View Full Version : Musical Paradise MP-301 Mk3

Kneedeepinit
09-02-2012, 09:50 PM
the pictures looked so nice and the reviews were so positive that I bought one of the MP 301 MK3 amps. I was a little leery of the low power but I have a set of sensitive speakers so I figured it might work.

6.5 watts is not a lot of power for my musical tastes which is progressive rock and 1st Wave 80-90's alternative. I also listen to modern Christian music but most of it is so horribly recorded that I struggle to listen to it when I am not in a noisy car.

I spoke to the owner in person and he suggested the correct tube set which is the 6L6. The package arrived 2 days later via expedited mail but I was gone to the cabin for the last 4 days. I got home tonight in eager anticipation.

First impression is that the box was a lot heavier than I thought it would be. The unit is not that big but weighs a ton. I have shipped a few things and thought I was pretty careful but these guys are way better. Perfect fitting double box.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z259/kneedeepinit/IMG_9905.jpg

tubes carefully packed

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z259/kneedeepinit/IMG_9906.jpg

and a ton of rigid foam protecting the unit.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z259/kneedeepinit/IMG_9908.jpg

Kneedeepinit
09-02-2012, 10:03 PM
My listening space is 15 x 11 with one wall open to the kitchen and dining room.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z259/kneedeepinit/IMG_9912.jpg

The speakers are Klispch KG4 which have a 94 db rating. I paid $50 for them because the cabinets were pretty rough but they cleaned up nice.

The CD player is a $10 Value Village Sony 5 cd player. I do not mind the sound from those Sony's, much better than some Philips and other more expensive players I owned. Tomorrow, I will be using a Parasound CD player in the big boy room.

The other input was a IPOD. The owner of Musical Paradise must be cringing but my review will be based on the equipment I have, not the equipment I want.

I warmed up the amp for 5 minutes. I will be cleaning up the installation when I decide its final home but tonight, it is shown with a bunch of wires and a $2 power bar from the Dollar Store.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z259/kneedeepinit/IMG_9920.jpg

It sure is pretty with the lights out, but then again, they all are.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z259/kneedeepinit/IMG_9923.jpg

First negative feeling is that I wish it had another light on it. You can tell it is on because of the tubes but I would pay $10 extra for a sexy blue LED power light.

Buddy, Daisy and I settle in for a few songs

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z259/kneedeepinit/IMG_9931.jpg

Kneedeepinit
09-02-2012, 10:22 PM
here is the review. I listened to some Dave Mathews Band, U2's BAD, Radiohead's Sail to the Moon and Tracy Chapmans' Fast Cars.

In its present location, the MK3 is all the amp these Klipsch could ever want. Listening to CD's, it is hard to turn the volume past 9 o'clock for modern mixes, 9:30 is very loud for vintage music. Tomorrow, the amp will be placed in a much larger room with some vintage JBL speakers and I will see how it does there.

On the IPOD, this is the best I have ever heard MP3 sound.

The bass feels heavy but it isn't a bad heavy. It is a very full bodied bass. At lower and medium volumes, these are a joy to listen to. This was the most surprising thing about the listening experience. This amp has replaced a very good 60 watt per channel amp and it sounds like it has more power. I can't explain it but I know what I am hearing.

The mids are very clean. The imaging is perfect, not to sharp, not too laid back. The highs are good but the rest of the spectrum is exceptional. The amp may need to be broken in or this might be a result of the horns. Either way, I could listen to this all day and I am just being picky right now.

This is the first time I really picked up on the subtle drum brushing on Fast Cars or all the layers of Sail to the Moon.

I have bought and sold quite a few pieces of equipment but this is about as close to being a keeper as I can imagine. It is a bargain at the price and I would not feel cheated if I paid $1,000 for it.

intoaudio
09-03-2012, 08:07 AM
I also have a couple of Gary's amps and they both make my monitor audio rx 6's sing. I have a MP 301 MKII and the MP 428 300b. The 300b is in my main system now.

Kneedeepinit
09-03-2012, 09:01 AM
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z259/kneedeepinit/IMG_9945.jpg

I got up early to try the MK3 in a big room. This is a secondary listening room for me because the acoustics and shape are terrible. The room is L shaped with the primary space being 21 feet by 19 feet. The stereo is located on the long wall which is 32 feet in length.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z259/kneedeepinit/IMG_9943.jpg

I can place my speakers for optimal listening but then they have to go back to the wall for normal living.

The speakers are JBL Decade 36 (L36) which are my favorite rock speakers. I have a pair of L26 and they are just as nice. I restored them and am giving them to my youngest daughter. The L36 has a 10" woofer and the highs are designed to be forward. The specs on it are 76 db but that seems crazy low.

The source is a Parasound C/DC 1500 CD player and a Sony PS-T30 turntable c/w an ART DJ phono amp.

The system currently in use is a Yaqin VK 1200 which is a tube preamp c/w an 80 ss amp section.

Kneedeepinit
09-03-2012, 09:15 AM
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z259/kneedeepinit/IMG_9952.jpg

Daisy and I settled in to listen to a few tunes. Using the better CD player, interconnects, and power supply, the amp was even more clear today. I have heard equipment labelled as transparent and I now know what that means.

The JBL are an old fashioned rock speaker and this is a good amp for it. I would be risking hearing loss if I turned the CD volume past 9:30 in the large room. The highs and mids are just perfect, exactly what the speaker designer had in mind when they were built.

Using the turntable, I played Frankie Goes To Hollywood's Welcome to the Pleasuredome. It is a good song to test rock speakers as it has very forward lyrics and a deep bass line. You can't fudge the bass by turning it up too loud or the vocals will destroy your experience. At 10:30 volume, this amp is as loud as I would ever listen to and that would only be for short intervals.

Here is the only flaw I have found. There is a short passage where the song has a bass rumble. It sounds like rolling thunder. The MK3 did not produce it at the level of the Yaqin but it was the same as a Pioneer SA 9100 60 watt amp and a Yamaha Natural Sound 85 watt amp

If I was going to demo the speakers for sale, I would still use this amp over any other i have tried. This amp is staying in the big boy room. I may bring in the Klipsch as they might be a better match for them but it isn't necessary, the JBL prefer these over anything else I have tried.

If you are a Cerwin Vega / Mach 1 guy, this might not be the amp for you. A 100 watt Bryston or Carver is what you need. For the rest of us, this stupid little 6.5 watt amp is a crazy overachiever.

islanddave
09-03-2012, 09:26 AM
Excellent review. Thank you very much. You had chimed in earlier during a post I had regarding this little amp and it's use with l 26's. Seems asthough they would be a good fit. Once again thank you very much!!!

Dave

KenP
09-18-2012, 04:09 PM
I just bought one of these amp (mk2 version) for $200, all I can say is it's the best $200 I've invested in stereo in quite awhile. Looks good and sounds great, plenty of power for my ls3/5a's.

gtube
09-26-2012, 11:51 PM
Just opened this thread again tonight. What a great review with so many pictures and details. I appreciate it. I hope our moderator won't delete this thread. I think he deletes older threads in this section frequently. Instead of deletion, Please move this thread to a proper section.

