View Full Version : MA-6100 question

2string1
12-04-2012, 06:51 PM
I currently use a Fisher 500B and like it very much. I also own a Marantz 2275. I am selling the Marantz and wanting to try a MA-6100. Has any one heard these 3 and could give me a comparision between them?

2string1
12-05-2012, 04:02 AM
Well can anyone compare the all tube Fisher to the MA-6100

MORTIS
12-05-2012, 09:37 AM
I haven't listened to any of those so I'd be guessing. If the 2275 and the 6100 were both within original spec, I'm guessing I'd prefer the performance of the 2275, and I'm a huge Mac fan

capt.chaos
12-05-2012, 09:49 AM
I have owned both the McIntosh MA6100 and a Marantz 2270. Both are nice but I prefer the MA6100. I have never listened to the Fisher 500B. I do have a McIntosh MA2275 and like it very much.

2string1
12-05-2012, 10:05 AM
What were the differences between the McIntosh MA6100 and a Marantz 2270. Did you use the same set up on both?

c_dk
12-05-2012, 10:05 AM
There are a lot of MA6100s out there (they built almost 15,000) and most all of them are way out of wack; they can sound way off and very frumpy without a careful restore and recalibration.

raco
12-05-2012, 12:33 PM
I do have a Fisher KX-200 and had an MA6100 for a while. I didn't really use them at the same time, to do a proper A/B comparison, but overall, between the two, I prefer the sound of the Fisher. The MA6100 is a great smaller amp, but it does have some signs of early transistor amps - a bit clinical, not exciting, duller sound. The Fisher is a great amp, very lively and accurate, non-fatiguing and a great, satisfying system to have in a smaller space. All of this is definitely subjective and it's also subject to other parts of the system they were in (for instance, the speakers I used them with are a pair of ADS L520, themselves restored and brought back to spec by a specialized speakers manufacturer/restorer; I hooked these up with an assortment of McIntosh and Sansui tuners and other sources).
To me, some of the differences come from the fact that both the Fisher 500b and the KX-200 come from an age when tube amps design was brought to an art, and Fisher was one of the best at this (along with McIntosh, Harman-Kardon, Dynaco, Heathkit, and many others). The MA6100 is one of the relatively early SS amps; for instance, it still used cvasi-complementary pairs for power amplification, as TO-3 PNPs were still fairly difficult to manufacture in the early days at similar specs with NPN types.
Never heard the Maranz, but if I were you, I'd get an MA6100, make sure it's brought back to spec and give it a good listen. It's a great amp and really really good looking too. If you don't like it, you can always sell it to no loss.

2string1
12-07-2012, 04:47 PM
I do have a Fisher KX-200 and had an MA6100 for a while. I didn't really use them at the same time, to do a proper A/B comparison, but overall, between the two, I prefer the sound of the Fisher. The MA6100 is a great smaller amp, but it does have some signs of early transistor amps - a bit clinical, not exciting, duller sound. The Fisher is a great amp, very lively and accurate, non-fatiguing and a great, satisfying system to have in a smaller space. All of this is definitely subjective and it's also subject to other parts of the system they were in (for instance, the speakers I used them with are a pair of ADS L520, themselves restored and brought back to spec by a specialized speakers manufacturer/restorer; I hooked these up with an assortment of McIntosh and Sansui tuners and other sources).
To me, some of the differences come from the fact that both the Fisher 500b and the KX-200 come from an age when tube amps design was brought to an art, and Fisher was one of the best at this (along with McIntosh, Harman-Kardon, Dynaco, Heathkit, and many others). The MA6100 is one of the relatively early SS amps; for instance, it still used cvasi-complementary pairs for power amplification, as TO-3 PNPs were still fairly difficult to manufacture in the early days at similar specs with NPN types.
Never heard the Maranz, but if I were you, I'd get an MA6100, make sure it's brought back to spec and give it a good listen. It's a great amp and really really good looking too. If you don't like it, you can always sell it to no loss.
Well you kinda confused me comparing the fisher with the mac.Kind of cut down the mac but at the end telling me to buy one and try it. They don't come cheap.It doesn't sound like I'm bettering my sound from what I already have.

dusseaud
12-07-2012, 09:44 PM
Get the MA6100. I've owned plenty of McIntosh and Marantz in my day and the 6100 is one of my all time favorite pieces. Just the right blend of early transistor departing tube technology. And looks fantastic.