View Full Version : Show Us Your Sony'S!!!

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Stoffie
01-28-2007, 10:01 AM
There ya go. Other pics will be on the way this evening.

STR-840

http://users.pandora.be/kristof.haezebrouck1/sony/HT/DSC00322_rs.jpg

DVP-NS725D + Mediacenter

http://users.pandora.be/kristof.haezebrouck1/sony/HT/DSC00323_rs.jpg

SLV-900 + DVP-NS900V

http://users.pandora.be/kristof.haezebrouck1/sony/HT/DSC00324_rs.jpg

The whole shebang

http://users.pandora.be/kristof.haezebrouck1/sony/HT/DSC00325_rs.jpg

Yamaha B-2
01-28-2007, 10:18 AM
In the U.S., Sony would have another six numbers/letters with that. :D

Stoffie
01-28-2007, 12:27 PM
Sony's naming conventions/schemes are indeed quite elaborate... :D

Here's some pics of a work in progress. The dude is a friend/tech without whose help this would never happen. Excellent skills.

Still need to do all the fusible resistors (30 or so), two resistors on the feedback circuit, replace all the heatpads and solder on the new bipolar transistors. Hopefully we can do that next week, set the balance and bias and test the damned thing :D After screwing it all back together that is...

It's quite a job to figure out how to do things most efficiently, lots of wires and stuff being in the way, not very handy to work on so you lose lots of time figuring things out. Mirko's awesome tips have helped a lot though. Thanks again dude !

the-real-mandak
01-28-2007, 02:52 PM
Nice, hope it works out well.

Stoffie
01-28-2007, 03:17 PM
Me too, I hope we'll be spared of a big bang when we switch it back on :scratch2:

Yamaha B-2
01-28-2007, 03:39 PM
Amen to that. Spare those VFETs.

absolon
01-29-2007, 01:27 AM
6120 owners. This might interest you:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-receiver-SONY-STR-6120-STR6120-front-panel_W0QQitemZ200073838307QQihZ010QQcategoryZ5059 6QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

axel
01-29-2007, 05:58 AM
Can't wait to see my own N7B go through the same process as it's been sitting idle until it does - just by security. Finding a french tech able to do that (and willing to) is unfortunately difficult...

Brian
01-29-2007, 06:06 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I've written to see if he has the dial glass?

Stoffie
01-29-2007, 10:25 AM
Can't wait to see my own N7B go through the same process as it's been sitting idle until it does - just by security. Finding a french tech able to do that (and willing to) is unfortunately difficult...

I am fortunate to know a person that is meticulous and skilled and can be trusted to work on such a precious amp, as they are not exactly abundant. I have had to wait about three months to get this started but it is well worth it. The rest of the refurb is for next saturday, and then hopefully there will be listening bliss :music:

It is indeed hard to find a tech (I would not really know where to look if my buddy wasn't willing to do this), let alone the cost involved in having a tech do the refurb, which does take quite some time, especially when you have never done that specific model.

Axel, I hope you find someone to overhaul your beast.

mesut BALCI
01-31-2007, 05:05 PM
I hope the job in the final will not destroy the manufactured balance on musical parameters. Recapping or changing parts at the first may result optimisation but during listening session, you may not get the joy you previously had. Again fantastic Job. :thmbsp:

One of the most important things on hi-fi that I experienced is balance among parameters which is the thing causing music to be again natural. I never heard a flute or drum or anything played live outside that can be called as very transparent by listeners. Mirko has said that ta-n7 was too transparent!! A destroyed natural balance.

I have been experiencing the tae88. Another device on endless hi-fi path but this is the end, at least one of the ends, and still no miracles I waited for the price. Well it created a room having this time side walls, a complete, closed room. Secondly it has first rate musical pesentation and well defined contours that when combined all together, gives the mood of room.

I also tried my ladder type passive comparing to tae88. I connected passive to the buffered rec-out of tae88. This corrected all lacks of passives and resultng sound still has better purity than tae88 line stage. I found out which cabling is best for passive based sound and for tae88 based sound. At their best results: the music with buffered passive is smoother, more energic, has tiny bit purity obvious, better at trebles, and faster more controlled presentation and even more musical.

music with tae88 is a bit stressed, shows easily 2 times more musical nuances, dangerously dynamic in tiny nuances, mises nothing, pushes what there is on record. You get accustomed tae88 music around 1-2 days. very different presentation, very surprising. The last thing causing real difference between tae88 and buffered passive/5650 pre or all others that I have tried is that, when you are sucesfull tring a bit, you get complete closed room creation and its related mood rather than usual staging. This is the real difference, may be the thing resulting esprit name.

tae88 outputs are one of the worst thing I have ever seen. 2 of my interconnects got defect, there is gravity in practical world. I would prefer tae88 having rca's on the bottom, if this design is really a must. Either way rings must be removed to use cabling into-out of tae88. Very stupid, otherwise an engineering beauty.

I wonder what is the limiting areas of 5650 power amp when tae88 is used as preamp...Is theer really any? I am still seing things tae88 dont have but I get by using other devices. tae88 is not as smooth as buffered passive.

sony units are 5650, tae88, xa7es, sony tv, sony mini recorder, sony headphones walkmans, sony monitor and i have never been a fan of sony.

Yamaha B-2
01-31-2007, 05:16 PM
...... and i have never been a fan of sony.Seeing that you "have never been a fan of Sony.", could you just send over that TA-E88B? You see, I am a fan of Sony.:yes:

mesut BALCI
01-31-2007, 05:24 PM
YB2:
I am still thinking my credit card, 500euro: GULP :sigh:
Will you really sell 8450 and 8550?? Please replace power cord of 8450+8550 with the ones of c2x+b2 and see if differences are still existant betwen yammy and sony combos.

Yamaha B-2
01-31-2007, 05:36 PM
All power cords are currently stock. Remain unsure about selling the Sony pair. I will have to wait until I have heard the recapped TAE-8450 in action with the TAN-8550. No comparison in the looks department. While I like those B-2 meters, the unique Sony meters and matching oiled wood side-panels certainly are nice.

While I received excellent service and sound from my Bryston amps (2B-LP pair running as monoblocs and BP-25 preamp) I don't think they compare to the sound I am hearing from my VFET gear (Sony or Yamaha). Especially the refurb'd units.

mesut BALCI
01-31-2007, 05:54 PM
My power cords are also the ones I use on my PC. I tried many pc power cords and shocked with differences on resulting sound by soem of them althogh some are equal. All those "more's, less's, a bits, tiny bits," are due to power cords used with that unit and even really serious sometimes causing main diferences. I dont trust on costly power cords but If I didnot also consider cabling and power cords in order to get best sound from a system tring a unit, I would easily and mistakenly say 5650 preamp is better than tae88. I first suitably match the all cabling tring a unit in the system and then compare best sound of new match with new unit to my reference match with previous unit, also seing their good and bad potentials and tring to find out a way to get optimum best. These lasts as A-B-A-B-A-B listening tests peventing ears or brain from woow state, then long listening periods, and then seing results on wide variety of cdroms.

influx
01-31-2007, 06:02 PM
Thought I'd trot this idea out again. What would be the pluses and minuses. My .02 would be convenient links to archived manuals and galleries. You know useful stuff :scratch2: Any thoughts?

Yamaha B-2
01-31-2007, 06:09 PM
Whichever set I decide to keep will definitely receive a bit more in the way of upgrades. The item I like the least on these vintage Sony pieces is the ratty brown power cord. When my ST-5000FW and ST-J75 were refurb'd the power cords were replaced. Doesn't matter which set I keep, the preamp/amp pair will undergo a power cord upgrade. Would like to go IEC, but not sure there is room without a major butcher-job on the rear panel. So will likely go with a captured power cord.

totem
01-31-2007, 06:45 PM
The power cord on my TAE 8450 has to be one of the worst I have seen.
In fact, I found that one prong is loose and is also soon to be changed.

Yamaha B-2
01-31-2007, 06:50 PM
Yep......think it was 1967 that Sony got an incredible deal on 100,000 miles of 15g brown zip-cord. Horrible stuff. They didn't run out until 1980.

Stoffie
01-31-2007, 06:50 PM
Mesut, I have never heard the TA-E88B and N7 together. Only TA-E86B + crippled N7 and that was glorious already. So I'm wondering. Saturday I'll know.

reggaenaut
01-31-2007, 06:54 PM
The power cord on my TAE 8450 has to be one of the worst I have seen.
In fact, I found that one prong is loose and is also soon to be changed.
The power cord on my 7065 is horrible. I find it inconceivable that Sony could make such a beautiful receiver and attach that power cord to it.

Unda Maris
01-31-2007, 08:33 PM
IMO with good gear and a correct setup, the power cords have no influence on the sound.
None of the European Sony V-FET units and their associated tuners and pre amplifiers have these brown cords, all have IEC plugs ...
(There must be at least a single advantage to live in Europe :) )

But I know that stuff from my TA-8650, "europeanized" US model and my STR-6060F, argggh, I hate it ! Just the same thin stuff you got in the 70ies for your electrical shaver ... :D

Stoffie, any news from the TA-N7B front ?

I modded my SCD-777ES last friday. When it came in, the sound was already revolutionary for my setup, but what came out after some modifying back and forth is probably the biggest step forward, I had for the last few years.

The modifications were backed by computer simulations and pure technical considerations. Only one single detail showed to have a negative audible influence. It turned out, that the simulation had some wrong parameters for that modification detail. This clearly shows to me that the good old objectivist approach still works best, even on top notch equipment. You donīt need such snakeoil stuff like quantum purifiers, speaker cables with terminators of the size of a refrigerator or power cables with single crystal silver wire. :no:

That baby really rocks, I will own/use it for the rest of my/itīs life !
Now I have to buy some spareparts as long I still get them ...

tcdriver
01-31-2007, 10:15 PM
My Sony SQD-2070 SQ quadraphonic decoder, shown with a quadraphonic record and cassette tape. Although Sony made some very good components over the years, they also made some losers. This is a very poor SQ decoder.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k206/xtcdriver/Sony%20PS-T20/SQD-2070-1.jpg

mesut BALCI
01-31-2007, 10:15 PM
IMO with good gear and a correct setup, the power cords have no influence on the sound

So tae88, xa7, 5650 are bad gears or this combination is a bad setup resulting with a creation of virtual room :thmbsp:

Like all engineers, my engineer friend also always resisted tring cords or cables. I got my cables and we tried them on my friends x779/jvc qly66f/8450/taf7 setup. One of my cables showed lack on trebles and bass, one showed deliciacy, other showed slowness and lack on trebles, one other showed no meaningfull differences when used between source and pre. He said "what is this, your costly cable lacks on trebles and also slow, my system is killed". All cables are behaving differently on all diffferent systems. If someone steals the power cord I use on 5650, I cant listen to passive anymore because when I use other cables, passive cannot show its adventageous sides and 5650 pre thus looks as better on available properties beating passive.

If we must trust only on measured properties(always issue on cables)then all amplifiers having the same specs must soudn equal, so with worst specs tae900 is thus a worse pre than tae88 and we must not mention air, staging, pinpointness, contours, brightness, openness etc because scientificaly all amplifiers having same specs must sound equal. If someone measures amount of space between instruments than I will forget my brain which is wrong.

However theer are many trciky things on cables. They limit trebles thus this prevents how bad trebles are, or they decrease treble amount thus bass looks as if more than other cable by brain perceive, or if trebles are dull, bass and midband now are perceived as more transparent than other cable. If you limit bass depth then you get more defiend and controlled part of bass only to say cable is controlled. I agree with Mirko on cabling, causes diferences but mostly false perception or very little difference per 100$

I dont know why power cords causes difference, maybe these are the nearest cables to units which radiating around. Maybe only the thickness that effects current and so the bass and by this current changes overall teh circuitry, whoel sound changes on some ways. Maybe only sockets that effects curent flow at joints. At least, the current used in amplifier is drawed from transformer and it is fed by power cords, a closed loop. My power cord representing speed causes also lack on bass and resolution. Other cable causes distortion on trebles, by one cable midband transform to an open window, other causes good timing....... At least power cords are easy and cheap to test when unit has socket.

2 years ago to find out effects of interconects, I bought
One supra with eichman rca
One supra with original rca
One vandenhul with eichman rca

Cable itself effects sound, also rca's used effects sound, rca's are around 40%. I even use cable combos, adding in serial carefully averagingly adds properties sometimes. I even tring all teh same ones and chosing best of them, labeled tiny adaptersto add interconnects together) as delicate, light, thin etc.

After all, I HATE cables, but...