For Rock music, using Shuguang EL34B on the MP-301 MK3 would sound a lot better, especially the bass and dynamic.

canuckaudiog
10-09-2012, 10:30 PM
I just wanted to add my two cents as I have owned the Musical Paradise MK3 since the day it came out and am pretty familiar with it.

Well, for the first month or so I owned it I used the stock tubes. Honestly, out of the box this is a fantastic sounding little amp. Being my first tube amp as well I figured it was a low cost enough for me to dive in and find out what all the fuss was about. I'm sure glad I did. It's a fabulous sounding little unit, and what is really astonishing is the full range sound of this tube amp. It's full sounding, lovely warm and musical. I really enjoy the tonality and emotional character of it, it's easy to listen to and the amp really disappears. It's transparent in nature. Couple this with Garry's MP-D1 tube DAC and you've got a real winner of a set-up. It's easily the most fidelity you're going to find for under $1000 - you'll be hard pressed to find a better deal, even with vintage gear.

I took the liberty of upgrading the stock tubes. I decided to change the tubes to Genalex KT66's, NOS Philco 6SJ7's, and NOS GE Jan 5670W's for the DAC. What an improvement. The immediate difference I noticed was the sheer amount of detail in the music. Not only did it become a bit warmer, the power increased a little bit and most of all there was far more detail in the music. The one thing I exclaimed about when I first heard this tube amp was just how much detail and richness in the music there was. With these better tubes the richness and detail increased even more. It's really amazing just how great this set-up sounds, and still is under $1000. Well worth the investment!

The other thing I want to mention about this amp is that I am using very unforgiving, inefficient speakers. The IMF RSPM Mk IV's you see in my signature are what are being powered by this little guy. Granted I am in a small room and don't need much volume to get loud, regardless the truth is this little performer really makes these beautiful speakers sing. It goes to show you just how much value is packed into this amp and just how well designed it is. Garry, you've done an incredible job with this product and I especially thank you for taking it upon yourself to make this sort of fidelity affordable and available to consumers like myself. Without it, I wouldn't be sitting here listening to Diana Krall and being put right in front of her, as though she is here in the room.

All in all, if you're thinking you want to give tubes a try and see what the fuss is all about like me, this little tube amp is the perfect way to start out. In fact, it's not only an entry into the tube world it is also a great performer so you aren't just getting an entry level amp. I think you'll be hard pressed to find something better for the same price, it's that good!

davidflas
10-20-2012, 03:32 PM
My MP 301 MK III arrived today! It sounds great right out of the box. I am currently listening to Both Sides Now, 24/96 flac via Songbird, sounds amazing. Once I've spent some time listening I'll post a review with pics..

Update: I've had the integrated for a little over a week now and have been doing a lot of listening. Overall, I like the spacious sound of the integrated, but the high frequencies are very harsh. I am wondering if it is because I am using low sensitivity NHT Classic three speakers. Perhaps tube rolling could fix the harsh highs and make the sound less "thin" I'd like to keep the speakers if possible. I have not changed the location of my system, I just replaced a pair of Emotive UPA-1 amps and an Aragon 18k MK II preamp. I love the sound at low volumes, but it seems I need more power for my speakers. The room is small, 11 feet X 12 feet with a 7 ft ceiling.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

mndiggerco
10-25-2012, 08:26 PM
My MP 301 MK III arrived today. I got both the 6L6 and EL34 tubes with it. The EL34's do produce some hum when I plugged my Grado 60i's into it which I don't hear with the 6L6's.

My biggest test was with what speakers to use with it. CD and SACD played through it via a Sony DVD/SACD player on hand.

Diana Krall Live in Paris, Ramones remaster, Mussorgsky Pictures at an Exhibition SACD, and Clockwork Angels by Rush.

Speakers tested were Polk Audio bookshelf, Wharfedale Dayton 2, Advent Baby II, and JBL 2800. This all in a spare bedroom that is used as my office.

In order of preference:
Advent Baby II - nice rich sound, great with 6L6, more so with the EL34.
Wharfedale Dayton 2 - flat, smooth, but lacking low end.
Polk Audio's - similar to the Wharfedale, but sounded a little more forced.
JBL 2800. I was hoping these would add the bass with the 8" woofer. I guess there is a reason these are $10-20 at thrift. Too shrill and no more bass than the Polk and Wharfedales.

I never had to put the volume past the 9:00 position in that little room for some decent sound from the Advents. All in all I really like what I'm hearing so far. I will need to acquire some larger speakers at some point. I'm debating on either some Klipsch floor standing speakers, or maybe a pair of the Fostex full range.

I need to try some vinyl through it when I have time.

gtube
10-26-2012, 11:20 AM
Thanks for your support and review. If you like a lot of bass from a bookshelf speaker, I recommend B&W 602 S3 which is my favour bookshelf speaker. Fostex requires a very complicated cabinet to produce good bass. That is a lot of work. Old Klipsch does not have deep bass too except for the new reference series.

rushzap79
10-26-2012, 12:48 PM
I’ve had my MP 301 MK3 for over a week now and I am really loving it.

I have it connected to an Oppo BD-80 Blu ray, SACD, DVD-A player for digital playback.

I also have it connected to my Project Phono Box which connects to my Project III Debut turntable.

For speakers, I’m using Bowers & Wilkins 602 S3 bookshelves

The first thing I played was my Beatles Mono CD box. These really sound amazing and I really did not need a subwoofer for low end. The sub is connected to my Yamaha AV 465 receiver.

The new 2012 Zappa remasters (One Size Fits All, Zoot Allures, Apostrophe) sound warm and very detailed with this tube amp.

For vinyl, I decided to play the new Rush album Clockwork Angels. I’ll never listen to the cd again as this tube amp also made this LP sound warm and detailed unlike the cd. Other vinyl auditions that passed the test were:
Beatles UK Blue Box BC-13
Rush – Power Windows
Bob Seger – Night Moves
Aerosmith – Rocks
Led Zeppelin – Presence

I would highly recommend this tube amp! It feels like a steal for $299!
Richard

kevb
10-28-2012, 08:45 PM
OK.....starting to get interested in picking one of these up. Have some PSB headphones and a little system in the bedroom that might respond well to this amp. I'm starting to put aside my nickels and dimes. Also have a pair of Sovtek KT-66's that I can pop in right away as well.

I have many sets of speakers that I can choose from as well....

Any comments to the sonics from the headphone output?

mndiggerco
10-30-2012, 02:08 AM
Any comments to the sonics from the headphone output?

I haven't listened extensively with any headphone. I have plugged in my Pioneer SE-30 and Grado sr60i for brief moments and only with the Diana Krall Live in Paris CD. I'm really into the live sound that CD presents in which it sounds great with or without headphones and this amp. Later this week I'll finally have some more time to spend listening to it.

MWalt
11-10-2012, 07:57 AM
Great review! I have always been curious about the Musical paradise line.

jimfet
11-10-2012, 08:09 AM
Carefull. I noticed a pack of wild dogs.

