View Full Version : Old console stereos - worth anything?

stormy
09-09-2005, 04:16 PM
I see quite a few of these at estate sales - some are very interesting. But they do not sell well for obvious reasons - age, repairs, transportability. The lady said they donate a lot of them. But they have a great unique vintage look and some unique electronics and turntables.

Is there any value in these older consoles. The one I saw today had a Hewlette Packard radio and a Garrard TT with a good needle. The speakers were actually hidden behind a sliding door on either end. Last week the console had orange speaker cloth (retro cool) and Philco electronics.

Opinions? Just wondering...

Sansui Louie
09-09-2005, 04:23 PM
I have a soft spot for certain ones... tube models especially.

Micropassatman
09-09-2005, 04:26 PM
I am currently looking for one with a cherry or mahogany finish. It is the only way my wife will approve the aquisition. If you see any nice pieces, post a pic on here for all to see.

Stanton681EEES
09-09-2005, 06:27 PM
There is one right now two doors down from me and i should go look at it but i feel kind of funny as we live on a busy street maybe when it gets to say 8 o'clock i might walk down and give it a look over.

glen65
09-09-2005, 06:37 PM
The German made units are nice too.
I did a rebuild on a Grundig majestic SO series some time back.
It had both phono and reel to reel. The unit ran a
seperate power amp using 6BQ5 outputs.
Very cool to look at.

GibsonLesPaul
09-09-2005, 08:02 PM
The German made units are nice too.
I did a rebuild on a Grundig majestic SO series some time back.
It had both phono and reel to reel. The unit ran a
seperate power amp using 6BQ5 outputs.
Very cool to look at.

I understand that it is very difficult to find parts to repair these. Is that true?

Andyman
09-09-2005, 08:59 PM
I look for older tube units, especially Fisher or Telefunkens. Magnavox units have yielded some nice amps featured here in AK too.
But the solid state units are just too big and not interesting enough for me so I let them pass.

Chad Hauris
09-09-2005, 09:05 PM
We have done several Grundigs and Telefunkens, just replaced the caps and diodes and they worked great. Some of the tubes in these radios seem to only be used in European products though so they may be difficult to find Performance is verygood, among the best of console stereos.

I have seen both good and cheap console stereos...Old Philcos like from the 40's and 50's (mono of course) are pretty good but later Philcos seem to be kind of crummy.

Magnavox, RCA and Motorola tube type consoles always seem to be of good quality, usually using 6BQ5 or 6V6 outputs.

Zenith usually has good radio performance but don't tend to have quite as good of sound quality as the others. The Zenith Allegro solid state consoles of the 70's do have good power and bass.

Some Airline and Coronado consoles use 7868 outputs and seem to have good sound.

There are some cheaper ones like Olympic and Arvin which just use a 50C5 output like a table radio and are pretty puny on sound.

diddlybopper
09-09-2005, 09:39 PM
I'd picked up a vintage 1954 Voice Of Music Fidelis Console in a gorgeous mahogany finish awhile back.I know nothing of values of this type of electronics but it's condition ws almost as new and complete w/manual and 45rpm spindle,unfortunately it won't spin,powers up but thats all.Saw a blonde one at a collectors go for $450.!!Tube type puts out 5watts per side,manual says it has 500% reserve.
Check this out for more info...
http://thevoiceofmusic.com/

Wornears
09-09-2005, 11:41 PM
This is like our family console bought in '61/'62 and now stored at my brother's house (click on the SO 280 button in the link). It has/had great sound, but I shudder to think of replacing some of the tubes. Great wood though. TT still worked a few years ago (sounds like an ePrey ad...)

http://pjeantaud.free.fr/stereo_console/grundig/index.html

gkarelitsky
09-10-2005, 12:11 AM
SS, though
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/ele/96564689.html

colortrakker
09-10-2005, 12:31 AM
Nice one, G. Even got a reel in it! One thrift near me always has at least one, but sometimes as many as five, consoles waiting for love. Each one costs $15 and yes, they're excellent furniture if nothing else. Some even work.

CharlieBee
09-10-2005, 11:37 PM
Question is will the wife let one one old things in the House? I will not even ask.

Charlie

fotno
09-11-2005, 07:41 AM
These things have a WAF of negative 4.5 - No way is my wife letting that thing into our house! I have a hard time gettin' permission to bring in a SS receiver.

