View Full Version : SONY PS-8750 on eBay

friedmonky
09-07-2005, 09:18 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/SONY-PS-8750-HIGH-END-DIRECT-DRIVE-TURNTABLE-NICE_W0QQitemZ5805582625QQcategoryZ3283QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

Looks nice, has a couple minor problems. Might be a steal for someone. :thmbsp:

FM

ByrdWyngs
09-07-2005, 11:34 PM
I'm hopin' that someone is me. Waiting for a reply to a couple of questions from the seller.

Yamaha B-2
09-08-2005, 04:57 PM
Damn! You beat me to it. Oh, well. I've got to pay for my HW-16.5 LP cleaner. Good for you and good luck with your bidding. I'll just have to be satisfied with the rewire/cap upgrade of my PF-800.

BTW. The problems the seller describes sound something like the ones I had with my PS-X7 (after about a buzillion plays over the course of 12+ years). The plastic bits that mechanically actuate these functions eventually wear our. Wouldn't be worth the cost/effort to repair on the PS-X7. Just run it in manual mode. But the PS-8750 is a much different story. Run in manual until the bits are fabricated and then install them.

ByrdWyngs
09-08-2005, 05:45 PM
I've been watching that auction since right after it was listed, just been keeping quiet about it. I did get a response back from the seller with pretty much the answers I was hoping for so we'll just have to wait and see how the bidding goes. It doesn't look like it's seen much use so I'm hoping it just needs a little bit of cleaning and adjustment but it sounds like it will probably need a new power switch. Not sure where I'd come up with one but it shouldn't be too hard to MacGyver something temporarily.

bordeno
09-08-2005, 07:51 PM
If you don't get the 8750, how about that nice PS-X6 with the ADC cart that starts at $69 with no bids. Someone might steal that one, and you could do a heck of a lot worse.

Stanton681EEES
09-08-2005, 09:19 PM
Question What's the major diffrence between a Sony PS-X6 and a PS-X7?

Yamaha B-2
09-08-2005, 09:40 PM
Graphite armtube on the -X7 and metal (aluminum, I am guessing) on the -X6. They are the same other than this.

Also, there is another -X6 on eBay starting at $5.

dshoaf
09-08-2005, 10:28 PM
were very good and solid as a rock. I had one when they came out (sold 'em, too) and they never failed to deliver. A few years ago, I bought one, tho, which had a couple of problems:

* Speed was erratic, especially at 45RPM. It would run fine for a while but then slow down then speed up again.

* The damped cueing mechanism didn't work - all the fluid was gone.

So, on the speed problem, I discovered that the voltage regulator would change its regulated voltage once warmed up. It only took a minor adjustment - on the board - to get it back in again. BTW, there are *lots* of wire-wrapped connections on the boards, which I soldered to remove the possibility of them causing problems later.

On the cueing mechanism, I never did figure out how to disassemble it without removing the entire arm from the plinth. I finally decided it wasn't worth it. My son now uses it.

Other gremlins to watch out for:

* The 4 feet are adjustable to level the TT but beware that they use a plastic threaded shaft. Any pushing of the TT will cause them to break without fully picking up the TT as you move it around. You can, however, improve them by using a small nail with its head cut off. Insert it down into the threaded shaft on each foot. Use some epoxy on the end of the nail to keep it in place. These things are unobtainium unless you find a donor unit.

* Do *not* clean the inside rim of the platter. This contains a magnetic strip used to determine the rotation of the platter for the speed locking circuits. Also be sure that the pickup, a silver item, is clean and does not have dust in the way. Don't adjust this unless you have the correct instrumentation and the service manual.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

David

ByrdWyngs
09-08-2005, 10:52 PM
If you don't get the 8750, how about that nice PS-X6 with the ADC cart that starts at $69 with no bids.Thanks but I've already got a PS-X70 (and a PS-X600 and a couple of other decent TT's). The PS-X6 would probably be a step down from the X70. The 8750 is hopefully a step up from the X70, but the main reason I really want it is that it's the correct vintage to go with the rest of my VFET system.

Jon S
09-09-2005, 02:29 AM
sweet.... i have been looking for a 8750 for awhile since my previous shipping disaster. I guess i can expect some competitive bidding then. Good luck to all.

Jon S
09-10-2005, 03:31 AM
The problem with the later turntables was that they had processor controlled arms which were pretty massive. While it could control things like resonances, mass is mass, and it's kinetic energy makes it pretty non-responsive to any quick movement, sounding rather "dead". If processor controlled arms were the ultimate in design why doesn't current turntables feature it? They all went back to low-mass responsivce arms.

The PS-X7 was a descendant from the PS-8750. It inherited the quartz crystal locked drive, a high torque brushless slotless motor, gel-filled platter mat, sony's proprietary massive "bulk molded compound" and the graphite arm all for about 1/3 the price of the 8750. Oddly enough, the 8750 arms seemed more massive than the PS-X7. The headshell alone was heavier than the one with the PS-X7. The gel-filled mat also is a problem. The gel mat tends to harden as it ages which rendered it useless and made the sound worse. The best thing about the PS-8750 is that it looks like a high end unit and the PS-X7 doesn't.

axel
09-10-2005, 04:42 AM
The arm of the 8750 is a special version of Sony's PUA-1600S ; the one on the X7 is a "generic" Sony tonearm albeit graphite/carbon charged...

Although I already have a TTS-8000, if a 8750 was showing up around my place, I'd take it just for its arm that I'd put in the 2nd armbase of the TTS. I'm sure there must be a few 8750s in France but they sure are sleeping real tight!

ByrdWyngs
09-10-2005, 12:45 PM
I've never had any dealings with the seller but I'm not sure how this TT could be much less than described. He's already stated the power and reject buttons don't work and there are lots of pictures that show the condition. I don't know if it's going to make much difference one way or the other for me at this point anyway since the bidding really jumped up over night and I recognize a couple of the other bidder's IDs. I seem to recall going up against these guys before and losing out to their deeper pockets. I would really like to have an 8750 but I'm not sure I want to go too much higher than where the bidding is at now considering the problems. A little over 4 hours to go and I'm just hoping the others have already done their serious bidding, but I don't think anybody is goint to steal this one.

Yamaha B-2
09-10-2005, 01:09 PM
You gotta love the high bidder's user name. How many "flowery_twats" do you know?

Jon S
09-10-2005, 02:33 PM
Makes me really wish the mint one i won for $180 wasn't destroyed in shipping. I don't think I will bid on this one. It looks like it will be a lot higher before its over. Altho if it doesn't go much over $300, i will be really pissed....

I also see a really nice PS-X800, but the tangent arm looks bent, if so, it's not much of a deal....