Gridslayer
11-14-2012, 05:53 PM
Thinking about getting this amp. Just sold off my KEF's which had a 91DB sensitivity (to pay for a new amp). Now I'm using mini Advents, which have an 87db rating, until I can get something more sensitive and a bit more low end. Will this amp work ok with these Mini Advents till I can get something else?

canuckaudiog
11-15-2012, 01:14 PM
Thinking about getting this amp. Just sold off my KEF's which had a 91DB sensitivity (to pay for a new amp). Now I'm using mini Advents, which have an 87db rating, until I can get something more sensitive and a bit more low end. Will this amp work ok with these Mini Advents till I can get something else?

How big is the room?

I ran much less sensitive speakers (82db/85db) with the MP301 and it worked out great.

gtube
11-15-2012, 03:56 PM
87db bookshelf is fine in a small to medium size room. A couple of the MP-301 users have reported getting great results with Advents speakers.

Gridslayer
11-16-2012, 04:07 PM
OK sounds good thanks!

Solitary1
11-21-2012, 12:11 AM
Tia!

jazzwave
11-25-2012, 05:49 AM
I just received MK3 with Shunguang EL34 and 6J8P hook to mains conditioner.
No hum problem, silent...good news.Thanks Gary...

After listening 2 hours, I tried to change mains cable because I hear not good sound of saxophone (not release).
The improvement due to cable change is sound stage wider,sound little bit better.

After listening 12 hours run, I replaced Shunguang EL34 with GLKT66.Now the MK3 singing getting better.Sound more detail and "liquid".

Well, actually I"m looking more warm sound, I need to find which tube can produce warm sound (how about Winged C EL34?) or replace Shunguang 6J8P with other tubes can help my amp produce more warm sound.

Any suggestion are wellcome..

regards
ronni

canuckaudiog
11-25-2012, 02:47 PM
I just received MK3 with Shunguang EL34 and 6J8P hook to mains conditioner.
No hum problem, silent...good news.Thanks Gary...

After listening 2 hours, I tried to change mains cable because I hear not good sound of saxophone (not release).
The improvement due to cable change is sound stage wider,sound little bit better.

After listening 12 hours run, I replaced Shunguang EL34 with GLKT66.Now the MK3 singing getting better.Sound more detail and "liquid".

Well, actually I"m looking more warm sound, I need to find which tube can produce warm sound (how about Winged C EL34?) or replace Shunguang 6J8P with other tubes can help my amp produce more warm sound.

Any suggestion are wellcome..

regards
ronni

I found the 6L6GC tubes to have a really great, warm sound.

mndiggerco
11-26-2012, 10:30 PM
I thought I'd give a followup as I have changed things a little in my setup. I still am liking this amp very much though I don't have any other tube amp experience to compare to. I had been using a Marantz 2265 in my home office space (spare bedroom) and have had a Sansui 2000a (actually sort of similar warmth in sound but in need of recap) set up prior.

The room is small, about 10x13.

I have upgraded tubes to two GL KT66's and found two NOS 6sj7wgt to use. The 6sj7's I did a few days after the KT66's and the bass seemed punchier. I'd have to swap tubes again to verify. (But I don't wanna)
I had switched from using Advent Baby II speakers to a pair of KEF Q50's I found at thrift which also sounded pretty nice at the time. I found a pair of Klipsch KM4's (KG 3.5's) for an unbeatable price and I think have settled in for now on speakers. I am running with a cheapie (thrift too) Cerwin Vega powered sub until I upgrade that too.
Denon DVD/SACD/CD for digital playback
Turntable with Denon DL-110 cart. Yaqin phono pre with some old 12ax7's that were pulled from an old 50's or 60's Capehart 'record player' unit.
I have been listening to many types of music through it and I am not tired of listening to this thing yet.
I Still have the Marantz on the shelf along with my $5 Pioneer SX-780 and I did plug those in Friday for a quick compare. I think those will just sit and make the stand look pretty for now.

I know this isn't much of a "review", but this amp has all the power and more I need for this room. Along with the powered sub I have just the right amount of bass added that wouldn't be there without it.

I've tried listening with just headphones, but the sound is a bit too lean for my liking. If I do, I prefer my old Pioneer SE-30's to my Grado SR60i or Pioneer SE-205. For me, not really a headphone amp. Or it may just need a different tube combo than what I'm running. Mars the Bringer of War from Holst "The Planets" (Charles Dutoit, Montreal Symphony Orch. vinyl) lacks the punch with headphones, but is very good through speakers, and can rearrange furniture with the sub added.

Opinions may and will vary on what is a great setup, or how it should be done, etc. Overall I am extremely happy with my purchase of this amp for the setup I am using in the location I'm using it.

I had been planning on the HSU Research bookshelf and Sub combo, but the Klipsch were at the right price.
The Beatles, Rush, Diana Krall, various classical all are sounding pretty sweet even though my wife gave me an odd look and shook her head when "Yellow Submarine" was playing.

The power tubes are easy to find and experiment with in rolling different ones. The Pre tubes are harder to come by for rolling. I'm guessing that is to keep costs down versus designing it to use something like 12ax7's or (?).

Hope some of you can glean something from my long winded observation.
Nutshell: I love listening to this, or through this, more than any other amp I have. Just not so much through headphones. Your ears may vary.

gtube
11-27-2012, 01:05 PM
Hi Ronni,
KT66 and 6L6GC usually have a bit warmer sounding than EL34 with the MP-301 MK3. To add more smoothness and warmness, get RCA 6SJ7 to replace Shuguang 6J8P.

gtube
11-27-2012, 01:13 PM
They are plenty of NOS RCA 6SJ7 on eBay with affordable prices. According to my experience, this pentode tube sounds better than a lot of current production 12AX7.

Cables change the sound dramatically. Usually, expensive cables provide better details, but in a lot of cases, thinner and brighter sounding. If you like warmer and thicker sound, use regular pure copper cables, including power, interconnect and speaker cables.

I'm guessing that is to keep costs down versus designing it to use something like 12ax7's or (?).

mndiggerco
11-27-2012, 03:19 PM
Thanks for the input on tube selection as to your choice in design. I was merely curious.

I got the Jan Philips 6sj7wgt tubes at a price that even eBay couldn't match. 3 glass tubes and 2 Jan Philips 6sj7 metal for a couple of bucks.

gtube
12-11-2012, 02:44 PM
SkyLab's Reviews on the MP-301 MK3 and MP-D1.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/musical-paradise-mp-301-mk-3-vacuum-tube-integratedheadphone-amplifier-and-mp-d1-vacuum-tube

Thinker
01-12-2013, 03:01 AM
does the MP-301 MK3 require matched tubes? or since it's auto biasing can you use non-matched tubes?

Skylab
01-12-2013, 09:15 AM
I used a pair of tubes that were "matched" only on my basic emissions tester, and they worked well.

Thinker
01-12-2013, 10:00 PM
I've bought a couple sets of 6SJ7's but there's so many different kinds of power tubes for this amp it makes my head spin :P I was wondering if I should try 6550 since I've read good reviews about them having a very large sound stage but, I haven't heard any reviews about people using them with the MP-301 MK3. So what's best for this amp? 6L6, EL34, KT88, 6550? and I read about the older 6L6's not being able to handle as much power as the later 6L6's so should those be excluded? Thoughts?

juno
01-13-2013, 07:40 AM
Don't forget the KT66!

