View Full Version : Still looking at under $1000 integrated amps

KevinCorr
05-27-2013, 07:06 PM
edit: and under $2K great gear included in this thread.

Opinions wanted please.
This is for MY own personal room, a dedicated music, reading hideaway. No tv, no computer here. That is all for the Living room and "hers". This is simply a 2 channel with turntable, cdp and fm.

The Rega Brio R is a leading contender. I know some here love it.
Another choice Marantz PM8004 cost just a little more than BrioR. It is an Absolute Sound (AS) best, along with the BrioR. They also like Audio Analog Crecendo.
After these you have to jump to $1500 and up.

~Must have good phono for the turntable
~Must be better than the current amps: Rega Mira 3, Onix OA21s and Rotel 1070 integrated amps.
~tube ok, never had one
~New or used ok
~No remote ok
~No net web stuff, usb, streaming etc needed.
~Size, space is no problem as it is MY room.
but:
~Pre- out or sub- out would be a plus, but not a deal breaker.
~headphone out would be preferred.

But…I am nervous about some complaints online about the Brio having a hum that some find annoying. Some have reported returning their units only to have the replacement be the same. Apparently Rega does not acknowledge this as a problem, and says it is normal. Is it a coincidence that there seem to be a steady supply of BrioR on the used market? Or is that just good luck? STO has one now as does Audiogon.
(eg a long discussion on vinylengine forum)

I have to admit that I am fickle with brands. If I have breakdowns or glitches or read negative experiences of others I am pretty unforgiving about crossing the brand off my list. I am not leaning toward NAD, Rotel, Cambridge Audio having had some problems those brands, although I know they sound good. Call it prejudice.

~seperate amp and pre are an option but there is very little new near my budget. Nothing in Stereophile. The very cheapest set up AS recommends would be Odyssey Audio Khartago amp $900 (Factory direct w/20 yr warranty transferable ); and the NuForce HAP-100 at $600 with headphone amp. Next expensive one is Vincent Audio SA-31 at $700, Rogue Metis $1100. I love Rogue beer.

I have been looking into this for quite a while. No stores here in the frontier to audition or shop, so I must go strictly on hearsay, ie online and magazines. I subscribe to Stereophile and Absolute Sound. A.S. calls my this "entry level". What they call "mid level" is what I call the most expensive that I will ever own.

I moved my best hifi, the Rega Mira 3, to the bed room while my cave has been under construction. It is good there except no headphone out. It has a remote that I had never used before it was in the bedroom. This has led me to start looking for a better amp for my room and leave the bedroom as is, being my best ever with an Apollo, Rotel 990 tuner, Quad llL speakers, NHT sub.

On another similar thread I got these but have not read up on them yet:
Yaqin ms88b $700
mingda mc34 ab $1300
Arcam A85
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=359136

BrocLuno
05-27-2013, 07:12 PM
You read this right: http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/2013-tas-editors-choice-awards-integrated-amplifiers-under-1000/?utm_campaign=Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=email-118 :)

I like the NuForce, but there are other options here :)

Are your speakers efficient enough to live with tube power in your price range? You know that tubes have issues like occasional hum, hiss, etc. Not all machines and not all tubes, but they can now and then ..

bryblob
05-27-2013, 07:16 PM
Denon pma-2000ivr. Phono, pre-outs, headphone ouput, plenty of power, mosfet. You could probably pick one up used for around $400. Original price was $1200.

Art K.
05-27-2013, 07:35 PM
The Rega and Marantz amps aren't necessarily better than your current stable, just different. I like the Brio-R better than the amps you have but that's just my preference. Another amp at a similar price is the new Creek Evolution 50A. I think the phono board is extra but it's a great looking piece. Well designed and built. Has balance and tone controls (Paul). Just a flat out beauty. You can add a DAC, phono and even a tuner to it via its modular design.

http://audiofi-net.zippykid.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/CreekEvolution-50A-Main5.jpg

http://www.creekaudio.com/wp-content/gallery/evolution-50a_1/evolution-50a-black-front.jpg

http://www.hdfever.fr/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/LUC_et_PASCAL_EVO_50.jpg

estreeter
05-27-2013, 08:28 PM
The PM7001 KI SL is also under a thousand USD - no direct experience, and I've never seen it on a TAS/Stereophile list of recommended components, but the magazines that did review it were blown away by the bang for buck, particularly in terms of the high current output for the dollars and Marantz' penchant for understating overall power output. Ultimately, your ears will have to be the judge, but I look forward to being able to hear the 7001 alongside the PM8004.

