View Full Version : DCM TF250 information?

hpsenicka
11-08-2005, 09:44 AM
A friend of mine picked up a used pair of DCM Time Frame speakers, TF250 to be specific.

He has owned a pair of the original DCM Time Windows for about 20 years, and picked up the TF250 for use in a bedroom system.

Anybody have any technical details on these speakers? THey appear to have a 6.5" driver and a very small (3/4" ??) tweeter.

I removed the speaker terminal at the rear of the cabinet to seee if I could find the crossover ( hoping to recap them) , but all I could see indide was the molded tube for the tuned port. I can't find any way of getting inside the cabinets short of taking it apart piece by piece... seems like it would be a destructive process. Has anyone learned of a trick to get inside these puppies without destroying them?

The TF250 sound and look pretty good... no signs of abuse! I've taken them into temporary custody, and get to enjoy them for a few days until they move to their permanent home.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome!

slotracer
01-02-2006, 04:40 PM
ok, here's the way (sorry was doing searches on DCMs and ended up back here:-) Should a started here, could have saved a bunch of time for you.
The oak top is held on by friction between 2 dowels and the top of the enclosure. Carefully pry the oak "caps" off. Now puill the fabric "stocking" away from the top of the enclosure and carefully pull it towards the floor. Exposing the tweeter and woofer. The drivers are super cheesy, but the speakers sound remarkedly good for their price when new (I sold these when they were new), and they never failed to impress..
The enclosure is even cheesier:-)

tgunner
07-15-2006, 07:32 PM
Hey, I just got a pair of these speakers, but the woofer on one is messed up. Are these 6", or 6.5"? Where would be the best place to get a replacement woofer cheap? (I only paid $5 for the pair, so I can put a little more into them, but not much!)

dr*audio
07-15-2006, 09:18 PM
Most of the DCMs I have worked on have Polyester / Mylar caps in the crossover, not electrolytics. I wouldn't bother recapping them. Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

slotracer
07-16-2006, 12:35 AM
If you know a DIY type loudspeaker guy (or gal), see if the driver can be measured for Thiel/Small parameters.

They are super cheesy tweets and mid/woofs, with even cheesier cabinets , (and probably crossovers). But they do sound good :-)

No markings on the back of the drivers. DCM may still have stock, or used the drivers in other, more recent projects.

OMI
07-16-2006, 09:16 AM
Here is the company link
http://www.dcmspeakers.com/

Clarence
01-13-2007, 11:08 PM
pair of these on Detroit CL for $175.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/ele/261964014.html

also another pair, for $100.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/ele/262221654.html

do these come up often?

no relation etc

thedelihaus
01-14-2007, 09:33 PM
Clarence, they come up fairly often. You can usually get the Timeframe 400s and 600s for $50 to $150, though, so I'd say the 250s being sold are greatly overpriced.

Heck, there's a pair of 600s far from me I'm trying to land- no takers for about 3 weeks now, at $50. If they were closer, they'd be with me.

Quagh
09-02-2009, 11:04 AM
Found a pair of these for about 100 bucks and they seem ok. Wondering if they are worth getting? Any issues with getting the socks back up w/o damaging them?

She also has a Garrard GT-50 and some modern Yamaha stuff to throw into the deal. Whaddya think?

KingBubba
09-02-2009, 11:52 AM
Take the bottom off and peel the cover up. Less strtching on te cloth.

Quagh
09-02-2009, 12:11 PM
Are they worth 50 bucks or so? She said they sound ok but I don't know what her definition of that is. She has these, a small newer set of AR's and TT and other gear. She did say that one of the terminal caps is off but since I don't know what DCM's look like I don't know if that's an issue.

The DCM website is pokey as hell and as I recall they didn't have much info on old stuff anyway.