Skylab
01-13-2013, 09:14 AM
In my review of the MP-301 mk3 I used primarily GE 6550's. I feel this is a very good sounding tube.

Thinker
01-13-2013, 11:10 PM
I was looking at the 6550's on epay and the cheapest I can find is sovtek 6550WE for $50 are they worth it?

Skylab
01-14-2013, 07:49 AM
Never new them so I can't say. The 6550 does tend to be an expensive tube, but so does the EL-34.

Thinker
01-14-2013, 12:38 PM
The EL34's by JJ, which I've had in the past, are $28 on epay with free shipping but, I was told that the EL34 lacks some of the lower end compared to 6550's

Thinker
01-15-2013, 12:14 AM
has anyone compared the two (el34 vs. 6550) and had the same result? weaker bass on the el34?

Thinker
01-17-2013, 02:15 PM
Any one tried the JJ EL34L's they claim to have a better lower end than most EL34's

juno
01-17-2013, 04:38 PM
Relax and enjoy your amp. I do not think u are going to notice night and day differences. Enjoy it. If you want to try some new tubes, order them and live with them for awhile. You have a great amp there. Enjoy the music! If you find the perfect set of tubes, let us know!but above all, I'll say it again...Enjoy it!

Thinker
01-18-2013, 01:37 AM
@Juno Picking up on the fact that I can get a little OCD :D you're right I do tend to get over excited :P I'm just thinking about my experience with a yaqin MC 10L I had the Chinese tubes were OK but with Russian 6n1p-ev's and JJ el34's it sounded much better. I'm just anxious and excited about the new amp :P

juno
01-18-2013, 10:33 PM
I headed down the same road, my friend. ;-) decided I would rather enjoy it than spend a fortune on tubes! It can get overwhelming, but in the end, if you have good tubes to start with, you will find differences of nuance, not el34 changed my whole system! Also...if the amp sucks, a tube change won't help lol. I like the kt66

juno
01-18-2013, 10:36 PM
And I do very much like the amp in question. It's a great starting point.....or ending, as one sees fit.

Thinker
01-24-2013, 10:41 AM
It arrived a little while ago, and I haven't got a ton of listening in yet, it does have a very nice bottom end. I do think that my little Motorola with the EL84's had better defined mids, though the JAN 6SJ7Y GE's brought them into focus a little better but, I think I'm going to get a pair of EL34's and see if that helps any, and I might just need to break it in more too.

I was surprised to pick it up and feel the weight of it and the metal chassis seems very substantial. I like the fact that there's a headphone jack and that you have two inputs. Well I'm going to go back to listening :D

cogitech
01-24-2013, 12:55 PM
For those of you who are attracted to this amp, but have higher power requirements due to less efficient speakers, you can currently get the 25 wpc Psvane TS-66 (4x EL34, push-pull) for $400 including shipping from Grant Fidelity. Regular price is $750. It is a gorgeous, 30-some pounds of incredible-sounding amp, for an incredible price. Highly recommended. (I just bought the Shuguang version, which is now sold out).

This is not to detract from the MP-301. I considered buying one and I am sure it sounds fantastic. But for $100 more, the Shuguang/Psvane is a heck of a lot more amp.

gtube
02-01-2013, 06:33 PM
Have not been here for a while. Let me give you some hints on tube rolling for the MP-301 MK3.

Gerneral speakering, 6L6, 5881 and KT66 have silimar sound. The mid is a bit thicker and warmer.
The EL34 has better clarity, bass response, and dynamic.

I would suggest the following tubes for upgrade.
Reissue Gold Lion KT66
NOS RCA, Raytheon, Sylvania 6L6G, 6L6GC, 6L6GB
NOS Mullard xf2 EL34
Winged-C EL34

RCA 6SJ7 Preamp tubes.

It arrived a little while ago, and I haven't got a ton of listening in yet, it does have a very nice bottom end. I do think that my little Motorola with the EL84's had better defined mids, though the JAN 6SJ7Y GE's brought them into focus a little better but, I think I'm going to get a pair of EL34's and see if that helps any, and I might just need to break it in more too.

I was surprised to pick it up and feel the weight of it and the metal chassis seems very substantial. I like the fact that there's a headphone jack and that you have two inputs. Well I'm going to go back to listening :D

gtube
02-02-2013, 04:24 PM
If you compare the components inside between the MP-301 MK3 and the TS-66, you would notice big differences in the component grade and quality. The TS-66 doesn't even mention the components' grade in their specs sheet. The price could be dropped from $750 to $400 tells the truth. Anyway, everyone has their own choice. Do more research and be smart!

For those of you who are attracted to this amp, but have higher power requirements due to less efficient speakers, you can currently get the 25 wpc Psvane TS-66 (4x EL34, push-pull) for $400 including shipping from Grant Fidelity. Regular price is $750. It is a gorgeous, 30-some pounds of incredible-sounding amp, for an incredible price. Highly recommended. (I just bought the Shuguang version, which is now sold out).

This is not to detract from the MP-301. I considered buying one and I am sure it sounds fantastic. But for $100 more, the Shuguang/Psvane is a heck of a lot more amp.

audio0412
02-11-2013, 09:37 PM
i just bought this amp, i noticed that there is no 4 or 8 OHM speaker connector. There is only one set of connector for speakers. Does it matter if you have 4 or 8 ohm speaker?

IM NEW TO THE SINGLE ENDED TUBE..IF I REALLY LIKE THIS I MIGHT LET MY YAQIN MC10-L GO....hint!!

thanks,

Thinker
02-13-2013, 05:45 PM
I bought some JJ EL34's and the Mid range has improved a lot! I'm going to do more listening before coming to any conclusions.

cogitech
02-14-2013, 02:21 PM
If you compare the components inside between the MP-301 MK3 and the TS-66, you would notice big differences in the component grade and quality. The TS-66 doesn't even mention the components' grade in their specs sheet. The price could be dropped from $750 to $400 tells the truth. Anyway, everyone has their own choice. Do more research and be smart!

I sense a bit of Edmonton-Calgary rivalry here. :) (I used to be an Edmontonian myself).

Anyway, I am overjoyed with my decision, as I am sure owners of the MP-301 are. I don't think anyone can go wrong buying any of these amps.

BTW, the price was dropped to liquidate all the amps, because Mr. Grant got cancer and he was ordered by his doctor not to lift all the heavy stuff, not because the amps are low quality.

Thinker
02-19-2013, 04:42 PM
Well after more listening and switching back and forth to my other amp, I've noticed how much bass I've lost with the EL34's :P anyone tried the EL34L's? supposedly they have the mids of an EL34 but the bass of a 6L6 GC. Thoughts?

gtube
02-19-2013, 06:02 PM
Well after more listening and switching back and forth to my other amp, I've noticed how much bass I've lost with the EL34's :P anyone tried the EL34L's? supposedly they have the mids of an EL34 but the bass of a 6L6 GC. Thoughts?

