View Full Version : Cerwin Vega D9

7miles
12-10-2012, 02:38 PM
Any info or opinions on Cerwin Vega D9's? I picked up a set this weekend in a package deal. I have never owned CV before. They need re-foamed, I ordered the foams yesterday. Other then the foams they are in very nice condition.

Just kinda wonder how they would stack up against my HPM-900? I really really enjoy my 900's. Any info would be great

allsmith
12-10-2012, 04:35 PM
Chest thumping bass on hard rock music!, like at a concert!! But the mids and highs at high volume really start to hurt the ears! Probably best in a very BIG room. Overall they sound decent. A buddy of mine worked at sun tv around 1990, he said they sold like hotcakes at around 1000 bucks a pair, and hated moving them giant things! Im surprised they sold for that much, he could be wrong, maybe somebody on here can confirm there original selling price, i would kinda like to know for sure.

CLS500
12-10-2012, 04:47 PM
The most famous of all CV speakers !!! The rock&roll party speaker supreme !!! If you like loud music you are there !! You can tame the high freqency area with an EQ. Be sure use the red foam kit (CV tradition). I spent 2 years looking for a nice set of D9's and they are my favorites. You did good !!!

btlefn1
12-10-2012, 05:10 PM
Very nice! I'd love to have a pair of those, but my 212s get me in trouble with the neighbor already! Agree about the red surrounds. I had mine replaced about 12 years ago and the guy who did it used grey surrounds. They sounded fine, but last year I had them re-done just to get the red back. Now they look like and sound like Cerwin Vegas!

dc270
12-10-2012, 06:51 PM
ll in all not a bad speaker- VERY efficient and potentially can get stupid loud! There are better sounding speakers out there in its class, but almost none that are that "fun" to own. Not a bad speaker in my book, the Military PX versions were pretty decent with better xovers, etc in them. For a 15" 3 way, for the low $$ spent you cannot do a lot better- unless you build your own.
DC

7miles
12-10-2012, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I did order the red surrounds from Simply Speaker. I have gotten others from them and like there customer service. The glue they send is the best I have used.....really easy to work with.

I picked these D9'S up with a Onkyo M504 and the pre P304 and a couple other onkyo pieces. I have my HPM 900's hooked up to it now.......Really reminded why I like the 900's so much.

I am not sure if I will keep the D9's long. I will fix them and let them rip:music::music: for a week or two and decide then. The only problem is the are so flipping big.:D:D

allsmith
12-10-2012, 09:03 PM
Yes they are big! I don't know how i did it, but managed to carry them in the house myself! I thought like you that i would sell mine, but there still here, i guess there just a fun speaker to have around! Or I just don't want to move them again lol.oh and dont grab on to the little risers on the bottom when moving, on mine the previous owner did and they broke off, there just glued and stapled on

Granite
12-10-2012, 09:30 PM
Yes they are BIG!..I picked up a turntable from a guy living in a single wide mobile and we kept walking around these behemoths..the cabs were in great shape but needed a refoam job,,hauled them away for 60 bucks and ordered my refoam kits from Orange County speakers (the red rings) ..think the price was 30 bucks..It was my first refoam job and I took it nice and slow..Anyways after some time they settled in with no rub noticed..I always think I will sell them but after a party I just can't part with them..I use a Sansui QRX 6500 to drive them and I did have the cops visit me one night..My 16 year old Son called us all crazy old deaf people..the cop chuckled as a bunch of liquored up 50 plus danced to Bob Seger..anyways good luck with your job..they are keepers man!