ByrdWyngs
09-10-2005, 03:21 PM
You gotta love the high bidder's user name. How many "flowery_twats" do you know?It's certainly a hard ID to forget even if you aren't a John Cleese / Fawlty Towers fan (which I am). He buys and sells a lot of high end(ish) gear. I'm pretty sure he bid against me (and won) at least one of the PS-X70s I had bid on and one of the VFETS too.

ByrdWyngs
09-10-2005, 03:28 PM
I also see a really nice PS-X800, but the tangent arm looks bent, if so, it's not much of a deal....Yeah, 'Factory New' and 'Excellent Condition', if you don't count the cracked dust cover hinge slots and the bent tonearm.

Yamaha B-2
09-10-2005, 05:08 PM
ByrdWyngs - Nice try. Too bad, but don't think flowery_twat was about to get outbid on this one.

Crazy seller, though. He had a 'mint' CA-2010 that he listed so that it sold in the same minute as the TT. What would you do if you wanted both? Bid like flowery_twat, I guess.

Better luck next time. Starting to make Vlad's PS-8750 look good.

ByrdWyngs
09-10-2005, 05:29 PM
Yeah, guess I'm just going to have to make do with the PS-X70 for a bit longer. I almost put in another bid at $375 but I didn't really think it would do me any good and it was higher than I wanted to go anyway. Flowery_twat must really want that table bad, not only did he bid high but he's going to get to pay shipping to the UK on top of it.

Yamaha B-2
09-10-2005, 05:35 PM
Hope they travel better to the UK than they do to Hawaii. :D

His CA-2010 almost doubled in price in the last minute. I thought I might pick up another one for a song. Wishful thinking, obviously.

nbourbaki
09-11-2005, 05:37 PM
If you don't get the 8750, how about that nice PS-X6 with the ADC cart that starts at $69 with no bids. Someone might steal that one, and you could do a heck of a lot worse.

I sent a note to the seller asking questions about the conditon of the PS-X6 turntable. Here is the answer I received:

Thanks for your email. All legitimate questions however, I cant stop feeling that by answering in the affirmative, I may be setting myself up for problems, should you win our auction. We test our auction items, yes. Did we go over everything with a fine tooth-comb, NO. To put this turntable through the battery of tests and subsequent service time in order to answer your questions honestly, we would have to have spend several hours. Simply not efficient use of our time nor money. This is time and money that we would simply not recoup on the sale. If this was a $300-500 turntable then YES, everything you asked would be addressed and serviced if necessary. Basically, what I am trying to say is that we are just trying to cover our collective asses here by not commiting to the perfection of this turntable that you seem to be seeking. All functions did indeed perform well. No tobacco smoke. We did not clean the headshell leads nor electical connections. There was minor hum yes (fairly common amongst older t/t's) but by using the ground wire, it was elliminated. We didnt hear any serious motor or bearing noises however, I didnt really spend any time in silence to listen for this. Yes the base is intact. We dont sell crap here and recognize this Sony as a good quality turntable, especially in the price range it will probably be sold at. I wont give a 0 to 10 rating as that is a totally subjective number. I hope you respect my reasonings and, given this info, be satisfied that the Sony was a well taken care of t/t and in good operating and esthetic shape. Thanks again, enjoy the day,
Marty & Christine

Wornears
09-11-2005, 08:39 PM
For the money the 8750 went for I'd be looking at a new TT; not something with busted ON button/return function. Just one person's opinion.

Yamaha B-2
09-11-2005, 08:45 PM
Ah, man. Where is your TT soul? Vintage is where its at. The PS-8750 would be a $5K+ TT today. Definitely worth a few $ to get these items fixed.

Wornears
09-11-2005, 11:12 PM
My TT soul is (unfortunately) tied to my checkbook with one child in college and two more a couple of years away. I guess my TT soul is economically bound to my original purchase Dual 510 with Stanton 681EEE, and my Rotel 855 TTs for now.

Every one of us has a vintage audio jones: I guess TTs don't jack me up like a set of vintage speakers do -- where I have been very, very, very, tempted and placed "stupid money" on ePrey bids, and afterwards thanking luck for overcoming my lapse of common sense when I was outbid.

Didn't mean to knock (too hard) the chase after that Sony TT. Probably just envious I couldn't get it to go with my Sony 5800 or 6800 receivers or TC-K60 cassette deck!

bordeno
09-12-2005, 09:54 AM
On the PS-X6, I'd really be surprised if the auto return function, or any automatic function, is working; on my X7 it isn't and the table is in beautiful condition otherwise. Of course, I could care less about any auto functions on any turntable. The less automation, the better.

ByrdWyngs
09-12-2005, 04:39 PM
For the money the 8750 went for I'd be looking at a new TT; not something with busted ON button/return function. Just one person's opinion.I've got an MMF 2.1 which is one of the very few semi-decent new tables you can buy for that kind of money right now, and I can guarantee you the 8750 would blow it's doors off. Unfortunately $300-$350 will barely get you a new entry level starter table, but it can get you a killer vintage rig. There was a TD-125 with an SME 3009 arm that sold Sunday AM for $340 that was a little rough cosmetically but would probably sound much better than any new table you can buy for less that $1000.

axel
01-21-2006, 09:13 AM
will anybody take the plunge on this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5856723276&fromMakeTrack=true ?
or has X-Mas hopelessly depleted the reserves?

Yamaha B-2
01-21-2006, 09:24 AM
That would be me. If you want it, you'd better dig deep. :D

And, thanks Axel. I was hoping to get it for $51.

Dick Schneiders
01-21-2006, 12:12 PM
That would be me. If you want it, you'd better dig deep. :D

And, thanks Axel. I was hoping to get it for $51.

Good luck!

I have been watching this one since it first came up on eBay. It would be nice to have a DD Sony to match my TTS3000A. :cool:

So I don't think $51 will get it. :scratch2:

Dick Schneiders

ByrdWyngs
01-21-2006, 12:41 PM
I'd be all over it but I did tell YB2 that I'd let him have the next one that came up. Don't think I'd want to get into a 3 way bidding war with him and Dick anyway. I still want one to go with my VFET stack, but I'm OK for now with the X70. If the price doesn't get up to the range I expect it to though I might have trouble restraining myself, still owe myself a Christmas present. :D

Might try for one of the TTS-3000 listed right now instead, but neither one has a tonearm which makes them a bit less appealing.

Dick Schneiders
01-21-2006, 01:03 PM
Yes, I am watching both of the TTS3000's too, as I would like to have a back up motor for mine. I went 20 years with my original Sony 3000 deck in storage because of a bad motor, and now that it is finally working again, I don't want to have that happen again.