It should be the JJ EL34 issue. The Shuguang EL34B has lots of bass. The bass is even better than the 6L6GC.

gtube
02-19-2013, 06:04 PM
i just bought this amp, i noticed that there is no 4 or 8 OHM speaker connector. There is only one set of connector for speakers. Does it matter if you have 4 or 8 ohm speaker?

IM NEW TO THE SINGLE ENDED TUBE..IF I REALLY LIKE THIS I MIGHT LET MY YAQIN MC10-L GO....hint!!

thanks,

Doesn't matter. It supports 4 to 8ohms speakers.

sebrof
02-19-2013, 06:14 PM
The price could be dropped from $750 to $400 tells the truth. Anyway, everyone has their own choice. Do more research and be smart!
Very uncool from a vendor commenting on another's product.
Very, very uncool.

gtube
02-20-2013, 01:20 PM
I knew the bad news Mr. Grant got cancer. I joined the Edmonton Black Hat Desperaudios group donation to raise some fund for Mr. Grant. I hope his health is getting better now after treatment.

"Very uncool?"
I just want to tell the objective differences according to the internal pictures and specs. No offence, no subjective sound quality here. For example, the TS66 uses Chinese resistors. The MP-301 MK3 uses US made military grade resistors. MP-301 MK3 uses high grade M6/Z11 EI core transformers. TS66 does not mention this at all. Most of Chinese import amps use low grade 0.5mm thick white or black core. Users have the right to know. I just want users do more research and learn. Sound quality is subject. The TS66 may sound better than the MP-301. I am not the judge here. Users' ears will tell us.

audio0412
02-20-2013, 02:09 PM
Just got my MP301 MK3 yesterday. I had the RCA pre's, man! this thing is no slouch!!!..it took out my Yaqin MC-10L out of the rotation. Now its a backup!!..I should've bought this instead of the Yaqin!!..something about this Single Ended tube amps, i just cant get enought of!..the sound of my vinyls are MUSIC TO MY EARS!!!!

SOUNDSTAGE IS VERY NICE, I ordered a matched Genalex KT66 that came the same day, but i will wait until the 6L6GC's have some hours on them...they sound so sweet btw!!!..

GOOD JOB MP!!!:thmbsp::thmbsp:

-Cris

sebrof
02-21-2013, 07:33 AM
"Very uncool?"
I just want to tell the objective differences according to the internal pictures and specs.

That's not what I quoted and I would not have mentioned it if you had done that.
You said his amp is overpriced and that's what I quoted.
And that is very uncool.

juno
02-21-2013, 11:11 AM
Apparently, perhaps it is/was overpriced. I don't see how factual demonstration of better parts equals "uncool" Maybe it had a huge markup. Apparently it did. Besides, who is in the "cool" contest these days? That's a pretty subjective term anyway....LOL.

audio0412
02-21-2013, 12:00 PM
all i can say WOW!!!:banana::banana:..I put this GLKT66 last night and the amp sounds way better..wider soundstage!!..The 6L6GC is very good, but this tube is better plus it looks cool!!!!!

I think this is the best tube set up , at least so far for me...Im sorry Yaqin MC10L, your a backup now..

audio0412
03-01-2013, 03:45 PM
i have a question. can this amp be bridged as a monoblock???? i dont know if it was brought up before. :scratch2:

KenP
03-01-2013, 04:13 PM
Supposedly not, I've emailed the owner of musical paradise and asked the same question and he said no.

audio0412
03-01-2013, 09:51 PM
Thanks KenP

Cambarr
03-05-2013, 03:25 AM
Noob here... Looking at a MP- 301... I'd like some nice bookshelf speakers. What specs should I be looking for that would complement the MP-301?!

Thanks for the help!

gtube
03-05-2013, 04:38 PM
Bookshelf speakers with greater than 87db efficiency are recommended. Some smaller bookshelf speakers with 87db still work.

For low budget and nice sounding new speakers, I would recommend the followings:

Infinity Primus P163
PSB Alpha B1

audio0412
03-15-2013, 12:05 PM
has anyone tried using the 807 tube with 6L6 adapters on this amp?? I'm on the fence on this one..i would like to know how the sound is vs 6L6??

gtube
03-15-2013, 12:41 PM
The RCA 807 are excellent sounding tubes and quite affordable. We haven't tried that adapter yet. You could be the volunteer to test it first.:thmbsp:

audio0412
03-15-2013, 01:46 PM
..hmmm, are they similar in the way? will it void the warranty? the 807 is not listed on the substitute for 6L6..

gtube
03-15-2013, 02:21 PM
..hmmm, are they similar in the way? will it void the warranty? the 807 is not listed on the substitute for 6L6..

I am going to order the adapter and 807 tubes to do the test by myself. I will post the result here next week.

G Tube
03-18-2013, 10:08 PM
Hi I have seen there is also adapters available to run an ef86 in place of the 6SJ7, I did a little bit of reading and it looks like they are similar electronically to the 6SJ7 but I am a little new to the tube scene.. Any thoughts?
I thought of trying it cause a good friend of mine has a pair of vintage valvo ef86
cheers
Garth

soloz2
03-20-2013, 08:55 AM
Has anyone here listened to both the first version and the current version of the mp-301? I currently have the original and use it with tekton design 4.1 speakers and headphones. I have recently had some issues with tunes getting noisy when listening to headphones. I was considering upgrading amps and am wondering if the updated version is for me or if I should look elsewhere.

matthewbetch
03-20-2013, 06:43 PM
anyone drop kt88's in this yet? I am loving it with the stock tubes... got some NOS rca's but quite prefer the ones that came with it with the el34b's.

Now if I can get a bigger stage, and add a bit more bass, I'll feel like it's perfect!

I have been going back and forth between kt66, kt77, and the kt88 and don't have the money to start throwing at tubes so want to start with a little bit of advice.

gtube
03-25-2013, 02:36 AM
Has anyone here listened to both the first version and the current version of the mp-301? I currently have the original and use it with tekton design 4.1 speakers and headphones. I have recently had some issues with tunes getting noisy when listening to headphones. I was considering upgrading amps and am wondering if the updated version is for me or if I should look elsewhere.

The first version of the MP-301 should be very quiet when using with headphones. Please use 6au6 and 6v6 tubes.

gtube
03-25-2013, 02:39 AM
Tested the 807-to-6L6 adapter and RCA 807 tubes with the MP-301 MK3. Works perfectly.

soloz2
03-25-2013, 07:10 AM
The first version of the MP-301 should be very quiet when using with headphones. Please use 6au6 and 6v6 tubes.

That I am. I still get noise with Grado headphones.

How does the newer versions compare when driving speakers? I think I'm just going to put my main headphone amp in a smaller enclosure so it can sit on my desk.

sebrof
03-25-2013, 07:25 AM
Tested the 807-to-6L6 adapter and RCA 807 tubes with the MP-301 MK3. Works perfectly.
I have an amp designed for the 6L6 tube, and at one point I got adapters so I could use it with the 807 tube. The adapters were $50 for the pair off eBay.

To me, the 807 tube is much better than the curent production 6L6s I tried, and better than a pair of GE old stock. And the 807s are very inexpensive and extremely durable. NOS RCAs for example were less than $30 delivered, but that was about 5 years ago so it may have changed.

