View Full Version : Appropriate speakers for Marantz 2230?

unfortunate
06-09-2013, 11:17 PM
Hello there,

A Marantz 2230 is currently in a box, headed my direction via FedEx. I've never heard a Marantz, but have read enough to be interested to the point of pulling the trigger on what seems to be a good eBay deal. Now my question is, what are appropriate speakers to pair it with? I've some Advent Legacy I's that were given to me, which need to be refoamed, but I don't know much about them (or audio gear in general, for that matter).

I posted my intro over at http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=6854848, but this is my first post otherwise, so hi! :wave:

ccheath
06-10-2013, 12:09 AM
Welcome to AK.

I was given the 2230. I'd like to know too.

xraelx74
06-10-2013, 12:28 AM
I have a 2230 paired with a set of Dynaco A25's and i love it. I actually got the A25's first and did a lot of research to figure out what the best amp/receiver was for them and the 2230/A25 combo came up a lot --- and for good reason!

Any of the early 70's 2 ways like the A25s, KLH17's, and EPI M100's (in that order) should be a great match for your 2230. I hope it arrives in working order and welcome to AK!

06-10-2013, 05:15 AM
I am using EPI 100 speakers with my 2230 and think is is a sweet combo.

bd1886
06-10-2013, 09:06 AM
These aren't exactly the same as these other excellent suggestions but they are close to you and worthy. (He doesn't have pics with covers off, but at least worth checking out....P-Town is a sweet spot for CL finds by the way.)

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/ele/3808262561.html

unfortunate
06-10-2013, 11:43 PM
Thanks for the replies! It would appear I've got a whole lot of acronyms and model numbers to familiarize myself with. Any thoughts on the Advent Legacy I's after a re-foaming, as a decent match for the 2230?

@bd1886, I've come across some good deals from time to time on PDX craigslist, but often find myself without the necessary time to swoop up on the best of them.

Markw
06-11-2013, 06:27 AM
Since the 1060 amp has the exact same amp as your 2230, this recent thread (http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=524225) offers some fine suggestions.

michiganpat
06-11-2013, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the replies! It would appear I've got a whole lot of acronyms and model numbers to familiarize myself with. Any thoughts on the Advent Legacy I's after a re-foaming, as a decent match for the 2230?

@bd1886, I've come across some good deals from time to time on PDX craigslist, but often find myself without the necessary time to swoop up on the best of them.

should sound great....

I've run acoustic research AR2ax, AR18, Holographic Imaging M5, Smaller Advents, and Realistic Mach 1's on mine....all but the Mach 1's sounded very good, my favorites are (decending order) AR18, Holographic Imaging M5, Smaller Advent, 2ax (tie)

right now I'm running my AR18's on the "main" speaker, and a home built passive sub using an ebay sourced 150hz 2nd order low pass crossover and this subwoofer

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=299-106

in about 1.8 cubic foot sealed, heavily stuffed with fiberglass on the "remote" speakers (each channel hooked up to one of the 8 ohm voice coils)....sounds very, very good, give the low end (plus some) that the M5's, 2ax's and smaller advents had with the smooth smooth rest of the frequency range the AR18's have....

DKirk
06-13-2013, 01:49 PM
You are giving me ideas. AR 18s just need a little help at the low end, but otherwise sound great. I just need to clean out the garage so I can get to the table saw.

jblmar
06-13-2013, 04:31 PM
JBL L16, L26,L36 or L100 would be a good match (IMO).

voodoocanoe
06-13-2013, 07:56 PM
I am very happy with B&W DM602 s3's on my 2230

W.ALLEN
06-13-2013, 09:09 PM
I also have my 2230 in rout purchased here on AK , have read it sounds nice with Advent 1's and I have a set so hopefully this weekend I will find out .

SoCal Sam
06-13-2013, 10:59 PM
Something 8 Ohm and fairly efficient would suit the 2230 just fine. The 2230 is articulate enough to take advantage of metal domes.

W.ALLEN
06-14-2013, 09:02 PM
I just got the 2230 set up , it is hooked up to the Advent 1"s and it sounds good . I think they match up pretty nice .

Oerets
06-14-2013, 09:15 PM
I had Klipsch Heresy II connected until a pair of AR2AX's. Sold the Klipsch's. But the 2230 will make most speakers sound great. A very well rounded unit.

Barney

unfortunate
06-15-2013, 05:14 PM
Finished the re-foam project this morning (Advent Legacy I's), and they sound pretty damn good. Some of the lower frequencies drop off a bit, but mids and highs sound incredibly clear and bright.