I doubt that I will want to spend too much on one of these, though, just for a back up.

I probably should just take my original motor apart and see if I can fix it.

Dick Schneiders

Yamaha B-2
01-21-2006, 02:56 PM
OK. My official bid is in.

Jon S
01-21-2006, 10:55 PM
oh wow.... i guess i am in for some competition tomorrow...... good luck to all!

Dick Schneiders
01-22-2006, 01:35 PM
Well, I actually bid quite a bit more than the winning bid, but the seller had blocked my id from bidding on this item!! :sigh:

I had asked him a few days ago about his experience in packing turntables for shipping. I gave him some detailed suggestions about the way to do it. He responded very nicely that he knew there could be problems with these and that was what insurance was for. I told him that I had been burned in the past, even with insurance, if there was no damage to the exterior of the box. The carrier's will not pay insurance if they determine the item was not packaged properly. He responded again that he understood this, as he has also been burned by this as a buyer. He did not tell me that I should not bid or that he would block me as a bidder, but that is what he did. He did say that perhaps I would be better off bidding on a turntable that was closer to me that I could pick up in person. :thumbsdn:

I guess he decided I might be too particular and might actually want the turntable to arrive in working order.

I think Yamaha B-2 won it. I sure hope for his sake that it arrives safely.

Dick Schneiders

absolon
01-22-2006, 01:38 PM
Well done Glenn, great price.

bully
01-22-2006, 01:44 PM
Jeez, I didn't know everyone was watching this table. I put in a snipe but was way outbid--$383 or somesuch.

Yamaha B-2
01-22-2006, 02:03 PM
Well.....its mine. Just hope it gets here in good shape. I'll let everyone know.

axel
01-22-2006, 02:14 PM
Congrats Glenn!
Everybody WAS watching it I see :)

Yamaha B-2
01-22-2006, 02:18 PM
Hi Axel - Yep. Been watching for a couple of years, now. The 'nervious' part begins. Will it make it to me in one piece?

Do you know if these are the standard hinge types that allow one to remove the dustcover by simply sliding the hinges out of their mounts on the back of the TT?

ByrdWyngs
01-22-2006, 02:22 PM
Glenn,

Last time I told you I'd let you have the next one and I did (or at least let you have it for less than it would have cost you otherwise). I really hope it gets to you in good shape. Fair warning for the rest of you though, the gloves are coming off now and the next one is mine. :D

George

axel
01-22-2006, 02:43 PM
Glenn,

The hinges are screwed to the cover and can be slid off the base where they are fastened with another (removable as well) screw.

Yamaha B-2
01-22-2006, 02:46 PM
Thank you, Axel.

And, Thank you, George. Let's just pray to the AudioKarma Gods that it arrives in one piece. I'll be rooting for you on the next one. Go get 'em!!

ingvarth
01-22-2006, 02:51 PM
"This listing (#5805582625) has been removed or is no longer available. Please make sure you entered the right item number."

this is what apperas on the ebay site when i follow the link..you might wanan check up on that..

Charivari
01-22-2006, 03:05 PM
ingvarth, the link you followed is for an old listing. This is the one (http://cgi.ebay.com/SONY-TURNTABLE-PHONO-PS-8750-DIRECT-DRIVE-SYSTEM-NR_W0QQitemZ5856723276QQcategoryZ3283QQssPageNameZ WDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) everyone is so excited about.

Yamaha B-2, way to go winning this table! I'm very glad to see it go to an AKer. Be sure to post lots of pics when you get it. Now, as to shipping fears, there are a few AKers in Arizona, maybe you can rope one of them into picking up the table and packing it properly for you? Surely this should work as a variation on the AK Pony Express.

- JP

Yamaha B-2
01-22-2006, 03:11 PM
JP - Thanks for the idea. Is actually just outside of Birmingham, AL, rather than AZ. Any AKers out there in Birmingham area willing to help out?

Yamaha B-2
01-22-2006, 05:27 PM
Just spoke with the seller and he seems like a decent person. Is going to allow me to send him good boxes and packing instructions for the TT. Will have him remove the platter, dustcover and counter-weight and wrap separately in a thick layer of bubble wrap and put in a separate box from the TT. Will have him tie-down the arm and then wrap the TT with several inches of bubblewrap. The place inside a double-weight box with 2" of styrofoam on all six sides. The place additional bubblewrap in to insure that it is wedged in tightly enough that bouncing around by the carrier won't make any difference.

Axel, do you know if there are tie-down screws under the platter like on a PS-X7? If so, do you know what size these shipping screws are and how many?

BTW, if I haven't said so, I'm am really, really thrilled :banana: :banana: :banana: to actually own one of these and can't thank Axel enough for putting me onto one in the first place. If can only get it here in good shape.

axel
01-23-2006, 04:08 AM
Glenn,

There are normally two red screws to tie-down the motor, not the platter. At least on my TTS-8000 it is like that... Sice TTS-8000 and PS-8750 are close cousins...

I suggest you tell the seller to ship your 8750 the way hifi-do does: platter away from the body of the turntable, ie. in another box.
I received my 8000 in two boxes: one for the lid/platter/accessories and one for the "mainframe". The lid was filled with styrofoam with custom cutouts for the platter and the rest ; it was then fully wrapped in 2/3cm thick styrofoam + bubblewrap and double-boxed. Same for the TTS-8000/TB-2000.

And DO ask the seller to be REALLY CAREFUL with the brown magnetic strip at the bottom of the platter!

axel
01-23-2006, 04:33 AM
The 8750 motor tie-down screws are where the arrows point to in the image below.

Yamaha B-2
01-23-2006, 05:34 AM
Thanks, Axel. That is very similar to the location the PS-X7 shipping screws. Works in a similar fashion. Thankfully, I have an AKer in the area who will be helping out on this. :thmbsp: Ak to the rescue, again.

Unda Maris
01-23-2006, 09:50 AM
Glenn,

hello AK !

did you notice, that the PUA-1600S has an extra feature, to secure the very very very fragile saphire pivot elements ?

Please take a look on the picture, it shows you how to activate that feature.
You have to screw a ring some turns up in order to lift the pivot a little bit.
After that the complete vertical action of the tonearm will be blocked and the saphire elements will lose contact to the spikes. After that one should secure the ring with a piece of sticky tape.

If you donīt do that prior transport there is a 95% probability that the tonearm will be damaged or destroyed !!!

Mirko

Yamaha B-2
01-23-2006, 05:37 PM
Mirko - Thank you very much!! Appreciate the info.

Yamaha B-2
01-24-2006, 07:11 PM
Mirko - In my excitement over actually being the owner of a PS-8750 I forgot to welcome you to AK!! The info and help you've provided is just what this forum is all about.