MikeT.
05-27-2013, 08:31 PM
I had a Parasound 2125 power amp that I thought sounded very good but wasn't crazy about the matching preamp.

I had the 2125 initially paired with the Emotiva USP-1 which was a bit bright I thought. The Parasound was a little on the dry side for my tastes but plenty of flexibility.

The amp had a great character, was fast and had plenty of headroom. The trick would be finding a preamp to match and stay under $1000.

I can't, off the top of my head, think of a basic preamp that could be paired with the 2125 that would keep you on budget and still have everything you are looking for.

Always tricky if you can't hear the electronics with your speakers.

Spektre
05-27-2013, 10:18 PM
The Rega and Marantz amps aren't necessarily better than your current stable, just different. I like the Brio-R better than the amps you have but that's just my preference. Another amp at a similar price is the new Creek Evolution 50A. I think the phono board is extra but it's a great looking piece. Well designed and built. Has balance and tone controls (Paul). Just a flat out beauty. You can add a DAC, phono and even a tuner to it via its modular design.

http://audiofi-net.zippykid.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/CreekEvolution-50A-Main5.jpg

http://www.creekaudio.com/wp-content/gallery/evolution-50a_1/evolution-50a-black-front.jpg

http://www.hdfever.fr/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/LUC_et_PASCAL_EVO_50.jpg

Look at the size of that transformer!

Mr. Lin
05-27-2013, 11:20 PM
Look at the size of that transformer!

Off-topic, but would you believe my Naim CD player has one nearly as large? :)

crouse
05-28-2013, 07:44 AM
I have a Music Hall a15.2 that meets all your criteria, but I have no idea if it is better or worse than your current stable. I am trying to sell mine, but that is because I now have a Mac4100 and an Outlaw receiver that meet my needs better. Nothing wrong with the sound of the Music Hall. It is a smooth sounding amp. If you like a lot of slam with a lot of detail, it probably wouldn't be for you. For instance, it sounds great with Klipsch Lascalas but would probably be too polite with very smooth, laid back speakers Good luck with the hunt.

bill irvin
05-28-2013, 01:23 PM
http://www.needledoctor.com/Rogue-Audio-Sphinx-Integrated-Amp
This looks like a nice amp but it is about 300 dollars over 1000

KevinCorr
05-28-2013, 08:28 PM
You read this right: http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/2013-tas-editors-choice-awards-integrated-amplifiers-under-1000/?utm_campaign=Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=email-118 :)

I like the NuForce, but there are other options here :)

Are your speakers efficient enough to live with tube power in your price range? You know that tubes have issues like occasional hum, hiss, etc. Not all machines and not all tubes, but they can now and then ..

Thanks to all for the ideas. I appreciate it. I will comment one at a time.
The TAS list in your link is good. I think the best contenders would be the NAD 356; Marantz and BrioR.
For me Nuforce pre-amp appeals to me for this. That digital amp in the reviews looks awesome, but for another room.
Power: I have not worried about power. My Rega Mira3 Power output is specified as 61Wpc into 8 ohms and 91Wpc into 4 ohms, but Rega's Phil Freeman says that's conservative. It was almost a grand new. Here it is compared with a Creek: http://www.stereophile.com/integratedamps/401rega/
My room has a choice of the new Quad 11L Classics or the very old set up Rogers w/sub. I should be ok.

KevinCorr
05-28-2013, 08:31 PM
Denon pma-2000ivr. Phono, pre-outs, headphone ouput, plenty of power, mosfet. You could probably pick one up used for around $400. Original price was $1200.

That might be an option. I only had one Denon unit once, an AVR for my Mom's house. Thanks, I will put it on the list. It did rock the house with HUGE AR heavy wooden tower speakers with side subs. Also before that we had slick NHT towers with the side subs.