Big Tuna
12-11-2012, 12:06 PM
Are you kidding? lol! D9's are not big. :no:

The big CV's are the CLS-215, DC-1515, DC-2000, 2000-12, 2000-15, and their earthquake cabs with stroker 18's in them. I had D9's I bought new in 1987, when I was a kid, and although they are large speakers, I did consider them big until I heard CV made bigger ones like I mentioned above. :eek:

indyhawg
12-12-2012, 07:24 PM
Congrats on the score. I just recapped my D9s. They sound great.

budgetaudio6
12-12-2012, 07:31 PM
you guys wouldnt happen to have the codes from the back of the magnets would you?
been trying to id which speakers the MX series is most related to in the CV line up.

on teh MX 400s the tweets have cv cs 5 and on teh mids it says cm 6 8 ohm 9137
Been a mystery for me for a while

7miles
12-12-2012, 07:36 PM
Granite.......Thank you, You made me laugh my ass off

indyhawg...... Thanks I can't wait to get them together. To decide if I want to keep them or not. But I tell you with all the good things I am hearing. It might be a no brainier. :thmbsp:

TonyRumore
12-12-2012, 07:59 PM
I have a pair of D5's, D7's, and D9's. I prefer the sound of the D7's at normal listening volumes, but if I want to go LOUD, the D9's will certainly pound it out.

Tony

Granite
12-13-2012, 01:46 AM
I still laugh about it too..Fact is if you have 'em you are gonna crank 'em..that is where the danger lies in an urban enviroment..,I like that other dude's post previously where he hiked 2 pairs up a mountain range to crank the tunes! They are a classic Rock n Roll speaker and I always wanted a pair and now that I have them they will stay..I have also had a pair of D7s (found them in a snowbank by a dumpster and refurbished them) they toned things down a bit and for my upstairs system I use the VS 100's (good for cds I find)..Anyways enjoy the ride and make sure you get the money out of them if you decide to flip them!

7miles
12-20-2012, 01:08 PM
Well I got them re-foamed. And everything you guys have been saying is true. The do rock!!! You know it, when you feel it across the room. They are allot of fun.

However I don't think they will be keepers for me. I just like my sound to be a little cleaner.

budgetaudio6
12-20-2012, 02:47 PM
did you by chance get a pic of the back of the magnet? for the codes?

Judas Priest
12-20-2012, 03:20 PM
In this video you can see the woofer code on the D9:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZID6qQ6oyd4

budgetaudio6
12-20-2012, 03:24 PM
cool thanks. ill be pulling mine out and see what codes are on it. Basket structure looks identical. But that doesn't say much.

billysam1
12-21-2012, 06:16 AM
I don,t have D9,s but picked up a pair of AT 15,s which I think are very close to the D9,s . I have them hooked up to a pioneer sx 1280 in my man cave .these speakers can really rock . not a really refined sound but just fun to have and crank up once in a while .and having fun is what it,s all about .

MarkGoodOne
12-22-2012, 11:05 PM
Been trying to buy 2 or 4 D-9s for years. I see them on e-bay and willing to pay to ship. All want picked up

Boost lee
12-15-2013, 05:12 AM
Not to bump an old thread, but what is the difference in the wood coloured D9 and the black D9? and also what is the "special edition D9" thanks

plazmaplanna
12-15-2013, 05:17 AM
fun speakers i owned for a while....got rid of them because of the size...definitely if you want to have a good time- these will bring it :yes:

Big Tuna
12-15-2013, 11:58 AM
did you by chance get a pic of the back of the magnet? for the codes? The desireable D series woofers are the ones marked w 152WR and WZ2010 cone respectively. Those were primarily early ones that had extended pole plates, and they could dip lower than the later 152WD. Also, find the Dhorn tweeters that were Japan produced and not Taiwan. If you put together a pair of D9's with the 152WR woofer, Japan tweeters, thick-wired X-overs, and early midranges with plastic screens and not the metal mesh ones, then hook them to vintage power, such as a SX-1280, SX-1980 Pioneer, or a Marantz 2385, 2500, 2600, or even a Kenwood KR-9600, KR-9050, then EQ them with a Mic and pink noise equipped parametric equalizer, and OMGGGG!!! Some of the cleanest sound waves you will ever hear! My 1985 D9's that I bought new, were equipped with the 152WR woofer and later I added the Japan tweeter. Holy crap did they sound good!