Unda Maris
01-25-2006, 02:58 PM
Mirko - In my excitement over actually being the owner of a PS-8750 I forgot to welcome you to AK!! The info and help you've provided is just what this forum is all about.

As you can see I am an AK member for some time, but I never had to post anything important ...

As you can imagine I am also one of those lucky PS-8750 owners.

I never liked vinyl very much, because I heard my records with a DUAL CS 628 for a long time and associated its bad performance with the medium ... what a fool I was ... :thumbsdn:

Since I am mainly a vintage SONY collector I nevertheless looked for a PS-8750 because I wanted to own the complete 8X5X Series.

A few months ago a PS-X7 (with XL-15 pickup) came in (frustration buy, no PS-8750 or `alternatively` a PS-X9 was in sight for over three years) and I was very surprised how much better it performed than my DUAL and I really started to musically enjoy my old records.

A few weeks later I stepped over a PS-8750 and got it after a bid war.
It had some technical problems with reject/auto return and Xtal lock, but I was able to fix it completely :banana:.

The first audition after the repair/maintenance was with an Empire pickup which came with it, and that was like a culture shock for me, because it clearly blew away the PS-X7 :music: . Even an exchange of the pickups didnīt bring the PS-X7 back in front again, no chance ...

I am now very happy with my PS-8750 using it with the great Denon DL304 :D , which is the better choice for Classics.

The only problem is that I donīt own many records ... thanks to the DUAL TT ... :tears:

Yamaha B-2
01-27-2006, 05:16 AM
As a former owner of a PS-X7 (until I wore it out through max use) and think it is a most excellent TT, am even more excited about the PS-8750.

Was able to pick up the service manual and supplement here: http://www.servicemanuals.net/(dmahznv3cxn12455hmakpk55)/privacy.aspx Have e-mailed Sony parts to see if the owner's manual is still available. Keeping my fingers crossed on everything.

Yamaha B-2
02-01-2006, 07:45 PM
Hopefully, this thing will be as reliable as it is complex. Here is a pic Mirko was kind enough to send me.

Yamaha B-2
02-10-2006, 05:26 PM
Just heard from Jeff in Birmingham and my PS-8750 is in two boxes and on its way.

Thanks for all the help, Jeff!! :thmbsp:

Unda Maris
02-10-2006, 05:29 PM
I keep my fingers crossed for you ! :thmbsp:

axel
02-10-2006, 05:49 PM
ditto!

davidjsharp
02-10-2006, 05:56 PM
Just heard from Jeff in Birmingham and my PS-8750 is in two boxes and on its way.

Thanks for all the help, Jeff!! :thmbsp:
I hope it arrives safely - and thanks for all your offline help and advice - not least of which was putting me intouch with this forum!

JDaniel
02-10-2006, 06:26 PM
Well, it's packed well and absolutely no way it can shift around in the box. Let's all hope it arrives safe and sound. It's up to Fed Ex now.

JD

Yamaha B-2
02-10-2006, 07:49 PM
Thanks for your best wishes. May the Fedex 'gods' :ntwrthy: smile upon this shipment. :D I've said three chants and am burning several candles for the next few days. Will be hibernating until the boxes arrive. The suspense is getting to me.

Well.....not really. But would be nice to have everything work out.

Yamaha B-2
02-15-2006, 02:09 PM
PS-8750 arrived in good physical shape (nothing broken)!! :banana:

Did get everything unpacked and put together. Did my first listen with the installed Sony cartridge with the DJ stylus (DJ - wonder what this table's former life involved?). Any way, all went together well and listened on my 'trial' system (STR-V4 & $15 speakers). Was in a great rush as was Valentine's day and hadn't treated the wife to dinner, yet. Didn't have time to run the gound wire. Results of 2-minute trial are:
- doesn't work in auto mode.
- no dampening on the lift mechanism. Seems to be the standrd for older Japanese TTs. Will dab the silicon dampening fluid into place and think it will be fine.
- has an electronic 'click' that goes through the signal. am guessing that it has a bad cap somewhere.
- spins up to speed and locks in quickly, so drive control seems fine.
- dirty, so needs a good cleaning.
- finger lift is missing from the headshell, but I have a spare from a SME 309 headshell that should work just fine.

More once I get the chance to actually give it some time. I'll post a couple of pic's, as well.

Thanks, again, Jeff. All arrived in good shape. :thmbsp:

axel
02-15-2006, 04:43 PM
relief :yes:

Bigerik
02-15-2006, 04:45 PM
Awesome!
Can't wait to hear your thoughts when it is all done!

JDaniel
02-15-2006, 06:15 PM
PS-8750 arrived in good physical shape (nothing broken)!! :banana:

Thanks, again, Jeff. All arrived in good shape. :thmbsp:

Whew ..... now I can breathe easier. I knew the trouble you went to in order to get this to you ok. I was just hoping I didn't screw something up.

I hope it cleans up and shines like you want it to.

Glad to help an AKer out.

JD

Unda Maris
02-15-2006, 06:59 PM
Congrats Glenn ! :thmbsp:

I think the click noise and the missing auto return/reject have a common cause !

I had the same problem on my PS-8750 and it was a trivial mechanical problem.

The problem may also cause a slight fluctuation in platter speed, which can be heard as a slight wow and flutter and a hum like vibration of the plinth ...

I look if I can draw a scetch for you...

Yamaha B-2
02-15-2006, 07:06 PM
Again, thanks to all for your thoughts.

Mirko - Yes, please sketch for me. I did notice on first run that the speed would not lock-in and there was a large amount of wow & flutter. But that went away and locked right in. You can either post here for all or send via e-mail.

Here are the pic's I promised. Will start the clean & polish process tonight. My clever names for each pic disappeared with the posting. They are:
Arrival!!
Its Open!!
Outta da box!!
All's Well!! :D

Jon S - Do you still have that parts unit that UPS provided? If not, do you know if the owner still has? I might like to have for the useful pieces. Thanks.

JDaniel
02-15-2006, 07:11 PM
Uh, what's with the white grass in the background of "Arrival?" Is that a new variety of grass? We don't have that here in the south.

JD

Yamaha B-2
02-15-2006, 07:19 PM
We pay top dollar for that white lawn (unfortunately, in the way of heating bills) each and every winter. Were it in my power, I would send you all I get each year. And am sure many other northern members would, too. :D

Nothing to do but sit in and listen to some good tunes or head to the range or some other festivity. Gotta keep that boredom from settling in. Have to admit, every winter is worse than the last. Need my light and warmth (and not the artifical varity).

Unda Maris
02-15-2006, 08:26 PM
Glenn here is my first try to explain it (in german English):

The tonearm mechanics is driven by an independent motor, wich is connected to it by a small belt.