KevinCorr
05-28-2013, 09:10 PM
Art: "The Rega and Marantz amps aren't necessarily better than your current stable, just different. I like the Brio-R better than the amps you have but that's just my preference. Another amp at a similar price is the new Creek Evolution 50A. I think the phono board is extra but it's a great looking piece. Well designed and built. Has balance and tone controls (Paul). Just a flat out beauty. You can add a DAC, phono and even a tuner to it via its modular design."

Art- Thanks for that. That is just the point, replacing an older $1000 amp with a new one at the same class. My bad habit of staying in this price bracket, just getting newer.
That Creek is a beaut! I have been coveting it, reading and even talking to a few salesmen. At Soundscape I talked to Mark who is enthused about the new Creek. He is in a position to compete with himself since he also sells Marantz, Vincent and Music Hall etc. No Rega though. The new Creek is $1250 w/free shipping, plus $225 for phono stage (big selection too), so that is $475 over budget. That is not a criticism of your suggestion because I realize that I keep moving sideways not up is class. Getting a new Rega that actually costs less than my old one did is an improvement but not really a step up in category. I infer that to I need to spend more to see a significant improvement.

I found HiFi News magazine amp shootout, $1000 to $2000 where The Creek Evo 50A was the winner over Arcam, NAD 375BEE, Peachtree Nova, Pioneer, Primare; Arcam and NAD were runners up.

So I first have to choose to go up in price for a big jump, or wait for a good deal on used or last yrs model new.

Like a Creek other than the new one, could maybe beat the "under a grand gang", such as Creek Evolution 2 used for $650 was new $1250.
If I went used I see BrioR for $575 and $700 today.

KevinCorr
05-28-2013, 09:12 PM
Off-topic, but would you believe my Naim CD player has one nearly as large? :)

Well, Naim is on my dream list up 2 steps in price. Along with Exposure, Sonneteer etc.

KevinCorr
05-28-2013, 10:53 PM
I have a Music Hall a15.2 that meets all your criteria, but I have no idea if it is better or worse than your current stable. I am trying to sell mine, but that is because I now have a Mac4100 and an Outlaw receiver that meet my needs better. Nothing wrong with the sound of the Music Hall. It is a smooth sounding amp. If you like a lot of slam with a lot of detail, it probably wouldn't be for you. For instance, it sounds great with Klipsch Lascalas but would probably be too polite with very smooth, laid back speakers Good luck with the hunt.

Crouse, good that you posted this because the Creek salesman that I talked to today also sells Music Hall which is connected Creek and made by Shanling. He sells a lot more MH because it is much less expensive, so, more bang for the buck. He thinks it would be a great choice if I decide to stay within budget. The new amp A15.3 is only $550 and the A15.2 is going for $480 on Agon, which is pretty close to the new one.
He also has Vincent SV400 int amp at $900, no phono so add that and we are over. As discussed above, he rates it as among the best of under $1000, and the Creek among the best of $1 to 2000.
I had never heard the brand but now see that it is among the best hifi bargains. Hope to try the brand.

KevinCorr
05-28-2013, 10:56 PM
http://www.needledoctor.com/Rogue-Audio-Sphinx-Integrated-Amp
This looks like a nice amp but it is about 300 dollars over 1000

Thanks, I just discovered that name on the separates list. TAS recommended pre amp at $1100.

So another on on the $1-2000 shootout.

KevinCorr
05-28-2013, 11:12 PM
I had a Parasound 2125 power amp that I thought sounded very good but wasn't crazy about the matching preamp.

I had the 2125 initially paired with the Emotiva USP-1 which was a bit bright I thought. The Parasound was a little on the dry side for my tastes but plenty of flexibility.

The amp had a great character, was fast and had plenty of headroom. The trick would be finding a preamp to match and stay under $1000.

I can't, off the top of my head, think of a basic preamp that could be paired with the 2125 that would keep you on budget and still have everything you are looking for.

Always tricky if you can't hear the electronics with your speakers.

Right, that is one problem here. I see the Para 2125 at $715 on Amazon so if you were to put it with a cheap preamp Nuforce HAP 100 for $600 it is just over price. Probably not a good idea mixing amps and pre at random like that. Maybe for now stick with an integrated.