IOW - If you're looking to roll some good tubes in the MP-301 or any 6L6 amp, the 807 might be a good place to look.

audio0412
03-25-2013, 11:58 PM
I have an amp designed for the 6L6 tube, and at one point I got adapters so I could use it with the 807 tube. The adapters were $50 for the pair off eBay.

To me, the 807 tube is much better than the curent production 6L6s I tried, and better than a pair of GE old stock. And the 807s are very inexpensive and extremely durable. NOS RCAs for example were less than $30 delivered, but that was about 5 years ago so it may have changed.

IOW - If you're looking to roll some good tubes in the MP-301 or any 6L6 amp, the 807 might be a good place to look.

WOW, im going to try these...

audio0412
04-01-2013, 08:31 PM
Wow!!! I just got the tubes, and the adapters (807-6L6). This thing sounds nice, for me it sounds better than the NOS RCA black plates 6L6GC's. The vocals on the album are more forward and overall warmer sound, it sounded "LIVE". For me, its a toss between the KT66 and the 807's. So far, so good!! 807 rocks!!!

audio0412
04-01-2013, 09:22 PM
sebrof,you're onto something here on the 807's something about this tube that makes you listen more...

sebrof
04-01-2013, 10:54 PM
Ha ha, glad you like them.
I'm not sure if it's because of something inherent in the 807 or if it's jut that the good ol' RCA tubes were built better or what, but I always thought you certainly get your money's worth with the NOS 807s. There are several types a swell, I have 807Ws which are shorter tubes, supposedly so that they would be less susceptible to mocrophonics and/or noise.

audio0412
04-02-2013, 12:42 PM

gary, i have tried this, and all i can say is, WOW!!!..i used the NOS RCA 807's, i think it just took the MP301 to another level..can't stop listening, all my vinyl records sounded "LIVE"..as if you are there..Highly recomended the NOS RCA 807's, black plates...:thmbsp::thmbsp:

charley95
04-02-2013, 02:47 PM
Just opened this thread again tonight. What a great review with so many pictures and details. I appreciate it. I hope our moderator won't delete this thread. I think he deletes older threads in this section frequently. Instead of deletion, Please move this thread to a proper section.

For Rock music, using Shuguang EL34B on the MP-301 MK3 would sound a lot better, especially the bass and dynamic.

Do you know when you'll get more in stock?

I e-mailed and called your site but, haven't heard back from you.

G Tube
04-07-2013, 03:12 PM
I am going to have to try some 807's just ordered some gold lion kt66's, I dont even have them yet though so I will wait haha, I just wanted to mention what seemed to be a good speaker choice, I was running a pair of sound dynamic 700 concert monitor's, very efficient at 101db, but I recently (yesterday) bought a pair of polk audio RTi A3's and I have to say they sound fantastic on this amp very full and detailed, and even though they are only 89 db it drives them well
cheers
Garth

rogerfederer
04-08-2013, 03:52 PM
i have been running 6bg6 tubes with a 6l6 adapter. very open, detailed sound. and the tubes are super cheap.

anyone know if those same adapters would work for the 807s?

i just noticed a canuck audio mart ad,

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649051933-musical_paradise_mp301_mk3_plus_upgrades/

where the guy has apparently been using 350b, and without an adapter. anyone try this?

really awesome little amp!

sebrof
04-08-2013, 04:28 PM
i have been running 6bg6 tubes with a 6l6 adapter. very open, detailed sound. and the tubes are super cheap.

anyone know if those same adapters would work for the 807s?

The 807 tube has a top cap, so a wire from the base of the tube to the top of the tube.
So I would say no.

Which brings up a good point - Be careful of the top cap on an 807. It has 300+ volts on it.

rogerfederer
04-08-2013, 06:44 PM
the 6l6 to 6bg6 adapter has the cap as well

i'll look at the epay listing for the 807 adapter and see if i can tell...

rogerfederer
04-08-2013, 06:55 PM
bummer
must be different adapter:
807 to 6l6 is 5 pin to 8 pin
6bg6 to 6l6 is 8 pin to 8 pin

hypertone
04-20-2013, 07:33 PM
i just noticed a canuck audio mart ad,

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649051933-musical_paradise_mp301_mk3_plus_upgrades/

where the guy has apparently been using 350b, and without an adapter. anyone try this?

I just bought this very amplifier. The 350B tubes sound great. The separation between instruments is insane, and the sound is very relaxed and free from any harshness or grain. I think they may be better than a pair of Genelex "Gold Lion" KT66's I have in it right now. I just received it yesterday, so I'm still experimenting with the best tube combo in it.

I owned the MP-301 MK2 and the MK3 is a significant upgrade. And it looks like the new "Deluxe Version" will be even better.

http://www.musicalparadise.ca/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=54

rogerfederer
04-21-2013, 06:27 PM
cool!
so i'll have to try the 350b and 807 (with adapter) options
i highly recommend the 6bg6 (need adapter) tube as well.
yep, a great amp

hypertone
04-28-2013, 12:25 AM
I made some slight mods to mine.

I noticed with headphones there was some background hum. That doesn't cut it for me, so I upgraded the signal wire that goes from the RCA jacks to the input selector with some double shielded coax (2 coax cables twisted with a shield around them) from an s-video cable and routed as far away as possible from the choke. I separated the grounds at the RCA's as the left/right grounds are connected for each input factory. I grounded the outer shield to the chassis on the RCA end and left it open on the switch end. I also upgraded the wires going to the binding posts just because I had some silver plated wire left over from another project.

This made a noticeable difference, but it wasn't totally gone. I wanted to see if it could be better.

It seemed like the hum could be due to the gain of the preamp stage which seems rather high with the NOS Sylvania 6SJ7's I'm using. I noticed that there was some noise that increased with the volume knob, and if I selected the second input which had no source plugged in it was noise city. Too much gain maybe?

So, as a simple attempt to reduce gain, the next thing I did was snip the cathode bypass caps from the preamp stage. I've removed them on some vintage amps I've modded and never missed them.

As expected, this resulted in less gain, and it takes a bit more on the volume knob for the same level, but the hum is gone completely and I'm left with a nice black background with headphones! The amp is now insanely quiet for a single ended amp.

I did a bit of research before snipping these caps and I concluded that bypassed cathode resistors result in a a boost in gain, at the expense of linearity.

The end result of all of this is what sounds like even better resolution, more airiness and transients like cymbals, bells, etc. sound even more lifelike (faster attack?).

It reminds me of a singled ended EL-84 console amp that I triode strapped, but with more control in the bottom end and more balls. It's actually what I would image a considerably more expensive (like 5X+ the price) tube amp to sound like.

BTW, I don't recommend this if you are concerned about warranty coverage. I wouldn't think of doing this on a $1500 amp, but I can gamble with $300. :music:

cubdog
04-28-2013, 08:26 AM
I wish MP would release an amp between the MP-301 and their top of the line model. I think they used to have one and I don't know why it was discontinued. Does anyone know if they plan on a new model soon?

cubdog

BeAtCoAsTeR
05-07-2013, 04:23 PM
I wrote Garry earlier this year and he said they would be...I've "settled" for a deluxe mp-301 - and can't wait for it to get here.