SkyJumper
09-11-2005, 12:35 PM
Question is will the wife let one one old things in the House? I will not even ask.

Charlie

Now that is the question. :D

gyusher
09-11-2005, 12:54 PM
In the past couple weeks I have seen several;
Zenith (60"?)
Airline (Wards?)(tube)
Zenith (96")
Curtis Mathis (about 60 or 72")

Not to mention old speakers like my Altec Sevilles if I can ever get them here. I have decided on what to look for now. For the past few years it was 850/1050 Pioneer receivers and now I want to see what I can find like big HiFi speakers or console stereos but let us not forget their true name;

Home Entertainment Centers :naughty:

outlawmws
09-11-2005, 01:02 PM
I got one into the house, gutted, being converted to a stereo "rack" and the top will hold the TV, with a wide screen planned for in the future... :thmbsp:

billinkansas
09-11-2005, 02:41 PM
My dad still has a Sylvania console bought new about 1968 or so, tube unit in a very nice walnut cabinet. Has a built in Gerrard table with Pickering cartridge. Also has 2 Sylvania remote speakers as well, all in very good condition. I remember the preamp has a bunch of inputs. Any value to this, or any interested folks? It's sitting unused in Grand Rapids, MI, hasn't been turned on in a few years.

gyusher
09-12-2005, 04:18 AM
My dad still has a Sylvania console bought new about 1968 or so, tube unit in a very nice walnut cabinet. Has a built in Gerrard table with Pickering cartridge. Also has 2 Sylvania remote speakers as well, all in very good condition. I remember the preamp has a bunch of inputs. Any value to this, or any interested folks? It's sitting unused in Grand Rapids, MI, hasn't been turned on in a few years.

Go turn it on and let her run awhile. . . I have an old Zenith table radio (tube) that worked perfect. I let her sit about 6 months then pulled her out the other day and nothing but some pops and clicks where the channels are supposed to be. . .

stormy
09-12-2005, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the replies. I'll keep my eyes open for some of the german makes. I have to admit - that one last weekend was probably worth it. Definitely worth cannibalizing but I don't have the room at the moment. That may change - I think the misses is "hitting the road" so to speak. So maybe I'll go into the retro-console-stereo business. Or, I'll turn our front room into a console stereo museum.
------------------
"I haven't seen my wife in 2 or 3 years - I'm a happily married man"
Duane Allman

qboneus
09-12-2005, 10:33 AM
NO WAF!
Exactly!
I just recently purchased a gorgeous(to me) Motorola Stereophonic High Fidelity tubed console that uses 6v6's .
This baby really rocks!
It's a three channel with a large sub (huh? in the 50's?) in the center,with a set of two ways on each side of the "sub".
Each channel uses a pair of 6v6's, I was lucky enough to find an old TV shop that had 6 NOS 6v6's and with the help of my friend mr variac...... Boy does she sing!!
This is my first real foray into vac tubes and I must say I am impressed.
I can't really find an exact model # to say what model I have though.
I need to get the digital and shoot a couple of shots.

Needless to say my wife doesn't care for it's addition to our home decor, or so she said when she saw it for the first time last week :no:
In my office at work, that's ok though i get sweet tunes to listen to during the day!

I am a tubed console believer!!

Tal

glen65
09-12-2005, 10:41 AM
I understand that it is very difficult to find parts to repair these. Is that true?

Similar rule applies to these as it does with all the other
vintage audio. Most of the electronic components such
as resistors caps and tubes are available. Most of the time
that’s all your looking at as far as replacement goes anyway.
The only time you really run into trouble is when you would
need something more specialized like a transformer , RF coil
or something of that nature. Cosmetic parts would be tough
to obtain also.

glen65
09-12-2005, 11:16 AM
Here ya go. A built in bar. :yes:

This is a prinz.
Stereo Gerät 25506 (well whatever but its cool)

Chad Hauris
09-12-2005, 11:21 AM
Gerat=apparatus or "set"

Gyusher, you may have bad mica capacitors inside the IF cans in your Zenith radio...you can disassemble the cans, remove the mica sheets and trim the contacts to avoid shorts, then use 100 pf silver mica caps attached to the terminals under the IF transformer, just realign and it should work fine.

stormy
09-12-2005, 11:44 AM
Glen65 - that is a "tight" setup - Great idea!