Bigerik
05-28-2013, 11:13 PM
The Exposure 2010S2 is just enough over your limit, that you could likely get a demo for the kind of money you want to pay. Then you move into a different league again. Cheapest Stereophile Class A rated amp. By a lot.

KevinCorr
05-28-2013, 11:19 PM
The PM7001 KI SL is also under a thousand USD - no direct experience, and I've never seen it on a TAS/Stereophile list of recommended components, but the magazines that did review it were blown away by the bang for buck, particularly in terms of the high current output for the dollars and Marantz' penchant for understating overall power output. Ultimately, your ears will have to be the judge, but I look forward to being able to hear the 7001 alongside the PM8004.

Some brands have so many models that you have a hard time keeping track. Judge by price and hope the higher one is proportionately better. I just started to notice Marantz while shopping for surround which I will most likely choose.

KevinCorr
05-29-2013, 03:38 AM
The Exposure 2010S2 is just enough over your limit, that you could likely get a demo for the kind of money you want to pay. Then you move into a different league again. Cheapest Stereophile Class A rated amp. By a lot.

So if i choose to move up a league, repost then my list spilling over from this is thread starts with:
Creek $1500
Exposure 2010S $1700
Naim Nait 5i $1700
Rogue integrated
Sonneteer Campion
separates

Bigerik
05-29-2013, 06:36 AM
So if i choose to move up a league, repost then my list spilling over from this is thread starts with:
Creek $1500
Exposure 2010S $1700
Naim Nait 5i $1700
Rogue integrated
separates

IN my comparisons of late, I found the Exposure to be a clearer, cleaner sounding amp then the Naim. We just had an AK member take a 2010S2 home for an extended trial, and ended up owning it. That exposure gear really is that nice.

Art K.
05-29-2013, 11:24 AM
It's a matter of preference. I prefer the Naim to the Exposure but everyone hears it differently.

The Creek is a very interesting piece and should compete quite well with either the Naim or Exposure amps.

At that next level is the Sonneteer Campion. It's a low powered solid state amp with a warm yet very detailed sound and a phono stage that is as good as any I've heard. The phono is quiet, detailed and dynamic. The Sonneteer amps are hand made in England and built beautifully. The Campion is $2000 brand new and less on the used market when you find one. I was lucky to have a great relationship with a dealer who took one in on trade and it just so happened that the first owner was also a forum friend who took wonderful care of the amp.

Lee Harvey
05-29-2013, 11:35 AM
Creek $1500
Exposure 2010S $1700
Naim Nait 5i $1700
Rogue integrated
separates

IN my comparisons of late, I found the Exposure to be a clearer, cleaner sounding amp then the Naim. We just had an AK member take a 2010S2 home for an extended trial, and ended up owning it. That exposure gear really is that nice.

I am that guy. See if you can find a dealer(s) that will let you take each one of those amps home to try out. That's going to be the best way to find out what you like and how each one will work with your existing equipment. I bought the Exposure because after being powered on for a couple of days it became magical to me. But that is me. You may find you like one of the other amps you have listed better? Good luck with your search.

gongli
05-29-2013, 11:39 AM
I heard this one the other day and it was high end sounding, and loved it!

I know Teac doesn't make specialty shop material, but sometimes these mass market companies will make upper level ones at affordable prices - like Sony Es, Onkyo Integra, Pioneer Elite, etc.

This one is refurbished if you don't mind that, but comes with a phono stage, and is powerful at 180 watts per ch!

Check it out:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/TEACAI2000S/TEAC-AI-2000-Stereo-Integrated-Amplifier/1.html

Bigerik
05-29-2013, 12:15 PM
I am that guy. See if you can find a dealer(s) that will let you take each one of those amps home to try out. That's going to be the best way to find out what you like and how each one will work with your existing equipment. I bought the Exposure because after being powered on for a couple of days it became magical to me. But that is me. You may find you like one of the other amps you have listed better? Good luck with your search.

Me too!

The best review I have read of the 2010 is in Stereophile. Art Dudley really nails what it sounds like. Whether that sound is what you prefer, is a different issue. Also, how it will work with your speakers. But I do recommend having a read.

http://www.stereophile.com/integratedamps/1105exposure

telemike
05-29-2013, 12:45 PM
That TEAC looks very nice!

frankbooth
05-29-2013, 01:17 PM
I heard this one the other day and it was high end sounding, and loved it!

