View Full Version : Sony PS-X7 versus Thorens TD 125

deburgess
09-29-2005, 05:04 PM
How does the performance of a Sony PS-X7 compare to the performance of a Thorens TD-125 Mark II with the SME 3009/S2 tonearm?

Strawman
09-29-2005, 05:34 PM
I would think that the Thorens would kick the Sony's aSS. The SME alone is worth more than the Sony. Just my .02. And Welcome to the fun.

Yamaha B-2
09-29-2005, 05:48 PM
Quality-wise, probably a wash. Sound-wise, the Sony will be quieter than the Thorens and has a better arm. Convenience-wise, full auto vs. manual. Problem with the Sony is that it will most likely eventually become a manual TT as the plastic parts that run the full-auto functions tend to wear out (not too surprising as it goes past 25 years old). The good news is that the same bits can be taken from a good PS-X6 (and perhaps a PS-X5, but you would need to check that). And, as a manual TT it will still be quieter than is the Thorens. Both are terrific TTs, but the Sony would be my choice for the reasons stated above. If you have access to old issues of Stereo Review you can read same on both TTs. The Sony was the quietest TT they ever measured.

deburgess
09-29-2005, 06:15 PM
O.K. How does the performance of a Sony PS-X7 compare to a Pioneer PL-600 (the heavy model with silver base)?

Kim G
09-29-2005, 09:31 PM
If I read correctly, the Thorens has a SME arm. I would think that it would blow away the Sony. I have a Thorens 125MKII and I would put it up against the Sony anyday. Not to say that the Sony isn't a good table, it is, and I would like to have one someday. But I don't think it would REPLACE my Thorens as the King of the house. Here's a picture of mine :banana:

Kim

MikeO
09-29-2005, 10:24 PM
I just picked up a PS-X7 and it has replaced a Thorens TD145 II and an Ariston RD80 in my system. Build quality is much better on the Sony and the sound seems just as good. I hope you are wrong about the parts breaking on the full auto mode as I have quickly come to really like these features. The Sony is a great table for someone who doesn't want to play around with suspension adjustments and fine tuning. The first couple of times I did that on the Thorens and Aristons I thought it was fun. Now I just want a good table I can play music on and ignore.

ProAc_Fan
09-29-2005, 10:26 PM
I'd take the Thorens/SME combo over the Sony DD anyday of the week. You can't beat the Thorens when it comes to build quality.

Mike

danj
09-30-2005, 01:58 AM
On a scale of 1 to 10, the Sony is a solid 8 and the Thorens a 9.5. Neither is the ultimate. The Sony has more muscle. The Thorens has more soul.

Me? Having had both I will take the Thorens every time. There's a reason why they are so sought after. The Sony is a very fine machine but it lacks that special something that almost all vintage Thorens have always had. It's one of those things you can't describe but you know it when you see it.

And that SME arm makes it a slam dunk.

WhiteSE
09-30-2005, 05:52 AM
On a scale of 1 to 10, the Sony is a solid 8 and the Thorens a 9.5. Neither is the ultimate. The Sony has more muscle. The Thorens has more soul.

Me? Having had both I will take the Thorens every time. There's a reason why they are so sought after. The Sony is a very fine machine but it lacks that special something that almost all vintage Thorens have always had. It's one of those things you can't describe but you know it when you see it.

And that SME arm makes it a slam dunk.

Does that mean that the Thorens will need a priest when it goes Kaput?

Yamaha B-2
09-30-2005, 06:41 PM
Plastic bits in the PS-X7 don't 'break', they just wear down to the point that they will not engage the automatic function.

A PS-X7 is listed as "Sold" on Audiogon at an asking price of $350 (who knows what it actually sold for). There is a TD-125 without an arm for the same price. Guy with the Sony got a great price for his if near $350. The TD-125 has been there for a while, so it is probably at the high end of its range. Based on $$, they are roughly equivalent. Thorens trades not just on quality, but on the cachet of the name. Sony doesn't get much on the cachet count. Both are excellent tables. Auto vs. manual. DD vs. belt drive. Graphite arm vs. metal. High-tech damped composite material of construction vs. standard wood/metal/springs. Take your pick. But, based on measured performance, the Sony will be quieter.