Lefty
01-31-2007, 10:22 PM
So tae88, xa7, 5650 are bad gears or this combination is a bad setup resulting with a creation of virtual room :thmbsp:

Like all engineers, my engineer friend also always resisted tring cords or cables. I got my cables and we tried them on my friends x779/jvc qly66f/8450/taf7 setup. One of my cables showed lack on trebles and bass, one showed deliciacy, other showed slowness and lack on trebles, one other showed no meaningfull differences when used between source and pre. He said "what is this, your costly cable lacks on trebles and also slow, my system is killed". All cables are behaving differently on all diffferent systems. If someone steals the power cord I use on 5650, I cant listen to passive anymore because when I use other cables, passive cannot show its adventageous sides and 5650 pre thus looks as better on available properties beating passive.

If we must trust only on measured properties(always issue on cables)then all amplifiers having the same specs must soudn equal, so with worst specs tae900 is thus a worse pre than tae88 and we must not mention air, staging, pinpointness, contours, brightness, openness etc because scientificaly all amplifiers having same specs must sound equal. If someone measures amount of space between instruments than I will forget my brain which is wrong.

However theer are many trciky things on cables. They limit trebles thus this prevents how bad trebles are, or they decrease treble amount thus bass looks as if more than other cable by brain perceive, or if trebles are dull, bass and midband now are perceived as more transparent than other cable. If you limit bass depth then you get more defiend and controlled part of bass only to say cable is controlled. I agree with Mirko on cabling, causes diferences but mostly false perception or very little difference per 100$

I dont know why power cords causes difference, maybe these are the nearest cables to units which radiating around. Maybe only the thickness that effects current and so the bass and by this current changes overall teh circuitry, whoel sound changes on some ways. Maybe only sockets that effects curent flow at joints. At least, the current used in amplifier is drawed from transformer and it is fed by power cords, a closed loop. My power cord representing speed causes also lack on bass and resolution. Other cable causes distortion on trebles, by one cable midband transform to an open window, other causes good timing....... At least power cords are easy and cheap to test when unit has socket.

2 years ago to find out effects of interconects, I bought
One supra with eichman rca
One supra with original rca
One vandenhul with eichman rca

Cable itself effects sound, also rca's used effects sound, rca's are around 40%. I even use cable combos, adding in serial carefully averagingly adds properties sometimes. I even tring all teh same ones and chosing best of them, labeled tiny adaptersto add interconnects together) as delicate, light, thin etc.

After all, I HATE cables, but...

It's amazing that anyone can get a system up and operating correctly at all with all the cable dependencies :D

Lefty

axel
02-01-2007, 03:34 AM
Axel - Isn't this the "Show Us Your Sonys" thread? Where are the pic's?

ok... picking up an old post from last year:

I'd rather not tell the price I paid for all this (you'd have a severe jealousy attack if you knew) but all of these units are NOS or very near that and function perfectly. Here you guys can see my Sony scores (and non Sony as well) from december 16, 2006: http://www.thevintageknob.org/scores

- enjoy :smoke:

(large images ; Firefox users click on the vertical ones so they reach their 1000px of width)

Stoffie
02-01-2007, 04:36 AM
Very nice gear Axel ! Wish I had the space to put more stuff. Already having troubles housing both my 5.1 and my stereo setup...

Yamaha B-2
02-01-2007, 07:57 PM
That 5.1 has got to go.......

ok... picking up an old post from last year:
I'd rather not tell the price I paid for all this (you'd have a severe jealousy attack if you knew) but all of these units are NOS or very near that and function perfectly. Here you guys can see my Sony scores (and non Sony as well) from december 16, 2006: http://www.thevintageknob.org/scores
- enjoy :smoke:Nice catch!! I especially like that TC-K88Ba.

Dug into the TA-E86B to put a hit of Deoxit in the volume control. Has a bit of noise as the wiper goes across the 10 o'clock position on the volume pot. Well.....no problem until I got to the point where I wanted to remove the sheet-metal mechanical support from the front of the pots so I could either pull the pot apart or drill a couple of holes in the case of the pot to get the Deoxit into and out of (don't think they like to swim in Deoxit). Well, am not sure how they got this sucker together at the factory. There is a cap at the lower left corner of the support and a transistor at the lower right which prevent the removal of this support. The support must have been on the front of the pots when it was installed. I really don't want to unsolder the post from the board, but may have to. Anyone done this little trick before (remove the pot) with the TA-E86B? Anyone know the internal construction of this pot? Can I drill a hole centrally and get Deoxit on both control surfaces? Any suggestions? Thanks.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n301/gpdavis2/TA-E86BAlps.jpg

Stoffie
02-02-2007, 03:44 AM
I think Mirko will know more about this.

I know that for the TA-E88B he advised me specifically NOT to use any kind of Deoxit for the pots, but the disassemble them (which means desoldering it), taking it apart, clean out the grease, clean with alcohol, grease or oil again and reassemble. He said it was a major pain doing his.

Ofcourse the pots on the TA-E88B are higher grade and might be different inside, but it might be worth considering ?

Talk to him about it !

Samppo
02-02-2007, 05:49 AM
Thought of posting a pic of my Sonys finally in their own new rack. On the right to them some less interesting equipment which I use for my active diy speakers.

http://www.multi.fi/~samppo/stereot_sm.jpg

mesut BALCI
02-02-2007, 06:33 AM
pm 94 will always be the most good looking design to me. I still like one thing on its class A sound better than vfet sound, oily sticky smoothness of hits. 5650 plays more accurate with better fidelity when volume knob is when under horizontal position, it is noticable sometimes so I cannot increase volume. At that time it sounds purily like classA in addition to vfet advantages. With tae88, sound is in another level.

axel
02-02-2007, 06:37 AM
hello Samuel ! :wave:

totem
02-02-2007, 10:17 AM
I have noticed at least 2 TAE-8450 with white side panels. They seem to be
the European versions, am I right?

Samppo
02-02-2007, 10:38 AM
totem, this is very interesting information. Mine, a European version, appears to be original as the panel has a numbered sticker with Sony importers logo of that time. Why they're white is a mystery to me. Maybe demo machine, beats me :scratch2:

Oh and hi to you too Axel :wave:

axel
02-02-2007, 11:02 AM
Hello Samuel !

The CD-94 you have was distributed in Japan in several versions, like the later PM-99: slightly different side finishes, a little badge added etc strictly for the japanese market.
The ES units have in the US a little "ES" badge added at the bottom right corner ; Sony's early FET units had an "F" badge added at the top right corner... only in Japan.

So the white panels may be "distributor version" - custom made for a market, specific reseller or, indeed, demo...

Unda Maris
02-02-2007, 11:22 AM
Axel,

you should also post the other stuff, in order to shock us all !

Stoffie,

it looks a little bilt like, as if you have to unmount the complete main PCB, before you can access the two potentiometers. Drilling a hole could be an alternative, but where to drill ?

Totem, Samuel,

The woodpanels on all my 8x50 series units have no number or logo printed on them. If your white panels have such labels, itīs most likely, that these parts were available only as accessories.

Yamaha B-2
02-02-2007, 03:03 PM
It looks a little bilt like, as if you have to unmount the complete main PCB, before you can access the two potentiometers. Drilling a hole could be an alternative, but where to drill ?

The woodpanels on all my 8x50 series units have no number or logo printed on them. If your white panels have such labels, itīs most likely, that these parts were available only as accessories.Pulling the board is not helpful as it does nothing about moving the pot so that the metal support can be removed.

In stating that drilling is an alternative, are you saying that it is OK to spray Deoxit inside an Alps volume pot?

The side panels on my TAE-8450/TAN-8450 pair have nothing on the inside face. But, they will soon be replaced with oiled ribbon mahogany (see pic in post #709). Sent the wood and old panels off to merrylander today for him to make up. The new panels will be almost twice as thick as the old ones, which should also add a nice touch. More pic's when they all back together.

Yamaha B-2
02-02-2007, 08:06 PM
OK. Thrity minutes of work looking through the magnifying lamp, a hot soldering iron and plenty of solder wick and, bingo......the Alps is out for inspection. A little tedious, but not as bad as it could have been. Here are some pic's. First the nudies, top and bottom. And, then the Alps.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n301/gpdavis2/TA-E86Btop.jpg
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n301/gpdavis2/TA-E86Bbottom.jpg

What's the consensus? Deoxit good? Should I order some of that new Deoxit that is supposed to be harmless to the various parts inside pots?

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n301/gpdavis2/TA-E86BAlps3.jpg

EchoWars
02-02-2007, 09:20 PM
The 'new' DeOxit is called FaderLube, and yeah, that's what I'd recommend.

Yamaha B-2
02-02-2007, 09:48 PM
Got it. Thanks!! That shit costs as much to ship as it does to purchase (hazardous material). Same with all Deoxit products, unfortunately. Glad it goes a long ways.

restorer-john
02-02-2007, 11:10 PM
Hey B2, what are the 8pin DIP ICs on the board? I've repaired a few ALPs black beauty pots by removing the wiper balde spring altogether and shifting it down a fraction of a mm when the scoring on the plastic film was too bad for spraying. Alps blues have the same problem, the wiper is too sharp and scores the film especially with excessive knob twiddlers

absolon
02-03-2007, 05:13 AM
No doubt someone will find these useful:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-x-Pair-of-Very-Rare-Sony-VFET-2SJ28-2SK82_W0QQitemZ160081518361QQihZ006QQcategoryZ5059 8QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Yamaha B-2
02-03-2007, 06:27 AM
Hey B2, what are the 8pin DIP ICs on the board? I've repaired a few ALPs black beauty pots by removing the wiper balde spring altogether and shifting it down a fraction of a mm when the scoring on the plastic film was too bad for spraying. Alps blues have the same problem, the wiper is too sharp and scores the film especially with excessive knob twiddlersThanks for the tip. Hopefully, I won't have to disassemble to that point, as the bottom on the blue is open and is easy to hit with Faderlube by simply removing the vinyl cover on the bottom side (once removed from the PCB). I will defintely be doing some measuring before putting all back together. Don't want to do this twice.:no: Sure do miss the test gear I used when in research (recording scopes to several 100MHz, MCA/SCA, chart-recorders, etc.).

Only 8-pin DIPs are the Fujitsu switches.

Stoffie
02-05-2007, 04:59 PM
Well, after a long winded, extensive overhaul process (which we could have never done without Mirko's great advice), and some hiccups along the way, my N7 is now again in top condition.

It's playing right now. Well, wow... I am hearing so many things I have never heard before, I don't know the right words to describe...

Will post some more pics when I finally get my rack to put everything in.

Yamaha B-2
02-05-2007, 06:14 PM
Kristof - Beautiful work!! Makes me wish for a TA-N7B of my own. Will be doing similar things to a B-2 shortly and will try to do as well with the photography on same.

Also, did anyone watch this crazy TA-F6B auction? Two nutty bidders and one happy seller. Or, was it worth it? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=009&sspagename=STRK%3AMEDW%3AIT&viewitem=&item=190077438659&rd=1&rd=1

BTW - There is a TA-E88 listed on eBay. But, I haven't been to Viet Nam since 1969. :D

bru87tr
02-05-2007, 06:21 PM
thats a nice unit, wish I could afford it.

sony stuff really sounds nice.

Stoffie
02-05-2007, 06:26 PM
Been doing some low volume listening, some jazz, some 80's rock, some classical, it all sounds very very nice. It's already way past midnight so can't test it at normal listening levels. That will have to wait until tomorrow. Anxious ! :D

There is a TA-N7B on the UK Ebay right now, shipping would probably be insane to the US though...

Now only remains to take out and clean the pot on the pre, but I don't feel ready for that yet :D (Mirko scared me).

Good luck with your B-2 project Glenn !

And 500 bucks for a TA-F6 does seem quite excessive !

mesut BALCI
02-05-2007, 07:12 PM
Stoffie:

giving serious confidence for an 30 years amp, it looks like a new bought krell :sigh:

me too, me too:banana:

there is a ta-n7 ta-e7 combo here in Turkey in another city in the sell locally. If he sells only ta-n7, I am planning to buy one selling my unique tuner, mini alnico monitors, my passive attenuator, and some cables, but I still dont know. I like 5650 sound more than ta-f7 which is tiny ta-n7. 5650 power section althogh lack power, a bit speed and relaxed sound of ta-f7, sounds better in most of midband even with higher resolution at some areas and noticably more musical in full pleasure. Also is not ss-like at all, that seems to me more natural. It seems 5650 is more suitable to sony x559, 779, xa7 series players than ta-f7, I dont know. If I dislike resulting sound or loose curent balances, I will loose my rare alnico monitors, extremely succesful passive.

Or when passive throgh rec out buffer sounds better than tae88 line stage itself(when it cannot create virtual room at some records enogh, then buffered passive sounds himm yes better to me, much much more open, more relaxed, more musical, joyful, tiny bit moe energic, lacks resolution a bit and that first rate presentation), I can switch to passive arranging everything and adding a button to passive box so that I can add a passive active mode to tae88.

