View Full Version : Luxman R-3055

misterearl
11-08-2005, 10:49 AM
I'll be picking up a Luxman R-3055 tonight - original owner, stored for some time, reportedly working perfectly. I'm psyched :D There seems to be somewhat of a dearth of info on Luxman products in general, and receivers in particular, on the web. Most of what little I've turned up so far is for the R-1xxx model series. Does anyone have a guess, or better, on what differences there were between the R-1xxx and R-3xxx series? Any general comments on this receiver? Thanks.

Holst
11-08-2005, 11:18 AM
Late 70's unit, it went for 550 new, it's from a prime era in Luxman history and they went through a bit of a restyle when Radio Shack started selling recievers that looked a lot like there's. I believe under the hood you'll find a four gang, three filter tuner, dedicated headphone amp to go along with a nice pre-and power section. You should be slap happy with your new baby.

bully
11-08-2005, 11:25 AM
Orion says 55 wpc, too.

bully
11-08-2005, 12:29 PM
Just noticed you've just posted a few times. Keep us informed about your 3055 and how she sounds to you.
Vintagestereo is more used to the big TOTL models (well, so am I) so we get a bit jaded sometimes.
What speakers are you going to be using? That mating really makes all the difference.

mhardy6647
11-08-2005, 12:46 PM
A few photos would be helpful to me. I always liked Luxman stuff a lot, but I am no expert on the marque. I assume the 1050 and 1070 are the bronze-faced receivers with the big knob in the center? I remember Lux receivers with analog meters and other ones with very similar cosmetics with LED 'dot graph' meters.

FWIW, I have an R-1030, which is certainly (?) later. I haven't done much with it, but it seems OK. The Lux tuners were generally quite good.

misterearl
11-08-2005, 01:40 PM
Thanks to all for the information. Looks like I may have succumbed to the bug without enough research - wish AK hadn't gone down those few days. OTOH, I am, as Bully observed, a complete and total newbie to collecting vintage stuff, so this R-3055 represents a cheap ($32) entry. I can only hope to become as jaded as Bully and Vintagestereo ;^)

My meager speaker collection is a pair of AR-4xs, a pair of Dynaco A-25s, a pair of small Mission (Denon) '80s 2-ways, a really cute pair of Ampex 815 4" one-ways, and a work-in-progress of renovating 2 Precision Acoustics (local Advent/AR copy) ~1.6 ft3 boxes with ADS 10" woofers, Vandersteen 4" mids and JBL 1" dome tweets on KLH crossovers. They'll be mutt speakers!

Several weeks ago I bought a Project One IIIB receiver, replacing my circa 1992 black POS Yamaha. The difference is absolutely amazing. At nominally the same power output, the Project One just shames the Yamaha, which will become the garage unit or some such. So it'll be interesting to hear the Luxman next to the Project One.

Thanks again.

Holst
11-08-2005, 02:05 PM
The R-3055 came after the R-1xxx series and was considered quite a step down in terms of stying and performance from the R-1xxx series

The R-3055 is still pre-Alpine, and shows up in the same period as the Labratory Standard series.

However, if you really want to experience a great Luxman Receiver my advice is to get your hands on a R-1050 (about the same power) or, better yet, a R-1070, and see which you like better. Those models are considered the "classic" Luxman receivers and yet they can be had quite reasonably on e-Bay. You won't be sorry.

So true!!!!! Bought my R 1050 new, still have it, won't sell it. I still think the R-3055 should kick butt.

misterearl
11-08-2005, 03:54 PM
I crave the power! And the A-25s drink it up. But good cheap deals are rare here (I think all the thrift stores have back-room deals going on) and have you seen recent ebay prices for big-Watt units?