Kim G
09-30-2005, 09:06 PM
So you are saying that the Sony with a tonearm is equivilent in value to a Thorens without a tone arm? Glad mine has a tone arm. :thmbsp:

Kim

Jon S
09-30-2005, 09:40 PM
I have a Sony PS-X7, while in fair condition, I don't think it can really be compared to a Thorens with a SME arm. SME makes great arms and the Sony graphite is really just fair. The drive system on the Sony tho is pretty good, direct drive, brushless-slotless motor for smooth running and quartz locked for stability. Thorens has been making excellent belt drive TTs but I prefer DD since I don't have to worry about the belts wearing out.

ProAc_Fan
10-01-2005, 02:37 AM
The Sonys MSRP was $350 and current bluebook value is $74. Thorens MSRP was $280 and current bluebook value is $240. That doesn't even include the SME arm which has to be worth at least $200. The Sony DD's I see on Ebay rarely fetch $100 so the thought of someone forking over $350 for a PS-X7 sounds a bit far fetched. There is something to be said for cachet. A Timex will keep time as well as my Breitling but a Breitling it ain't.

Mike

deburgess
10-23-2005, 06:09 AM
Thank you very much for your informative discussion.

The Thorens 125 with an SME arm sold for $560:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5813230407&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1,
in line with some of your statements of the value of a Thorens.

I chose to buy a PS-X70:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5812849407&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1,
because it has slightly better specs than a PS-X7 and maybe a better tonearm:
http://www.thevintageknob.org/SONY/sonyvault/PSX70/PSX70.html
Though it arrived with a broken dust cover, I enjoy its clean, accurate sound. I am amazed that a turntable with such quality engineering can be obtained for under $100.

Dick Schneiders
10-23-2005, 08:00 AM
I just picked up a PS-X7 and it has replaced a Thorens TD145 II and an Ariston RD80 in my system. Build quality is much better on the Sony and the sound seems just as good.

I missed this posting the first time around.

While the Thorens TD145 is a nice table, it is nowhere close to the quality of the Thorens TD125. The 145 was a below average table of the Thorens line and the 125 just about the top, excluding the very rare Reference and one or two others equally as rare.

I used a Thorens TD147 for 20 years, which is better than the 145, and now use a TD125MKII, which blows the 147 away.

When making these comparisons you need to avoid thinking that all tables from a maker are close to equal, even a respected one like Thorens. They have made some turntables that were not really very good, even worse than the 145.

I don't know much about the Sony being mentioned, but I do have a Sony PS3000 that I purchased new in 1968. That is a very quiet and excellent sounding turntable, and I think it would compare to the 125 closely.

Certainly the Thorens name carries more weight than does Sony, when it comes to turntables, but not all are created equal.

Dick Schneiders

axel
10-23-2005, 08:20 AM
>> The X7 has a "generic" tonearm, albeit with a carbon-fiber wand (21,65cm effective)
>> The X70 has a PUA-7 tonearm (30,000Y, pricier than a PUA-1600L or S) which was the little brother of the one fitted on the PS-X9 masterpiece (PUA-9) ; also 2dB better s/n and a longer arm (23,5mm effective)

Apart from that, same brushless/slotless motor and w/f specs.

In the '78 japanese lit' I have, the scaling is as follows:

01. PS-X9 (380,000Y)
02. PS-B80 (200,000Y)
03. PS-8750 (168,000Y)
04. PS-X70 (79,800Y)
05. PS-6750 (74,800Y)
06. PS-P7X (65,800Y, fits the "Precise" system)
07. PS-X60 (62,800Y)
08. PS-X50W (59,800Y)
09. PS-X6 (59,800Y, the X7 wasn't available in Japan)
10. PS-X50 (54,800Y)

The carbon wand of the X7 (sole difference between X6 and X7) would probably place it below the X60.
From the same timeframe, the TTS-8000 drive + TB-2000 base + PUA-9 tonearm (or even two!) would amount to about the (exorbitant) tag of a PS-B80.