One thing that concerns me though, if the bass gets turned up more than ~7 on the dial, or the volume goes up more than that, the bass turns into a constant, loud rumble that drowns out everything else. Of course I would not have the bass up this high, nor the volume, during normal listening, but I'm curious if this is indicative of a problem somewhere?

stereofisher
06-15-2013, 09:31 PM
JBL L16, L26,L36 or L100 would be a good match (IMO).

I am very happy with my Marantz/JBL combination. Great synergy. A match made in heaven! Very listenable and no fatigue.

PB_Audio
06-15-2013, 09:56 PM
Yes... the problem is that you've turned the BASS and/or the VOLUME up too high.
While the 2230 is a nice receiver, it's power is modest at best, and is designes to play at moderate volume levels, of course depending on the size of your listening room. You can produce more volume in a small room, even at lower power levels. If you want to play louder, efficient speakers are a MUST. As mentioned earlier, JBL speakers are highly efficient as are some Klipsh speakers, for example. But, efficiency will vary, model to model even within the most efficient Brands.
FYI, the BASS requires 10 (yes ten) times the power to reproduce compared to the midrange... Yes, it's true.
For example, the LOUDNESS feature is designed to be used ONLY when playing music at LOW VOLUMES, to make up for the preceived loss of BASS, absorbed by the acoustics of your room. TURN OFF THE LOUNDESS as you raise the VOLUME levels. Otherwise you are over working the AMP section in your receiver... as you demonstrated by turning the knob to 7. That's just too far. What you experienced is what is commonly referred to as 'Clipping'. As the peak of the wave form as visualized on an oscilloscope would be literally 'clipped' off, representing the amps inability to reproduce the complete signal. Bad news, and very hard on the amp, AND your speakers. The distortion produced by an amp pusher too hard, into 'Clipping', has been the reason for many a burned out speaker voice coil. So, caution, please!
Just one reason that a little more power, and the resulting extra 'head room' can not only allow you to play louder, while maintaining detail; but also acomplish this without driving your amp into clipping, and possibly damaging your speakers.
Think 'Clean Power'... Once it gets dirty, your speakers are in jeopardy!

AudioDr
06-15-2013, 10:48 PM
I am about to find out how well the Zu Cube plays with the 2230. Then I will figure out how to plug in a powered Undertone sub too.

edit: I meant the Undertone amp, I got them confused, sorry. Fixed now.

Oerets
06-15-2013, 11:01 PM
I am about to find out how well the Zu Cube plays with the 2230. Then I will figure out how to plug in a powered Submission sub too.

Hooking up a sub is easy. You have pre out and amp in connections. Less the twenty dollars in RS cables and Y adapters and you going.

Barney

unfortunate
06-16-2013, 04:56 AM
Yes... the problem is that you've turned the BASS and/or the VOLUME up too high.
While the 2230 is a nice receiver, it's power is modest at best, and is designes to play at moderate volume levels, of course depending on the size of your listening room. You can produce more volume in a small room, even at lower power levels. If you want to play louder, efficient speakers are a MUST. As mentioned earlier, JBL speakers are highly efficient as are some Klipsh speakers, for example. But, efficiency will vary, model to model even within the most efficient Brands.
FYI, the BASS requires 10 (yes ten) times the power to reproduce compared to the midrange... Yes, it's true.
For example, the LOUDNESS feature is designed to be used ONLY when playing music at LOW VOLUMES, to make up for the preceived loss of BASS, absorbed by the acoustics of your room. TURN OFF THE LOUNDESS as you raise the VOLUME levels. Otherwise you are over working the AMP section in your receiver... as you demonstrated by turning the knob to 7. That's just too far. What you experienced is what is commonly referred to as 'Clipping'. As the peak of the wave form as visualized on an oscilloscope would be literally 'clipped' off, representing the amps inability to reproduce the complete signal. Bad news, and very hard on the amp, AND your speakers. The distortion produced by an amp pusher too hard, into 'Clipping', has been the reason for many a burned out speaker voice coil. So, caution, please!
Just one reason that a little more power, and the resulting extra 'head room' can not only allow you to play louder, while maintaining detail; but also acomplish this without driving your amp into clipping, and possibly damaging your speakers.
Think 'Clean Power'... Once it gets dirty, your speakers are in jeopardy!

Thanks! While I assumed the volume/bass was too high, I was unaware that at that volume I was already running into the limitations of the amp. The room where the receiver/speakers live is large (20x20-ish?), but I get enough sound out of this particular receiver/speakers combo to piss off the neighbors. It was only turned up as far as it was out of curiosity. Anyway, good to know nothing is wrong with the equipment, just something wrong with what I was doing to it :).

Markw
06-16-2013, 10:48 AM
Finished the re-foam project this morning (Advent Legacy I's), and they sound pretty damn good. Some of the lower frequencies drop off a bit, but mids and highs sound incredibly clear and bright.

One thing that concerns me though, if the bass gets turned up more than ~7 on the dial, or the volume goes up more than that, the bass turns into a constant, loud rumble that drowns out everything else. Of course I would not have the bass up this high, nor the volume, during normal listening, but I'm curious if this is indicative of a problem somewhere?What do you mean by "more than 7"? Ther are no numbers.

Can you reference your statement by clock numbers, where 12:00 (on the bass/treble) is the midway (neutral) position, all the way down would be 7:00 and maxed out would be 5:00?

PB_Audio
06-16-2013, 05:26 PM
What do you mean by "more than 7"? Ther are no numbers.

Can you reference your statement by clock numbers, where 12:00 (on the bass/treble) is the midway (neutral) position, all the way down would be 7:00 and maxed out would be 5:00?

Good question... I was thinking he meant on a 1~10 scale, like on a Fender guitar amp, for example. So... 7 on a 1~10 scaled knob.
Yes... NO???

unfortunate
06-16-2013, 06:42 PM
What do you mean by "more than 7"? Ther are no numbers.

True, there are no numbers. I guess more accurate would be to say "approximately 70% of the maximum". In clock-numbers it would be around 3:30-4:00.

AudioDr
06-16-2013, 10:02 PM
Hooking up a sub is easy. You have pre out and amp in connections. Less the twenty dollars in RS cables and Y adapters and you going.

Barney

Is that the only way?

PB_Audio
06-16-2013, 10:03 PM
True, there are no numbers. I guess more accurate would be to say "approximately 70% of the maximum". In clock-numbers it would be around 3:30-4:00.

Yah... that's WAY, WAY too high.
I generally don't like to go beyond straight up, or 12 o'clock. At that position on the VOLUME Knob, you may already be pushing your amp too hard.
You might get away with 1:30 or 2:00 o'clock for short periods; but only if you actually turn the BASS Knob back a couple notched. Remember, the BASS requires way more power to reproduce. Even still, a lot depends on the source material. Any music with a wide DYNAMIC RANGE -OR- DEEP BASS (below 60Hz for example) is going to demand more from the amp than it is comfortable producing. You never want to run your amp close to 'CLIPPING'. One unexpected DEEP BASS passage could spell the end of your speaker voice coil, or the AMP itself. And this assumes you've refurbed the receiver before ever considering running at these levels.
"... yah, Dad, I'll turn down the bass". Yah, sure Dad.
This used to keep our service department very profitable back in the 70s... and we're talking virtually new equipment. That was an opportunity to move the customer up to a bigger receiver, like the 2245 or 2270, my preference in the first place.
As I said, the 2230 is a nice little receiver; but don't ask it to do the work of a 2270. You'll make it very unhappy.:no:

unfortunate
06-17-2013, 12:52 AM
Yah... that's WAY, WAY too high.
I generally don't like to go beyond straight up, or 12 o'clock. At that position on the VOLUME Knob, you may already be pushing your amp too hard.
You might get away with 1:30 or 2:00 o'clock for short periods; but only if you actually turn the BASS Knob back a couple notched. Remember, the BASS requires way more power to reproduce. Even still, a lot depends on the source material. Any music with a wide DYNAMIC RANGE -OR- DEEP BASS (below 60Hz for example) is going to demand more from the amp than it is comfortable producing. You never want to run your amp close to 'CLIPPING'. One unexpected DEEP BASS passage could spell the end of your speaker voice coil, or the AMP itself. And this assumes you've refurbed the receiver before ever considering running at these levels.
"... yah, Dad, I'll turn down the bass". Yah, sure Dad.
This used to keep our service department very profitable back in the 70s... and we're talking virtually new equipment. That was an opportunity to move the customer up to a bigger receiver, like the 2245 or 2270, my preference in the first place.
As I said, the 2230 is a nice little receiver; but don't ask it to do the work of a 2270. You'll make it very unhappy.:no:

I figured as much. The volume & bass were only that high very briefly as a test of it's limits. For regular listening, anything higher than ~12:30 is at "piss of the neighbors" volume, and more than enough. Right now i've got the three EQ knobs all at 12:00, but will play with them as I get accustomed to it, and likely turn the bass knob down a notch.

All that being said, a 2270 is probably in my future at some point. Next up though is replacing the junk turntable I've got, which is currently the weakest link. I've got my eyes on a Marantz 6350, but my wallet is having a bit of a disagreement with me. :music:

EddyFranner
06-17-2013, 12:58 AM
I am using EPI 100 speakers with my 2230 and think is is a sweet combo. I have a pair of EPI (Epicure model-150's)