(A really good turntable has a belt drive for the arm and direct drive for the platter .... :D )

On my TT this belt has lost some part of itīs strain and was not able to transmit the torque, which is necessary to start arm movement.

The result was, that the motor ran all the time, but the belt slipped over about every second (click noise) and the platter brake electronics was activated all the time (hum of the plinth), even when the platter was spinning (additional wow and flutter, because of fight motor electronics against brake electronics).

When I cleaned the belt with some alcohol and increased the strain of it, the arm motor was able to execute the complete mechanical program to the end, the arm went back home and after that the motor stopped and the hum disappeared some seconds later ...

I also had to replace a dry capacitor in the strobe light generator. I would recommend to do that with your TT too, because the strobe light generator has a feedback to the XTAL-lock .. !

Quite a complicated beast, which doesnīt sound very good if anything goes wrong inside.

After these and some other repairs, the PS-8750 suddenly was extremely silent and all the click, hum and wow + flutter were gone ....

Yamaha B-2
02-15-2006, 08:31 PM
Mirko - thank you. I'll check everything out this weekend. Sure does help to have someone on the thread who has been through all this before. :thmbsp:

BTW - what software are you using to put the details like arrows and words on your JPegs?

Unda Maris
02-15-2006, 08:56 PM
Donīt laugth,

itīs Microsoft Paint :thumbsdn: ...... :D

But I do that quite often and Iīm fast with it, because I do some engineering for a company in the U.S. and itīs common practice to comment technical photos with some red arrows, circles and text to make things more clear if you only communicate via E-Mail and phone ...

ByrdWyngs
02-15-2006, 11:20 PM
Glenn, Glad to see it has arrived safely. Too bad it isn't quite plug and play as advertised but hopefully a little cleaning and adjustment will have it back in good shape in short order.

theophile
02-16-2006, 01:01 AM
Never an easy thing to get a TT from A to B without courting disaster. :tears:
I had the same reaction when looking at your first photo."Is that snow?"
Then I recalled seeing NYC snowbound on the television.I think the last time snow fell where I live was the last Ice Age. :)
Getting your TT in one piece must almost :no: make up for missing that C2x(I'm not rubbing it in).Keep lookin' pal,you'll score eventually.
I'd love to compare the 8750 with the PX-2,I'm sure any sane person would be happy to own either. :yes:
Keep us up to date with your impressions. :thmbsp:

Jon S
02-16-2006, 01:12 AM
sorry, the post office kept the broken 8750 when I submitted the claim.

Yamaha B-2
02-16-2006, 06:10 AM
sorry, the post office kept the broken 8750 when I submitted the claim.Too bad. All those unobtanium parts in the land-fill somewhere.

Vinyl Rules!
02-16-2006, 12:42 PM
sorry, the post office kept the broken 8750 when I submitted the claim.
All they do is toss them in the dumpster behind the post office.

I live in a very small town and once I got a vintage radio that was smashed by the post office. After the claim was paid, I asked the postmaster what they did with damaged merchandise. He said they just threw it in their dumpster. Then he said, do you want this broken thing? I said yes, I might could use it for parts, so he simply handed it to me.

Probably wouldn't work this way in a larger town, but all post offices have dumpsters behind them. :cool:

Unda Maris
02-16-2006, 02:00 PM
They threw a PS-8750 into the dumpster ?

Does this mean itīs passed on ?
It is no more ?
It has ceased to be ?
It's expired and gone to meet his maker ?
Itīs a stiff ?
Bereft of life, it rests in peace ?
Itīs electronic circuits are now history ?
It's off the twig ?
It's kicked the bucket, it's shuffled off this mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleeding choir invisibile ?

Is this an ex-PS-8750 ?

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

axel
02-16-2006, 02:19 PM
that's what happened to my Hasselblad EL/M (limited edition mind you: with a little moon on the front, to commemorate the 10th anniversary of july '69): a few months after the burglary it resurfaced somewere but was so badly trashed that it was deemed completely unrepairable by Hasselblad FR and Hasselblad SW.

I asked my prof. insurance if I could keep it just for the souvenir (my 1st publications I had done with that EL/M etc) since there was no way it could ever be repaired (should have seen what was left of it) but... NO. And NO again. And again NO. So it slept on a shelf in some vault for 10 years and then got to the dumpster. Still miss it, and the souvenirs.

Poor Blad - all alone on a shelf in a dark vault.
Poor 8750 - all trashed and dismembered in a stinky landfill.

Unda Maris
02-16-2006, 02:47 PM
Quelle misčre !
Thatīs really hard ! :tears:

Jon S
02-17-2006, 02:07 AM
for those who are not aware of my circumstances..... This was a mint PS8750. The unit was in a card board box with only an inch of padding all around. Paid $187 for it.

:tears:

Yamaha B-2
02-17-2006, 05:29 AM
Thankfully, my fellow AKers :thmbsp: helped my PS-8750 avoid this sad fate!! I thank you, one and all. :yes:

theophile
02-18-2006, 12:09 AM
Isn't that the one trashed by Vl*d? :nono:

Jon S
02-18-2006, 07:05 PM
no... it was bought from a seller in Florida. When unpacked, the arm pivots were broken, the arm was dangling by the cartridge leads. The cover obviously was shattered in many pieces.

Yamaha B-2
02-19-2006, 02:07 PM
Glenn here is my first try to explain it (in german English):
The tonearm mechanics is driven by an independent motor, wich is connected to it by a small belt.
(A really good turntable has a belt drive for the arm and direct drive for the platter .... :D )
On my TT this belt has lost some part of itīs strain and was not able to transmit the torque, which is necessary to start arm movement.
The result was, that the motor ran all the time, but the belt slipped over about every second (click noise) and the platter brake electronics was activated all the time (hum of the plinth), even when the platter was spinning (additional wow and flutter, because of fight motor electronics against brake electronics).
When I cleaned the belt with some alcohol and increased the strain of it, the arm motor was able to execute the complete mechanical program to the end, the arm went back home and after that the motor stopped and the hum disappeared some seconds later ...
I also had to replace a dry capacitor in the strobe light generator. I would recommend to do that with your TT too, because the strobe light generator has a feedback to the XTAL-lock .. !
Quite a complicated beast, which doesnīt sound very good if anything goes wrong inside.
After these and some other repairs, the PS-8750 suddenly was extremely silent and all the click, hum and wow + flutter were gone ....Just getting started on this. Did a cursory cleaning. I can believe this was a DJ TT. Ton of ugly brown stuff came off of everything (nicotine?). Will still go over it again before final installation into my system.