I know Teac doesn't make specialty shop material, but sometimes these mass market companies will make upper level ones at affordable prices - like Sony Es, Onkyo Integra, Pioneer Elite, etc.

This one is refurbished if you don't mind that, but comes with a phono stage, and is powerful at 180 watts per ch!

Check it out:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/TEACAI2000S/TEAC-AI-2000-Stereo-Integrated-Amplifier/1.html

I've done a decent amount of listening to that TEAC and even had an in-home for a few days. Very nice amp, heavy with a nice build quality.
It was very open and smooth with a decent amount of bass impact. I spent almost three hours in a shop comparing that to the Anthem 225 and I liked the TEAC better. This was going to be my next amp, but I got a better deal on something used. The guys in the shop said the phono stage is pretty good although I didn't try it myself. Pretty good price right there. I love the silver. :music:

Art K.
05-29-2013, 01:50 PM
TEAC is building some nice pieces at present.

KOWHeigel
05-29-2013, 02:20 PM
You can also sometimes (if you are fast) find used Naim Nait 5i's on agon for under 1K.

I haven't heard the Creek mentioned in this thread but if it is like the 5350se that I recently got it will be a winner.

komoyuki
05-29-2013, 02:26 PM
You can even find on the used market a Naim XS-2 for around 1500$, now that is some serious amp. But to keep the 1000$ range, Nad/REGA/Creek would be some of my choice.

KevinCorr
05-29-2013, 02:55 PM
BigEric:
"IN my comparisons of late, I found the Exposure to be a clearer, cleaner sounding amp then the Naim. We just had an AK member take a 2010S2 home for an extended trial, and ended up owning it. That exposure gear really is that nice."

As we see in Stereophile review and these testimonials.

Art:
"It's a matter of preference. I prefer the Naim to the Exposure but everyone hears it differently.
The Creek is a very interesting piece and should compete quite well with either the Naim or Exposure amps."

I think it will come down to to which one I can get a good deal on and a good dealer and service. That is another question here. Some of these brands are not so easy to find. Actually the Sonneteer has been on my dream list since you reviewed it, but I am having a hard time finding a dealer though.
One place to get Exposure is ACOUSTIC SOUNDS. as I mentioned, I see the Creek and more at Soundscape. Hawthorne has Naim. You may know other stores to add or remove from my list. You can pm if you don't want to put that online. I do remember you returning a Naim cdp. I wouldn't mind using a NW dealer but anyone who knows good sellers in North America I would appreciate recommendations. I did have good luck with STO Sound on the Quads.

Lee Harvey: "... See if you can find a dealer(s) that will let you take each one of those amps home to try out. That's going to be the best way to find out what you like and how each one will work with your existing equipment. I bought the Exposure because after being powered on for a couple of days it became magical to me. But that is me."

Thanks Lee- well, that is the rub. Not a HiHi store in sight. I have to rely on reading up then looking for a good seller and taking a chance. Sometimes I have a chance to visit a few stores while on vacation. My Mom is in Seattle so I have heard a lot of Naim and Rega there. Only one week visit there this year so it would be hard to shop.

I live here in the frozen frontier where only Wallmart and Sears dares to deal. We had a good store that just died as some remember from my dead AVR thread. After over 30 yrs in business. I got my Rogers monitors from him almost 30 yrs ago. They were a Rotel/B&W, Yamaha and TV HT store at the end, along with a few other brands.

KevinCorr
05-29-2013, 03:27 PM
Gongli, telemike, frankbooth, Art...

Teac, thanks for one more on the list. I have a good feeling toward Teac.
I have an old Teac cdr which sounds good. Art, I remember you liked your Teac cdp.

KevinCorr
05-29-2013, 03:37 PM
Thanks to all for the help. I am having trouble keeping up with y'all :) I am supposed to be working on finishing that room!

To summarize: I now have two lists, over $1K and under.

That is not redundant for me because MY room will definately be the "over $1K"
and the under $1000 which will be "hers", so we have not wasted any effort here.

I touched on "hers" on a thread where I considered replacing the Rotel 1072 amp (and dead Rotel 1080 fm) with an Outlaw receiver. I watched but passed on a used one yesterday because this new "under 1k" list has too many great contenders, all the above mentioned.

