View Full Version : VPI Traveler: unfortunate tonearm issue

KGB1
02-13-2013, 05:17 PM
Afraid I have to revive this topic, perhaps much to the dismay of some, but here goes:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=484977

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=494428

After much anticipation, I received my Traveler today from Music Direct.

Before I decided to go with the Traveler, I knew of this thread, and others, so I spoke directly to VPI and Music Direct to get a sense of the issue and how they would support me if any problems occurred. I made a decision to accept the risk, believing that if I have problems they will be addressed.

A few minutes into the assembling the TT , and in spite of my efforts to be extra gentle and cautious, the tonearm came loose from the gimbal as described in other threads.

I could probably fix it, but I have no intentions of trying based on principal and because if the product does have a manufacturing flaw, it will simply happen again with this specific TT.

It should be noted that others have stated that they recently received a TT that appeared to be a "version 1.1", i.e. the plinth is textured vs. smooth, different platter mat and the logo is in a different location.

Im assuming I received an original or "version 1", as mine has none of those characteristics.

Of course, I phoned Music Direct and they will take care of it based on what I decide, but I have not decided yet.

I need to take a walk and think about it first

Kenny

illini
02-13-2013, 05:20 PM
Please take care that you do nothing to void the warranty.

KGB1
02-13-2013, 05:24 PM

Yes, that is exactly why I am doing nothing to it as it specifically states that some actions can void the warranty.

I'll just box it back up carefully and ship back to Music Direct...

Not sure if I will try another Traveler or do something else. Better if I give myself some time to think it over.

K.

slovell
02-13-2013, 05:30 PM
Buy a Scout, new or used, and never look back. IMHO.
Regards, Sam

ODS123
02-13-2013, 05:30 PM
ugh.. If you absolutely MUST have this TT and no other will suffice, then I'd ship it back along with your cartridge and instruct them to install it. The problem with this, though, is someday you might need to replace the cartridge and you'll have to go it alone, and the TT may at that point be out of warranty.

sheesh. ..Time for VPI to scrap that tonearm (or at least the first iteration). ..There are other tonearm designs that work perfectly well that do not come apart when handled.

sorry to hear of this.

Art K.
02-13-2013, 05:44 PM
Simply ship it back to VPI and also havea talk with the good folks at VPI (if they are available) and make sure you specify that you want the V2 and you want it at the same price for your trouble. I'm certain they will accommodate you.

If you decide to move on there are the Rega RP6 and Clearaudio Concept at a similar price. Next price point up is the Well Tempered Simplex. 2K that I don't regret spending. Good luck to you.

KGB1
02-13-2013, 06:01 PM
It will definitely get shipped back to Music Direct. Must say the packing that VPI uses is outstanding and I'll have fun trying to get it all back in place.

Before I decide which direction to go, though, I'll probably sleep on it.

My first inclination is not to buy online...nothing wrong with buying online, but I would prefer to have the local support, and to be honest, I don't have time to tinker with setup, etc...I want to listen to music on vinyl and not tinker around with the TT.

No VPI dealers near me, so my options are Rega, Music Hall and probably the Marantz TT-S51. Maybe others, but this is what I am aware of.

Although, an AKer did point me in the direction of a VPI Scout (B-stock). Not sure yet what I think about dropping that much cash on something that is potentially scratched or beaten up. Even with B-stock it is $250 + more than the Traveler.

Dunno, I'm sure I'll change my mind once or twice, except for the fact that this one will be shipped back. Incredibly disappointed as I should be listening to Steely Dan right now.

Cheers,

K.

Jim Creek
02-13-2013, 06:03 PM
I exchanged my v1.0 Traveler for the newer version with the longer tonearm pins. That new version has been perfect for a period of about 2+ months. I've removed the tonearm assembly to change carts twice with no issues.

There are other excellent options in that price range as well. The Clearaudio Concept looks interesting. You have many good options. This will all work out well for you in the end. Take your time and think it through.

KGB1
02-13-2013, 06:12 PM
I exchanged my v1.0 Traveler for the newer version with the longer tonearm pins. That new version has been perfect for a period of about 2+ months. I've removed the tonearm assembly to change carts twice with no issues.

There are other excellent options in that price range as well. The Clearaudio Concept looks interesting. You have many good options. This will all work out well for you in the end. Take your time and think it through.

Thanks Jim,

Is your new TT referred to as "Version 2" with the new motor to support international voltages?

K.

Jim Creek
02-13-2013, 06:25 PM
Thanks Jim,

Is your new TT referred to as "Version 2" with the new motor to support international voltages?

K.

No, my version of the Traveler does not have the new universal motor. It does have the new mat, the silk screened logo on top, the tonearm with longer pins and the texured color (blue) finish.

GP49
02-13-2013, 06:30 PM
What's with the 404 Error when attempting to look at the VPI Turntables page?

slippers-on
02-13-2013, 06:56 PM
Yes, that is exactly why I am doing nothing to it as it specifically states that some actions can void the warranty.

Not sure if I will try another Traveler or do something else. Better if I give myself some time to think it over.

K.

Unless you are moving up in the VPI line, I would go with a different brand...one that is proven.

withmusic
02-13-2013, 06:59 PM

Man, I don't know. It seems VPI has major quality control issues from what I have been reading regarding a lot of their products lately. In today's day and age it almost sounds like you void the warranty the minute you sign for delivery of the product.:no: Is nothing good anymore?

Ilikevinyl
02-13-2013, 07:05 PM
Get the VPI Scout "B" stock at Music Direct and save $400!

KGB1
02-13-2013, 07:07 PM
Unless you are moving up in the VPI line, I would go with a different brand...one that is proven.

I'm leaning strongly in that direction...

KGB1
02-13-2013, 07:09 PM
Get the VPI Scout "B" stock at Music Direct and save $400!

It would actually cost me more since it is step up the VPI line, even with the B-Stock discount.

I am considering it, but I have not done my diligence on the Scout so it would take me a bit of time to make the decision.

K.

totem
02-13-2013, 07:14 PM
Is nothing good anymore?

From what I see on a regular basis not much.

Not saying everything is poorly made, but what used to be regarded
as without issue now seems to have issues. At least in my arena.

