View Full Version : Question on an MCS 6710 Turntable

jazzwolf
09-29-2005, 05:05 PM
I just picked up an MCS 6710 TT for 13.00 on EBAY. I originally just wanted it for parts because I have an MCS 6701 and I wanted a spare long spindle in case I lost the current one as you really can't find it anywhere. It turns out that the TT is really OK and just needed a new belt. The damped cueing is just like my other MCS TT which is really 2nd to none. It comes with the original cartridge which is a JC Penney cartridge but really an AT71. While it is a pretty decent cartridge it isn't a world beater. I wanted to change it to a Grado or even one of the later AT or Shure cartridges but I notice that the headshell on the tonearm is not of the type of that you can screw in to the arm. it looks like it is fixed. Does anyone know how to remove the blasted thing? I have the manual and there is no info on changing the cartridge just the stylus. I would hate to change a cartridge while the headshell is still attached to the tonearm.

jazzwolf
09-30-2005, 03:46 PM
Any Suggestions?

Celt
09-30-2005, 04:14 PM
I believe the headshell is permanently mounted to the arm on those. Some of the lower priced Panasonic/Technics were the same way.

jazzwolf
09-30-2005, 04:40 PM
I believe the headshell is permanently mounted to the arm on those. Some of the lower priced Panasonic/Technics were the same way.

I kind of figured that, it makes it one hell of a pain in the *** to change a cartridge :cry:

hifi_nut
09-30-2005, 04:55 PM
I kind of figured that, it makes it one hell of a pain in the *** to change a cartridge :cry:

Yeah, that makes the few thousands of us, owners of Rega RB250 / 300 arms, really hurt down there...
Jorge