BeAtCoAsTeR
05-08-2013, 12:35 PM
Garry also responded that the 350b and 350c would work well in the mp-301 mk3 since it is basically a 807 in a 6l6 footprint. These allows even more tube rolling possibilities!! :)

xxmartinxx
05-10-2013, 09:43 PM
Ugh... another great budget tube amp to add to my want list.

For anyone looking for a tube with the mids of an EL34 and the bass of a 6L6, you should try the JJ KT77. It's a slightly more powerful EL34.

audio0412
05-14-2013, 04:55 PM
for anyone trying for NOS GE 6L6GC , try the TAD6l6wgc str!!..its identical in sound!..SOUNDS A LOT LIKE THE NOS GE/RCA 6L6GC!..and a lot cheaper than NOS

xxmartinxx
05-16-2013, 12:37 PM
This is at the top of my current list (I probably would have already ordered one if the MKIII 2013 Deluxe version was currently available). I'm a little concerned that this little guy with 6L6's won't be powerful enough to drive my 89dB Meadowlark Swift speakers. It's a fairly small room and I sit about six feet away from the speakers. Any opinions?

audio0412
05-16-2013, 03:03 PM
i think it can handle that small space..I have about the same listening space..and i listen at 9:00 o'clock position and its loud enough for me.

plus you can roll different tubes that suites you

audio0412
05-16-2013, 03:06 PM
Garry also responded that the 350b and 350c would work well in the mp-301 mk3 since it is basically a 807 in a 6l6 footprint. These allows even more tube rolling possibilities!! :)

tried the 350b, its a bit bright to me!..its going to barter town soon..:D

rogerfederer
05-17-2013, 03:14 PM
on wednesday i borrowed a friend's valve art 350b pair and popped them in. a nice detailed sound but a bit more solid -- maybe a bit less open -- than the 6bg6 sound. i think i'll look for a set when i get some spending $.

alas, my left output tube socket is acting up. will have to take it to my tech.

audio0412
05-20-2013, 06:43 PM
on wednesday i borrowed a friend's valve art 350b pair and popped them in. a nice detailed sound but a bit more solid -- maybe a bit less open -- than the 6bg6 sound. i think i'll look for a set when i get some spending $.
alas, my left output tube socket is acting up. will have to take it to my tech.

let me know, i can sell you my VA350B at a discount..:D

xxmartinxx
06-03-2013, 08:32 PM
Anyone interested in a pair of NOS National Union, US made, 6SK7GT tubes for their rolling pleasure? Message me.

Poultrygeist
06-04-2013, 07:02 AM
I'd love to see a comparison between the MP and this single ended Sweet Peach FU50. Similar price, power but more features with the Peach.

http://www.hllyhifi.com/images/200872859930049.jpg

BeAtCoAsTeR
06-04-2013, 08:45 AM
I got word that the deluxe is on it's way from China! Woot! I already have some nos rca 6sj7 and tung sol 6sj7gt's to try right out of the gate. :banana:

I will let all know how this sounds with my LS-6's as well as some x-omni style DIY speakers I made based of the vifa tweeter/perless 6.5"/onix ref-1 crossover.

sthomas048
06-10-2013, 10:50 AM
With kind regards to Poultrygiest, Im hopping from thread to thread here ! Is this a fixed bias amp too ? I read on the Musical Paradise site that its listed as auto-bias. So does this mean I would not need my olde multimeter/no need to tinker with biasing/biasing new tubes etc; As a newb to tubes I want to ease in slowly, so not having to adjust bias/read bias would help in the beginning.

Also what would be the difference between the EL34 power tubes option and the 6L6 + EL34 power tubes option ?

Poultrygeist
06-10-2013, 11:11 AM
Fixed or auto means you don't have to adjust the bias.

sthomas048
06-10-2013, 11:13 AM
Cheers ! You are like my own personal hifi guru !

rogerfederer
06-11-2013, 06:29 PM
well i now have my own 350Bs courtesy of audio0412. sound very nice. slightly warmer than the 6bg6s i have been using.

i'm using a HK citation 11 pre as my audio source selector but it also provides a fair amount of gain. so my MP can run bigger speakers in a medium size room. right now my new large advents but it did fine with my AR5s and wharfedale W60Es.

BeAtCoAsTeR
06-19-2013, 05:48 PM
I just got the MK3 Deluxe in yesterday and after a 30minute listening session(yep that's all the time I had) I can say that the stock preamp tubes are meh, the Tung Sol 6sk7's while sounding decent hum a ton(speaker and headphone), and the NOS RCA 6SJ7's are by far the best sounding teamed with the stock 6l6, but boy do I miss the glow of the two preamp tubes! I have VA 350b's on order and can't wait for them to arrive.

Signal path is: FLAC-->Nuforce USB off Mobo-->HRT Music Streamer II-->Choseal AB5408 Interconnects-->MP-301 MK3 Deluxe-->PE 10ga Speaker Wire-->DIY Onix Ref-1/X-Omni towers

More to come as I get some time to do some listening, and hook it up to my LS-6's:banana:.

Jadran
09-12-2013, 01:07 PM
I just got the MK3 Deluxe in yesterday and after a 30minute listening session(yep that's all the time I had) I can say that the stock preamp tubes are meh, the Tung Sol 6sk7's while sounding decent hum a ton(speaker and headphone), and the NOS RCA 6SJ7's are by far the best sounding teamed with the stock 6l6, but boy do I miss the glow of the two preamp tubes! I have VA 350b's on order and can't wait for them to arrive.
Wonder if you have tried those 350B already?
Not sure if they fit into MP301 as they have different filament current draw specs and other slight differences than 6L6 and KT66.
(edit)
OK my bad, didn't read all before :twak:
btw. Valve Art VA 350B are not that pricey

rogerfederer
09-12-2013, 02:27 PM
350Bs do sound nice. a bit fuller, warmer than the 6BG6s. just swapped them back in, actually!

Jadran
09-13-2013, 01:14 PM
350Bs do sound nice. a bit fuller, warmer than the 6BG6s. just swapped them back in, actually!

That's nice. What brand you've got? I see that Valve art matched pair can be found new for around $38+shipp. That's bargain price comparing to any other tubes!

rogerfederer
09-13-2013, 01:54 PM
valve arts

Jadran
10-18-2013, 01:37 PM
Just got the adapters today as I went to 807 option first, found great deal for two old Amperex tubes lately and grab those instead of Valve arts first.
I can tell - so far so good. However, the whole package now looks at least extravagant with those large bottles plus bases, and only time will tell if this set up worth the money and that look :scratch2:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5472/10349249246_68dc58e455_z.jpg

rogerfederer
10-18-2013, 02:08 PM
how do the 807s sounds? which adapter do you need?

Jadran
10-18-2013, 03:10 PM
how do the 807s sounds? which adapter do you need?

