View Full Version : I nfinity emit-r tweeters

pepper
10-14-2012, 04:07 PM
Hello to all, can the emit-r tweeter from another infinity speaker be used in the kappa 8.1 speakers and are all the emit -r tweeters 4 ohm the one I have as a replacement has a dcr of 3.7? and it came from the reference series speakers and does not say kappa on the front as the only visible difference.

crazy-in-az
10-14-2012, 07:11 PM
I think you can swap them. A DCR of 3.7 ohms is common for a product rated at 4 ohms (very rarely do 4 ohm products actually measure 4 ohms exactly).

loquatious
10-14-2012, 08:08 PM
not sure if you can swap a reference series emit-r for a kappa. i do know you can't swap a crescendo series emit-r for a reference or a kappa emit-r (different impedance).

they all have different part numbers:

reference series emit-r:
902-4578

kappa series emit-r:
902-5754

crescendo series emit-r:
902-6769

crescendos are 8 ohm speakers. kappa and reference are both 6ohm speakers. maybe the different part number for the reference and the kappa is just because the emits on the kappas say kappa on them, maybe not. the crossovers are certainly different.

personally, i'd use the correct part number for my speakers. they come up often enough on ebay you shouldn't have to wait more than a few weeks to snag some correct ones. there are 4578s and 6769s on there right now.

Tedrick
10-14-2012, 11:49 PM
If they are anything like the square EMITs, and judging by the P/N's that loquatious posted they are, then the different model numbers of EMIT-r's were probably designed with different strength magnets in order to taylor the tweeter's output for each speaker model. So, you CAN try an EMIT-r from a different speaker (and you won't harm anything), but there's a chance that the output may not be optimized for your speaker.

However, all is not lost. It appears that all EMIT-r's use the same diaphragm. While I have not looked at one myself, it is most likely possible to harvest a good diaphragm from a working tweeter and install it in your EMIT-r frame. In this way, you have the magnet structure from your speaker so you'll be sure that the output matches up.

If you try this, take your time (the diaphragms are fragile), and make a jig to keep the tweeter halves lined up with disassembling/assembling. These tweeters have very strong magnets inside and if they aren't held in alignment, they can slam together and pinch your fingers or (worse) damage a diaphragm or break magnets.