KevinCorr
05-29-2013, 06:26 PM
Over $1K, replacing Rega Mira 3 integrated amp:
Creek Evolution 50A $1500 w/phono
Sonneteer Campion- $? Where to buy?
Exposure 2010S $1700
Naim Nait5i $1700
Teac AI-2000 Int amp retail $1500 on sale $1000
Musical Fidelity M3i $1500
Rogue Audio Sphinx Int $1300-1400

Under $1K, Replacing a Rotel 1072 integrated amp:

Rega Brio R $900 (sale $720 STO)
Marantz PM7001
Marantz PM 8004 $1000
Music Hall A15.3 $550
Music Hall 15.2 $500 new or less on Barter Town.
Denon pma-2000ivr $1200 (sale $400)
Creek Evolution 2 integrated amp used no phono $650, $800 Music Direct
Outlaw Receiver

estreeter
05-29-2013, 06:34 PM
You can even find on the used market a Naim XS-2 for around 1500$, now that is some serious amp. But to keep the 1000$ range, Nad/REGA/Creek would be some of my choice.

I lie awake at night dreaming of scoring that amp for anything resembling that price - my suspicion is that the OP would be killed in the almighty rush. Might be a brief lull in that rush with rumors (!) of a 'Supernait Lite' (minus DAC) scheduled for introduction somewhere in the next 3 months. Gotta love rumor control :D

KevinCorr
05-29-2013, 07:06 PM
I lie awake at night dreaming of scoring that amp for anything resembling that price - my suspicion is that the OP would be killed in the almighty rush. Might be a brief lull in that rush with rumors (!) of a 'Supernait Lite' (minus DAC) scheduled for introduction somewhere in the next 3 months. Gotta love rumor control :D

Ha. I just called a dealer who wants $2800 for the XS.

Speaking of the used market you do see Brio R used. One went today on Agon for $575.

Bigerik
05-29-2013, 07:10 PM
Ha. I just called a dealer who wants $2800 for the XS.

Speaking of the used market you do see Brio R used. One went today on Agon for $575.

Yup, that's about what they run for. Actually about $3K up here. Warranties and good dealer support are worth a lot.

KevinCorr
05-29-2013, 08:48 PM
Yup, that's about what they run for. Actually about $3K up here. Warranties and good dealer support are worth a lot.

Yes, that is why I passed on the Agon deal on Brio. If/when I get one it will be from a dealer. I don't mind private for cheaper stuff.

KevinCorr
05-29-2013, 08:56 PM
I took the plunge for the Sonneteer Orton because I found one in a store, new but discounted because they are expecting newer models, open box and no phono stage.
They are giving me a discount on a phono stage to cinch the deal.
So that takes care of my room. I will wait a while to replace hers but this thread will hold the key to that when the time comes.
Now to sell her amp.

Art K.
05-29-2013, 09:16 PM
I took the plunge for the Sonneteer Orton because I found one in a store, new but discounted because they are expecting newer models, open box and no phono stage.
So that takes care of my room. I will wait a while to replace hers but this thread will hold the key to that when the time comes.
Now to sell her amp.

You will be pleased. Congrats, Kevin!

Lee Harvey
05-29-2013, 11:48 PM
Now to sell her amp.

Congrats on this score! I am going to assume that it's going to be above your $1000 ballpark? You will have to post some pictures when you get it. With three separate power supplies inside the box it should sound awesome.

KevinCorr
05-30-2013, 01:56 AM
Thanks Art, Lee. Toward the top of the under $2000 class. My first over 1K, will be a best for me. Moving up, little by little.

Still I appreciate all the good suggestions for under 1K because I will definitely use that list to help replace 'hers'. That area will get finished after my room. Oh yah, I have to replace the heating system myself. Nice working at home where the music is.

KevinCorr
05-30-2013, 02:32 AM
Here is a pic from the Audio Asylum ad:

Never mind I can't do it. Yes I read the thread on how to post pics.

Art K.
05-30-2013, 06:06 AM
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff106/panged/IMG_0069.jpg

http://s14.postimage.org/6960dfmwh/son1.jpg

davidro
05-30-2013, 06:28 AM
i approve of the remote!

frankbooth
05-30-2013, 07:15 AM
cool looking piece.