Perhaps the pendulum will swing back some day.

ODS123
02-13-2013, 07:33 PM
okay, well.. now that the recommendations for other tables are beginning to fly, allow me to make mine...

A new-in-box Technics SL1200mk2 for $1200.

I realize it doesn't anoint it's owner "I'm an audiophile!" the way a VPI, clear audio, etc...might, but in terms of technology, build quality, reliability, parts availability and performance, it trumps everything I was able to put my hands on in the $1500 range. ..Which includes Pro-Jects, Regas, Thorens, Music Halls. The only entrant not yet available when I was looking was the VPI Traveler. ..And I might as well say $2000, b/c the next model up from each of the $1500 I looked at was almost always >$2000.

..Obviously, the best outcome would be for you to quickly resolve your issues with your Traveler, but if you're compelled to look at something else, keep this in mind.

JohnMichael
02-13-2013, 07:54 PM

K.

Music Direct is very helpful when there is a problem.

seminole54
02-13-2013, 08:00 PM
KGB1

Based on the information in your original post and in the other threads you knew that you were taking a chance when you decided to save $200. Music Direct as a dealer is offering to do the only thing they can do under the circumstances and offering to take the TT back and issue you a refund. Since VPI should be through with their move you also have the option of calling Harry or his son at VPI and see if they will do something different like others have. If he has the 1.1 tables still in the plant he may swap you out or you can just pay the extra for the new version. I would not trade a Traveler in for a Rega though and that is from a former Rega owner, they are not my cup of tea and from looking at both and reading on most of the vinyl forums the build quality is not the same. For full disclosure I have never owned a VPI product and like ODS123 am not a SL-1200 "fan boy" and still wonder why he even gets involved in threads about anything other than his beloved SL-1200.

Divotdog
02-13-2013, 08:22 PM
Well, we certainly can’t have a VPI thread around here without a Technics “fanboy” stepping in, that would be unprecedented.

seminole54
02-13-2013, 08:29 PM
Amen

speedle
02-13-2013, 08:46 PM
I'm dismayed to hear this. I was very happy that VPI decided to release a table with a gimbaled arm, since I'm opposed to unipivots, but it seems they have some stuff to figure out yet.

andyecon
02-13-2013, 08:53 PM
In case the cosmetic defects are your concern (OP), I will say that my B-stock Scout has only one problem that I saw- scratches on the plinth beneath the platter. But, since the platter is always in position, I can't even see them. Not that every B-stock will have the same defects, but they are always purely cosmetic and don't affect function anyway. Furthermore, the feet on a B-stock are black instead of silver, which I think looks much better.

KGB1
02-13-2013, 08:53 PM
KGB1

Based on the information in your original post and in the other threads you knew that you were taking a chance when you decided to save $200. Music Direct as a dealer is offering to do the only thing they can do under the circumstances and offering to take the TT back and issue you a refund. Since VPI should be through with their move you also have the option of calling Harry or his son at VPI and see if they will do something different like others have. If he has the 1.1 tables still in the plant he may swap you out or you can just pay the extra for the new version. I would not trade a Traveler in for a Rega though and that is from a former Rega owner, they are not my cup of tea and from looking at both and reading on most of the vinyl forums the build quality is not the same. For full disclosure I have never owned a VPI product and like ODS123 am not a SL-1200 "fan boy" and still wonder why he even gets involved in threads about anything other than his beloved SL-1200.

Yes indeed, I took an informed risk...No secret there. And yes, Music Direct, under the circumstances, will issue a refund. I understand the options with the Traveler too, but I'll need to make up my mind if I am up for further risk with the product. Can't answer that right now.

Rega? I can buy local, but I recently listened to an RP3/Elys cart and wasn't thrilled by it. I also do not like that Rega has permanent RCA cables. Can't get my head around why any company claiming an audiophile product would not allow the user to use their choice of interconnects. The Marantz TT-15S1 also has permanent interconnects. So if I want to buy local that puts me onto a Music Hall mmf-7.1

A more "proven" VPI product perhaps...Scout (B-stock)? But again there is substantial risk as I cannot see the TT before committing to purchase. Unfortunate.

Bloody hell, it is like starting all over...

K.

KGB1
02-13-2013, 08:56 PM
In case the cosmetic defects are your concern (OP), I will say that my B-stock Scout has only one problem that I saw- scratches on the plinth beneath the platter. But, since the platter is always in position, I can't even see them. Not that every B-stock will have the same defects, but they are always purely cosmetic and don't affect function anyway. Furthermore, the feet on a B-stock are black instead of silver, which I think looks much better.

Andy, did you buy your B-stock from a local dealer or online? Basically, were you able to see it first?

K.

andyecon
02-13-2013, 09:03 PM
I wasn't able to see it first (I got mine on Music Direct before realizing there was a dealer close by). My upgrade path went SL1200 -> Dual 1019 -> Rega P3-24 -> Scout and I've kept the Scout in my main system for much longer than the others with no plan of upgrading anytime soon.
Andy, did you buy your B-stock from a local dealer or online? Basically, were you able to see it first?

K.

andyecon
02-13-2013, 09:05 PM
Oh, and my main beef with the SL1200 wasn't sound related (before I make anyone angry), I just find it a bit ugly...

seminole54
02-13-2013, 09:11 PM
KGB1

I think I would still call Harry before I did anything else and see what he has to offer. Jim and others that have recieved the 1.1 have been more than pleased and that included people who have traded in upper level Rega's. As to the B-Stock Scout's I think only the major online dealers like MD, AS and ND have access to them, so you can't see them in person first. I would personally give the USA product manufacturer a chance to make things right before I moved on, but that is just me. According to reviewers whose opinion I trust, this is a great sounding TT.

Bigerik
02-13-2013, 09:16 PM
It is a rare problem (contrary to what some on AK would like us to believe) and VPI is looking after EVERY customer who it occurs to. Contact Harry at VPI and he will make it right for you.

livestrong
02-13-2013, 09:17 PM
VPI Scout B-stock :)

Bigerik
02-13-2013, 09:17 PM
I'm dismayed to hear this. I was very happy that VPI decided to release a table with a gimbaled arm, since I'm opposed to unipivots, but it seems they have some stuff to figure out yet.