Main problem I have in working on TTs is the access to the bottom while it supposed to be going through its operations. Think I'm going to build a jig so that I can lay on my back and work overhead (ala Michaelangelo :D ). Make one side adjustable so can fit whatever TT I want into it.

Changing out that little belt is no mean feat, Mirko. Have to drop out that small pulley with the worm gear on the shaft to do so. Oh, well. I have nothing but time.

Also, the base on the PS-8750 could be considerably more robust. Am either going to make one out of the granite I sell or a double thick piece of 1" MDF and veneer the edges or paint them gloss black. I like the idea of the granite though. ~3" thick will weigh about 35 pounds. Nothing like an additional 35 pounds of mass on spikes to help out a TT. :thmbsp:

Vinyl Rules!
02-20-2006, 01:21 AM
[snip]
Also, the base on the PS-8750 could be considerably more robust. Am either going to make one out of the granite I sell or a double thick piece of 1" MDF and veneer the edges or paint them gloss black. I like the idea of the granite though. ~3" thick will weigh about 35 pounds. Nothing like an additional 35 pounds of mass on spikes to help out a TT. :thmbsp:
I've never seen a PS-8750 up close so I'm intrigued by your comment about it's base: Is it less substantial than the base on your Sony PS-X7? :cool:

Yamaha B-2
02-20-2006, 08:11 AM
Very different from the PS-X7, which is 100% composite and quite heavy and dense. While considerably earlier PS-8750 uses a similar composite on for the top half, the bottom half is fabricated from either plywood or MDF and then screwed to the top half, which is prmarily the composite material. And the PS-8750 is heavier. I'll post a pic or two when I pull it apart next time. If you look at the pic Jon S posted in post #82, the bottom half is gray. This is vinyl covered wood. The plinth above is the composite material with an aluminum trim (the silver). Think I prefer the design of the PS-X7, but the PS-8750 has a superior arm and the additional mass I'll be adding with a new base will make a big difference, I feel sure. But, have to get this one running well, first, before any mod's.

For my money, the PS-X7 is definitely the steal of the century in vinyl playback. Superior to anything else I used under $1200. That is why I have the PS-8750. Is a 'higher-end' Sony better than the PS-X7? Guess I'll find out shortly. :D

Vinyl Rules!
02-20-2006, 01:54 PM
[snip] Is a 'higher-end' Sony better than the PS-X7? Guess I'll find out shortly. :D
You answered my unasked question :)

I've often wondered about the PS-8750. Our store never sold it so I never had the change to play with nor listen to one. And I've always been intrigued by the arm on the PS-8750: It looks like it has more mass than the arm on the PS-X7, but looks can also be deceiving. The PS-X7 arm just has plain jane metal bearings and the PS-8750 has those fancy sapphire bearings, and with a carbon fibre arm tube on a PS-8750, there really might not be that much difference in the mass of the two arms.

Please keep us posted on your findings. :cool:

axel
02-23-2006, 02:08 PM
Glenn,
I'm sure now you will NEED this: http://cgi.ebay.de/Aussergewoehnliche-Wanduhr-SONY-PS-8750-Plattenteller_W0QQitemZ7592334343QQcategoryZ23322Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This should be the crown jewel of your growing collection, for sure.

Unda Maris
02-23-2006, 05:17 PM
Yeah thatīs a crown jewel of every collection !

We saw the following on eBay Germany:

1. a SX-1250 lovely modified into a power amplifier
2. a TA-E86B painted in glossy white with nice engraved brass labels
3. a PS-8750 platter as a clock

With such innovative ideas my home country will come back to the top ! :thmbsp:

I am taken aback .... :headscrat

Yamaha B-2
02-23-2006, 05:23 PM
Glenn,
I'm sure now you will NEED this: http://cgi.ebay.de/Aussergewoehnliche-Wanduhr-SONY-PS-8750-Plattenteller_W0QQitemZ7592334343QQcategoryZ23322Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This should be the crown jewel of your growing collection, for sure.No question!! Not only do I need one, everybody does! :D

What a waste of a lovely TT. Hopefully, it was made from Jon S.'s unfortunate PS-8750.

Unda Maris
02-23-2006, 05:41 PM
No Linn fan should get hold of that trophy ! :no:

Shouldnīt we buy it in order to get it away from the "market" and
bury it the garden ?

Vinyl Rules!
02-23-2006, 05:41 PM
Yeah thatīs a crown jewel of every collection !

We saw the following on eBay Germany:

1. a SX-1250 lovely modified into a power amplifier
2. a TA-E86B painted in glossy white with nice engraved brass labels
3. a PS-8750 platter as a clock

With such innovative ideas my home country will come back to the top ! :thmbsp:

I am taken aback .... :headscrat
Germany has absolutely nothing to be ashamed of nor apologize for. :yes:

You can "thank" the USA for the hula hoop and the pet rock, and other things we're probably too ashamed to admit to. And Robert Fulton of FMI "invented" audiophile speaker cable and I also think we were also the innovators of "magic stones" you could place on your equipment to make it sound better :)

But hey, we DID invent the topless bathing suit and erectile dysfunction medications (wonder if there's any relationship here?): Long after you had nude beaches in Germany since the 1920's. :butt1:

Yamaha B-2
02-23-2006, 06:20 PM
Mirko - I can't read the listing (I'm monolinguistic). Will he ship to the U.S.?

axel
02-23-2006, 06:34 PM
apparently not.
wanna get ahold of a spare platter and its oh so precious magnetic rim?

Yamaha B-2
02-23-2006, 06:38 PM
No....I want that beautiful clock. Can you get it for me?

Charivari
02-23-2006, 09:12 PM
apparently not.
wanna get ahold of a spare platter and its oh so precious magnetic rim?
Maybe that's how this platter became a clock, the magnetic coating was damaged? Perhaps the table owners found a spare to revive their table and made this 'un a Beatles tribute.

Wonder what they made the rest of the table into? I think the arm could be made into a nice pen.

- JP

Yamaha B-2
02-24-2006, 10:20 PM
Started piddling with the PS-8750 again this evening. Played around with the arm location to see if it would do anything about the auto operation. No change. Still noise in the output. Don't see how the auto-mechanism works just by looking at it casually. Pretty damn complex under there. So, worse has come to worse and I'm going to have to read the SM. :D I know...I know...not very manly. But, gotta do it.

The base is definitely plywood rather than MDF. Not sure why. Not nearly as dense as MDF, but certainly stronger in every dimension. Just a touch of corrosion underneath, so will do the Dexoit thing on the next attempt. Pull all the connections and shoot them, etc. May be as simple as that. Also, notice that the 1A fuse is soldered into place. Not seen that before.