Big Tuna
12-15-2013, 12:25 PM
Not to bump an old thread, but what is the difference in the wood coloured D9 and the black D9? and also what is the "special edition D9" thanks The wood laminate vinyl clad cabs were mostly throughout D9's life, from 1984, to around 1989-90, when they intro'd the black ash vinyl clad cabinets, and they began to out-sell the wood laminate ones, so they made the switch to all black from then on, so the last few years of D9's were black for this reason. As for the special edition D-9, this was the PD-9, which came around 1988-89, and was first produced in the wood laminate color vinyl, like the regular D9, but then they intro'd the black ash covered cabs, and they also out-sold the wood colored ones, so they stopped making them in the wood vinyl clad, and PD-9's were all black ash cabinetry. It is said that black PD-9's are pretty rare, since they discontinued them right after the switch to all black. Overall, PD-9's are kinda hard to find, but they are out there. Around the time PD-9's disappeared, they intro'd the 380SE, which was similar configuration as PD-9, but with an improved radiating, bullet Dhorn tweeter., from then on, most of CV's speaker lines were only available in black ash, as they still are today.

Boost lee
12-17-2013, 03:22 AM
The wood laminate vinyl clad cabs were mostly throughout D9's life, from 1984, to around 1989-90, when they intro'd the black ash vinyl clad cabinets, and they began to out-sell the wood laminate ones, so they made the switch to all black from then on, so the last few years of D9's were black for this reason. As for the special edition D-9, this was the PD-9, which came around 1988-89, and was first produced in the wood laminate color vinyl, like the regular D9, but then they intro'd the black ash covered cabs, and they also out-sold the wood colored ones, so they stopped making them in the wood vinyl clad, and PD-9's were all black ash cabinetry. It is said that black PD-9's are pretty rare, since they discontinued them right after the switch to all black. Overall, PD-9's are kinda hard to find, but they are out there. Around the time PD-9's disappeared, they intro'd the 380SE, which was similar configuration as PD-9, but with an improved radiating, bullet Dhorn tweeter., from then on, most of CV's speaker lines were only available in black ash, as they still are today.

Thank you for that Tuna, being a fellow 1980 owner, my hpm 100's just aren't cutting it for me anymore, I found a set of clean VS 150 the vegas.. and I read great things about them, any insight on those?

Big Tuna
12-17-2013, 10:21 AM
Thank you for that Tuna, being a fellow 1980 owner, my hpm 100's just aren't cutting it for me anymore, I found a set of clean VS 150 the vegas.. and I read great things about them, any insight on those? Wow, never heard that line from any HPM-100 owner. I've heard them and thought they sounded really nice. Great Bass, and accuracy. Perhaps something is amiss with your pair and they need a tune up?

VS-150's are ok, they have a weak tweeter though. My favorite newer CV are the late 90's early 2000's E series. E-312's, E-712's, E-315 & E-715. I had some E-312's I bought new back in '99. I had them for over 10 years, and they sat in my basement in original boxes, unused. Pulled them out and played them on my 1980, and all I can say is they were very clear, clean, and mean. Here's my old thread:
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=310340

Bstable
12-17-2013, 11:47 AM
I had a roommate that owned D9s back in the early 90s. He had them in a 13' x 10' uncarpeted room. I can't remember what he used to power them with, but on a few occasions I could hear them driving down the road well before I got to my house. He would turn them down when he saw me coming through the door...Listened to Led Zeppelin most of the time too. I wonder how his hearing is these days.

Boost lee
12-18-2013, 02:25 AM
Wow, never heard that line from any HPM-100 owner. I've heard them and thought they sounded really nice. Great Bass, and accuracy. Perhaps something is amiss with your pair and they need a tune up?