No, they have figured it out and corrected things. He got the earlier version that is a bit more delicate. They have released an update and are looking after every customer that has an issue.

Bigerik
02-13-2013, 09:19 PM
From what I see on a regular basis not much.

Not saying everything is poorly made, but what used to be regarded
as without issue now seems to have issues. At least in my arena.

Perhaps the pendulum will swing back some day.

If you see one of these in the flesh, you will realize how incredibly well made they are. NOTHING about these is poorly made. There were some arm issues that came up in shipping, but they are rare (+/- 2%) and the manufacturer is looking after everyone.

KGB1
02-13-2013, 09:26 PM
It is a rare problem (contrary to what some on AK would like us to believe) and VPI is looking after EVERY customer who it occurs to. Contact Harry at VPI and he will make it right for you.

Erik, no question in my mind they will take care of it....I trusted that they would if I had issues when I made the decision to go with the Traveler.

As the Traveler is a fairly new product, things like this can happen. I just have to gauge my appetite for the possibility that it could happen again.

Even though I am not angry about this, it is real hassle and has cost me substantial time. I still think I can give VPI a chance...Scout perhaps? Dunno, but a more proven product may be better suited to my needs.

K.

KGB1
02-13-2013, 09:32 PM
KGB1

I think I would still call Harry before I did anything else and see what he has to offer. Jim and others that have recieved the 1.1 have been more than pleased and that included people who have traded in upper level Rega's. As to the B-Stock Scout's I think only the major online dealers like MD, AS and ND have access to them, so you can't see them in person first. I would personally give the USA product manufacturer a chance to make things right before I moved on, but that is just me. According to reviewers whose opinion I trust, this is a great sounding TT.

I will phone VPI tomorrow for sure...Part of my justification for VPI, is that they are designed and produced in the U.S. and, of course, the great reviews I have read about how great they sound.

I'm not a fanatical patriot or anything, but just appreciate the fact that the there are still artisans in the U.S.

Bigerik
02-13-2013, 09:33 PM
Erik, no question in my mind they will take care of it....I trusted that they would if I had issues when I made the decision to go with the Traveler.

As the Traveler is a fairly new product, things like this can happen. I just have to gauge my appetite for the possibility that it could happen again.

Even though I am not angry about this, but it is real hassle and has cost me substantial time. I still think I can give VPI a chance...Scout perhaps? Dunno, but a more proven product may be better suited to my needs.

K.

I don't think there is anything unproven about it. VPI had one issue with the tonearm, which they corrected. If you want reassurance, talking to people on the internet ain't gonna do it. Get ahold of VPI, express your concerns and they will sort that out for you.

Bigerik
02-13-2013, 09:35 PM
I will phone VPI tomorrow for sure...Part of my justification for VPI, is that they are designed and produced in the U.S. and, of course, the great reviews I have read about how great they sound.

I'm not a fanatical patriot or anything, but just appreciate the fact that the there are still artisans in the U.S.

Tell me how many companies you can call and get the owner on the phone to sort out your issue? It sure ain't gonna happen with some huge conglomerate.

I was admiring a Traveler again yesterday. If I had the funds, that is the table I would get. It's really turned me into a VPI fan.

JohnVF
02-13-2013, 09:38 PM
I third or fourth the advice to contact Harry at VPI. They're good people, contrary to the drama-queens in this thread. I feel your pain but tonearm mounting pins slightly too short is not the end of the world (I'm referring to the responses, not your posts)...you do have options and it sounds like you're taking the smart and thoughtful approach of thinking it through and not making a rash decision on emotion or the drama-queens of the internet. Seriously, we went from your tonearm problem to the end of the industrialized world in like 12 posts!

My VPI Classic was B-stock from Music Direct. It has a very very minor blemish on the back, just a tiny ding in the veneer that would never be noticed, that saved me $500. They will probably tell you what makes it B-stock. I had the luxury of being able to go there and see it in person but they did tell me over the phone what to expect and it was much much less than I imagined. It could b something very minor, or not, but I'm sure they'd tell you. They're also very good folks and they're a huge business because they take care of their customers.

Either way, I'm sorry to hear about this.

ranch 22b
02-13-2013, 09:53 PM
'Sorry to hear that you got one of the "delicate" ones, Kenny. I hope that you are able to buy a turntable that you are happy with soon.

As a potential Traveler buyer, and one who has been following these threads closely, I find it hard to understand why VPI has allowed these Travelers with the potential tonearm problems to remain available on the market. Yes, VPI seems to be quite willing to "make it right" and I applaud them for that but in my mind these reports from unsatisfied owners are tarnishing an otherwise fine reputation, and in addition quite probably hurting sales of the Traveler. Why not pull the potentially troublesome units back from the dealers, put in the longer pins/screws and re-release them?

Bigerik
02-13-2013, 09:57 PM
'Sorry to hear that you got one of the "delicate" ones, Kenny. I hope that you are able to buy a turntable that you are happy with soon.

As a potential Traveler buyer, and one who has been following these threads closely, I find it hard to understand why VPI has allowed these Travelers with the potential tonearm problems to remain available on the market. Yes, VPI seems to be quite willing to "make it right" and I applaud them for that but in my mind these reports from unsatisfied owners are tarnishing an otherwise fine reputation, and in addition quite probably hurting sales of the Traveler. Why not pull the potentially troublesome units back from the dealers, put in the longer pins/screws and re-release them?

Likely because they problems are so rare. Some here with an agenda have made a big deal about it, but something like 2% had the issue. So it's not as if there were a lot of problems even with the first version.

Jim Creek
02-13-2013, 10:03 PM
I just want to reiterate this point; my newer version of the Traveler has no issues. None. I love it. It's a joy to use and listen. Everything about it is high quality and heavy.

KGB1
02-13-2013, 10:06 PM
Likely because they problems are so rare. Some here with an agenda have made a big deal about it, but something like 2% had the issue. So it's not as if there were a lot of problems even with the first version.

I am hoping that no one thinks I have an "agenda"...

