model 3440 which wasn't the same build quality as the earlier decks. You got a good one as long as the cap in the transport logic circuit holds out. :D

vfr800fiman
08-18-2012, 09:12 PM
You got a good one as long as the cap in the transport logic circuit holds out. :D

Can you please elaborate on this? I have an S-3340A, and would like to be proactive if this is an issue.

Thanks
Glenn

Jenkster
08-19-2012, 01:12 AM
Thanks for the information guys, I appreciate it!:thmbsp: I too would like to know about this cap issue.:yes:

joekid
08-19-2012, 10:49 AM
HiFi manual has the manuals for your teac
Joe
www.hifi-manuals.com

Jenkster
08-19-2012, 12:25 PM
HiFi manual has the manuals for your teac
Joe
www.hifi-manuals.com

Thanks Joe,

I appreciate the link!:thmbsp:

FAB1
08-25-2012, 06:01 PM
Can you please elaborate on this? I have an S-3340A, and would like to be proactive if this is an issue.

Thanks
Glenn

Thought I had the threads bookmarked but... :headscrat
Somewhere on the web the issue is discussed in great detail -- IIRC the solution was worked out on a British tape forum, if that helps. I tried a few
keywords but nothing came up. I think I got to the british forum from a link
at Tapeheads.

But I wont swear to it. If someone finds the info please post back here I want to bookmark the pages. Since my Teac is A-3340 non-S this issue doesnt effect this model because of the rocker switch and lack of the logic board that allow the "S" to go from Play to rew, etc without hitting Stop.

Basically, the S machine is stopping by itself and switching to the next mode - when the cap in question fails the transport controls do nothing.

skywavebe
09-17-2012, 12:16 PM
The A3340S only differs from the 3340S in that the A model was made for American distribution. There should be no differences otherwise. The Edit pinch Roller may have been a added accessory and can be taken off if you don't need it.
It is a lifter defeat lever which raises the pinch roller up- the Pinch Roller and lifters are linked to each other- Pinch Roller up - lifters raised.
I have not had and do not know of a Transport cap problem over the last 40 years I have been working on these machines. That model was my first open reel from Teac and worked for many years until I sold it while I worked at Teac having access to many higher up models. The Tascam 44OB was the highest of the 4 track reels Teac produced.
If you have questions as to Teac products, I'm the guy to ask.

Sam of Skywave Tape Deck Repair

vfr800fiman
09-30-2012, 05:11 PM
Thanks for putting my mind at ease regarding the cap problem, or lack of one :)
I had a question about my A-3340S, it seems I get a very low signal when fast winding. It's whatever is recorded on the tape (very fast!) not a random sound. Is there a relay or circuit in this deck that is supposes to mute the signal when winding? The edit lever is fully disengaged, so that's not the problem. I thought it might be the tape lifters, but they are free and up against the end of their travel.
Again, it's a very low signal but I can hear it when winding.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Glenn

markd51
09-30-2012, 07:56 PM
You folks wanna see something sweet?

Would like having one of these myself, having the oriiginal wired RC-120 instead. Mark

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-Remote-Adapter-RC-120-for-Teac-A-6100-A-3340S-A-3300SX-and-others-/221121017824?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item337bd6f7e0

jan_stevns
10-01-2012, 04:24 AM
You folks wanna see something sweet?

Would like having one of these myself, having the oriiginal wired RC-120 instead. Mark

I've seen it, and read the description - one thing came to mind, if he has sold more than 500 remotes, why on earth didn't he make a transmitter that doesn't look like the ten other remotes floating on the table ???

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=379938&stc=1&d=1349079699

I would simply get utterly tired of searching for the right remote :) and look for a thing like this one :

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=379942&stc=1&d=1349080129

that said - $200 ?? quite a heavy price.

DKirk
10-03-2012, 03:25 PM
Any universal remote will work. I'd rather he sent no remote and lowered the price by about $150.

I have five of those Direct TV remotes at my house.

jblmar
10-03-2012, 04:41 PM
Getting back to the transport cap issue, the delay caps value determins the delay from fast mode to play mode. If this cap loses its value, the delay time is shorter. This may result in tape damage as the reels wont go to a full stop before play mode is engaged.
Just a thought.

skywavebe
10-09-2012, 11:18 AM
Hi jblmar,
You are correct but I have not seen that kind of complaint in the 40 years that I have been servicing these things. OK, maybe one. Electrolytic capacitors of more than 7 years of age are not to be trusted much less 30 or 40 years so the best thing to do is switch them out with nice fresh ones. The better caps can be obtained at Mouser or DigiKey as well as many other suppliers but if the dime is a bit scarce, then more common place caps can be had a better prices at Unicorn Electronics- I have used these caps often and for some time and they do not give me any trouble.
http://unicornelectronics.com/Capacitors/CPE.html