Yamaha B-2
02-05-2007, 07:17 PM
Been doing some low volume listening, some jazz, some 80's rock, some classical, it all sounds very very nice. It's already way past midnight so can't test it at normal listening levels. That will have to wait until tomorrow. Anxious ! :D
There is a TA-N7B on the UK Ebay right now, shipping would probably be insane to the US though...
Now only remains to take out and clean the pot on the pre, but I don't feel ready for that yet :D (Mirko scared me).
Good luck with your B-2 project Glenn !
And 500 bucks for a TA-F6 does seem quite excessive !Most amps sound better loud. The trick is to get them to sound good at reasonable (low for me ~70-75db) listening levels.
Am afraid it will be a while until I can afford one. Then I'll fly over to carry it back in my luggage. :yes:
Unless the TA-E88B is considerably more difficult than is the TA-E86B I've been working on, it will be a piece-of-cake compared to what you have just accomplished.
Thanks. Got everything for the B-2 except the binding post mounting blocks and silver hook-up wire on order (all Cardas rhodium over silver connectors).

tom1356
02-05-2007, 07:42 PM
I just joined the Sony ES club.
Eleven of the fourteen pieces are shown here.:thmbsp:

the-real-mandak
02-05-2007, 07:47 PM
Hmm. those wheels look a bit fragile to a stack of that size :scratch2:

But nice stack.

restorer-john
02-05-2007, 08:05 PM
130kg, 286 pounds approx, plus the weight of the stand divided by four. The castors can take it, but can the carpet and the floor?!? It may be a little wiggly at the top- but that's a hell of a stand!
I still am getting over the price you paid...bargain.
John

tom1356
02-05-2007, 08:11 PM
130kg, 286 pounds approx, plus the weight of the stand divided by four. The castors can take it, but can the carpet and the floor?!? It may be a little wiggly at the top- but that's a hell of a stand!
I still am getting over the price you paid...bargain.
John
The casters are rated for 400 lbs. The floor is concrete (basement).
When the nuts are tightened down snug it is very sturdy.

Yamaha B-2
02-05-2007, 08:32 PM
I just joined the Sony ES club. Eleven of the fourteen pieces are shown here.:thmbsp:Did you pick up that CL rack with the pair of TA-N77ES amps? Very nice. If I wasn't listening to the B-2 amps I might well go back to a TA-N77ES. Certainly one of the very best looking amps ever made. If the lamps are out in the meters it is no big deal to fix them They run in series on a long, thin PCB across the top of the meters. If one goes they all go, IIRC. Anyway, a bit of solder wick and some new bulbs and you are in good shape. I even have a spare one of those boards laying around somewhere. If I find I can send it to you. Great gear. Just do a check on the voltages per the sticky on same at the beginning of this forum. Terrific rack.

tom1356
02-05-2007, 08:44 PM
Did you pick up that CL rack with the pair of TA-N77ES amps? Very nice. If I wasn't listening to the B-2 amps I might well go back to a TA-N77ES. Certainly one of the very best looking amps ever made. If the lamps are out in the meters it is no big deal to fix them They run in series on a long, thin PCB across the top of the meters. If one goes they all go, IIRC. Anyway, a bit of solder wick and some new bulbs and you are in good shape. I even have a spare one of those boards laying around somewhere. If I find I can send it to you. Great gear. Just do a check on the voltages per the sticky on same at the beginning of this forum. Terrific rack.
Yes it was from CL. The bulbs do need to be replaced. From what I've read they have the life span of a Gastrotrich.
Any idea where to get new bulbs?

Yamaha B-2
02-05-2007, 09:24 PM
Absolutely. AK member dgwojo. He is our bulbmeister. PM him with your needs.

Stoffie
02-05-2007, 11:42 PM
Hugely impressive stack tom1356 ! I'd be afraid to topple it, but if you say it's sturdy then it's ok ;)

How does it sound ?

Glenn:
That might end up being an expensive TA-N7B if you plan to acquire and bring home yours the way you say here, hehe.

I'd be happy to keep one in storage for you might the need arise.

One mod I am still planning on the N7 is to replace the crappy plastic springclip speaker terminals with some solid binding posts, I've already found some that should fit on there nicely without too much hacking or drilling.

Still not sure about the pot on the pre, Mirko called it horror, so hmm... I'd feel more confident if I had some pics of the process of taking it apart.

axel
02-06-2007, 06:45 AM
I just joined the Sony ES club.
Eleven of the fourteen pieces are shown here.:thmbsp:

Very impressive Tom !
(do you need a ladder to swap stations on the tuners ?!)
The N110 should be safe (?) but be sure to leave enough room above the N77ES - seems a little cramped here.

500$ for a TA-F6B (however mint) is nuts.

The speak' terminals on the N7 are small, very small. The N86 in Japan saw a version with much bigger binding posts but the N7 didn't...

Unda Maris
02-06-2007, 11:10 AM
Stoffie,

the word horror is perhaps a little bit too much for the TA-E88Bīs pot cleaning, but you should be prepared for one hour per pot. The biggest problem is to get the bearing balls back into place. Nothing impossible to do, but a little bit tricky.

In order to preserve the collectorīs value of your unit, you should at least do the modification in a reversible way.

The seller of the currently listed TA-N7B in the UK also sold a second one quite a time ago, which had modified terminals. This was a rather ugly mod and the unit didnīt sell at a high price (I think well below 300 EUR) ...

TA-F6B:

Paying 500 USD for TA-F6B is crazy. What will be the bid on a TA-F7B, 1000 USD ? On German eBay the F6B appears quite often and normally sells for 50..100 EUR, depending on condition. I got mine for 34 EUR, some years ago :D

Seems that Sony gets more and more accepted among Hifi collectors ... :D

I can live with that, my basement is already filled up with Sony ...

Stoffie
02-06-2007, 02:37 PM
I am definitely not going to butcher the unit, in order to install better wiring terminals. I'll order what I have in mind, and see how I can fit them without making a massacre :)

Have been listening to my refurbed N7 all afternoon and evening. I've been able to crank it up a bit and I am in love. No matter what you throw at it, jazz, classical, 70 or 80's rock, bigband stuff, funk, metal, trip hop and hip hop... it's the perfect performer for me!

I have to say at first everything seemed a bit bright, but that went away after it warmed up, now it just sounds crystalclear, with wonderful midrange, and exceptional bass control.

I have to say that's what amazed me most, how much bass was dug up by my KEF IQ5's when connected to the N7, who always seemed to be a bit lacking in that department when connected to my 5.1 amp. Lots of tight, tuneful bass, I like how the N7 has so much grip on it !

Very wide soundstage too, and overall a musical performance you can listen to hour after hour. I'm loving it !

My units are still residing on the floor until I can afford myself a decent rack that is deserving of my precious Sony units :music:

junkaudio
02-06-2007, 03:02 PM
i think that is a wonderfull system ta-e88b and ta-n7b :tresbon:

Unda Maris
02-06-2007, 04:24 PM
TA-N7B + TA-E88B:

Yeah not many people ever heard that combination. Iīm happy, that I did and still do from time to time. Especially the TA-N7B is very refreshing, if you think how big the improvements in analog audio amplifiers were over the last 30 years:

Nil, Zero, Null, Nothing, Nada, Nix, Rien ! :D

IMO the TA-N7B isnīt vintage at all, when it comes to sound.

I heard only one amplifier, which is a nuance tighter, and more dynamic up to the highest freqencies, but that ugly little beast outclassed every other commercial amplifier it met so far. If you want to see it, take a look at the appended photos, the black beauty with the thin handles and the stylish coffee machine power switch is it !

Please take a look at some impressions of my freshly modified SCD-777ES and the new self made hifi rack !
The rack was necessary, because my old setup looked like a chaotic black pile of junk, with a huge golden CDP on top of it ... It will have an additional second stage for my PS-8750 turntable, but this is not finished yet.

Yamaha B-2
02-06-2007, 04:28 PM
Very nice work and set-up!!

As always, I'm taking donations of TA-N7B amps. Stock or mod'd. Especially now that you have a coffee machine amp you prefer (what is it?).

influx
02-06-2007, 04:39 PM
Kristof - Beautiful work!! Makes me wish for a TA-N7B of my own. Will be doing similar things to a B-2 shortly and will try to do as well with the photography on same.

Also, did anyone watch this crazy TA-F6B auction? Two nutty bidders and one happy seller. Or, was it worth it? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=009&sspagename=STRK%3AMEDW%3AIT&viewitem=&item=190077438659&rd=1&rd=1

BTW - There is a TA-E88 listed on eBay. But, I haven't been to Viet Nam since 1969. :D

This is a little nuts. But I guess if you really want something....? I like mine, but it's not worth 500 bucks. There's so much other good vintage sony or yammie stuff out there. Maybe somebody had a lonely A6B that needed company :D .

Stoffie
02-06-2007, 04:46 PM
TA-N7B + TA-E88B:

Yeah not many people ever heard that combination. Iīm happy, that I did and still do from time to time. Especially the TA-N7B is very refreshing, if you think how big the improvements in analog audio amplifiers were over the last 30 years:

Nil, Zero, Null, Nothing, Nada, Nix, Rien ! :D

IMO the TA-N7B isnīt vintage at all, when it comes to sound.

I heard only one amplifier, which is a nuance tighter, and more dynamic up to the highest freqencies, but that ugly little beast outclassed every other commercial amplifier it met so far. If you want to see it, take a look at the appended photos, the black beauty with the thin handles and the stylish coffee machine power switch is it !

Please take a look at some impressions of my freshly modified SCD-777ES and the new self made hifi rack !
The rack was necessary, because my old setup looked like a chaotic black pile of junk, with a huge golden CDP on top of it ... It will have an additional second stage for my PS-8750 turntable, but this is not finished yet.

Very nice Mirko!

I assume that coffee machine amp is the one you built yourself ?

Rack looks good man! What speakers do you use ?

I have to say, I've been to many hifishows, heard exotic stuff, but I am awestruck by my own setup now. Couldn't be happier and won't be looking for better anytime soon (except for the cdplayer and a turntable).

Unda Maris
02-06-2007, 04:59 PM
The amplifier is an EDiSONE Audio CA-1:

2x20W into 8Ohms
Bandwidth 40 MHz
Ground free design
Residual noise < 1uV
Dynamic range > 140dB
2x180.000uF PSU

Built around 1998

Stoffie
02-06-2007, 05:10 PM
The amplifier is an EDiSONE Audio CA-1:

2x20W into 8Ohms
Bandwidth 40 MHz
Ground free design
Residual noise < 1uV
Dynamic range > 140dB
2x180.000uF PSU

Built around 1998

Beefy psu on that thing... not to talk about the bandwidth, holy cow ! :smoke:

mesut BALCI
02-17-2007, 03:42 PM
Listening to resulting sound, I think that tae88+5650poweramp is a very bad match. 5650 poweramp suppreses natural dynamism and all natural musical flow of tae88, simply higher and lower classes and different presentations supressing each other. TA-5650 is a perfect gift with standalone much more suitable preamp section and tae88 needs its mate, a more dynamic, faster mate so that resulting sound will be completely as natural as nature. Overall spread resolution and obviously more natural, more dynamic presentation are what make tae-tan serie the higher class.

In ta5650 as integrated, a narrow area or spots (including strings and male vocals) looks to have higher resolution(?] or peaks and also gives background uppermid ambiance more accentedly and as a result gives interestingly a hair standing, charming sound. ta5650 owners, use it as is. Very well matched, perfect integrated and even warmer with its own preamplifier section. Trebles are also more accented or peaky or tae88 gives tiny bit closed or duller trebles.

Today I expermented lux c05 m05 fed by a very younger pioneer dvd player and speakers were very big monitors Wilson Audio CUB:
http://www.stereophile.com/loudspeakerreviews/498wilson/index.html

Arrgh! better bass, faster sound, smoother presentation, again wide staging and gave even better of my closed room feeling and ambiance with the same cdrom I memorised. These are mostly due to speakers, very fast, and store asked 4000$ for second hand. Only resolution was a bit better when I came home. Yes resolution, hard to beat property of vfet series which makes me wonder about the result of comparison to current AK subject mx10000:scratch2:

Stoffie
02-20-2007, 06:38 PM
mesut Balci: I hope you can figure sometimes out that suits your taste !