It is not life or death to me...it is just a TT and it will be made right, only thing that sucks, is that it cost me time. I could be listening to a record right now!!! :scratch2:

JohnVF
02-13-2013, 10:11 PM
I don't think you have an agenda. I do think you'll end up with an awesome turntable whatever path you take. Good luck to you.

seminole54
02-13-2013, 10:12 PM
We feel your pain, but it will all work out

Bigerik
02-13-2013, 10:18 PM
I am hoping that no one thinks I have an "agenda"...

It is not life or death to me...it is just a TT and it will be made right, only thing that sucks, is that it cost me time. I could be listening to a record right now!!! :scratch2:

Nope. I'm certainly not meaning to imply that you have an agenda at all. You are dealing with an unfortunate issue you have had with your turntable. I feel for you! Sadly, the loss of time is just something that dealing through the mail causes, if you have an issue. If you would have had a local dealer, you would be listening to records now.

ODS123
02-13-2013, 10:45 PM

..This shouldn't be happening. And they certainly could be doing more, like swapping out all v1 units still in retailers stock w/ the v2 units. For VPI to allow it's dealers to continue selling these 1st run units is a mistake. Plain and simple. Too many of these tonearms are falling apart the first time an owner installs a cartridge. And those who didn't encounter this problem are probably at some risk of it happening when they install their second or third cartridge several years down the road. ..At which point the warranty will have long expired. IMHO, anyone who has bought one of these deserves the re-engineered tonearm.

As for those calling me a Technics "fanboy". ..My persistent recommendation of the SL1200 is no more surprising, or irritating, than VPI fans inability to call a spade a spade and say VPI has botched it's launch of their new entry-level table.

Stacker45
02-13-2013, 10:52 PM
Tell me how many companies you can call and get the owner on the phone to sort out your issue? It sure ain't gonna happen with some huge conglomerate.

I was admiring a Traveler again yesterday. If I had the funds, that is the table I would get. It's really turned me into a VPI fan.

''if i had the funds'', ''VPI fan'', don't you mean fanboy?, the way you keep defending and minimizing the problems VPI's having with the Traveler, they should give you one for free, preferably one from the first batch, so you can have a genuine reason to call them up for a chat.

Also, i'd be nice if you could show the same clemency toward peoples who bring up the SL-1200 as you do for everyone else. Like it or not it CAN be an alternative to peoples looking at the Rega RP3, the Clearaudio Concept, and the VPI Traveler.

And regarding you saying that some peoples have an ''agenda'', i think that for a ''moderator'' you sure seem to like lighting fires.

Divotdog
02-13-2013, 11:10 PM
I see Bigriks comments more as putting some perspective on this and not particularly fanning any flames, I am very interested in the VPI but as I try to follow some of the owners threads they always seem to be filled with Technics and drama, neither of which holds any interest to me.

derekva
02-13-2013, 11:12 PM
Two words: Nottingham Analogue

-D

withmusic
02-13-2013, 11:19 PM
okay, well.. now that the recommendations for other tables are beginning to fly, allow me to make mine...

A new-in-box Technics SL1200mk2 for $1200.

I realize it doesn't anoint it's owner "I'm an audiophile!" the way a VPI, clear audio, etc...might, but in terms of technology, build quality, reliability, parts availability and performance, it trumps everything I was able to put my hands on in the $1500 range. ..Which includes Pro-Jects, Regas, Thorens, Music Halls. The only entrant not yet available when I was looking was the VPI Traveler. ..And I might as well say $2000, b/c the next model up from each of the $1500 I looked at was almost always >$2000.

..Obviously, the best outcome would be for you to quickly resolve your issues with your Traveler, but if you're compelled to look at something else, keep this in mind.

It may not scream "audiophile", but that Technics will probably best a lot of the entry level Regas, Projects, Music Halls, VPIs and maybe a bit more than the entry level ones. It will certainly out-last them.
Wish I had one.

Divotdog
02-13-2013, 11:28 PM
and we're off...

JohnVF
02-13-2013, 11:30 PM
and we're off...

Are you surprised?

Divotdog
02-14-2013, 12:30 AM
Are you surprised?

Not even a little.

stopkidding
02-14-2013, 01:25 AM
Its unfortunate that VPI is having quality issues with its initial batch. If anything they should acknowledge the problem and pacify those who are alarmed with these tonearm issues by replacing their tables.

My traveler is a week old, and I bought it locally. It is a fantastic table and sounds and works great. There are no signs of poor craftsmanship. The quality is very good. And this is coming from someone who had not heard of VPI or its product lines until 2 weeks ago. So there is not much vested interest for me to be supporting this.

zebra03
02-14-2013, 01:39 AM
''if i had the funds'', ''VPI fan'', don't you mean fanboy?, the way you keep defending and minimizing the problems VPI's having with the Traveler, they should give you one for free, preferably one from the first batch, so you can have a genuine reason to call them up for a chat.

Also, i'd be nice if you could show the same clemency toward peoples who bring up the SL-1200 as you do for everyone else. Like it or not it CAN be an alternative to peoples looking at the Rega RP3, the Clearaudio Concept, and the VPI Traveler.

And regarding you saying that some peoples have an ''agenda'', i think that for a ''moderator'' you sure seem to like lighting fires.

+1 . If the problem is sorted out , why are they still sending out bad ones . If I was VPI , I would take back all the Version 1's in Music Direct's inventory and replace them with the revised TT . That would put out the fire right now .

gusten
02-14-2013, 03:00 AM
I have no agenda whatsoever in this matter, but I have an experience with similar issues. I was for some years responsible for quality in a rather big company. I have written several times that the only good way to cope with these types of issues, is to, as soon as these problems are known, take all units back and fix all of them.
This is not normally easy and it will cost, but this is how I would have done, there is no other good way as all units have the quality issue, but for some sofar its only potential, but that is really just as bad.
gusten

jleon92f
02-14-2013, 05:49 AM
The "Traveler" is not traveling so well..?:scratch2:

slippers-on
02-14-2013, 08:08 AM
Yes indeed, I took an informed risk...No secret there. And yes, Music Direct, under the circumstances, will issue a refund. I understand the options with the Traveler too, but I'll need to make up my mind if I am up for further risk with the product. Can't answer that right now.

Rega? I can buy local, but I recently listened to an RP3/Elys cart and wasn't thrilled by it. I also do not like that Rega has permanent RCA cables. Can't get my head around why any company claiming an audiophile product would not allow the user to use their choice of interconnects. The Marantz TT-15S1 also has permanent interconnects. So if I want to buy local that puts me onto a Music Hall mmf-7.1

A more "proven" VPI product perhaps...Scout (B-stock)? But again there is substantial risk as I cannot see the TT before committing to purchase. Unfortunate.

Bloody hell, it is like starting all over...

K.

Get a MMF-7.1 without cart...put a 2M Black on it. You will be surprised.

Obsession18
02-14-2013, 08:36 AM
KGB1

Too bad you didn't verify with Music Direct beforehand that you would be getting a version 1.1 table. After sending my tonearm defective version 1.0 table back to the vendor I inquired about getting a 1.1 version replacement - the vendor response was what 1.1 table? That's when a I knew I would have to buy from someone else, thankfully Elusive Disc knew exactly what I wanted and came through for me.

One thing for everyone to keep in mind about this whole tonearm issue is the fact that it is caused by a screw coming loose, I have read elsewhere of people simply calling VPI and being walked through the process of putting everything back together. Nothing is actually "breaking"; if I ever have the issue with mine some Loctite will be applied to the screws.

As for the performance of the table - simply outstanding!

KGB1
02-14-2013, 08:47 AM
KGB1

Too bad you didn't verify with Music Direct beforehand that you would be getting a version 1.1 table. After sending my tonearm defective version 1.0 table back to the vendor I inquired about getting a 1.1 version replacement - the vendor response was what 1.1 table? That's when a I knew I would have to buy from someone else, thankfully Elusive Disc knew exactly what I wanted and came through for me.

Part of the source of my frustration is that I did my diligence with Music Direct, and VPI for that matter, and on more than one occasion.

MD is aware of the issue because they have been dealing with returned tables. I was assured that the table I would receive would not have the tonearm issue.

I'll phone VPI later this morning. Their response will determine my future with VPI. I'm expecting their response to be a helpful one.

KGB1
02-14-2013, 08:49 AM
Get a MMF-7.1 without cart...put a 2M Black on it. You will be surprised.

Hello Slippers,

I've written out my options and that is one of them, although I had not considered the 2M Black. Was considering staying with the Dyanvector 10x5.

K.

Distortions
02-14-2013, 08:54 AM
Boy, they just don't make things the way they used to. Didn't the Traveler get rave reviews in Stereophile recently? Another crappy, new, overpriced brand is Clearaudio.

I would recommend seeking out a vintage Thorens, Dual, Linn, Technics or Yamaha turntable.

grottyash
02-14-2013, 08:59 AM
Except my crappy, overpriced, new Clearaudio out performs my current and previous decks by a country mile.
That includes Technics and Lenco, by the way.

slippers-on
02-14-2013, 09:03 AM
Hello Slippers,

I've written out my options and that is one of them, although I had not considered the 2M Black. Was considering staying with the Dyanvector 10x5.

K.

The D-10x5 is a very good cart as well. Not as expensive yet still very good. The 7.1 is one of those that gets lost in all the discussion, but its a very good table for its price point, especially when you get it without the cart and just add one of your choosing....I'm sure you will be very very pleased. I've been using one for two years now with no problems...and she sounds excellent.....very musical. Its not one of those that carry a big popular name....but will sound just as good and perhaps even better than some of those tables in and above its price range.

DougMac
02-14-2013, 09:25 AM
I have a small suggestion. This is mostly aimed at those who have said they are considering the Traveler.

If you choose to buy one, I wish you years of listening pleasure. If you are one of the rare individuals who encounter a problem, please refrain from sharing it here until you have exhausted all avenues of recourse. I know the OP is disappointed and frustrated and just venting. Yet, it seems that these types of threads throws the problem out of perspective.

I have no dog in this fight and if I had $1200 to plunk down on a TT, I'm not sure the Traveler would be on my short list. I just want VPI to be treated fairly.

Thoughts from the owner of 3 Technics TT's.

JohnVF
02-14-2013, 09:32 AM
I would recommend seeking out a vintage Thorens, Dual, Linn, Technics or Yamaha turntable.

I have a vintage Thorens sitting idle due to probably $500 in work and modifications I need to do to it before its fully functional.

A Linn will require setup that is far in excess of what it would take to fix this arm.

A Dual, unless we're talking perhaps the CS-5000, will be sonically embarrassed by a huge degree by the tables you think are crap. I've made the comparison, and there is no comparison.

There's very few Yamaha tables that will compete with the tables you threw under the bus sonically. There are some...they'll cost as much or more as any of them.

The Technics won't sonically compete with most of those mentioned, either, except with modifications and even then it becomes a question of subjective preference, and the sound will have its own character just like the other tables.

They don't make things like they used to. They make them sound better.

All we have here is a product that needs factory replaced due to an issue that didn't come up until it hit the field. While that's unfortunate, its no need to get into the tired vintage/technics/because everything new sucks debate YET AGAIN.

gusten
02-14-2013, 09:39 AM
I agree with JohnVF, this thread has nothing to do with other TTs. Im sure there was a reason for choosing the Traveler in the first place by the OP, if he get the latest version its a completely different matter.
gusten

KGB1
02-14-2013, 09:40 AM
I have a small suggestion. This is mostly aimed at those who have said they are considering the Traveler.

If you choose to buy one, I wish you years of listening pleasure. If you are one of the rare individuals who encounter a problem, please refrain from sharing it here until you have exhausted all avenues of recourse. I know the OP is disappointed and frustrated and just venting. Yet, it seems that these types of threads throws the problem out of perspective.

I have no dog in this fight and if I had $1200 to plunk down on a TT, I'm not sure the Traveler would be on my short list. I just want VPI to be treated fairly.

I'm sure you mean we'll and I should probably refrain from responding, but sometimes you simply must.

Go back and read, carefully, my posts regarding this issue and you should realize that this is not a "vent". In addition, not once have I berated VPI or even Music Direct...facts are facts and I have stated them clearly as it is my right to do so.