VS-150's are ok, they have a weak tweeter though. My favorite newer CV are the late 90's early 2000's E series. E-312's, E-712's, E-315 & E-715. I had some E-312's I bought new back in '99. I had them for over 10 years, and they sat in my basement in original boxes, unused. Pulled them out and played them on my 1980, and all I can say is they were very clear, clean, and mean. Here's my old thread:
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=310340

OK Tuna, so everything we have listed, ultimate sx 1980 CV speaker combo? :P

badpuss
05-12-2014, 01:10 PM
I just bought a set of used D7's that have blown fuses in them, can someone tell me what the OEM fuse should be for these?

Thanks in advance.

Chris Brown
05-12-2014, 01:21 PM
Was it really necessary to necro this thread, given how many similar new threads we've had recently?

I'm not sure about the fuse in the D-7. I will say that the stock fuse for the D-9 is 2.5a slow-blow. I was blowing fuses somewhat regularly, and after consulting with CV Tech Support (http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=203681&postcount=21), I upped the fuse to 3a slow-blow and never had any problems afterward.

badpuss
05-12-2014, 03:47 PM
Was it really necessary to necro this thread, given how many similar new threads we've had recently?

I'm not sure about the fuse in the D-7. I will say that the stock fuse for the D-9 is 2.5a slow-blow. I was blowing fuses somewhat regularly, and after consulting with CV Tech Support (http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=203681&postcount=21), I upped the fuse to 3a slow-blow and never had any problems afterward.

I did a search, it wasn't very helpful.

Thanks for the info, looks like I may have some work to do, 3a fuses are blowing.

Chris Brown
05-13-2014, 12:45 PM
3a fuses are blowing.

You are using Slow-Blow fuses right?

dc270
05-13-2014, 01:17 PM
Maybe time to start pulling drivers and check the voice coils for dead shorts....have you put an ohm meter across the input terminals after a fuse replacement- what reading are you getting? Smell anything burnt? Should not be difficult to figure out.
DC

badpuss
05-13-2014, 08:58 PM
You are using Slow-Blow fuses right?

Yes, Radio Shack.

Maybe time to start pulling drivers and check the voice coils for dead shorts....have you put an ohm meter across the input terminals after a fuse replacement- what reading are you getting? Smell anything burnt? Should not be difficult to figure out.
DC

I haven't had a chance to do any testing, just replacing the fuse and it failing within seconds of the volume being increased to a low-mid level. I hope to have some time tomorrow to test the drivers, I'm new at this and need to read up on it first, I have a DVM.

Thanks

dc270
05-13-2014, 09:45 PM
Set your ohm meters to 250 ohms and then replace fuse with new fuse, put test leads on each input terminal and see what it reads. If it a short, like what the two leads touching each other would read, then pull you drivers and individually read their terminal- if one reads like a short, then there is your suspect, check woofers first......good hunting.
DC

tlcasper
05-14-2014, 10:07 PM
any photos of the real prize here, those Onkyo's

billysam1
05-17-2014, 06:58 AM
I know this is an old thread but since then, I have sold my AT 15,s and have picked up a pair of D 9,s . Got them from the original owner bought in 88 .he just did the surrounds and they are in really good condition .I have to say I am very impressed the sound is much better compared to the AT 15,s . These ones will not be going anywhere for a while .

lunchmeat
05-17-2014, 02:15 PM
Chest thumping bass on hard rock music!, like at a concert!! But the mids and highs at high volume really start to hurt the ears! Probably best in a very BIG room. Overall they sound decent. A buddy of mine worked at sun tv around 1990, he said they sold like hotcakes at around 1000 bucks a pair, and hated moving them giant things! Im surprised they sold for that much, he could be wrong, maybe somebody on here can confirm there original selling price, i would kinda like to know for sure.
Ah yes! Sun TV sold a TON of audio equipment in central Ohio during the 70s, 80s and 90s. I spent a lot of hard earned dollars there.