If all goes well, I'll have a nice Sony PS-X75 on my doorstep soon ! Looking forward to that !

mesut BALCI
02-26-2007, 05:01 PM
After changing my Job I got a couple of very stressfull weeks due to new environment and terribly hard work state and I took myself to a near hi-end store. I only wanted to listen to a good sound and he turned on a ready system and put a cdrom. ArggH!:D Finally I experienced one of the staging mentioned somewhere on AK. Nothing to say, 5-6 levels higher scale reproduction. I thoght if it was possible now to reach to such a sound by a not very interesting system in a very little store but he said price was just a bit under 100.000$. Then I mentioned about the Avalon speakers I told here on yamaha cdx10000 thread. He looked at me and said they are not 4500$ but 45.000$. I still dont know If the other store said wrong price for used avalons but it seems I was a bit in hurry for a strict decision between new and old, because fling among $s I solved one of my problems. All the speakers that I experienced at stores had one common property. All have somewhat angled front baffle, either for only woofers or for all the drivers. I came home and tried this. I always turned to my new spk adcustment after all my A-B sessions. Music was simply like ones I heard at stores, this is an interesting but powerfull trick. I use front spikes about 0,5 cm longer than back spikes. When tuned well, bass gets very deeper, cleaner, more controlled, trebles are more extended, sound is somewhat much more open and not restricted otherwise always as dull-closed as usual to most of old systems I listened to. Please try this. I think this way, sound is naturally less distorsive, maybe diectly facing speakers cause distorsion in reproduction and even timing -speed is better now, musical flow is improved very much. I dont know if time-aligned in a better way now, or if due to less horisontal component of woofer force to the back causing more cabinet distortion. Please try to get deeper bass always controlling staging and also preventing a kind of veil caused by adjustment. When excessive, veil covers music, when well tuned this is one of the biggest differences between old and new speakers.

On the other hand I noticably improved resulting sound of tae88-5650 combo, I hate cables but it always works, I changed all the cabling and their order from IC's to power cords to even power sockets getting best from new system, costly solution of matching with variety of cabling, only one time investment to different cables having very different sonic properties. This is my best sound at home and I started to only listen to music and difference between new and old world is again wortless thinking too high cost for little improvement or very noticable amount of improvemnt costs 100.000$. Old world still strongly works, and this is still best old setup I heard in my lifetime :thmbsp: I will now strictly think on an investment on ta-n7 selling somethings.

Stoffie
02-26-2007, 05:23 PM
Interesting read mesut_Balci, will have to try that sometime...

As for the N7, saw one go yesterday on Ebay for about $750 :yikes:

Good luck finding one (and consider the fact you'll still have to do some recapping and other small mods to ensure it will live and be a worthwhile investment)

Yamaha B-2
02-26-2007, 06:38 PM
That sloped baffle or tipping the speakers back is called 'time alignment'. IIRC it is to compensate for the somewhat faster speed the higher frequencies travel through air and also an effort to get the individual driver motors aligned in a flat plane normal to your ear. My speakers are tipped back on their stands in such a fashion. But, only about 1/4", which is not enough. But, it does make an improvement compared to flat.

Good luck in your TA-N7B search. If you find two, don't forget me. :D

gilbodavid
02-27-2007, 06:33 PM
my god what a thread! I am learning fast. hello all. am proud owner of TA-2000F and TA-32000F. Sold Leak TL12+ monoblocks 2 years ago for these to power my Quad esl57's. They are better than the Leaks in my opinion. Both are at the menders however, and i've been told transister problems with pre, and my repairer cant find replacements. is there a source for replacements or modern alternatives, and also what caps, resisters etc to replace with what to boost performance and ensure longlivety. I am now drooling over TA-ER1 pics.

thanks, david

Stoffie
02-27-2007, 06:58 PM
They have one (ta-er1) for sale at www.allegrosound.com (for big bucks I'm sure).

Maybe some of the residents can help you in your search for updated components for your pre!

Stoffie
03-05-2007, 06:13 PM
PS-X75 is here ! Picked up the box today, it was very well packed with all necessary precautions pertaining to shipping turntables. It came from the US, so I wasn't exactly expecting much in terms of what would be left of it after travelling such a long distance with a number of shipping carriers. But anyway, nothing broken, everything was perfect. It was a bit dirty and dusty, so I have been cleaning it, there are scratches all over the shell, but that is not so important to me. Platter and mat look nice (still needs some more overall cleaning), there is an Ortofon MC 20 cartridge installed (which I found on Google is a pretty good cart...)

Thing is I can't test it yet, because it is a 120V version, and no switch on this one to set it to 230V. So I will have to go get a step down transformer tomorrow before I can power it up (did not feel like fireworks this evening).

I can't wait !

Anyone here have a SM for this by chance ? Just in case it does need some adjusting etc.

Thanks ! :banana:

Yamaha B-2
03-05-2007, 06:20 PM
Very nice!! Supposed to have the PS-X75 SM on its way. Give me shout in another week, or so. I'll scan into .pdf.

Stoffie
03-05-2007, 06:22 PM
Thanks Glenn, that would be most kind of you :)

I am anxious to try this out, but unfortunately, another workday, and a double commute to and from work will precede this glorious event :D

Yamaha B-2
03-05-2007, 08:35 PM
Don't you just hate work? Gets in the way of the important stuff. Like tinkering with/listening to great vintage gear.

Here is a pic of the first side panel for the TAN-8550. Just finished sanding and first coat of oil on this 'ribbon mahogany'. Stuff is much better than my photo shows. It is terrific looking with great detail and depth. Just doesn't show up well in the (my?) photo. Am sure a couple of additional coats of oil will help bring this out, as well. The matching TAE-8450 preamp will be getting the same side panels. You will be able to see/audition this set at the AK Fest if all goes well.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n301/gpdavis2/DSCN1739.jpg

Edit - Here are the matching TAE-8450 side panels.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n301/gpdavis2/DSCN1747.jpg

Unda Maris
03-05-2007, 09:40 PM
Glenn,

you are really the king of understatement, the side panel already looks greeeeaaaaat ! If itīs only half of that in reality ... :thmbsp:

What is your source of the wood, musical instrument parts suppliers or the like ?

I wished there were enough European members/sponsors to organise an AK Fest in Europe ...

Stoffie,

congratulations, thatīs really a nice unit and such a rare bird ! Letīs hope the fragile 'biotracing' works well :music:
The MC20 is probably more than a good cart/start.

TA-N7B for $750:

Letīs wait until a few people heard Stoffieīs or one of my TA-N7Bīs ...
I got my TA-N7Bīs for 300 and 200 EUR (the second one was defective, but with good V-FETs). Unfortunately these times are definitely gone ...

I would not sell my fully refurbished TA-N7B even if someone would bid $1500 for it (only to prevent some misunderstandings here :D )
Ok, if someone had a BA-1000, a JM-S7, a HA-500F and a B-3 for exchange I would be interested ... :)

Stoffie
03-05-2007, 11:32 PM
Glenn,

that does look really good ! Coupled with your shiny TA-E8450 and TA-N8550, they will look truly marveloous ! Looking forward to seeing the finished project !

Mirko,

I am keeping my fingers crossed on the biotracer working properly !

And you are right, they will have to pry my TA-N7B from my dead cold fingers
. I'm gonna have to check the dc offset and bias sometime again, it's been playing for about a month now. Can you advise at what the better setting would be (now set for about 60mV on both channels), because I remember you saying it should be set a bit above 70mV for optimal results ?

Now that I have a hopefully very decent turntable, the only thing that is left is to find me a nice CDP-X555ES or something of the likes for a cd source and my setup will be complete!

I have given up hope of ever finding a decent pair of APM's, although one of my friends is going to Japan/Tokia in a few weeks, so I will definitely have him check (telling myself I could pay for the probably outrageous shipping price, if he could find some)...

Too bad indeed we can't do AK Fests like our American friends, but I guess we can still do small get togethers :)

Yamaha B-2
03-06-2007, 04:50 AM
Thanks. The difference in person compared to the photo is striking. There is quite a bit of wood on eBay. Most of it is left-over pieces that are too small to be useful for side panels, etc. But, the same folks have conderably larger pieces that they sell to their regular customers. You just have to ask. These were cut to nearly the correct size by the seller and then finish-cut for me by merrylander. Total cost was $39 (includes shipping). Seller was LLN Exotic Woods in Belvidere, IL. You can also use google to find. 100s of sellers. Just have to do some shopping.

Stoffie
03-06-2007, 01:41 PM
Too bad none of my units have wooden sidepanels, but I guess it wouldn't be really fitting anyway with their styling.

I tried the ps-x75, it works !

The biotracer arm does seem to have some trouble lowering (have to help a bit by pushing the black bar thing at the base of the arm, that allows the arm to lower or rise), because for the most part it just gives a very discrete click and does not lower. It does go up most of the time.

Sound is perfect, cartridge is still pretty good it seems, so no problems there.

It just needs a very thorough cleaning, the control buttons are all very stubborn in accepting commands.

Anyone any tips on these small problems ?

Yamaha B-2
03-06-2007, 08:13 PM
If it did, it could look like this. Just imagine how this will look with the matching TAE-8450 in the same finish.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n301/gpdavis2/TAN-TAESidePanel.jpg

And here is a nudie of the TAN-8550.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n301/gpdavis2/TAN-8550Nudie.jpg

Major weight difference between the TAN-8550 (42 pounds) and the B-2 (57 pounds), both rated at 100wpc, can be found with the second power transformer/filter caps (dual-mono), very substantial and larger heatsinks (not necessarily any more efficent) and heavier sheet-metal of the chassis.

the-real-mandak
03-06-2007, 08:42 PM
That looks nice B-2.

Unda: yes a European AK fest would be great.

Stoffie
03-07-2007, 03:37 PM
Absolutely fab looking Glenn! Would also love to see those ppm meters in action sometime! Your units seem to be in very good condition too !

Alas, here some pics of the biotracer in action :)

absolon
03-10-2007, 12:03 AM
I'm pleased to report that with some helpful advice from byrdwings, ericj and Fred Longworth, my STR6200F is back up and making nice music again. :thmbsp:

I could still use an obsolete 2SC633 transistor for the startup muting circuit to make it perfect if anyone knows of a source. I would also like to replace a 2SC634 if it were still available. I've had no luck finding them.

While sorting out the problem, I replaced all the electrolytics on the power supply board and found the tuner hum quieted down below audible levels. I had thought the the hum I was getting was grounding related, but it seems to have been a result of 35 year old caps in the power supply. I'm impressed enough by the difference that I'm going to do the same on my 6060F. It has lost it's FM stereo functionality so I'm also going to see if the Whitehall repair is applicable and give it a try.

Brian
03-10-2007, 09:12 AM
And I am happy to report the locating of a replacement dial plate for the STR6120 and it is enroute to Warren who has graciously held onto my 6120 for something like a year while 1 was located. Also, have a 6120 parts unit but the seller never mentioned what was wrong with it. Per the description it is missing the knobs and faceplate that he had sold and I of course got the glass.

Yamaha B-2
03-10-2007, 09:20 AM
Must be something in the air. I'm picking up a pristine STR-6120 this afternoon from an "older" lady who has downsized due to her husbands health (move into a smaller condo, etc.). Unfortunately, their very large matching KLH speakers are all ready gone (they gave them away :yikes:). Wonder if they were electrostatics? I probably won't keep this receiver, but will be fun to compare to the STR-6200F, which I find better looking. I'll add some pic's later.

I could still use an obsolete 2SC633A transistor for the startup muting circuit to make it perfect if anyone knows of a source. I would also like to replace a 2SC634A if it were still available.Where and in what circuit are these located?

absolon
03-10-2007, 10:59 AM
The 633A is Q6 and the 634A is Q7 on the power supply board accessed through the bottom cover.

That board on my unit has apparently been a problem in the past and two transistors have been substituted. For Q6, I have a 634A rather than the 633A specified. The 634A has identical characteristics except for Vcbo which is double that of the 633A. Collector of Q6 is also base for Q7 and I have abberant voltage at this point but tested good components in the circuit. I think that replacing with a 633A will clear that up and I'd like to replace the 634A for good measure though that is less critical. I'm not 100% certain, but I think the 633A could be replaced with a 2SA677 if I could find one of those.

I've been scavenging through old dead Sonys looking for the right transistor, but no luck so far.

axel
03-10-2007, 12:41 PM
Must be something in the air. I'm picking up a pristine STR-6120 this afternoon from an "older" lady who has downsized due to her husbands health

I see Lolly did contact you, Glenn :)

Yamaha B-2
03-10-2007, 03:22 PM
Yes.....just got back from their place in Philadelphia. Delightful couple. Sorry they had to downsize to the Tivoli all-in-one. But, the could have gone all the way down to Bose.

Here is the STR-6120 sitting atop my STR-6200F. As one can see, the red stereo light shines brightly. If I were going to keep, I would definitely have it aligned, as is not as sensitive as the STR-6200F. Also, could use a Deoxit (although the controls are quiet) after 38+ years.

Only external differences that pop to mind immediately are that the STR-6120 uses small chromed nuts to lock in the speaker/antenna wiring while the STR-6200F uses the handier spring loaded terminals. Not a big deal either way.

Also came with the original owner's manual and another book that I've yet to look through. They bought this new with a set of KLH speakers in 1967, per their memory. Doesn't appear to be a mark on the faceplate.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n301/gpdavis2/STR-6120-1.jpg

axel
03-10-2007, 06:13 PM
nice couple !
the catalog you have on the side must be the '68 US catalog (although Sony did use most of its images for the '69 as well).