There is probably a lot of good old equipment being tossed in the old consoles.

dr*audio
09-12-2005, 01:25 PM
I don't know if a local store put this together or if Scott made these but I once saw a console with a HH Scott tube receiver in it, and a Dual 1019. Now there's a console worth having.

glen65
09-12-2005, 01:27 PM
Glen65 - that is a "tight" setup - Great idea! .
I ran across it here...
http://pjeantaud.free.fr/stereo_console/prinz/index.html
Not sure if the bar is standard equipment but it sure looks it.

There is probably a lot of good old equipment being tossed in the old consoles.
Many of them are junk. You just need to do a bit of research when your
looking to get one.

glen65
09-12-2005, 01:34 PM
I don't know if a local store put this together or if Scott made these but I once saw a console with a HH Scott tube receiver in it, and a Dual 1019. Now there's a console worth having.

This one isnt tube but they are running a Dual 1211 in it.

dr*audio
09-12-2005, 02:06 PM
This one isnt tube but they are running a Dual 1211 in it.
That is sweet! Is that a Telefunken receiver?

gyusher
09-12-2005, 03:02 PM
Gyusher, you may have bad mica capacitors mica sheets and shorts, use 100 pf silver mica caps attached to the terminals under the IF transformer.

I beg your pardon? ? ?

I love it when you talk dirty. . .LOL

No kidding I know nothing about fixing. . .Not a thing. . .It blows me away that you plug a black cord into the wall and sound comes out. . .

Manitoulin
09-12-2005, 04:25 PM
My wife likes the look of both my Korting (has a Dual R2R and a Dual TT) and the Zenith. Mind you the Korting is over 7 feet long!

The Korting is SS, but has great sound for mid 60's design (Jensen 4 way speakers...)

glen65
09-12-2005, 06:26 PM
That is sweet! Is that a Telefunken receiver?

No its a Grundig Rossini 6.
Here's the rest of it.
http://pjeantaud.free.fr/stereo_console/grundig/rossini6.html

dr*audio
09-13-2005, 08:08 AM
It's really a pleasure to see a beautiful piece of cabinetry that also has good sound! Only 10 Watts, though, that's surprising. I haven't seen any other nice console stereos in Cleveland, just the one HH Scott years ago.

soundmotor
09-13-2005, 11:46 AM
Value of the console depends solely on what it contains. Some of the SE Magnavox & RCA have a reasonable following and the amps have steadily crept up in value. They also sound pretty nice. Same for some of the PP designs.

Many of the Magnavox consoles used Jensen speaker components. The woofers are often the "hot dog" basket, 10" & 12" woofer that is identical to the ones used in Fender guitar amps. They also used the RP-104 horns with green cups. The woofers & horns are usually hidden behind a back panel and it is worth the time to pull it to see what is in there.

Some of the more interesting things I've gotten but very infrequent were a set of Fisher 30A mono EL84 amps in the deep maroon finish, a Fisher stereo EL84 amp without any model number & plain steel chassis, a Scott hybrid with a pair of ECL82 driving an SS output stage. The whole layout was vertical rather than horizontal because of how it was mounted. Just plain weird that one. Lastly, a Grundig stereo PP EL84 amp. I got this one over the summer and the output transformers are larger than a Dynaco ST-70. The amp weighs at least 30 lb. making it the largest amplifier I've ever seen in a typical console. I am restoring it.

Atypical consoles are ones that the owner bought then loaded with his own gear and should not really be thought of in the same way as the all-in-wonder consoles sold by Sear, MonkeyWards, Penneys, etc.

gkarelitsky
09-13-2005, 09:21 PM
http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/ele/97172907.html

Can it be from the 50's?

glen65
09-13-2005, 10:44 PM
http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/ele/97172907.html

Can it be from the 50's?

If it has both stereo FM and phono No.
Stereo records came out 58 or 59 then stereo FM hit
in about 61. So if it has both then its no older than the early 60s.
Now if its just dual speaker mono then maybe. What you really need
is the model number to really know for sure.

piece-it pete
09-14-2005, 01:07 PM
Many of the Magnavox consoles used Jensen speaker components. The woofers are often the "hot dog" basket, 10" & 12" woofer that is identical to the ones used in Fender guitar amps.

Some of the more interesting things I've gotten but very infrequent were a set of Fisher 30A mono EL84 amps in the deep maroon finish...