Mirko - I turned the worm-gear drive and it turns freely, as does the big gear, etc. I turned the small motor that drives the tonearm movement by hand and it is very stiff. Am wondering if my motor might be bad. Do you recall how much force was necessary to spin the TA motor on yours? My guess is that this will be a pretty difficult motor to find, if it is bad.

Guess I'll pour a Guinness and start reading the SM. Might as well go in somewhat educated next time.

axel
02-25-2006, 05:37 AM
Thanks for the images Glenn!

I had never seen the base of the 8750 and always assumed it was like that of the TTS-8000's TB-1000 or 2000 bases - SBMC on top and a thick slab of something lighter than but looking like MDF on the bottom...

What's the serial number I see stamped inside the base?

Yamaha B-2
02-25-2006, 07:38 AM
Not sure if the base is covered in some ultra-thin layer of vinyl or melamine or if painted. The tags on this machine, one on the back of the base and the other in post #49, both feel off. Believe this was due to the moisture I alluded to in my previous post. When finished, I'll put them both back on once everything is running well.

One problem with this TT is the lack of access to the insides without turning it on its back. Then, of course, one can't reach the controls, the platter must be removed and the TA is not really in the optimum position to run correctly and be set. The neon bulb and CdS sensor for the automatic features of the TA movement have adjustments, as does most everything on this TT, so will start playing with them shortly. Have removed the base and letting it 'dry', in the event any moisture is left in there. Next step is some Deoxit.

Serial Number is 800579.

Yamaha B-2
03-02-2006, 08:11 PM
Had some more time to play with the PS-8750. Results are:
- Doesn't lock in when the Xtal Lock position is selected. Runs slow and hunts. Locks-in perfectly in the standard position.
- Auto-function motor does not operate. Hopefully, this is something electronic and not the motor.
- Sound is fine once the ground is properly connected.

Giving serious thought to removing the electronics from the base of the unit and building a separate PS/controls enclosure. Will be simple enough to do and use of a couple of Amphenol connectors should make the interface at either end bullet-proof. Think I will also remove the arm to preclude any chance I'll f-it up in my work. Will be a fairly long-term process as I have a few other items on the 'must do' agenda, first.

axel
03-31-2006, 07:30 AM
... just found this full-size nudie of a japanese PS-8750...

junkaudio
03-31-2006, 07:43 AM
very nice tt .gotta buy one :banana:

Yamaha B-2
03-31-2006, 10:54 AM
Axel - check post #56 in this thread. Thought that looked awfully familiar (and not just because I have one :D ).

axel
03-31-2006, 11:34 AM
oh, well - now we know japanese models have the fuse to the left and european models to the right :)

EchoWars
08-15-2006, 09:22 PM
Had some more time to play with the PS-8750. Results are:
- Doesn't lock in when the Xtal Lock position is selected. Runs slow and hunts. Locks-in perfectly in the standard position.
- Auto-function motor does not operate. Hopefully, this is something electronic and not the motor.
- Sound is fine once the ground is properly connected.

Giving serious thought to removing the electronics from the base of the unit and building a separate PS/controls enclosure. Will be simple enough to do and use of a couple of Amphenol connectors should make the interface at either end bullet-proof. Think I will also remove the arm to preclude any chance I'll f-it up in my work. Will be a fairly long-term process as I have a few other items on the 'must do' agenda, first.For some bloody reason, this unit has gotten dumped on me to sort out. :scratch2:

Unda Maris's observation of dried caps is spot-on. The 10ĩf 350V cap for the strobe light was toast, and allowing tons of AC to invade the logic (and the lamp would go 'bright-dim-bright-dim :))...I had a 22ĩf 450V cap laying around and that fixed that. But, not only that, the 5V supply was also the victim of bad caps, so the servo amp board was recapped as well.

At first, once the recapping was done, the quartz locked speed was dead-on at 33.3, but miles off at 45. Started fooling around, and then lost both the 33.3 and 45 lock. Fooled around some more and the 33.3 came back. WTF?

Freeze spray baby! :thmbsp: Shot a few IC's, and both the 33.3 and 45 came back until the IC's warmed back up. I suspect that the excessive ripple from the dried-up caps has damaged the digital IC's, so not only am I going to replace the ones that I found are intermittent, I'm going to replace all of them.

Designation Old Number New Number Description
IC102~106 M53200P 74HCT00 Quad 2-Input NAND Gate
IC107 M53210P 74HCT10 Triple 3-Input NAND Gate
IC108 M53220P 74HCT20 Dual Quad-Input NAND Gate
No more Japanese logic IC's, this is getting new Texas Instruments devices, and gold sockets. :yes:

IC101 is a strange one, a MSM5576 oscillator/divider chip. I'd replace it too if I knew what would work, but hopefully it will remain working as intended.

Dunno what's up with the auto functions. Hopefully it's just the belt, but until the IC's are replaced and the speed is working it's a waste of time to fool with it.

Yamaha B-2
08-16-2006, 12:28 AM
EW - All right!! :thmbsp: While you are waiting for ICs can you go ahead and recap the rest of the system? Since none of this is in any audio circuit, BGs are not necessary (as if you don't know that). I'll give you a call Thursday to confirm my arrival on Saturday. 2pm is looking good.

Unda Maris
08-16-2006, 06:02 PM
EW, B-2

as you might know my PS-8750 has the same problems.

I also changed several Logic ICs, but the problem did come back.

I still think it has something to do with the manually soldered trough hole vias.
Some of them had a significant resitance over them, so I resoldered a few.
The problems went away and came back ...

My ST-A7 tuner has also this strange type of double sided boards and it has comparable problems ...

This is a really strange circuitry. The frequency dividers are far away from any textbook solution, looks more like a magic "voodoo" solution, which works from time to time or if the gods have mercy.

Btw. if you use HC/HCT types it might not work or the chips might get damaged. If possible you should use original (Texas) TTL chips.

EchoWars
08-16-2006, 06:59 PM
Btw. if you use HC/HCT types it might not work or the chips might get damaged. If possible you should use original (Texas) TTL chips.Wonder why you'd think that...the HC and HCL chips use the same supplies as the original (+5V) and recognize the same logic levels. The differences are in the internal construction of the device, of which we don't really care as long as the job gets done.

Unda Maris
08-17-2006, 05:50 AM
I donīt know if my comment is really correct, but these trick circuits use
something like capacitor coupled digital signals, which might exceed the supply rails (+5V and GND).

Doing this, CMOS types react different than TTL or LS TTL gates.

But because I donīt have the schematics ready, I might be wrong ...

EchoWars
08-17-2006, 07:31 AM
Cap-coupled or not, with a 5V supply that's your ceiling. Q101 and Q102 are interfaced to the logic IC's to provide a correction signal and reset signal (respectively), and use the same 5V supply as the logic does.