Laura seemed very depressed in her eMail - I hope you had a chance to cheer her up some.

Lefty
03-10-2007, 06:16 PM
Yes.....just got back from their place in Philadelphia. Delightful couple. Sorry they had to downsize to the Tivoli all-in-one. But, the could have gone all the way down to Bose.

Here is the STR-6120 sitting atop my STR-6200F. As one can see, the red stereo light shines brightly. If I were going to keep, I would definitely have it aligned, as is not as sensitive as the STR-6200F. Also, could use a Deoxit (although the controls are quiet) after 38+ years.

Only external differences that pop to mind immediately are that the STR-6120 uses small chromed nuts to lock in the speaker/antenna wiring while the STR-6200F uses the handier spring loaded terminals. Not a big deal either way.

Also came with the original owner's manual and another book that I've yet to look through. They bought this new with a set of KLH speakers in 1967, per their memory. Doesn't appear to be a mark on the faceplate.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n301/gpdavis2/STR-6120-1.jpg

uck it's got the smooth knobs, the fluted knobs is bee's knees in vintage Sony :thmbsp:

Lefty

Whitehall
03-10-2007, 06:35 PM
I respect the round knobs but LOVE the fluted ones.

The big difference I understand is that the 6120 his has output capacitor coupling while the 6200 is direct coupled. Anyone can confirm?

My biggest grip with my 6200 is the lighting for the tuning and center tune meters doesn't match the tuning scale in brightness or styling by that is picky.

Love the wooden cabinet too.

Yamaha B-2
03-10-2007, 07:48 PM
Oh, yeah. I do prefer the machined/fluted knobs. There must be a more substantial difference between the two, though, as the STR-6200F weighs 5 pounds more than the STR-6120. My guess is that it is primarily a power supply difference. I'll set them side-by-side and snap a nudie tomorrow. Should be interesting.

I find the light to be uniform across both the STR-6120 and the STR-6200F. Perhaps you don't have the same bulb at each end or the silly reflector foil behind one of the bulbs is missing or folded or something. A terrible design.

Axel - Lara's e-mail must have been deceptive in tone. She seems to be a very happy person and quite together. Her husband is a retired orthopedic surgeon/teacher from the Jefferson Medical School, one of the better teaching hospitals around. At least that is where I would want to go if I had to go anywhere. A very nice couple.

Believe it is a '67/68 catalog. Does not have the TA-3200F, only the TA-3120 and TA-2000 (non-F). STR-6120, 6060, 6050, 6040 and TA-1120A. ST-5000F and a couple of TTs, electronic crossover and head amp.

Dick - Warren recommends the 2SC2240 to replace the 2SC633A/634A transistors. Don't need high-speed transistors in power supply applications. Available from either Digikey or MCM Electronics.

absolon
03-10-2007, 08:53 PM
Illumination is even on mine as well.

Thanks Glenn (and Warren). I'll report the results

patrick66
03-11-2007, 06:26 AM
Hello to everybody.
I have a small riddle for you. About which model are those pic's ?
As you can see, I have just changed the output transistors and all the small caps.
Good luck ...

42601 42602 42603

More pic's will follow !

Yamaha B-2
03-11-2007, 07:19 AM
You are welcome. The STR-6120 will be headed to Warren for an alignment whenever he gets a moment. Also noticed that the rear has substantial differences that make up that 5 pounds. The heatsinks appear to be considerably smaller on the -6120. Popping the top shortly.

Patrick66 - Welcome to AK and 'the' Sony thread. Isn't that an integrated amp? One with the slider controls rather than knobs. Don't know the model, but perhaps Axel will.

Have added the nudies of the STR-6200F and STR-6120.

axel
03-11-2007, 10:40 AM
Patrick,

C'est un TA-1055.
Nommé, si je me souviens bien TA-1090 au Japon.

Brian
03-11-2007, 10:52 AM
Glen, happy you got it. I tried to contact her but got no response.

patrick66
03-11-2007, 01:29 PM
Hi Axel,
Good answer :tresbon:
But what do you think about his strange serial number : 911784 ?
According to the service manual, serial numbers 500XXX are for AEP model, 600XXX are for UK model, 700XXX for Canada model and 800XXX for USA model.
And I'm sure, this one is not a USA model :nono: !!!

Here is my vintage stack (from 1973 to 1977)

From top to bottom : PS5550 - TC377 - TA1055 - ST5055L - TC204SD

axel
03-11-2007, 01:54 PM
Hello Patrick ! :wave:

Why don't you show us the big pieces like the TC-880-2 standing proud and tall to the left :)

I still haven't figured out the "9xx xxx" s/n scheme but so far believe it to be some kind of a sort of "general export" of sorts...
The TA-1055 was a TA-1070 in Japan, not 1090 ; it sported very clear sideburns rather than the dark mahogany of the export versions.

Pilot
03-11-2007, 02:06 PM
Four Sonys. From the top, STR-V55, CDP-302, TC-K81, SL-2700. Also have a TA-F45 and a couple of portables. All working beautifully and heavily modified. If Mr. Sony ever looked inside he would cut me out of his will.

Bryan

patrick66
03-11-2007, 02:09 PM
OK Axel, here is the TC880-2

More and better pic's tomorrow with better light !

axel
03-11-2007, 02:44 PM
Patrick,
- two absolute masterpieces in the same image: TC-880-2 and TA-N7B.

Pilot,
What did you mod in the 302 ?

Pilot
03-11-2007, 03:06 PM
In a nutshell:

1. Changed all the capacitors, especially the crummy mylar types in the low pass filter, which I exchanged for polystyrene. If you don't do anything else, this is the essential mod.

2. Changed all the chips following the D/A converter to eliminate distortion, particularly at the higher frequencies.

3. Added a couple of servos to eliminate the output coupling caps.

4. Added an extra regulated power supply with its own transformer for the motor drivers. They originally ran from the unregulated side of the 5V logic supply which was not the greatest thing to do, either for the motor servos or the logic regulators.

Probably did some other stuff but it was a while back and I don't remember.

Bryan

Stoffie
03-11-2007, 06:11 PM
Wow Patrick, that is a VERY nice collection ! Looking forward to seeing more pictures ! :tresbon:

restorer-john
03-12-2007, 12:15 AM
here's the current system.

Stoffie
03-12-2007, 05:38 AM
Those look to be in top condition ! Great stuff! How does that CDP-X7ESD sound after all those years ?

restorer-john
03-12-2007, 06:56 AM
Hey Stoffie, they are in perfect condition. The X7esd is still my reference- I am yet to hear anything that makes me want to replace it. I have another still sealed in its box in my storeroom bought new when sony ran them out. I honestly believe that range was the best they ever built. The amp is a beast- I have two N77s and one day will run them side by side when I get the SSG333es speakers out of the storeroom.

Stoffie
03-12-2007, 07:40 AM
Argh ! Jealous :D

I am on a cruisade to find some nice Sony speakers, be it G series or APM's (almost impossible to find here), and also a Sony cdp-x555/559/505 or 7 series but those are still going for pretty high prices, and the laser blocks are unobtanium now...

Be sure to post some pics of those ss-g333es when you get them out of the storeroom. Any other inspiring gear in that storeroom of yours ? :D

patrick66
03-12-2007, 08:28 AM
Hi Stoffie,
Here are some pic's of my TC880-2 that I took this morning for you !
As you can see, it is an USA modele like your PSX75.
It was adapted for european voltage. You can see an extra transformer on top left side (picture n°4).
I know that this unit has a very long history. Maybe Axel can give us some more details.

4278442785 427864278742788427894279042793

Stoffie
03-12-2007, 09:05 AM
Very nice man ! Looks mint ! I have never heard a reel to reel tapedeck in my life... what's the quality on those things like ?

http://www.thevintageknob.org/SONY/sonyvault/TC8802/TC8802.html

This is the page on Axel's website about the TC880-2, if you have not already read it :)

Maurice442
03-12-2007, 04:58 PM
Hi everybody, I'm including a few old pics (sorry could not access my retouching prog on my main system...motherboard blown..) I will take some recent pics of the various components I have later and I will also take some nudies...
Thanks to all those who posted their pics, I had some GOOD flashbacks...
Keep on Sonying...
Maurice
le Sony Canadien errant...

Stoffie
03-12-2007, 05:43 PM
Damn dude, I already knew you were a bass head, but ummm... :D

Very nice setup ! I recognize some of my own loved items in there :)

Yamaha B-2
03-12-2007, 09:24 PM
Got the TA-N86B back from Warren (dr*audio) who did a complete recap (Panasonic FC/FM and Nichicon - 105C) and rebuild of the switching power supply. Warren told me that this is one of the finest sounding amps he has heard. At least the equal of his KW 600. So good he didn't want to turn it off. So it comes back to me fully broken-in. :D

I had to get the power light LED mounted as the front on this and the matching TA-E86B had been butchered by some idiot with his hacksaw. Got the ends machined square so looks decent. Everything back together and pushing the NS-1000s. Not quite the authority of the B-2, but very musical/lyrical. Excellent. In Class A it just can't do it with only 18wpc. Those old 30cm woofers take a bit of grunt to move. Neither Warren or I agree with Axel's feeling about the TA-N86B in Class A/B. We think it sounds great!! Tried to get another one that was fried on eBay today. But it went for $125+, which is more than I wanted to pay. Thought about running them as monoblocs. Can't wait to get the TA-E86B back together to join it. Same deal on the faceplate and mounting of the power LED.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n301/gpdavis2/TA-N86B.jpg

Stoffie
03-12-2007, 09:55 PM
Another nice one in your collection Glenn ! According to Mirko it can sound a bit grainy in the midrange ?

I thought about getting a matching N86 for my E86 pre, as it was pretty much 9/10 mint and use it as a bedroom setup, but I sold it to cover for my PS-X75. This hobby is expensive and I already have too many stereo to cover all the rooms in my house.

At least that's what I'm trying to tell myself :boring:

axel
03-13-2007, 01:42 AM
Glenn,

The Class A / Class B thing is slight but I did notice it right away when I bought my first N86B: more "distinguished" sound with Class A.
My working N86B has become my only daily amp (until the N7 can receive its safety overhaul that is) and I find it to be an excellent amp indeed, as do the many owners: the N86 sold very very well worldwide - another now unknown gem from Sony :)
The other one I have seems to bear dead caps in the PLPS.
Glad you like the N86 !

patrick66
03-13-2007, 04:32 AM
Hi Stoffie,

If you are still looking for Sony speakers, there is a pair of APM-550 MK II for sell on the german Ebay at this moment (item n° 180095658276).

Here is my "stereo " + "home video" setup
TA-N80ES + TA-E1000ESD + CDP X777ES + CABASSE CLIPPER III

And for the rear channel
TA-F300 + SS-MB250H

Through the window you can see in the background the mediterranean sea side ...:yes:

absolon
03-13-2007, 03:48 PM
The irony!

I finally found a vintage Sony that uses the 2SC633A transistor I've been looking for:banana:

In fact, this unit has 10 of them on the multiplex board in it's tuner section:thmbsp:

The only minor problem is that it is the multiplex board in my 6060F:lmao:

Brian
03-13-2007, 04:01 PM
How many of them do you need? Do you happen to now if they are also found in the 6120? I am have a solution for you.

Yamaha B-2
03-13-2007, 04:25 PM
EW suggests the following: "The C633A is nothing special. 25V, 200mA, 250mW, B=400, 140MHz. I'd replace with ZTX694B to make sure I had enough gain."

Unda Maris
03-13-2007, 04:35 PM
The grainy sound thing with my two TA-N86B (both are dead now) could be the result of capacitor aging of the storage capacitors on the main board.
The same issue could be the reason, why my N86īs sound(ed) significantly different in Class A and Class B and Axelīs still slightly different. So recapping at least these capacitors with something more beefy (very low ESR and max. capacitance) could improve the sound to a level it doesnīt sound grainy anymore ... :scratch2: :scratch2: :scratch2: Iīm really curious.

Btw: I used my N86, E86 combo in class A for many years ...
This little baby amplifier gets sooo hot, sooooooo, that canīt be healthy for electrolytic capacitors.

absolon: I would also try to take a look into a ST-5000F :)
If you really need a replacement, try NTE85 or NTE293, even the good old 2N3904 could work ...

Attention: ZTX694B has a different pinout, otherwise perhaps the best replacement
Where should it be used ?

Yamaha B-2
03-13-2007, 04:42 PM
Amen on that heat issue. Even in Class A/B it runs quite warm. That is one reason that the recap consisted of 105C caps rather than the standard 85C everywhere possible. And all caps were replaced, not just those in the audio path. Should contribute to a nice, long life.

When Warren was menitoning how delightful it sounded it made me harken back to the time I ran (for ten years) Bryston's 2B-LP amp. It, like the TA-N86B, has only a single pair of output devices per side. I am beginning to believe that this is one reason that it sounds so 'uncongested' and clean. As does the 2B-LP. Probably a similar reason that good 2-way speakers also sound so clean and uncongested.

Unda Maris
03-13-2007, 04:51 PM
Glenn, that theory may be partly right, but:

Two single output devices show higher transient thermal response effects, which makes Class B a difficult or even impossible thing.

The best would be two single output transistors, running in cascode (in series) with two additional ones (preferably V-FETs), so that the first transistor pair sees only a fraction of the supply voltage ...

This would be something like 1/3 of a TA-N7B ... :)

Unda Maris
03-13-2007, 06:02 PM
Hello Patrick ! :wave:

You should show your hand-brushed TA-N7 special edition model a little bit closer ... The last photos I got from you were looking not bad ... :)

Stoffie
03-13-2007, 06:03 PM
Woohoo, I got a Sony cdp-x777es for my birthday as a present. Talk about knowing what I want :D

Mirko & Patrick: what's that about a hand-brushed TA-N7?

restorer-john
03-13-2007, 06:23 PM
my local electronics shop has plenty of stock of original 2SC634 if you need them let me know. It depends if you want your gear as close to original as possible. Random replacements with ZTX and non japanese replacements certainly doesn't help the originality or ultimate collectors value. An equivalent is only ever that and I only use them as a last resort.

Maurice442
03-13-2007, 06:47 PM
Hi Absolon, I was checking in my Sony Replacement Semiconductor Handbook (1982) and they recommend a 2SC1364 for the 2SC633A, I hope this one is easier to find.... I still have two in stock if you need them...
Maurice

axel
03-14-2007, 03:02 AM
here's the current system.

hello John :wave:

axel
03-14-2007, 03:05 AM
Woohoo, I got a Sony cdp-x777es for my birthday as a present. Talk about knowing what I want :D
Mirko & Patrick: what's that about a hand-brushed TA-N7?

Nice 17kg birthday present ! Did you receive it in champagne or black ?

A hand-brushed N7B is an N7B that was "refinished" by the original owner and sanded down to bare aluminium by the present owner, Patrick that is. So it makes a silver N7B.

patrick66
03-14-2007, 04:03 AM
Hi,

Here are some pic's of my TA-N7:

1) How it was outside!

2) How it was inside !

3) I totally disassembled the TA-N7 for cleaning and repainting
I did this because the inside of the amplifier was really in bad state :
full of greasy black dust on the boards and on the wires, lot of rusty
spots and oxydation on the frame. Really ugly !

4) Re assembling !

5) The sanded front plate

5) Like it looks now !

Yamaha B-2
03-14-2007, 04:58 AM
Patrick - Looks good.:thmbsp: Could you provide a few details on the sanding/refinishing of the faceplate? I will be doing similar work on the faceplates of my TA-E86B/N86B pair. I thinking of starting with 400 grit wet paper and working up to 1100 grit. Used to get excellent finish on some target modules we used in scattering experiments in grad school using this method. At least Sony was nice enough to machine/stamp the name/numbers into the faceplate rather than silk-screen.

Stoffie
03-14-2007, 06:08 AM
Axel:
it's the black version, however without the wooden sidepanels, although I am not sure whether I would like them on in my setup. I could always do as Glenn did and have some nicer ones made :) I actually got it myself, but the family pitched in to pay for it for my birthday. How nice !

Patrick:
that was some seriously damaged and messed up N7... impressive restoring project I've got to say ! And it looks like mine ! :D
Mine was pretty nice inside, apart from needing many components changed (pics are in this thread), and outside it is 95% mint, just one tiny little nick on top of the faceplate.

Glenn: good luck on restoring your TA-E86/N86 combo! You should have bought my TA-E86B ;)

Btw did anyone see this auction for two Sony NR-1 monoblocks ? They went for more than 5000€...
http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150099109157&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=005

patrick66
03-14-2007, 06:36 AM
Hi

For the front panel of my TA-N7, I used this sanding paper - 3M

Because the original surface was very hard (anodization ?) and had very deep marks, I started with paper n°60 then n°80 and I finished with n°120. It is very important to sand always in the same direction, for example from left to right and be parallel to the edge of the panel.

After that, I protected it with a varnish for car painting.

Yamaha B-2
03-14-2007, 06:40 AM
Thanks. Sure looks good. May change the color of the paint in the lettering to black. Or bright red (Ferrari?).

axel
03-14-2007, 06:58 AM
Thanks. Sure looks good. May change the color of the paint in the lettering to black. Or bright red (Ferrari?).

I stongly recommend to avoid red :-)
The original 86 units were silver: the "B" colouring was export only and also later. Lettering was done in light black (or very dark grey), the exact reverse of the shunned/veiled white lettering export scheme.

SteveP
03-14-2007, 08:56 AM
Wow! Great job on the restoration Patrick!

Steve.

patrick66
03-14-2007, 12:17 PM
Hi,

I you need more about "How to brush Aluminum" look at this :

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=114028

I used this method for my TA-N7 !

absolon
03-14-2007, 01:59 PM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions on replacements and offers. I should have no trouble finding a replacement but thought I would see if I could find the 633A in the scrap piles I have access to. Just noticed while sizing up the 6060F for an attempt at a repair that it was rich in them. Unda Maris, thanks for that suggestion on the 5000F but I'd rather keep that one running even though it is stuck in mono. Anyone know where I can find another for parts?

Brian, I'm going to stick my amateur paws into the 6060F and may end up doing more damage than good in the process. A parts unit might not be a bad idea if you're thinking about thinning out your herd of them.

Brian
03-14-2007, 03:42 PM
I really do not have a parts unit as all 3 of the 6060s work but 2 do not have working mpx. In mono they sound as good as my working unit and 1 of them I've had gone through but the mpx was beyond the tech's expertise. Now that the 6120 is finally moving forward and when the Sherwoods have been given the a'ok, if Warren is willing, I may ship 1 of them to him to tackle the mpx board or simply send him the 1 that works and let him tackle the drift problem. The reason I asked about the 6120 is that I have a carcass on its way to Warren sans the faceplate, knobs and glass.

gilbodavid
03-14-2007, 06:05 PM
Hello all. My TA-2000F needs for its mc phono stage to work, two of each 2SK2332, and 2SC926A. One seller thought the 926A could be replaced by the 780A. Any thoughts or advice on suppliers, as the ones I've emailed seem a little reticent to reply. Cheers, David

Yamaha B-2
03-14-2007, 06:17 PM
I you need more about "How to brush Aluminum" look at this: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=114028 I used this method for my TA-N7 !Thanks for the info. I'll probably do a 'polished' front on mine. Will show off the Ferrari red lettering better. :D

Stoffie
03-14-2007, 06:38 PM
Ack ! Heresy ! :tears:

Yamaha B-2
03-14-2007, 06:41 PM
Ok. Ok. Make it yellow.

Stoffie
03-14-2007, 07:59 PM
Hehe. I do like the Enzo, but you can't be serious about these colors dude ! :D

Yamaha B-2
03-14-2007, 08:16 PM
Red or yellow would match my red and yellow NS-1000s (one is Ferrari red, the other is Ferrari yellow). Just like my bicycle. :D (Axel - how do you like those French wheels.)

But, I'll probably go for this. Am going to spray the heatsinks black rather than that horrible Sony brown. Then black lettering against the polished aluminum faceplate. :thmbsp:

Stoffie
03-14-2007, 08:38 PM
:) Safe in that knowledge, I think I can go to sleep now!

devo391
03-17-2007, 11:52 AM
I just picked these up mostly for curiousity. They are very cool and sort of exotic vintage pieces so it is rather sad that they do not have a place in my system but at least I can say I have had the chance to play with them:D

My original plan for these was to replace my main rig with these however as impulse purchasing usually goes I have found that the amplifier is not compatible with my speakers. Impulse buying is such fun though and there is nothing like the thrill of taking that long drive to go pick up your gear so I am sure I will continue to grab things I cannot use just to say I have had them:scratch2:

Yamaha B-2
03-17-2007, 12:23 PM
I have found that the amplifier is not compatible with my speakers.Is this the pair the was listed on Audiogon?

Am most curious why you found them incompatible with your speakers. Could you tell us what speakers and elaborate on why you found them incompatible?

devo391
03-17-2007, 01:03 PM
Is this the pair the was listed on Audiogon?

Am most curious why you found them incompatible with your speakers. Could you tell us what speakers and elaborate on why you found them incompatible?

As a matter of fact I did find these on Audiogon, one of the deciding factors in my pulling the trigger on them was that the owner was also one of the reviewer's of these when they first came out and that this pair was a pre release set that was tweaked for lowest distortion etc. by the Sony engineer's themselves and then because of the good review given they presented these to him as a gift and he has had them since. The owner was also the man behind Sight's & Sounds in Chicago and was also a dealer of high end gear, I found all this to be quite interesting and actually spent half a day with him drooling over everything else he had that he is in the process of getting rid of due to his upcoming move to another Country.

I have since learned that the amplifier is not capable of running sustained impedance values below 4 Ohms and since my speakers measure 3.2 Ohms before applying a signal I deemed this to be certain disaster after also learning that the VFET transistors are unobtainium so rather than risk F##ng up a beautiful low hour set of survivor's I should bow out before any destruction can take place. I am totally unsure as to what I should do with them, should I have them gone through and then sell them? or should I keep them as an investment? I must figure this out quick as I am going back to work after my yearly lay off in three days!

Basically I like it loud sometimes and do not feel comfortable in asking this amp to do what I regularly call upon my current Phase Linear 700B to do and yes I have blown the output transistors twice on my 700B and now run dual cooling fans on her to keep things under control.

Yamaha B-2
03-17-2007, 01:29 PM
Interesting story. But you are correct about them being too tender to risk with that load. Too bad they are not a good match. If were me, I would pass them along to another (as I did with my set), but make them aware of the need to update the diodes, etc., before extended use. Hopefully another AKer will get to enjoy them. Good luck.

devo391
03-17-2007, 02:10 PM
Interesting story. But you are correct about them being too tender to risk with that load. Too bad they are not a good match. If were me, I would pass them along to another (as I did with my set), but make them aware of the need to update the diodes, etc., before extended use. Hopefully another AKer will get to enjoy them. Good luck.

You are probably right in that I should pass it along, I just wish I could stop pulling the trigger on things such as this but I just cannot help myself:D I am running the amp right now as we speak in a bi-amp configuration so it is only running one set of speakers at 4 Ohms and I also layed a low flow cooling fan on top over the outputs, it sounds excellent and is every bit as alive sounding as my Phase Linear 700B with maybe a little more brightness in the midrange but that may be just because of the way I have the level adjusted between the two amps. I will enjoy playing with it today, I have noticed that one of the light beam meters is sticky otherwise seems A.O.K.

Happy St. Patricks Day!

shacky
03-17-2007, 03:28 PM
I've posted my Sony 6065 before. Just took it out of storage and put it in my main system while I work on my Sansui 890DB. I had preferred the Sansui becasue of it's great low end oomph. But let me tell you the Sony is no slouch. Haven't listened to it is several months and it is a pleasant surprise. It can go deep! Not the overpowering Sansui deep but probably a more "tube-like" bass with plenty of power.

Speakers are AR 2AX which like a lot of power. Soundstage, midrange and highs are better than the Sansui. Tuner is pulling in Buffalo station a bit better than the Sansui as well.

Sony's are great! :banana:

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q227/shacky1973/IMGP2076.jpg

Jon S
03-18-2007, 03:26 PM
devo391,
if you don't mind my asking... how much did you pay for the Sonys?

devo391
03-18-2007, 05:25 PM
:guitar: These are the ones from Audiogon and the seller wanted $750 for each unit and that is what I paid for them. Yes that is probably top dollar for these but other than the sticky light beam meter they are as close to mint condition as I have ever had and the amp is powering a pair of Altec A7's as I write this.

Stoffie
03-20-2007, 12:17 PM
Soon I will have some Sony SS-G4 speakers to test out. Curious how that will sound. I am very happy with my current KEF IQ5's, they are splendid for jazz, classical and anything vocal, but not as rocking with rock and metal as I though or would have liked. We will see how the Sony's fare...

110 mile drive to go get them, but at 60 euros I could not let these slip :)

Keep on wondering about a pair of NS 1000's though...

Brian
03-20-2007, 08:17 PM
Okay boys, after a year it is packed and ready for shipping. The STR6120 is finally back together. Sadly, it is the busy season so when I get it, it will be May before I can get it set up. I want to thank Warren for his patience in this as he had it for what about a year while locating a dial plate. It has had the magic hands of Echowars and Warren on it so I'm confident that I might have the cat's meow of 6120s.

Oh, if anyone needs a 6120 dial plate Warren scanned the replacement so no one should hopefully have to go through the long search. It also fits the 6200.

Yamaha B-2
03-20-2007, 08:37 PM
Congrats. Hope this makes it worth getting that digital camera so you can post pic's. :D

Brian
03-20-2007, 08:48 PM
WHAT! That is like saying I should get a home theatre system. Actually it reinforces my committment to vintage; maybe time to get me another Polaroid 195 or 180. VINTAGE FOREVER!

Admittedly, my cell phone has a camera built-in. Maybe 1 day I'll learn how to use it.

bloodrock
03-22-2007, 08:05 PM
Here are my Sonys. Sony PS-X 75 TT, Sony X7ESD cd player, Sony STR-V4 receiver.

Stoffie
04-01-2007, 04:52 PM
Very nice bloodrock !

Picked up a pair of Sony SS-G4D's today. Damn those boys are big... hardly have space in my living room to put them, along my KEF's...

But they sound wonderful to me, even though they do not have the original tweeters anymore, they sound very composed, pretty tight, transparent, and just very easy to listen to with whatever music you throw at them.

I think these are going to be keepers. Knowing these were kinda designed as competitors to the great Yamaha NS-1000's, I now wonder what a pair of those would sound like...

Some day... when I can afford a pair ;)

http://users.telenet.be/kristof.haezebrouck1/sony/SSG4/DSC00255_rs.jpg

http://users.telenet.be/kristof.haezebrouck1/sony/SSG4/DSC00257_rs.jpg

http://users.telenet.be/kristof.haezebrouck1/sony/SSG4/DSC00258_rs.jpg

http://users.telenet.be/kristof.haezebrouck1/sony/SSG4/DSC00259_rs.jpg

http://users.telenet.be/kristof.haezebrouck1/sony/SSG4/DSC00144_rs.jpg

Unda Maris
04-02-2007, 11:51 AM
The SS-G series is a good example, that most of SONYs higher quality gear is tremendously underrated.

IMO the SS-G lineīs CARBOCON midranges are among the best midranges ever made.

I know not a single recent mid range cone driver from companies like Scan Speak or Focal, which could match them regarding smoothness, sensitivity and natural reproduction.

Everybody knows NS-1000 and SX-1980, but who knows these Sonys ...

Unda Maris
04-02-2007, 11:54 AM
Btw.: Nice find Stoffie, quite a rare bird.

Are the midrange dust caps of your SS-G4īs OK ?

Stoffie
04-02-2007, 12:06 PM
Hey Mirko!

Yeah they are absolutely fine, too bad the original tweeters have been replaced by other ones, although they do sound very nice still. According to the dude I bought them from, who used to have a pair of SS-G3's, the stock tweeters sounded kinda tame... but ofcourse I have no base for comparison.

I have been listening to these all evening now, and they definitely sound absolutely amazing for speakers this old...

But anyway, also got another goodie in the mail today, my long-awaited CDP-X777ES... (see pics). It has a few nicks and scuffs, but it works beautifully. Cd access is the fastest I have ever seen, amazing...

Sounds great on the Sony's, although their placement at the moment (working on it) makes them sound a bit bass-heavy, but still everything sounds very clear and composed, it does not seem to swamp anything else.

Gonna have to connect my KEF's again to compare the sound to my DVP-NS900V. Fun fun fun, so much playing around to do ! :music:

gilbodavid
04-02-2007, 02:43 PM
hello stoffie. i've just got some ss-G3's in pretty good nick with origional cones i think. they are a bit woollie, which makes me think re-cap, but have a relaxed easy and at the same time very nice sound so far. not quite up to quad esl territory, but having played both immediately after each other, i think these sony's were voiced on the quads, as their presentation is remarkably similar. Waiting for my sony amps to return from menders still then i'll have a better idea. cheers, david

Stoffie
04-02-2007, 02:50 PM
Hey david, I have been listening to them all night, and I think maybe the fact that mine have newer tweeters makes them sound a bit fresher than stock models. Not sure though. Mine don't sound wooly at all, bass is actually pretty crisp and taut for such big woofers, midrange is warm yet detailed and highs are sweet and informative.

Like you say, a very enjoyable speaker to listen to. Enjoy yours !

Yamaha B-2
04-02-2007, 09:03 PM
Here are a couple of pic's of my new Sony TT. Pretty nice. Just wish I wasn't such a liar.:nono: Actually, this is from a current listing on Audiogon for $2300 from Hong Kong. Didn't want to post the link as it would be bounced over to 'Dollars & Sense'. Enjoy the pic's and dream on.
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n301/gpdavis2/TTS-8000.jpg
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n301/gpdavis2/TTS-8000-2.jpg

reggaenaut
04-03-2007, 12:17 AM
This one is pretty!

Stoffie
04-03-2007, 12:22 AM
Is that a TTS-6000 or 8000 on a TB-2000 base?

Nice find Glenn!

theophile
04-03-2007, 01:55 AM
Congrats Y B-2,
She's a looker.The more time I get under my belt(no pun intended)with direct drives,the less I contemplate Belt.
I feel that isolating these unsuspended DDs is important to unlocking potential which even their designers would not have realised.
The V-fet poweramps will thank you.

Yamaha B-2
04-03-2007, 05:04 AM
Thanks, guys. But, let me restate, I only posted this for the picture value. I don't actually own this TT, but thought us Sonyophiles would appreciate the pic's. Sorry to mislead anyone.

Seller (Audiogon) states that it is a TTS-8000 and a Sony pre-production plinth. $2300 for both or the TTS-8000, only, for $1300. Free shipping from Hong Kong. But is not mine. Wish it were. But, I'm TT rich at the moment. And my TTs have to be semi-auto (can't be bothered to get up when the TT wants me to).

Stoffie
04-03-2007, 05:55 AM
Totally overlooked that :)

Would be a nice table to own, but I also prefer the ease of not having to get up :D

Brian
04-03-2007, 10:53 AM
Must not be much. Looks designed to be a portable as it has handles and being black must be BPC :). You should buy it and disprove my observation. Bet it has 1 of those old Sony vertical smaller amps and FM tuners on the back. Ya know, the ST88 tuner and the matching amp. I'll bet it is a KLH 20 in disguise.

It is a nice looking unit and not something designed to be hidden.

restorer-john
04-03-2007, 04:58 PM
I had a pair of SSg5's and compared them with my SSg333es and timewindows side by side and they were dreadful by comparision so I sold them. I recently picked up a massive pair of SSg7's (yes the big ones) and sold them to my friend for using with his perreaux 2150B amp. Very efficient at 94dB and brutally revealing, but the midrange is raucous to say the least. I often wonder whether listening to smaller two ways condtions one into actaully forgetting what good midrange is. If I have been listening to two ways for 6 months, even a NS1000 sounds nasty in the mid, but I know it isn't. Anyone else noticed that phenomenom? Construction is superb however.

junkaudio
04-03-2007, 05:02 PM
try the ss-g7 with a v-fet or good tube amp .

Yamaha B-2
04-03-2007, 05:03 PM
Have always had a preference for 2-way speakers. Until the NS-1000/M, that is. They are the first 3-way speakers that have been able to keep up with a 2-way in terms of clarity and speed in the mid/tweeter ranges.

restorer-john
04-03-2007, 05:22 PM
Yes Yamaha, know what you mean. I am currently using a small pair of Sony APM121ES (uk/german/japanese made yes!*) 2 way speakers and although the bottom end is not huge, the speakers are just astounding for the enjoyment they give you. My room is an acoustic disaster with 35 foot high angled sawtooth ceilings and parallel (4.5m apart) walls that are 50+ ft long (an old warehouse apartment) and solid timber flooring so practically any speaker sounds dreadful. It's funny, the timewindows sound good and small two ways, but bigger three ways are a mess in here. DOesn't matter what amplification you strap on the front (valves can't cut it due to the sheer internal volume of this room), things don't get much better.

Stoffie
04-03-2007, 06:11 PM
I have always wondered what those apm's sound like. If you say those small things sound pretty good, I wonder what the top of the lines models sound like... probably will never find a pair anyway...

How about those ss-g333es though ? Are those any good ? They seem pretty damn rare too !

restorer-john
04-03-2007, 08:08 PM
Hey Stoffie, the APM121es speakers sound better than they deserve to. I picked them up for $70 pair. They are quite solid for their size but I really didn't expect much. I actually have another pair of 3 way APM's downstairs but I think a few drivers are out, If you want, I will have a look at them to see what works and what doesn't if you need any parts. I was thinking of stripping them and donating the parts to an AK'er who needs the drivers as they are all unobtanium now:thmbsp: My g333es are beautiful, mint and in their boxes along with matching ws333es stands (about 10kg each stand). I don't use them here but I will get them out soon. They are my favourite speaker by a long shot.

Stoffie
04-04-2007, 01:35 AM
Pictures !!!! ;-)

Would be interested to know about the APM's, although shipping whatever from Australia to Europe would be an expensive undertaking...

restorer-john
04-04-2007, 06:26 AM
I'll post some pics of the ssg7 drivers (mid and tweeters) as I repaired the tweeters due to an interesting failure, the voice coil former and coil detaches from the titanium dome due to the glue (like old yellow epoxy) just goes brittle and falls off. you end up with the voil coil floating in the gap and little or no output until the lead wire snaps off altogether. The fix is complicated due to the removal of the acoustic lens but a great repair when done.

Stoffie
04-04-2007, 06:54 AM
Cool stuff! Please also post some pics of your SS-G333ES, unless I overlooked them earlier in this thread.

axel
04-04-2007, 08:44 AM
The audiogon TT is a TTS-8000 in one of the four available (sort of) sample bases, two of hich were sized as the TB-2000 but different...

since this is the Sony thread, here is the first APM-6 pair to resurface since verrrrry long: http://www.hifido.co.jp/KW/G/P0/A10/E/10-10/S0/C07-29391-88218-00/

...it was instantly put on "nego" (ie. it is sold already) and it still costs 360,000Y. How's that for rarity?

axel
04-04-2007, 09:27 AM
previsibly, the surrounds on that pair of APM-6 have been redone (which one can see easily) - the original surrounds were foamy black.

Stoffie
04-04-2007, 10:41 AM
Oh how I envy the person that will get those apm's...

I especially like he design of the APM-6's. It just looks right and the used materials make it look awesome.

I think a set like that will remain a dream for the rest of my life...

Yamaha B-2
04-04-2007, 03:49 PM
I had a pair of SSg5's and compared them with my SSg333es and timewindows side by side and they were dreadful by comparision so I sold them. I recently picked up a massive pair of SSg7's (yes the big ones) and sold them to my friend for using with his perreaux 2150B amp. Very efficient at 94dB and brutally revealing, but the midrange is raucous to say the least. I often wonder whether listening to smaller two ways condtions one into actaully forgetting what good midrange is. If I have been listening to two ways for 6 months, even a NS1000 sounds nasty in the mid, but I know it isn't. Anyone else noticed that phenomenom? Construction is superb however.How about pic's of everything? I've not seen the SSg333ES and would be interested in seeing them, as well.

Axcel
04-04-2007, 04:01 PM
picked this rec up for $5 at our Sal Army. Very impressed with it :thmbsp: nice fm section excellent wood cabinet, aluminum controls. Just had some dirty switches but after cleaning them its a keeper.

the-real-mandak
04-04-2007, 06:23 PM
Beautiful speakers axel. But what about those feet, are they org.? They look like some design error from IKEA.

Axcel
04-04-2007, 07:45 PM
Beautiful speakers axel. But what about those feet, are they org.? They look like some design error from IKEA.
What pic are you looking at?:smoke:

Yamaha B-2
04-04-2007, 07:54 PM
Axcel - Check the link in post #934. We all love your STR-6055. Great little receiver. MRSP of $280 in 1973 and 40wpc.

the-real-mandak
04-04-2007, 09:06 PM
The Sony APM-6 as B-2 mention the link in #934 posted by axel.

MSRP $8.413 year 1982, sold for $3.028 in 2007 not bad indeed.

axel
04-05-2007, 02:49 AM

stands are not original. they were like those you can see on TVK for the APM-6 and -4.

Axcel
04-05-2007, 07:48 AM
The Sony APM-6 as B-2 mention the link in #934 posted by axel.

MSRP $8.413 year 1982, sold for $3.028 in 2007 not bad indeed.
sorry to many Axcels I guess:music:

gilbodavid
04-05-2007, 05:02 PM
Ah, interesting. also picked up some apm-20es speakers cheap. been comparing them to my ss-3's, and some yamaha ns-615's. only on t-amp still, but i have to say i get swung 3 ways. initially it was the atm's that had more life and musicality, then the ss-3's seemed easier to listen to for long periods, then the yammies, which in immediate comparisons fell below the other 2, suddenly became surprisingly nice. I await my sony amps for better comparison. i still wonder if cap changes in the older ss-3's might reap bebefits. Another sneaky sleeper may be mine soon....

gilbodavid
04-05-2007, 05:11 PM
and i love those apm-6's too. I've just redecorated my living room, and am for the first time in my life looking for speakers that look good in my room!!!! Quads are definately going! Trouble is, i've lived with their midrange for 5 years. Nothing has equalled it yet, except Avantgarde duo's played with $50,000 of amplification. Visually Martin logans may be ok, smp-6's ... mmm.. but at Ģ1500 i think not.