IMHO, forums are for folks who want to discuss a topic: good, bad or otherwise. We come here to have conversations that in some cases assist in making decisions on gear purchases, etc...if we wait unit the bitter end to discuss something we may miss good advice, based on other's experience, that could assist in making better decisions.

zebra03
02-14-2013, 09:45 AM
It will definitely get shipped back to Music Direct. Must say the packing that VPI uses is outstanding and I'll have fun trying to get it all back in place.

Before I decide which direction to go, though, I'll probably sleep on it.

My first inclination is not to buy online...nothing wrong with buying online, but I would prefer to have the local support, and to be honest, I don't have time to tinker with setup, etc...I want to listen to music on vinyl and not tinker around with the TT.

No VPI dealers near me, so my options are Rega, Music Hall and probably the Marantz TT-S51. Maybe others, but this is what I am aware of.

Although, an AKer did point me in the direction of a VPI Scout (B-stock). Not sure yet what I think about dropping that much cash on something that is potentially scratched or beaten up. Even with B-stock it is $250 + more than the Traveler.

Dunno, I'm sure I'll change my mind once or twice, except for the fact that this one will be shipped back. Incredibly disappointed as I should be listening to Steely Dan right now.

Cheers,

K.

OP brought up options for other brands of TT. It's his thread .

KOWHeigel
02-14-2013, 09:57 AM
Please let's not continue this VPI vs. Technics BS. OP posted in part to let everyone know about his problem and probably in part to vent a little. Hopefully VPI and MD take care of him. If not he will be sure to let us know.

I say this as an owner of both a VPI Scout and a Technics SL1200

jeremyjustic
02-14-2013, 10:07 AM

if you were going to buy one of these tables wouldnt you want to know if others had problems? why should he keep slient? how is VPI being treated unfairly? as soon as they realized that the Gen 1 traverlers had a serious tonearm issue all of them should have been recalled from distributers and replaced with the newer 1.1 (or whatever they are calling it) model. Good companies turn into bad companies when the general public let stuff like this slide, if they are not called out when they get it wrong then what is the incentive to get it right?

DougMac
02-14-2013, 10:21 AM
Go back and read, carefully, my posts regarding this issue and you should realize that this is not a "vent". In addition, not once have I berated VPI or even Music Direct...facts are facts and I have stated them clearly as it is my right to do so.

I should not have mentioned you because I think you were being fair. I guess what I was trying to address is a case in the future where the mere number of posts about the situation might unfairly skew opinion.

Yes, I meant well, but maybe it didn't come across that way. I'm not trying to stifle conversation, just make sure that VPI and their dealers are given a chance to make things right. If they can't resolve the situation to the satisfaction of the purchaser, that is certainly information that should be shared with potential customers.

ODS123
02-14-2013, 10:27 AM
I should not have mentioned you because I think you were being fair. I guess what I was trying to address is a case in the future where the mere number of posts about the situation might unfairly skew opinion.

Yes, I meant well, but maybe it didn't come across that way. I'm not trying to stifle conversation, just make sure that VPI and their dealers are given a chance to make things right. If they can't resolve the situation to the satisfaction of the purchaser, that is certainly information that should be shared with potential customers.

I think your concern for VPI is well placed. ..They're a small, family-owned business, the kind of which our hobby has been built from. ..But you cannot expect people to refrain from expressing their opinion. ..That is what forums such as this are for.

And KGB1, in my opinion, has been extremely measured and fair in telling his story.

jblnut
02-14-2013, 10:32 AM
The OP is not the only one to have a VPI purchase through MD not go smoothly. My own odyssey of calls and emails over an 8 week span to get a 50 cent resistor (to cure the "Classic power on/off pop") was enough to leave a very bad taste in my mouth.

MD was essentially useless and VPI's customer support left a whole lot to be desired.

I still love my classic Yamahas (PX2 and PF800) - both of which continue to operate flawlessly, but will admit the VPI is perhaps the sonic champ in the house. I need another AT33EV for the PX2 to finally settle the score...

jblnut

rcspkramp
02-14-2013, 11:12 AM
I'm weighing in on this at a late stage, but I have an original production Traveler that has been perfect. No problems whatsoever. To the OP, if you give VPI another chance and they don't perform to your standards, then they don't deserve your business. The other new TT I'd consider is the Clearaudio Concept. And FWIW I also own an SL-1200 but prefer the Traveler purely from a sound quality standpoint.

KGB1
02-14-2013, 11:55 AM
Good news to report as I believe that the problem is solved.

Spoke to VPI first and they had no objections to doing what it took to solve the issue, but their first response was for me to send them the tonearm and they would fix it by reassembling. Not exactly what I had in mind, but they would have gone further. They were friendly, helpful and professional.

Next call was to Music Direct. I've been working with the same guy throughout this entire process. I pursued the B-stock Scout as I simply made the decision that I was finished with the Traveler. Just my personal preference.

After a lengthy conversation...long story, short: MD offered an A-stock Scout (JMW 9t tonearm) and the Dynavector 10x5 HOMC for: $1,742.59 all in.

I ended up spending an additional $200, but in the end, I think I will have a better TT. Money well spent.

All in all, a happy ending, assuming the Scout arrives intact.

Cheers to all for the responses...some were helpful and some not, but that is life in a forum.

PS: I think the Technics is a stunningly ugly TT...haha! Only joking!

Kenny

andyecon
02-14-2013, 11:58 AM
Wow, that is a great move by MD! I was wondering if they wouldn't give a discount on Scouts now that VPI is putting out the version with a Traveler style platter.

Jim Creek
02-14-2013, 11:59 AM

After a lengthy conversation...long story, short: MD offered an A-stock Scout (JMW 9t tonearm) and the Dynavector 10x5 HOMC for: $1,742.59 all in.

I ended up spending an additional $200, but in the end, I think I will have a better TT. Money well spent.

Kenny

Excellent resolution, congrats on the new Scout Let us know how you like it.

stopkidding
02-14-2013, 12:37 PM
Wow! That's great deal. Now I wish my traveler had a broken tonearm :)

ODS123
02-14-2013, 12:43 PM

Kenny

Huh?!!?? What!! ..That's an outrage! ..How could you possibly??!!

just kidding too, of course:) ..so glad to hear it's worked out for you in the end. ..Sounds like the dealer stepped up.