SM I was lucky enough to find an old "The Fisher" console with the 10" hot dogs and one 30A monoblock running the second channel.

Sold the hot dogs (hot dog!!) and ended up trading the 30A - but I loved the sound of the 30A and if I had a pair would still be using them.

Pete

soundmotor
09-14-2005, 01:13 PM
SM I was lucky enough to find an old "The Fisher" console with the 10" hot dogs and one 30A monoblock running the second channel.

Sold the hot dogs (hot dog!!) and ended up trading the 30A - but I loved the sound of the 30A and if I had a pair would still be using them.

Pete

I had the 30As for a l.....o.....n.....g time. They were really nice "as is" and even better after replacing just the coupling caps. At the time we were buying our next house, a lot if stuff got sold including these. The console you salvaged sounds identical to one that I got a 30A from. It also had a tuner/amp combo with a 30A output stage in the main cabinet with the TT.

schoolboy
09-14-2005, 01:51 PM
I will plead guilty to chopping one - removing the stereo, single ended (one EL84 per channel) amp from one a couple years back. We can't save every cabinet out there! I use the amp a lot!

I would probably do it again too - I just don't have the room (who does). But like many of you, I have a soft spot for these things (a nicely finished cabinet) and maybe some day I'll include one in my setup (I am cleaning up now so I may have room). My dad saved his from around 1960 which was a "custom" piece of furniture to which he added his Telefunken turntable (which he pitched) and home made preamp and amp. He doesn't use it and it's as nice as any I've seen. Come to thing of it, the cabinets would be perfect for the two JBL D123's I have (although one of mine has its own signature series cabinet).

Speaking of JBL Signature Series - these were some sweet old cabinets.

JCFitz
10-09-2005, 02:00 AM
Anyone ever run into the console stereos made by the jukebox maker Seeburg?Instead of a normal record changer they have a mechanism similar to Seeburg jukeboxes except these can play full sized LPs.No commercial jukeboxes ever were made to play full sized LPs.They hold 50 LPs and can play either side with the use of a double needled cartridge just like their jukeboxes.Sure would like to find one.But obviously they didn't sell in the nos. that normal console stereos did.

hakka26
10-09-2005, 04:46 AM
Came across a very interesting unit and am debating a purchase. It is made by Calrad and has one of their receivers with a Garrard TT. Here is the kicker-the speakers are in huge separate cabinets about 23" wide 36" high. They and the cabinet have Chippendale type legs and serpentine tops. Anyone know of these?

hakka26
10-15-2005, 07:21 PM
Alas! Went back to look at the Calrad again. It wasn't a receiver but an FM tube tuner and someone had taken out the amp. I hate to see it go to a thrift but hard to convince family to shoehorn in 7' of stereo that isn't being used. Speakers had 2 way woofer and a separate mid 16ohms all in great condition.

NewWilOrder
10-21-2005, 10:33 PM
Just picked this one up.

The turntable works, the tuner is stuck on one station (needs a tuning string, I believe). Model years 1961-62, 8.5 wpc, external speaker outputs, AUX input.

Not the prettiest model, but some of the best guts at the time. She'll make a nice addition to my addiction!

http://i19.ebayimg.com/01/i/05/23/7f/8a_1.JPG http://i17.ebayimg.com/01/i/05/23/3e/98_1.JPG

http://i9.ebayimg.com/01/i/05/19/0b/d3_1.JPG http://i3.ebayimg.com/04/i/05/29/f7/dc_1.JPG

Aage
10-22-2005, 12:46 AM
Kuba Komet! Need I say more...?

mmmMmm....

theodoric
10-22-2005, 01:10 AM
I just picked up a tubed Grundig yesterday. She's been through a rough time. I'm poaching the electronics, and my buddy is taking the cabinet to put his gear in - he wanted a period-correct console for his postwar home.

NewWilOrder
10-22-2005, 03:41 AM
Kuba Komet! Need I say more...?

mmmMmm....WHOAH!!!!!

*gulp!*

:ntwrthy:

gonzothegreat
10-22-2005, 07:44 AM
Last week a thrift store had an old Penncrest unit. I couldn't tell too much about it other than the vertically mounted receiver and cheap looking TT.

Too bad they tossed it...

gonzothegreat
10-26-2005, 06:23 PM
Saw a cheesy tube console at a local thrift and I had my 'cam handy. They want $100 for it :thumbsdn: