View Full Version : Equalizer to A/V Receiver Help

electro440
12-23-2012, 07:55 PM
Hey everyone,
I know this seems rather ridiculous, but I have an old sansui equalizer which I want to hook up to my Onkyo A/V Receiver. I've looked through step by step guides on it, but it doesn't seem to work. The equalizer has a screen on it which shows the bars moving up and down. As I have it set up now, that works as I play the music, although the main part of the equalizer doesn't work. I adjust it and the sound doesn't change. Is there a setting that I must turn off on my Onkyo? Help please? Thanks!!

Onkyo AV Receiver HT-R530
Sansui Compu-Equalizer SE-9

bryblob
12-23-2012, 08:27 PM
Assuming you put it in the tape loop, make sure you have the tape monitor button on.

electro440
12-23-2012, 08:29 PM
I don't think there is a tape monitor button

bryblob
12-23-2012, 08:31 PM
do you have it in the tape loop?

electro440
12-23-2012, 08:34 PM
Yes I do

bryblob
12-23-2012, 08:40 PM
try putting the input selector to tape. Maybe there is a record selector that you can put on the input that you are using. I had this problem with a Denon amplifier. I found I had to put the input selector to tape, and then have the rec. out selector on cd.

electro440
12-23-2012, 08:47 PM
the input selector... on equalizer or receiver?

bryblob
12-23-2012, 08:50 PM
On the receiver, also make sure you got the right buttons are in the on position on your eq. I know mine there were a few I had to press on my eq. One for eq bypass and other for something else but it had to be on in order for it to work.

electro440
12-23-2012, 08:52 PM
Yah this sansui has like 15 billion buttons that I have no clue what they do.

electro440
12-23-2012, 08:53 PM
If I put the receiver to tape it just won't play anything because I have nothing playing out of the tape.... I'm not quite sure I'm following you.

bryblob
12-23-2012, 09:10 PM
I went through the manual online, and it seems that monitoring is just always on, at least that's what I got from it. I would mess around with your equalizer try different buttons to try to get it to engage.

I was just saying how my integrated amplifier worked with an eq. I had to select tape as the input and use the record selector to cd for it to work. I think this is not the same in your case though.

bryblob
12-23-2012, 09:19 PM
ok, on the back of the eq you have tape in/out and then your main in/out's. Try hooking it up to the main input and ouput if you haven't already. Looks like the input is all the way to the left and output all the way to the right.

I also see there is an on button under "equalizer" section. Make sure that is on and the ouput level is up.

Markw
12-23-2012, 10:42 PM
To insert an equalizer or similar in-line processing device, one needs to insert it somewhere in the circuit path. You must break the circuit, send the signal out to the device, and then return it into the circuit exactly where it left it.

This is generally done with a tape monitor loop circuit, which is activated by a “Tape Monitor” switch/button located on the front panel. This is more than just a tape input and output jack.

I have yet seen an AVR with a “Tape Monitor” switch. Your only hope then is if your AVR has preamp out jacks and access to a power amp in, whether it be jacks in the receiver, or an external power amp.

Please note that some units, like my two-channel NAD 1600 (from 1990) have an “External Processor Loop (EPL) button that does exactly the same thing as a tape monitor loop.

The next few paragraphs deal with using a tape monitor circuit on a stereo receiver. The one possibility for AVR’s are covered a few paragraphs down.

In the good old days of analog two-channel stereo, adding an equalizer was as simple as pie. You simply located the tape monitor output on the back panel, ran an interconnect from there to the eq’s input, and then ran another interconnect from the eq’s output back to the tape monitor’s input on the receiver. You turn on the eq, push the “Tape Monitor” button on the receiver in, and, viola! Your eq is now in the circuit!

Or, to put in a more visual sense
• Amplifier/receiver tape output to equalizer input
• Equalizer output to Amplifier/receiver tape input
• Press “Tape Monitor” button on the Amplifier/receiver and you’re in business/

Likewise, to take the eq out of the circuit, you just pushed the “Tape Monitor” switch again to restore the internal signal path.

Essentially, what the “tape monitor” button does can be described in two steps.

1) When the “tape monitor” button is in its “out” position, the signal is fed internally from the “tape out” jacks to the “tape in” jacks.
2) When you push it in, that internal out/in connection severed, the signal goes out the “tape monitor out” jacks, through the external device, and then back into the “tape monitor in” jacks.

This is why pushing the “tape monitor” button in when nothing is connected to the “tape monitor” in and out jacks, the signal will disappear. It’s going out but never returning.

Now, if one is talking about one of the current AVR's, simply having tape out and tape in jacks on the back panel does not guarantee that it will create the needed "monitor loop" configuration. Again, I have yet seen an AVR with a tape monitor switch.

While many AVR’s might have “tape out” jacks on the back to allow you to send an analog two-channel signal out to an external device, it’s generally a one-way trip.

Likewise, they might have a “tape input” on the back to allow you to play tapes (or any high-level input) through your system, but odds are it must be selected via the input selector, which makes it worthless for the purpose of inserting an eq into the circuit.

The key is to scour the front panel for a "tape loop" or "tape monitor" button. Without that, these two sets of jacks simply allow a signal to be sent out to a tape deck but that tape deck's input must be selected as another input, not the out/in loop, as many have discovered.

So, if you do indeed have the needed "tape monitor loop" then you're good to go but be aware that it will only affect two channels, most likely the front two.

One way to verify you do have what's needed is to take one stereo interconnect and connect the tape output to the tape input in question. Switch the receiver to FM, CD or some other source besides tape, and press the tape monitor switch. It should sound exactly the same. If you lose the signal, there's a problem.

Likewise, not being able to find the "tape monitor" button/switch on the front panel is a problem also.

But, not all hope is lost. In some cases, you can use an eq between the preamp stage and power amp, assuming the receiver offers these I/O options. Some receivers have outputs but no power inputs. In that case, you'll need to feed an external power amp. There’s a downside here in that you might pick up a bit more moise than you would if you had used the tape monitor loop, but sometime you have no choice. Using this option, you’ll need a separate equalizer channel for each channel you want to eq. For a 6.1 channel system (I’ll ignore the sub here), you’ll need six channels of equalizers, or three stereo eq’s to eq all channels.

Remember, when you boost a frequency, you put more demand on the amps in that range and since they don’t increase the amplifiers power at all, all this means is that you’ll run out of headroom sooner. They are best used in a cutting the signal as opposed to boosting it.

charles 1973
12-23-2012, 11:27 PM
I used to think if a reciever has Tape In and Tape Out it Automatically makes it a Monitor Circut. I was mistaken. Those are nothing more than what it says, no Monitor circut is implied on my Onkyo AVR dispite having these connections. One option that might work is to buy an Stereo Input selector if you have more than one RCA Source. Connect your sources to it and the Switch's output to the EQ's Input, now connect the EQ's Output to any Line level (like tape or aux) Inputs on your reciever. If you use a Turntable you may need a Stand alone Phono Stage to feed the Input selector, not the Turtable directly unless like Denon's DP300F TT it has a built in Phono Stage.

bryblob
12-23-2012, 11:38 PM
http://www.manualowl.com/m/Onkyo/HT-R530/Manual/220641

check out page 51.

You could have the equalizer connected after your cd player then out to your amplifier if you don't get tape loop figured out btw.

electro440
12-24-2012, 08:33 PM
Thank you SO much to everyone who has replied! I will try out everyone's suggestions in a couple minutes and get back to you all!
Merry Christmas!!!!

electro440
04-11-2013, 06:58 PM
Wow I'm so sorry guys. Here it is a couple of months later and I haven't even come on. What's wrong with me D: Well, I got the equalizer working, if anyone is interested. Dunno if this is correct, but what I did is use the normal Y-Cable that runs from my computer and I plugged it into the input jacks on the back of the Equalizer. From there, I ran a regular RCA cable from the Output on the Equalizer to the Video 3 output on the receiver. It's been working perfectly for a couple of months now, so I guess it's fine!

bad400
04-11-2013, 08:23 PM
My Yamaha R-V703 5.1 receiver has a tape monitor function.

Is there a specific reason you ran through the video 3?

Glen B
04-12-2013, 07:32 AM
Few modern AVRs, including the Onkyos have a true tape monitor circuit. I guess manufacturers don't find the use of EQs or three head tape decks popular enough in this day and age to include the feature.

ameridian
04-12-2013, 10:04 AM
Few modern AVRs, including the Onkyos have a true tape monitor circuit. I guess manufacturers don't find the use of EQs or three head tape decks popular enough in this day and age to include the feature.

Yamaha AVRs have a 7 band graphic EQ for each channel (except the .1 LFE channel). They can be set manually, according to taste, using the remote or be used in Yamaha's YPAO sound optimization setup.

I suspect most modern AVRs that come with a mike and offering automatic sound optimization have EQs as well. They just don't mention it up front.

PickyEars81
04-12-2013, 04:04 PM
My Onkyo AVR has something like an 11 band EQ built in. It has a tape out, but no monitor IIRC. Pretty much all recording I do now is PC based, so I have an external sound card which lets me monitor it, making the need for a tape monitor circuit moot.