KGB1
02-14-2013, 12:50 PM
Wow! That's great deal. Now I wish my traveler had a broken tonearm :)

I was a little surprised to be honest...I was working toward a deal on the B-stock, basically the B-Scout for just slightly more than what I paid for the Traveler/cart combo and he would not/could not budge...

I explained that my next move was to buy a Music Hall sourced locally and he threw the out the possibility of the A-Scout at a B-Scout price, but said "let me call you back" as he needed to get approval based on my unfortunate experience.

Called me back 15 minutes later and actually offered the A-Scout at a slightly better price than the B-Scout.

My only recourse was to say: "place the order now"... :D

I guess I was due a little luck, but I won't be fully satisfied until the Scout is plugged and spinning records...

K.

KGB1
02-14-2013, 12:55 PM
Huh?!!?? What!! ..That's an outrage! ..How could you possibly??!!

just kidding too, of course:) ..so glad to hear it's worked out for you in the end. ..Sounds like the dealer stepped up.

Nothing more important than a sense of humor!!! :smoke:

I did actually looked at the Technics, though...Looks a little DJ-ish to me, but reviews call it is a solid performer, and reliable.

KOWHeigel
02-14-2013, 12:59 PM
Fantastic news. Excellent resolution to a tough situation. I am sure you will love your Scout.

Purpleamber
02-14-2013, 02:05 PM
WOW! Talk about a distributor going the extra mile to make it right! I might just order the Traveler and break the arm myself for a deal like that! (Just Kiddin!)

Good Luck with that Scout, I'm pretty sure you will be in heaven the minute "Can't Buy a Thrill" hits that player for the first time!

And thanks for keepin it real through your entire experience.

slippers-on
02-14-2013, 07:15 PM

Spoke to VPI first and they had no objections to doing what it took to solve the issue, but their first response was for me to send them the tonearm and they would fix it by reassembling. Not exactly what I had in mind, but they would have gone further. They were friendly, helpful and professional.

Next call was to Music Direct. I've been working with the same guy throughout this entire process. I pursued the B-stock Scout as I simply made the decision that I was finished with the Traveler. Just my personal preference.

Cheers to all for the responses...some were helpful and some not, but that is life in a forum.

Kenny

Great news! So basically they gave you a cart for free! dang....can't beat that!

Divotdog
02-14-2013, 08:42 PM
Outstanding! :thmbsp:

ranch 22b
02-14-2013, 09:03 PM
Congrats! I don't think you could have written a better script. Weird though that Music Direct jumped up to the "A-stock" Scout so easily. Maybe they knew you had an ongoing VPI/MD thread at AK!

Kenny, I hope you'll give us a review of your Scout + Dynavector 10x5 someday. I bet that's going to prove to be a great combo.

KGB1
02-14-2013, 09:24 PM
Congrats! I don't think you could have written a better script. Weird though that Music Direct jumped up to the "A-stock" Scout so easily. Maybe they knew you had an ongoing VPI/MD thread at AK!

Kenny, I hope you'll give us a review of your Scout + Dynavector 10x5 someday. I bet that's going to prove to be a great combo.

I will definitely provide my view of the Scout / 10x5 once I get things going...

I found it it a bit odd too that they would not deal on the B-stock and then offered me a deal on the A-stock. My assumption was that it would be the other way around so I went in heavy on the B-stock. One thing that may have influenced them, though, is that they did not have any B-stock available and it could have been as long as a month (or more) before they got any.

K.

Catcher10
02-14-2013, 11:45 PM
Nice turn of events!!

Panotaker
02-15-2013, 07:55 AM
I bet they got plenty of Traveler B stocks!

zebra03
02-15-2013, 08:37 AM

Kenny

Good deal . I'm glad it worked out . MD better hope nobody else sees this or they will have a run on the Scouts. :D

KGB1
02-15-2013, 11:11 AM
Perhaps old news, but I think I know why MD was willing to deal on the A-Scout.

In looking at the VPI's web site, they removed the Scout from their lineup under "The VPI Scout Series". It is still listed on the "Price List", but the price is N/A.

Unsure of the history, but the Scout 1.1, I would assume, is meant to replace the Scout.

Also unsure of the material changes from Scout to Scout 1.1, but I can see, at a minimum, that the acrylic platter was replaced with aluminum.

The entire Scout series use the JMW 9t Tonearm...

Anyway, looks like MD might be motivated to move the Scout inventory so if looking for a Scout, you may be able to work a favorable deal.

K.

andyecon
02-15-2013, 11:15 AM
Isn't it interesting how VPI switched all their platters to acrylic, now to aluminum... I wonder if they will take returns on the upgraded aluminum platter because I'd be interested in A/B'ing them.

KGB1
02-15-2013, 11:22 AM
Isn't it interesting how VPI switched all their platters to acrylic, now to aluminum... I wonder if they will take returns on the upgraded aluminum platter because I'd be interested in A/B'ing them.

I was looking to see if there is an upgrade path for the Scout to go from an acrylic to aluminum platter.

I see an aluminum platter for the "Classic" on their price list, but I do not see one for the Scout. Dunno, perhaps that platter is suitable for the Scout too because it states "improvement to any VPI turntable". It's not inexpensive, though, at $800...At that price, not sure it would make financial sense, though.

I have no idea what the sonic differences would be between acrylic vs. aluminum.

K.

KGB1
02-15-2013, 11:38 AM
Here is a bit about the Scout 1.1 on Elusive Disc:

http://www.elusivedisc.com/VPI-SCOUT-11-TURNTABLE-WITH-JMW-9T-TONEARM/productinfo/HW-SCOUT119T/

Quote:

"Coming Soon! Pre-Order Now!

Celebrating over 10 years in Production! VPI brings you its rebirth! Re-Introducing the Best Selling VPI Table of All-Time... The Scout 1.1 Turntable! Better than the old one, better than it should be for this price!!!

Featuring a NEW 9 1/2lb Damped Aluminum Platter fitted with a Special Mesh Sorbothane-Like Mat for Better Isolation and Better Sound!"

Purpleamber
02-15-2013, 11:47 AM
I was looking to see if there is an upgrade path for the Scout to go from an acrylic to aluminum platter.

I see an aluminum platter for the "Classic" on their price list, but I do not see one for the Scout. Dunno, perhaps that platter is suitable for the Scout too because it states "improvement to any VPI turntable". It's not inexpensive, though, at $800...At that price, not sure it would make financial sense, though.

I have no idea what the sonic differences would be between acrylic vs. aluminum.

K.

The aluminum platter comes standard on the Classic. Hence they named it the "Classic Aluminum Platter". It is an upgrade for your Scout should you choose to pursue it. If you are patient they come up for sale on the usual used gear sites at somewhat reduced prices. Most sell fairly quickly.

I have heard reports that some prefer the original acrylic, others the upgraded aluminum. Seems it is a personal preference item. I happen to love the look of the aluminum, but looks don't necessarily translate to better sound. YMMV.

KGB1
02-15-2013, 11:58 AM
The aluminum platter comes standard on the Classic. Hence they named it the "Classic Aluminum Platter". It is an upgrade for your Scout should you choose to pursue it. If you are patient they come up for sale on the usual used gear sites at somewhat reduced prices. Most sell fairly quickly.

I have heard reports that some prefer the original acrylic, others the upgraded aluminum. Seems it is a personal preference item. I happen to love the look of the aluminum, but looks don't necessarily translate to better sound. YMMV.

Thanks for the clarification...

I tend to agree that the aluminum probably looks better. AT least IMHO.

I'm sure I'll stay with the acrylic for quite some time before I start considering upgrades.

K.

Purpleamber
02-15-2013, 12:27 PM
I'd probably wait to see what the Scout 1.1 platter would sell for when it gets released. A little smaller profile, but that Scout 1.1 with the aluminum platter is a looker. As posted on the VPI site, all the upgrades included in the 1.1 will be upgradable in the version you are getting. So, you have a pretty clear upgrade path laid out in front of you.

http://toons.artie.com/alphabet/punctuation/arg-dollar-65-trans.gif

KGB1
02-15-2013, 12:39 PM
I'd probably wait to see what the Scout 1.1 platter would sell for when it gets released. A little smaller profile, but that Scout 1.1 with the aluminum platter is a looker. As posted on the VPI site, all the upgrades included in the 1.1 will be upgradable in the version you are getting. So, you have a pretty clear upgrade path laid out in front of you.

http://toons.artie.com/alphabet/punctuation/arg-dollar-65-trans.gif

Cool looking dog, by the way...

Purpleamber
02-15-2013, 12:45 PM
Thanks! 110lbs of mush. 4 years old and I'm still trying to convince him that he's a tad too large to be a lapdog.

KGB1
02-15-2013, 12:49 PM
Thanks! 110lbs of mush. 4 years old and I'm still trying to convince him that he's a tad too large to be a lapdog.

LoL, that is great!!

I have an 80lb black lab that thinks he is human, and the wife apparently agrees as he is at the vet getting his teeth cleaned. Imagine my shock when I learned that would cost me $300!!!

Love dogs, I'd probably rather be with a dog than most humans...lol.

Jim Creek
02-15-2013, 12:55 PM
Here is a bit about the Scout 1.1 on Elusive Disc:

http://www.elusivedisc.com/VPI-SCOUT-11-TURNTABLE-WITH-JMW-9T-TONEARM/productinfo/HW-SCOUT119T/

Quote:

"Featuring a NEW 9 1/2lb Damped Aluminum Platter fitted with a Special Mesh Sorbothane-Like Mat for Better Isolation and Better Sound!"

That describes the Traveler platter! It weighs about 10lbs, is aluminum damped with stainless steel, and a mesh Sorbothane mat. (I just looked at the link. That new Scout platter looks identicle to the Traveler platter. Wait, I take that back. The new Scout platter looks to be a little thicker.)

Purpleamber
02-15-2013, 01:04 PM
Love dogs, I'd probably rather be with a dog than most humans...lol.

:thmbsp::thmbsp::thmbsp::thmbsp::thmbsp:

andyecon
02-15-2013, 02:40 PM
I've emailed VPI about when the aluminum Scout platter will be available and how much it will cost. I'll post it on one of these VPI threads whenever they get back to me.
That describes the Traveler platter! It weighs about 10lbs, is aluminum damped with stainless steel, and a mesh Sorbothane mat. (I just looked at the link. That new Scout platter looks identicle to the Traveler platter. Wait, I take that back. The new Scout platter looks to be a little thicker.)

Jim Creek
02-15-2013, 04:50 PM
I weighed my Traveler's platter on my bathroom scale. A rather primative method but it weighs 7.5lbs - 8lbs. The new Scout platter reportedly weighs 9.5lbs. The Traveler's platter looks very similar to the new Scout platter with the grooves and Sorbothane mat, not quite as thick though. Still, a nice hefty aluminum, damped with stainless steel, platter comes with the Traveler.

andyecon
02-15-2013, 05:18 PM
Not saying I would do it, but do you know if the periphery clamp works with the Traveler?
I weighed my Traveler's platter on my bathroom scale. A rather primative method but it weighs 7.5lbs - 8lbs. The new Scout platter reportedly weighs 9.5lbs. The Traveler's platter looks very similar to the new Scout platter with the grooves and Sorbothane mat, not quite as thick though. Still, a nice hefty aluminum, damped with stainless steel, platter comes with the Traveler.

KGB1
02-15-2013, 05:19 PM

Hi Jim,

What do you think abut the sorbothane mat? I've not seen it in person since the Traveler I just sent back had the old style mat.

In photos it looks a little like what my wife uses to protect the kitchen cabinets.

K.

Jim Creek
02-15-2013, 05:24 PM
Not saying I would do it, but do you know if the periphery clamp works with the Traveler?

I don't know. That would be a question for VPI tech support. I don't see why not if the spindles are the same, not sure about the spindles though.

Jim Creek
02-15-2013, 05:28 PM
Hi Jim,

What do you think abut the sorbothane mat? I've not seen it in person since the Traveler I just sent back had the old style mat.

In photos it looks a little like what my wife uses to protect the kitchen cabinets.

K.

It's heavier than shelf liners. It's glued in place in about a dozen spots. It feels like it could easily peel off the platter. I have mixed feelings about the appearance.