Yes, tubes are quite good, playing just a couple of hours, although they are not NOS, but pretty strong. Playing just few records so far and I'm pleased with the sound, bass is fine, treble also, smooth highs. They are not as powerful as original Shuguang EL34-B I get with MP, but that's fine for my space, and more like Russian 6P3S-E i took off before putting 807 in. More comparison I will make in the next few days.
If you want to try 807 you will need adapters like these
807 to 6L6 Vacuum tube adapter socket converter
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5485/10350637806_ded9754b81_o.jpg

I found them on ebay, copy/paste the title and will open the shop where I purchased mine for a good price.

rogerfederer
10-18-2013, 04:10 PM
cool

what do the 6P3S-E sound like?

so far my favorites are the 6bg6 tubes, which also require adapters. very open airy sound.

Jadran
10-19-2013, 12:30 PM
6P3S-E are fine, laid-back sounding tubes, everything on its place, good separation, clean treble and sweet highs. Somewhere found info that it's not the same 'quality' or construction as 6L6's but I've experienced nothing wrong so far, and prefer 6P3S rather than EL34 which gives more robust and could sound hard sometimes.
Haven't tried other than those two on MP and 807 are now running just the second day. The amp was switched on the whole afternoon and just listening some CDs, Roxy Music Avalon at the moment and can say that the sound is now 'beefier', bass stronger but pleasant, great separation with clean details, sweet :yes:
I will see in a few days or so and switch back to EL34 and 6P3S to be sure which of these are winners before even think to explore further on and spend more. 6BG6 looks affordable but then adapters again .. :sigh:

Tribbs
01-12-2014, 06:34 PM
Bump!

I just placed an order for the MP301 MK3 Deluxe.
Looking forward to rolling a few.

Have these in wait:
https://www.tubeworld.com/5693ge1.jpg

Lots of good 6L6 roll info in this thread. Hope to see more tube opinions...

altops
01-17-2014, 03:28 PM
My Smart phone has a SPL app and my max pleasurable spL is 80 db's , would you say this little amp and you speakers reach that mark?

altops
01-17-2014, 03:31 PM
what kind of SPL/ Db's will this reach?

Tribbs
01-18-2014, 03:30 PM
I received my MP-301 MK3 "Deluxe" in what was probably the quickest delivery from Hong Kong I have ever experienced (2-3 days).

My MK3 was ordered with Shuguang 6L6GC / 6J8PJ tubes and the MP headphone cord for my Grado cans.

Right now I am listening to some Jazz-Rock/Fusion music (source OPPO BDP-95 [w/SACDs]) with a pair of Fostex P1000-E DIY Kanspea 4" Full Range Speaker Kit (http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/2-way-speaker-kits/fostex-p1000e-diy-kanspea-4-full-range-speaker-kit-pair/) I assembled myself with the FE103En (8Ω/89dB) drivers (http://www.madisound.com/loudspeaker_specifications/FE103En.pdf).

I replaced the original AC power cord with a more chunky PS Audio Jewel [IEC] cord I happened to have available.

In my present temporary listening location (14'x16' room) the amp is plenty loud! My intent is to relocate this setup for use as desk top computer speakers so I know there is plenty of power for that.

So far I am really "diggin'" this amp!

Polo Varus
03-10-2014, 08:45 PM
I am about to receive my MP-301 MK3 2013 Deluxe tomorrow. I wanted to check your thoughts if I can use a pair of speakers with 85db sensitivity like the Pioneer SP BR22 LR. Any comment will be appreciated.

rogerfederer
03-10-2014, 09:49 PM
Might as well try. How big is your room? How loud do you listen?

I've run mine with ar5s, which have similar sensitivity, but I'm also using an extra preamp (to manage all my inputs) so I have extra gain from that.

Probably will be a stretch.

Polo Varus
03-15-2014, 08:40 AM
Might as well try. How big is your room? How loud do you listen?

I've run mine with ar5s, which have similar sensitivity, but I'm also using an extra preamp (to manage all my inputs) so I have extra gain from that.

Probably will be a stretch.

So my unit arrived 3 days ago. Nicely wrapped, I should say. For the tubes, I got a 6P3S instead of the shuguang 6L6. I has a 6n3c written on it but it seemed Russian. Garry of MP explained it is indeed Russian and I got lucky as they run out of the shuguang 6L6. The other tube is shuguang with a sticker saying 3.60. I set up the amp and after 2 hours of playing, it played so sweet allowing me to hear details from my CDs that I haven't heard before.

The vocals did fly, the mids and highs were great and even the lows came out from (get this) a lowly Infinity Primus 143 with an 85db sensitivity rating. I will be in the hunt for the right speakers but for now, I am marinating on the sweet sound of my new amp. I also got the cable adapter for the headphones that MP offers. It worked fine with my Grado SR 60 headphone.

The amp sits in the master's bedroom and is currently mated to my Marantz cd5001, Yamaha Tuner TX 492 and will soon try my Project Debut III tt. As you can deduce from my equipment, I am an entry level audiophile guy and budget is an issue. But thanks to Garry Huang and Musical Paradise I have been given the chance to have a vacuum tube amp.

rogerfederer
03-15-2014, 09:04 AM
Excellent!

Tube rolling is next...

AudioSoul
08-20-2014, 06:47 PM
I ran across this thread on the net. I was so impressed by all the positive posts that I ordered the MP-301 mk3 deluxe last night. I will be pairing this amp with Tekton M-Lore 95db speakers. My room is 15x21 so I hope I get room filling sound from this 6 watt per channel amp. We shall see.....

fsdaron
08-21-2014, 07:17 AM
Oh you will.

GuyNoir
09-14-2014, 11:39 PM
... I hope I get room filling sound from this 6 watt per channel amp. We shall see.....

How did you make out? Can we get a report?

Poultrygeist
09-15-2014, 04:45 AM
6 wpc for 95 db speakers are a gracious plenty.

GuyNoir
09-15-2014, 10:33 AM
6 wpc for 95 db speakers are a gracious plenty.

I was thinking in terms of a review. Do you have one of these Mr. Poultrygeist?
I've read your various posts on the InterWeb forums regarding your love for the Miniwatt N3. What do you favor now? That is, I know you're an SE aficionado. What's your daily driver?

Poultrygeist
09-15-2014, 06:29 PM
I was thinking in terms of a review. Do you have one of these Mr. Poultrygeist?
I've read your various posts on the InterWeb forums regarding your love for the Miniwatt N3. What do you favor now? That is, I know you're an SE aficionado. What's your daily driver?

I don't have the MP but from all I've read I know I'd like it.

None of my SET amps make more than 3.5 wpc which is plenty for my speakers which range from 93dbs to 98dbs.

I still enjoy the Miniwatt but my daily drivers are the 2a3 Bottleheads and the Dared MP-2a3c.

Of late I've been smitten with the $20 TPA3116 chip amp that when paired with a $50 Guanzo tube preamp is very SET like.

GuyNoir
09-15-2014, 06:41 PM
Of late I've been smitten with the $20 TPA3116 chip amp that when paired with a $50 Guanzo tube preamp is very SET like.

Curious! I have a TPA3118 SMSL that I've found to be kind of fair to middling.
Sounds like a fun experiment.

Sorry about the left turn at Albuquerque, AKers.