View Full Version : Scored some Advent 6003 speakers today. Are these rare?

tygr
04-06-2013, 08:16 PM
My wife calls me from her cellphone today and says she found some large, heavy speakers in the back of the local thrift store for $9.99 each. They say Advent on the bottom, she tells me.

So I hop in the truck and cruise on over and they are a pair of 6003s in pretty good condition. Never heard of Advent 6003s before. They needed the woofers to be refoamed and one donut mid to be replaced...so I bought them.

They have the same drivers in them that my Maestros do, and I really like my Maestros. So I figure for the price and the repair cost I might have a rather rare pair of Advents here.

Whadd'ya think?

BigElCat
04-06-2013, 10:08 PM
http://mail.audiokarma.net/forums/showthread.php?p=714420

Here's all I've found so far. I bet they're excellent.

Here's the definitive Advent thread:http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=126376

I'd put Dayton aluminum cone woofers in, rather than refoam, if they were mine.

89grand
04-06-2013, 10:22 PM
I'd refoam the original woofers no doubt. Definitely do not put some random drivers in there, it'll make them more than likely sound worse, and destroy whatever value they have.

Ilikevinyl
04-06-2013, 10:30 PM
I'd refoam the original woofers no doubt. Definitely do not put some random drivers in there, it'll make them more than likely sound worse, and destroy whatever value they have.

I totally agree. I just did that with my Advent Baby II speakers. Replaced the woofer and it didn't sound the same. Luckily I found another pair in mint condition for $16 at a thrift store. Definitely keep the woofer!

Mystery
04-06-2013, 10:52 PM
Refoam and avoid generic drivers.

tygr
04-06-2013, 11:02 PM
OK, here's the latest. I took the woofers out of my Maestros and put them in the 6003s. Now all I can get is a very faint sound out of both speakers. WTF. Could both x-overs be bad?

What else could I be overlooking?

tygr
04-07-2013, 08:49 AM
As it turned out, all is well. My integrated amp does not like to run the B speakers and the C speakers at the same time. My sub is on the C output, turned it off and voila', had sound from the 6003s.

I'm impressed, to say the least. The cabs are different than my Maestros (in shape of course), the mids in the Maestros are contained in their own isolated and sealed tube. Not so with the 6003s, mellowing the mid drivers substantially, and the bass response is really improved over the Maestros. These speakers sound BIG and the imaging and soundstage is waay better than the Maestros.

These speakers go great with my Yamaha amp. They just manage to mellow the amp's sound enough to sound marvelous! I'm really tickled about them.

The wifey comes through for sure! I think I owe her dinner.

GD70
04-07-2013, 09:47 AM
So, where's the pics????
Sounds like an excellent score!

tygr
04-07-2013, 02:00 PM
Here is how they look right now:

http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af46/tygr1/DSC_0004-2_zpsd78b70a3.jpg

http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af46/tygr1/DSC_0005-2_zpsaed7787d.jpg

GD70
04-07-2013, 02:08 PM
Here is how they look right now:

http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af46/tygr1/DSC_0004-2_zpsd78b70a3.jpg

http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af46/tygr1/DSC_0005-2_zpsaed7787d.jpg

Nice looking speaker. How big are the woofers?

tygr
04-07-2013, 02:27 PM
!0" woofers, 5 inch mids, 2" tweets.

dc270
04-07-2013, 02:35 PM
PM me if you want the dome mids- I am pretty sure I nave a couple!
Looking good!
DC

charlie2951
04-07-2013, 02:57 PM
Wow, congratulations on a truly rare score. I've been looking for a pair of 6003s for a long time, and for $20 that is steal.

Some information: The 6003 was the very first 3 way Advent and the very first Advent made by Jensen. It was supposed to be the top of the line Advent, continuing the x002 series at the time. The first number was model and the last was how many drivers it had. So the 2002 was the first model with a 6.5in woofer and it was a two way. The 6003 was the 6th model (top of the line) and it was a 3 way, hence the three at the end. Evidently (and unfortunately) the model didn't sell well and was expensive to produce with its big beautiful cabinet. Most traditional Advent fans were furious that Jensen's first move had been to design a 3 way speaker (Advent has always been 2 way). It was only around for 3 years or so, 1984-1987, before it was replaced by the Maestro in 1987. The Maestro matched the Jensen-Advent theme at the time, which was maple block and top with black sides.

The first move you'll want to make is to replace that donut mid-range. I was able to find one on ebay for only $20, and there are a few on right now. I think it is worth it, but if not, you can actually remove the felt piece on the end and push out the dimple. Just buy some felt and glue it back on. I did it to mine before eventually just replacing it. The dimples in the mid-range DO affect the sound.

Also, where did you get those woofers? I am far from having complete Advent knowledge, but the woofers I've seen in most Maestros and 6003s are different from those. You may want to seek out original drivers.

I was fortunate enough to come across a pair of Maestros earlier this year which I snapped up (see my profile picture). I'm in the process of restoring them. Congratulations on your 6003s!! :thmbsp:

89grand
04-07-2013, 03:15 PM
If I'm not mistaken, that's an Advent car audio woofer in there. Definitely not the original. I'd be sourcing some original woofers as well.

charlie2951
04-07-2013, 03:24 PM
If I'm not mistaken, that's an Advent car audio woofer in there. Definitely not the original. I'd be sourcing some original woofers as well.

So that's what they are. I didn't even know Advent made car audio woofers! Either way, definitely get some replacements, those speakers are worth it! Also, I just noticed that the dome tweeter has a few dimples. You should try to get the dimples out with tape or a vaccum. When I "undimpled" my 5002s I did notice a difference in the high end.

tygr
04-07-2013, 04:46 PM
Wow, car woofers? You guys are sharp so I'm sure that's what they are. Thanks! Actually I just put them in to get an idea of the sound. I will be refaoming the originals soon. No wonder bass response is so good but the speakers sound laid back. LMAO...what a dope!

tygr
04-07-2013, 06:02 PM
Repair kit has been ordered.

tygr
04-09-2013, 05:30 PM
So, I'm missing out on a lot of frequencies (lower mids, upper bass) with the car speakers, is that right

Doug G.
04-09-2013, 06:37 PM
Don't know about that (except having drivers other than original will ALWAYS affect the sound, usually negatively) but you owe your wife a lot more than just dinner! :D

Oh, and thanks for that info regarding Jensen-era Advents, Charlie.

Doug

tygr
04-09-2013, 06:38 PM
Don't know about that (except having drivers other than original will ALWAYS affect the sound, usually negatively) but you owe your wife a lot more than just dinner!

Doug

Haha...guess your right.

loose ends
04-13-2013, 12:18 PM
I got a pair of 6003s over a year ago. Refoamed the woofers and put some Dayton polys in the crossover and covered them and put them against the wall in the shop. They sat there with the other speakers I need to get to until a couple of weeks ago. Recently I've sold a bunch of restored speakers so I had some room in the "try out - break in" area. Hooked them up with my laptop for a music source gave them some volume and went down to the lake for a day of fishing. Later that day I sat down to listen for a while and was pleasantly surprised. Sound very good. And, can be placed close to a wall. They also look great. Heavy cabinets. I have to figure how to make some grills because mine came without. Somebody will be very happy with these speakers.