KOWHeigel
05-30-2013, 08:29 AM
wow that is a sexy piece of gear. Congrats!

KevinCorr
05-30-2013, 01:23 PM
Thanks Art. The Silver one at the bottom.

KevinCorr
05-30-2013, 01:25 PM
Thanks frankbooth and KOWHeigel.

Art K.
05-30-2013, 01:59 PM
Thanks Art. The Silver one at the bottom.

:thmbsp:

KevinCorr
06-15-2013, 03:20 PM
Wow, the Sonneteer Orton is fabulous. Thanks to Art K for the bump to finally pass the $1K barrier. I am in hifi heaven.

Nevertheless, thanks to all who helped to build this under $1K list which will be useful too.

Bigerik
06-15-2013, 03:24 PM
Now to sell her amp.

Excellent way to do it! Congrats on a great find.

KevinCorr
06-15-2013, 04:01 PM
Thanks, Bigeric. :)

Poultrygeist
06-17-2013, 07:22 AM
Leave it to me to suggest something off the beaten path.

http://classdaudio.com/audio-amplifiers.html

Paired with a Yaqin MS-12B tube phono stage/preamp

KevinCorr
06-17-2013, 11:23 AM
Nice. I will read up on ClassD. I like the idea of Made in USA.

Poultrygeist
06-17-2013, 12:41 PM
The incredibly long thread on the Class D at Audio Circle has been active for several years now with thousands of happy converts.

Art K.
06-17-2013, 12:47 PM
Wow, the Sonneteer Orton is fabulous. Thanks to Art K for the bump to finally pass the $1K barrier. I am in hifi heaven.

Nevertheless, thanks to all who helped to build this under $1K list which will be useful too.

Now we are waiting for pics!!!:smoke:

KevinCorr
06-17-2013, 12:54 PM
Well I will have to figure out how to do that. I read the insrtuctions, and made a quick effort with Photobucket but failed. Well that is another thread.

I am moving it from my 'cave' under construction to "hers" to play while replacing the house heating system. The mechanical room is off "Her" suite, so that will be fun.

KevinCorr
06-17-2013, 12:55 PM
The incredibly long thread on the Class D at Audio Circle has been active for several years now with thousands of happy converts.

Thanks, looking forward to reading that.

KrisM
06-17-2013, 03:56 PM
I have no experience with Creek gear, but I noticed recently that musicdriect had a couple Creek amps on clearance. Maybe somebody familiar to the models can give an educated opinion. Looks like free shipping, too. Not sure if that would apply to your location, though.

I have no connection to musicdirect, and haven't bought gear from them, but I've been very happy with them when buying music.

Edit: Oops! The last couple of pages didn't show up for me when I posted, so disregard my post.:o

Congrats on the new amp.:thmbsp:

KevinCorr
06-17-2013, 04:02 PM
Kris, yes, I may go for a Creek next time instead of Brio3. I have been tempted to order from Music Direct. They send me colorful brochure catalogs. Tempting stuff.

KrisM
06-17-2013, 04:19 PM
Those catalogs are the fruit of the devil. Every time I open one I feel like spending money I don't have.

KevinCorr
06-17-2013, 04:55 PM
Those catalogs are the fruit of the devil. Every time I open one I feel like spending money I don't have.

That's for sure. Worse than the internet.

estreeter
06-17-2013, 06:46 PM

They have also had several recommendations in each the threads on Class D amps I've seen since I joined AK - must admit that I had never heard of them prior to joining this board, and their prices are very attractive, even compared to other direct sales operations like W4S and Peachtree.

estreeter
06-17-2013, 06:51 PM

Sadly, it's not just their print catalog that is the work of the devil:

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-2701-wadia-151-powerdac-mini.aspx?source=igodigital&

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-13587-creek-evolution-2-integrated-amp.aspx?source=igodigital&

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-45607-marantz-na7004-network-enabled-dac.aspx?source=igodigital&

Regardless of whether any of those components represent the 'best' in their respective classes, those numbers look very attractive to my bloodshot eyes. US-based customers have it soooooooooo good ! :yes: