View Full Version : Sansui SP-2000 Modification

GabrielS
11-30-2012, 08:51 PM
I was contemplating the modification of my SP-2000 speakers with the idea of obtaining better bass and overall response.
One idea is to plug that huge port and stuffing the enclosure with dampening material so it'll act as an acoustic suspension design reinforcing the bass and removing the boominess. Another idea is to remove the woofer's stiff suspension replacing it with a foam surround for easier excursion. The recap of the crossover seems a viable solution for smoothing out the spectrum. I like the look and construction of these speakers especially the fretwork grill and would like to improve the performance. Any ideas on this?

BruceRPA
11-30-2012, 10:18 PM
I think this thread will provide the answer that you are seeking. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=58595 .
I aded the bypass caps when I rebuilt the crossovers in my SP2000s and it made a world of difference. The Godawful booming bass is finally gone. They are still not one of my favorite sounding speakers but the inmrovement that adding those bypass caps made was huge.

GabrielS
12-01-2012, 09:54 AM
Thank you, BruceRPA, for the info. I recently purchased the speakers at an estate sale for only $20, they were in terrific physical and electrical shape. I once had these in the 70's and now have acquired them once more for nostalgic reasons. I've better sounding speakers such as Allison Fours, DCM Time Windows, ESS Amt1a's and Snell Type A's to mention a few but I'm also attracted to nice well built wood cabinets too (much to my wife's chagrin). Too many speakers, not enough real estate!