I plan on completely removing the logic board for the refurbishing, and checking out all the feed-through's you mentioned. Reflowing the solder on them should eliminate any issues. And since the new logic IC's will be socketed, they'll be a breeze to replace if there's any trouble (which I doubt).

Unda Maris
08-17-2006, 10:11 AM
This sounds like a very clean solution !

EchoWars
08-18-2006, 03:32 AM
Well, it turns out that the 74HCT00-series is not suitable. They work for about 10 seconds, and then go into uncontrollable oscillation. I don't know if it's a layout issue, or improper bypassing, or what, but basically they are too unstable.

What is needed is original 7400-series devices. I found a few places on the web, as well as Consolidated Electronics that apparently has some of the original Mitsubishi chips.

For now, I cleaned up the leads of the original chips and stuck them in the sockets. Same thing...no speed control.

BUT...the speed would lock in every time I freeze-sprayed a section of the PC board. So with soldering iron in hand, I re-flowed the solder on all the pass-through's in that quadrant of the board (about 10 or 12 of them). Speed locks fine now, but I'm wary of the original logic IC's still.

The best devices for the job would be TI-series 7400 chips - SN7400, SN7410, and SN7420. Not easy to find...

Oh...and the auto-return is fixed. :yes:

Yamaha B-2
08-18-2006, 09:34 AM
To say that I am psych'd is a gross understatement! :thmbsp: See you tomorrow.

EchoWars
08-18-2006, 03:41 PM
Well, the speed has decided to flip out again. Worked for 3 or 4 hours last night, and today it has decided that it don't wanna go.

Hopefully the full chip replacement will take care of it. In the meantime, I'll try to resolder a few more passthroughs.

Yamaha B-2
08-22-2006, 12:15 PM
Well, obviously, at least to me, whatever else you did was your typical magic and all is working well for the second day in a row. I've ordered the easy-to-find ICs (~$10 for the set) and put out a search on the unobtanium oscillator IC (wish me luck).

Next step is to decide exactly what I want to do for the base. Think I'll make a 2" high spacer to replace the existing base and then have a piece of granite cut and polished that is about 2" wider and deeper than the existing plinth. Will sandwich the wood (cherry?) between the two, drill the corners of the granite for spikes and then be ready to go. Let's see. This looks like indoor project number 5, so should get to this by next spring, if I'm lucky.

EchoWars
08-22-2006, 04:57 PM
Cool.

Spent a lot of time on that...I'd like to think is was not for naught.

Yamaha B-2
10-17-2006, 10:00 PM
OK. Time to post a pic of the finished product. Here she is all dolled up with the Ortofon Kontrapunkt b. Compared to the Yamaha PF-1000 I would say the sound has more "presence". That is, is just more "live" sounding. Of course, this is after one LP. Even if it is Miles "Kind of Blue" in a 200g pressing. Red wire is the temporary ground that took care of the minor hum I was getting. Using Cardas wires between the K-b and the headshell and a set of Wasatch 105U ICs. Plan to try a set of silver ICs at some point.
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n301/gpdavis2/2.jpg

Vinyl Rules!
10-17-2006, 10:50 PM
OK. Time to post a pic of the finished product. Here she is all dolled up with the Ortofon Kontrapunkt b. Compared to the Yamaha PF-1000 I would say the sound has more "presence". That is, is just more "live" sounding. Of course, this is after one LP. Even if it is Miles "Kind of Blue" in a 200g pressing. Red wire is the temporary ground that took care of the minor hum I was getting. Using Cardas wires between the K-b and the headshell and a set of Wasatch 105U ICs. Plan to try a set of silver ICs at some point.

So how does the Sony PS-8750 compare to your mint Sony PS-X7 TT? :cool:

theophile
10-18-2006, 04:58 AM
Direct drive Turntables.I love 'em.I've heard good belt drives,but I love the sound of direct drive.
Seems that a few high-end manufacturers do also,by releasing new high-end Direct-drives. :yes:

EchoWars
10-18-2006, 05:22 AM
Pictures don't do that Sony justice. It is an awesome turntable. I'd love to find one.

Yamaha B-2
10-18-2006, 05:58 AM
So how does the Sony PS-8750 compare to your mint Sony PS-X7 TT? :cool:Been a while since I've had the PS-X7. Did sell it to a good friend, so see it whenever I'm over there. Tough to compare due to different cartridges. Similar headshells, so would be easy to interchange and give a listen though. If I do, I'll post what I find (please don't hold your breathe). Just can't say, as they and the systems I listen to each with are just so different.

I tried to buy another PS-X7 on eBay that needed a dustcover, counterweight and headshell just this weekend (wife wants an auto TT for the LR system - bless her little heart :thmbsp: ). And, it was filthy. I bid what I considered a ridiculously high $115. And, was outbid by several folks. :eek: I would say the word is out on the PS-X7.

Unda Maris
10-18-2006, 08:59 AM
I own both, the PS-X7 and PS-8750.
When I recieved the big one, I made a short comparison by interchanging headshells.

With both headshells there was a clear winner:

PS-8750 :music: It is able to transport the music with more ease and definition.

Nevertheless, the PS-X7 is playing really nice with the cheap Empire 2000II MM pickup. Itīs miles ahead of everything I owned before and for sure it outperforms everything in itīs price range.

The PS-X7 sells regularily for about 200 EUR ($250) on German eBay.

Yamaha B-2
11-14-2006, 08:45 PM
Thought I would mention that, based on the statements (which I consider silly and inaudible) in another thread that DD TTs can't sound as good as BD because the PLL makes them constantly 'hunt' for the correct speed (maybe so, but that hunting is going on at a speed so far above the audible range as to be a non-issue) that I turned off the PLL mode on the PS-8750. Sucker slowed down just a fuzz. Turned the speed control know back up just a bit to stop the movement of the strobe marks and it is rock steady. PLL/no-PLL.....same difference on the PS-8750. Again, my thanks to EW for his excellent work in fixing. Gets new silver/copper wires in another week, or so.

Tim5
10-30-2012, 06:33 PM
The best devices for the job would be TI-series 7400 chips - SN7400, SN7410, and SN7420. Not easy to find...

M53220P 7420 14P DIP, M53200P 7400 14P DIP, and MSM5576 14P DIP SN? Consolidated Electronics has them :banana:

Pio1980
10-30-2012, 06:50 PM
Another zombie thread rises from the dead (just in time for U-no-whut)!!
Speaking of re-vivication, there is another thread here somewhere on bringing AC drive Sony TTs back from the grave concerning speed drift and the PS..