View Full Version : Hello from Glendale, CA

clunkified
06-10-2013, 02:02 AM
Hello folks,

I've long been a consumer of high-end audio gear for music making and production. I have slowly redirected some of that cash, energy, and enthusiasm into a quality home listening setup to match what's in my studio. My home listening setup is mostly for vinyl playback.

Why did I join? Well, here's the story.

Yesterday, I had just swapped out my Thorens TD166 MKII for a Technics 1200 MK3 to solve my weeks-long skipping/warbling record problem. With a two year old little dude and an 80 year old wood floor, the suspended Thorens couldn't hang. The Technics is, as expected, ROCK solid. Even more rock solid on 4 vibrapods and a thick piece of glass.

So I set this up and it's flawless. The 1200 plugs into my McIntosh C27. The McIntosh plugs into my Marantz Model 250m Power Amp. That is, until yesterday. Everything was humming, I was stoked. About 3 minutes in, the left channel of the system made a crackle and cut out. Normal playback resumed. I smelled a distinct electrical burning and immediately shut the system down! It was coming from the Marantz. I did not dare plug it in again.

And so now I'm here searching for answers.

Three main reasons I'm here:

1. Find somebody to restore my Marantz. Reached out to Paul Hovenga at Many Moons Audio and put myself on his year long wait list. :pity: Continuing to look for somebody local/closer or who doesn't have such a long wait list.
2. Find a temp, budget replacement for my Marantz.
3. Find some new quality speakers.

Thanking you all in advance for your help.

:thmbsp:

electronjohn
06-10-2013, 06:43 AM
Welcome! And...I HATE that smell, too.

retrodude
06-10-2013, 06:54 AM
Welcome to AK- bummer about your Marantz!

Rome
06-10-2013, 09:26 AM
Greetings to ya!

Rome

oldguide
06-10-2013, 02:20 PM
My guess is you blew a resistor (s). The smell is characteristic. A variety of reasons that might happen--but you will want to nail that down. To confirm the damage, open up the Marantz and you will probably see the culprit. Fixing this is probably a job for a pro if you have not worked with the inside of one of these before, but at least you can point them in the right direction. I don't know where Glendale is, but seems like you should have someone closer who could do the diagnostics and repairs for you.

Good luck.

meggy
06-10-2013, 02:23 PM
Welcome.

clunkified
06-10-2013, 02:40 PM
My guess is you blew a resistor (s). The smell is characteristic. A variety of reasons that might happen--but you will want to nail that down. To confirm the damage, open up the Marantz and you will probably see the culprit. Fixing this is probably a job for a pro if you have not worked with the inside of one of these before, but at least you can point them in the right direction. I don't know where Glendale is, but seems like you should have someone closer who could do the diagnostics and repairs for you.

Good luck.

Whatever it was burned the back of my throat!

I opened it up and didn't see anything of note. I was also REALLY pissed so I was probably just seeing red. :D I have tinkered before on synthesizers and other music gear so I'm pretty comfortable poking around in gear, but have never worked on something like this. Will take another look later now that I've come to accept what happened. :no:

Thanks!

clunkified
06-10-2013, 02:41 PM
Oh yeah BTW, Glendale is in Los Angeles.

Cheers.

juanann
06-10-2013, 03:04 PM
welcome to AK.

I think Northridge Electronics will work on the marantz if you dont want to mess with it, yourself. There in simi valley.

I believe the man's name is Tom for northridge electronics.

Sandy G
06-10-2013, 03:05 PM
Nice t'have ya ! Welcome !

vintageboy
06-10-2013, 09:02 PM
Welcome here

Loner
06-13-2013, 08:38 PM
As stated above, Northridge Electronics in Simi Valley is a good place. The owners name is Tom...he works with his wife. They both use to work at Superscope in Chatsworth. Tom worked as a Tech I believe. He recapped my 150 and also gave a good bill of health to my other 70's Marantz equipment, including a 250M.

clunkified
06-13-2013, 09:01 PM
As stated above, Northridge Electronics in Simi Valley is a good place. The owners name is Tom...he works with his wife. They both use to work at Superscope in Chatsworth. Tom worked as a Tech I believe. He recapped my 150 and also gave a good bill of health to my other 70's Marantz equipment, including a 250M.

Yeah, I called them up earlier this week, now I just have to find some time to take the unit in. The good news is the wait time is only 3 - 5 weeks. Thanks for the endorsement.:thmbsp:

mech986
06-19-2013, 05:45 AM
Greetings and Welcome to AK from La Habra in North Orange County. Third recommendation for Tom at Northridge Electronics. He actually was former Service Manager for Marantz, and also had a big hand in designing a number of pieces for Marantz, not sure if he worked with the 250M but he can surely fix it.

BTW, don't give up on the TD166, find a good wall mounted TT shelf and see how that works.

bobabode
06-19-2013, 07:49 PM
Welcome from another denizen of Orange County, Ca.:smoke:

boojum
06-19-2013, 09:13 PM
Hey clunkified, another OC member here to say good to have you onboard. The wealth of information available on AK is 2nd to none.:yes: