View Full Version : Kenwood KD-2070 Turntable

Jim Creek
09-19-2012, 08:56 PM
I just bought a Kenwood KD-2070 Turntable from Craig's List. I paid $75 which is probably too much. But it's near mint except for a crack in the rear of the cover. It also included the original manual. The strobe works fine and the anti-skating weight is there.

Is this a decent TT? Do I need to clean the motor? It has no belt since it's direct drive. It has an Empire 845QE/D cartridge. Should I upgrade the cartridge to something else? Finally if I keep the cartridge is there a replacement stylus?...Thanks!

Brett a
09-19-2012, 09:15 PM
that's a lot of 'table for the money i'd say.

I had a 3070 and it didn't look as nice as yours. I think you're better off with that strung antiskate weight. The 3070 has a little rocker thingie that I never really warmed up to.

I can't comment on the cartridge. but I'm sure spmeone will be along who can.

BTW, is it supisingly heavy?

Jim Creek
09-19-2012, 09:48 PM
that's a lot of 'table for the money i'd say.

BTW, is it supisingly heavy?

It seems quite hefty.

gadget73
09-19-2012, 10:10 PM
A little oil on the spindle won't hurt you any. Probably need to pop the platter off to get at it though. Arm looks of decent construction and heft usually indicates some quality. Looks to be in good shape too, so 75 isn't unreasonable.

There was a recent long thread about Empire carts, and the general consensus is they aren't bad. I dont know much about the heirarchy of Empires at all, but the 66/X I am listening to right now is nice. I think the QE/X means Quad Elliptical, which should be a shibata or line contact stylus, and thats a good thing.

nbarber
09-20-2012, 01:16 AM
I used that same table with an Empire 2000E/1 and was never happy with ther sound. It was kind of flat and hollow. I swapped in an AT440 and that deck really came alive. I put the Empire on an HK T35c and it sounded great. The HK has a much lower mass tone arm than the Kenwood. In my very limited experience the Empires are better suited to the lower mass arms, though I have no experience with the Empire 845QE/D so I can't comment on that cart specificaly. I paid $50.00 but got lucky as it was 50% off day at the SA. I would have paid the whole $100.00 becuase that is a quality deck so I think you got a good deal. That's my $0.02.

cgutz
09-20-2012, 07:45 PM
Kenwoods are very under appreciated. I have a KD5070 and KD550.

The owners manual should indicate if lubrication is necessary. If it is the same as mine, no lubrication is possible. Don't put oil down the spindle until you check the manual.

Stylus are available, just google cartridge model and brand and stylus. I always replace stylus when I buy used. Never know where it has been used, abused, and for how long!

You got a nice deal.

Van_Isle
10-16-2012, 12:08 AM
I picked up a KD-2070 today ... also cracked dust cover at rear next to one hinge and dirty, dirty, dirty, but the anti-skate weight is there. Came with a Shure M91ED mounted on an Audio Technica headshell. Spins but needs the speed pots cleaned and adjusted. $40.

I've had a KD-3070 before - I think I like the looks of this one better - must be that T-grip shifter-style start / cue lever!

Jim Creek
10-16-2012, 10:26 AM
I picked up a KD-2070 today ... also cracked dust cover at rear next to one hinge and dirty, dirty, dirty, but the anti-skate weight is there. Came with a Shure M91ED mounted on an Audio Technica headshell. Spins but needs the speed pots cleaned and adjusted. $40.

I've had a KD-3070 before - I think I like the looks of this one better - must be that T-grip shifter-style start / cue lever!

Please inform me how you clean the speed pots. What can of spray stuff do you use? What parts do you have to remove etc.

My KD-2070 has been a solid performer. As you know it's completely manual, no auto return. I like the damped cueing lever. Mine is quiet, no rumble or noise. No feedback.

My Grado Green 1 has a reputation of being a bit "hummy". When I turn up the volume to moderately loud levels I can hear a very faint hum with my ear on the speaker grill. Moving 3" away and the hum is inaudible.

With my old Empire cartridge that TT is dead quiet with my ear on the speaker grills no matter how high the volume.

Congrats on the TT. I really like mine!

Blue Shadow
10-16-2012, 12:29 PM
Please inform me how you clean the speed pots. What can of spray stuff do you use? What parts do you have to remove etc.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=207005

cgutz
10-16-2012, 03:11 PM
Nice table. Love my KD550 and KD5070. You did real well.

You clean pots with Craigs Deoxit. You can purchase this at Radio Shack. Remove the knobs (they should pull off) and spray a small amount down the sides of the shaft so the fluid goes down inside the speed controls. Turn the controls back and forth. If that doesn't work, you can remove the bottom and spray the deoxit into small openings in the side of the pot units, then again, turn the pots.

There may be some master speed pots on the circuit board that need cleaning. These are small and may be labelled. I have yet to see a KD2070/KD2077 service manual online to indicate if they have them and where they are.

This table probably does not have tonearm adjustment height (my KD5070 doesn't either). If so, and your tonearm/cartridge is not level with the record while playing, you can use different mat thicknesses to adjust VTA. You can also adjust the VTA with plastic shims between the cartridge and headshell.

My Ortofon F15 on the KD5070 had a VTA that was to high (the tonearm pivot was too high, and the tonearm angled down to the record). A second mat to raised the record for level tonearm/cartridge. When I did this, the sound bloomed and came alive!

The other thing to check for is the azimuth (whether the stylus is vertical in the groove). The stock headshell has no adjustment for this, but there is enough "play" in the headshell mount you can gently twist it until it the headshell is perfectly level to the record, assuming your stylus is vertical to the headshell. I use a small level to check this. This also helps improve the sound. Everytime I remove the headshell I have to readjust this.

Kenwoods are underappreciated, but word is getting out, and online prices are rising, as they are for all vintage TT.

wualta
10-16-2012, 04:15 PM
Jim C: Sorry I missed your original post. The 2070 or 5070 have been on my radar for a long time. I agree, I think you got a very good deal. Caig's DeoxIT is your friend. http://www.caig.com/

As for your Empire cartridge, yes, it's good, but it's heavy compared to other cartridges and NOS replacement styli are becoming rare. In fact, as of this moment, the only one I know of that's easily available is the original, a 2x7 elliptical and a very good stylus (I have one-- Empire S912E or S913E, both aka Pfanstiehl index number 239-PDE), but it's $80 now. Line-contact styli left over from the quad era will fit and work, but you're at the mercy of online-auction sellers. Maybe get one of the last original styli for it, use it up, then retire it. Good luck, and enjoy that table.

Blue Shadow
10-16-2012, 05:43 PM
The pic shows a couple speed pots for the KD-500, yours might be similar. You really need to get to the back side of them as putting Deoxit down the shaft is not going to put much juice where the work needs to be done.

On these pots, the dent at the top of the pics on each will allow Deoxit to get into the pot as well as the gap between the bottom cover and the board. Getting the Deoxit to the wiper on the board is where you want it to go.

Van_Isle
10-17-2012, 01:13 AM
I haven't taken mine apart yet so this is pretty generic:

For cleaning pots, what I've seen recommends following up with Caig Faderlube after - it will displace the Deoxit after it has done its job and lubricate / protect everything. Apparently the Deoxit can dissolve the adhesive holding carbon traces on inside the pots.

For a really dirty pot, get a can of cheaper zero residue contact cleaner (make sure it states 'safe on plastics') and use that to flush out the pot prior to applying the rather pricy Deoxit. I use a product from Napa autoparts ... I think it was under $6 for a big can.

Don't forget to do the speed control switch as well.

And yes spray from the back.

Once you have cleaned the exterior speed pots and any trimpots on the circuit boards, then center the exterior speed control pot and adjust the appropriate trim pot (33 or 45 rpm) while watching the strobes to get the speed as correct as possible. Repeat for the other speed ... actually I think service manuals for most turntables say do the 33 1st.

Please be carefull with this step - the table has to be running with the bottom off and turntable supported so you can put a small screwdriver onto the trim pot .... remember there is AC voltage in there!

peterfranks
10-17-2012, 01:28 AM
I think you done good for $75. Nice looking deck.

Jim Creek
10-17-2012, 09:42 AM
I removed the bottom plate on the KD-2070. I was surprised to learn that the plinth was made of a solid piece of MDF. I thought it was plastic. The components underneath looked like brand new with the exception of the isolation bushings for the transformer. I noticed that the 20 pole electric motor is massive.

OK, here's what I've done.

The first thing I noticed was that the rubber isolation bushings on the transformer had deteriorated somewhat. I added a stack of 4 new grommets to re-create the function of the isolation bushings. I wanted to be sure that transformer is well isolated.

Secondly, I removed the speed control pots from the deck. I sprayed the contact cleaner spray into the openings and worked them a bit.

The third thing I tackled was lubricating and adjusting the cueing/damping mechanism. This consists of a cam lobe, some levers and springs. I used a light coating of lithium grease. Now the arm ascends faster and higher. It descends slower and more gently. That worked out very well.

There is no way to lubricate the bearings or electric motor. I tightened a few loose screws and was done.

I reassembled the TT and tested it out. It’s hard to believe this is a 35 year old piece of equipment. It’s a solid, quiet, well performing turntable. I like it even more now.

Van_Isle
11-03-2012, 10:26 PM

Here it is .... working on cleaning it up. The badge is crooked (seems to me to be common on these Kenwoods). I ordered a new stylus for the M91ED but the original one sounds just fine (great in fact ... I think it's one of the original taperd-cantilever nude ellipticals) - yeah I know for the safety of my vinyl I shouldn't use that one.

A little deoxit on the pitch control pot and I didn't have to touch the speed adjustments on the motor - speed is spot-on with the pitch control in the middle of its range - but easy to do the readjustment if needed in the future since the motor speed adustments are accessible without taking the bottom pan off the turntable - access holes are provided.

Think I've found a dustcover that will work to replace the cracked one that came with my unit - next phase of the project.

KD-2077 owner's manual on vinylengine.com applies to this model.

So far seems to be a nice, solid, quiet turntable. I'm running it through a HK 430 twin power receiver into a pair of Mirage M350 speakers I picked up the other day.

Jim Creek - I think we done good!

tjw1978
11-26-2013, 05:47 AM
The pic shows a couple speed pots for the KD-500, yours might be similar. You really need to get to the back side of them as putting Deoxit down the shaft is not going to put much juice where the work needs to be done.

On these pots, the dent at the top of the pics on each will allow Deoxit to get into the pot as well as the gap between the bottom cover and the board. Getting the Deoxit to the wiper on the board is where you want it to go.

Any idea where to get replacement pots like these? My 5070 has 2 bad ones. Need to replace them. I know they are 2k ohm pots but i need to find out the watts and volts? I tried cleaning them but black stuff came out and now i have no speed control. Im guessing they were on their last leg and the cleaner deterioated what little control they had left.