Yamaha B-2
04-05-2007, 05:21 PM
and i love those apm-6's too. I've just redecorated my living room, and am for the first time in my life looking for speakers that look good in my room!!!! Quads are definately going! Trouble is, i've lived with their midrange for 5 years. Nothing has equalled it yet, except Avantgarde duo's played with $50,000 of amplification. Visually Martin logans may be ok, smp-6's ... mmm.. but at Ģ1500 i think not.Did you find the proper transistors for the MC section on your TA-2000F? And, when do we get the pic's? This is the "Show Us Your Sonys" thread, afterall. :D Would like to see what you are talking about.

IsakAlexande
04-12-2007, 12:52 AM
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q26/IsakAlexander/Div1008.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q26/IsakAlexander/Div1009.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q26/IsakAlexander/Div1011.jpg

I like it a lot. What do you think?

Stoffie
04-12-2007, 03:14 AM
Cool! A pre-trinitron Sony tv! Love the design :)

What year is it from ?

bully
04-12-2007, 07:24 AM
Neat old TV.

Jon S
04-12-2007, 09:54 PM
well, this is a B&W tv, so it can't be a trinitron, which is a color crt design.

Gems4u
04-15-2007, 03:23 PM
I'm not a techie, so just smile if this sounds knave. Some contributors
claim their Sony receivers have better tuner sections than any stand alone
tuner out there. Better than a Sony ST-5000F? Or ST-5950SD, which
I just purchased ( anyone knowing where I can obtain schematics would be
a friend indeed )? Better than the top tuners on the Tunerinfo site?
And how do you know; can the tuner section be isolated and run through an outside amplifier? Maybe I should sell my TU-S9 and the 5950 and pay
whatever it takes to grab a very top end receiver. Help out this over-medicated old man and point me in the right direction; it would be most
appreciated.

Ron

Yamaha B-2
04-15-2007, 03:34 PM
Some contributors claim their Sony receivers have better tuner sections than any stand alone tuner out there. RonSome receiver folks are simply over-wrought in their enthusiasm. :D While there are several TOTL Sony receivers that have excellent 5-gang tuners in them, when at their best, I doubt that they are 'better' than the two you mentioned, as well as several others from Sony and some of those on the TIC. Please note that the listings on the TIC 'Shootout' are one man's opinion and not a universal truth. Only your ears can provide that. :music:

EricC
04-15-2007, 04:23 PM
Some receiver folks are simply over-wrought in their enthusiasm. :D

You can say that again!

Any way you look at it moving to a receiver from seperated will be taking a step back. I'd stick with what you have and get it brought up to spec. Don't get me wrong there are some great receivers out there but Sony made far too many very good seperates to warrent that move unless you need to downside.

If you have the time, patience and funds try out several tuners in your system.

Whitehall
04-15-2007, 10:38 PM
I've both a Sony ST-5000FW and a STR-6200F. The separate tuner is certainly a bit better but the receiver is more than most people will ever need.

BTW, none of the early TOTL Sony receivers had pre-amp out connections so using them as separate tuners is not very practical unless one uses the record out connections.

Axcel
04-16-2007, 03:37 PM
Some receiver folks are simply over-wrought in their enthusiasm. :D While there are several TOTL Sony receivers that have excellent 5-gang tuners in them, when at their best, I doubt that they are 'better' than the two you mentioned, as well as several others from Sony and some of those on the TIC. Please note that the listings on the TIC 'Shootout' are one man's opinion and not a universal truth. Only your ears can provide that. :music:
agree 100%:thmbsp:

y.e.
04-22-2007, 08:30 AM
Here my TA-E900 compared with the TA-E88B:

More pictures and with higher resolution I've put in the gallery:
http://www.audiokarma.org/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=24138
The nudies (before recapping) are here:
http://audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1095183&postcount=123

As you see the TA-E900 is not in best cosmetic condition. And while it was sold as working it arrived with one defective channel. But after repairing that, recapping and cleaning the switches (http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=109540) it is definitely the best sounding pre-amp I have heard :) :) :)
Except perhaps the (MC-)phono section, here I have the impression that the TA-E88 sounds better. But over the line-inputs music is quiet, stable in the space, precise but nevertheless not annoying in a way I never heard it.

Well I think my search for an adequate pre-amp is over now :D

Stoffie
04-22-2007, 01:28 PM
Wonderful !

Do you think it is really worthwhile to recap the ta-e88b ? Do you have before and after impressions ?

I redid my TA-N7B, which to me, was a titan's work, so...

y.e.
04-22-2007, 05:09 PM
Do you think it is really worthwhile to recap the ta-e88b ? Do you have before and after impressions ?

I redid my TA-N7B, which to me, was a titan's work, so...

I have no "before and after impressions" for the TA-E900. To access all places of the PCB you have to detach it from the sub-frame, therefore you have to remove some of the wires, ...
This work I wanted to do only once and so did the repairs, recapping and cleaning in one effort.

In the TA-E88 however you easily can access (nearly) everything you need after removing the cover and bottom plate. So here you can do the modifications step by step.
It is a while since I did it for the TA-E88, so I can not remember all details. But yes, there was an improvement.
One other thing was that recapping considerably reduced the DC-offset without touching the adjustment pots. Only minor adjustment had to be made after recapping.
The elcos age and dry out. As they do not get very hot in the TA-E88 you may not expect that they already will fail after 20+ years, but also as an act of precaution...

Changing the elcos in the TA-E88 can be done comfortably in one afternoon I think (if you have the tool to unsolder). Only the elcos on the little PCB of the power supply of the head amp make some trubble. Either you have to unsolder this board (I did not do that). Or you have to remove the part of the chassis over the input-output terminals. This takes some work too, but then you can replace the elcos on the little PCB while the other elcos are out of the way.

Cleaning the switches takes moooooore time (it took me about one hour per unit ... after I had some practice). I distributed that work over two and a half saturdays, not to get frustrated ;)

Apart from the elcos there are these small square Tantalum buffer caps. In the TA-E 900 several were defective in the broken channel. So, in the TA-E900, I replaced them all to be on the safe side. But I think they were most likely blown by some over voltage causing (or caused by) the defect of this channel. So it may not be necessary to replace these in the TA-E88 (I did not in mine up to now).

axel
04-28-2007, 03:35 PM
How about pic's of everything? I've not seen the SSg333ES and would be interested in seeing them, as well.

Until John posts images of his own, I've added the SS-G333ES and SS-G777ES in the ES section of TVK.
DO read the technical reviews translated from the original Sony DIGIC articles - they are as close as you will get not to the catalogs but to the people who actually designed the units.
Both loudspeakers are magnificent examples of what educated high-end can be.

> G333ES: http://www.thevintageknob.org/SONY/sonyes/SSG333ES/SSG333ES.html

> G777ES: http://www.thevintageknob.org/SONY/sonyes/SSG777ES/SSG777ES.html

Stoffie
04-28-2007, 06:41 PM
Great reads Axel. Always a pleasure to see a TVK update :)

absolon
04-29-2007, 12:07 AM
Saw this today and picked it up solely to satisfy my curiosity.

What a piece of work! It's a DTC-1000, according to Orion, a $2400 piece of equipment in the late 80's.

Panel lights come on and tape drawer works although a bit lazy closing. I've no media so I have no idea if it actually works, and if it does, what to do with it.

It goes at least 20 pounds or better, much of it in extensive use of copper in the chassis and shielding and an enormous transformer mounted on the rear outside the copper shield.

S/N is A700282, DAC is a Philips TDA1541A and it appears identical to axel's listing on the DTC-1000ES.

Any suggestions on where to find a DAT tape. Can this use the same media as Colorado tape drives for computers?

axel
04-29-2007, 12:54 AM
DDS tapes work fine in DAT decks - but it seems you shouldn't overdo it. for a test it is fine.
the 1000ES is an excellent machine, 1st gen' DAT - I regret mine.

Yamaha B-2
04-29-2007, 05:54 AM
Dick - PM me with your snail mail address and I'll send along a few DAT tapes I have laying around.

bully
04-29-2007, 07:08 AM
Dick - PM me with your snail mail address and I'll send along a few DAT tapes I have laying around.

Wow, is AK a great website, or what!

absolon
04-29-2007, 10:20 AM
Much appreciated Glenn, PM sent.

Yamaha B-2
05-03-2007, 06:38 PM
Look what just showed up on my doorstep. Needs a set of bulbs (lucky me, I have a set left over from my last one - somewhere). Haven't owned one of these wonderful beasts for quite some time. Really looking forward to getting it cleaned up, rebulbed, fixing the veneer and playing loudy. IMHO, these huge red meters cannot be beat. Here's the link to Axel's great review and pic's of the meters when properly lit. What might look like scratches and mars are actually little bits of styrofoam from the packing. http://www.thevintageknob.org/SONY/sonyes/TAN77ES/TAN77ES.html

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n301/gpdavis2/SonyTA-N77ES.jpg

Stoffie
05-03-2007, 07:30 PM
Going back to your old love I see !

Definitely need pics of those glowing orange/red meters once you've located the bulbs :D

bully
05-03-2007, 08:37 PM
Hey Yammie B-2!
Lemme know about the C-2x. It was superb stock. How does the EW modded monster preamp sound?
BTW, nice Sony amp.

Yamaha B-2
05-04-2007, 04:32 AM
Hey Yammie B-2!
Lemme know about the C-2x. It was superb stock. How does the EW modded monster preamp sound?
BTW, nice Sony amp.A moderator needs to move this off-topic post to the Yamaha thread. :D

billyboyJBL
05-04-2007, 04:04 PM
i know its a sony but:
1 what is it?
2 what does it do?
3 how can i use it?
picked up for a song,:thmbsp:

shacky
05-04-2007, 04:40 PM
Looks like quad preamp. Nice!

Yamaha B-2
05-09-2007, 07:15 PM
Just picked up a nice, clean TA-2000F to match my TA-3200F. Both the better looking later models with the machined knobs. Need to find a set of the similar knobs for my ST-5000FW so they all match (may have to buy something just for the knobs). Perhaps I'll match up with the PS-8750 and go shopping for a proper set of vintage Sony speakers. Something to play with on those long winter nights next year (good recap is in order, I am sure).

tcdriver
05-09-2007, 08:19 PM
1 what is it? It is a high quality SQ quadraphonic decoder.

2 what does it do? It was designed to decode SQ matix quadraphonic records and tapes. During the quadraphonic era the most popular format was the SQ matrix system.

3 how can i use it? To play four-channel (quadraphonic) sources you will need four speakers and the amplifiers to drive them. The most common way that decoder was used was as an add-on to an existing stereo receiver or integrated amplifier. The Sony is inserted in the tape monitor loop and the additional stereo amplifier and speakers are fed from the rear channel outputs on the unit. Many SQ records were made and many are still available second hand through popular internet auction websites. Regular two-channel stereo records can often “decode” well through the SQ decoder and give very convincing pseudo-quadraphonic sound. Give it a try. It should be a lot of fun.

Post #773 in this thread shows my Sony SQ decoder with a SQ record and SQ tape.
http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=1010098&highlight=quadraphonic#post1010098

jocko_nc
05-09-2007, 08:26 PM
I found this one at the GW this week... A STR6120 that ought to clean up well enough.

Funny, this thing only has FM band. ???.

Yamaha B-2
05-10-2007, 04:42 AM
STR-6120 is a great find. Considered one of Sony's finest, therefore one of the finest ever. And, is only FM as is the TOTL of the time and the fidelity of AM is so poor, why compromise you TOTL model with the addition of a low-end (fidelity speaking) format? Has a terrific tuner. dr*audio has become a bit of an expert on cleaning up, repairing and aligning this particular unit (along with other vintage Sony receivers), having done Brian's. these units are approaching 40 years of age and benefit greatly from a recap and alignment/adjustment of the tuner. The MPX on these early Sony's have some unobtanium parts in them, so use great care if you tackle any work yourself. There is quite a bit of info available on AK (do a search of this thread and the Vintage forum) on this particular unit as several of us own them.

Axel has posted some good info here: http://www.thevintageknob.org/SONY/sonyvault/STR6120/STR6120.html There is quite a bit more difference than one might think reading this. The STR-6200F is more than 5 pounds heavier, with most of this weight going into a more robust power supply.

I have both manuals (thanks Brian/dr*audio for the SM) if you need a copy.

jocko_nc
05-10-2007, 09:50 AM
Wow. I would have placed this unit as more like 1975-1977. It must have been something else in 1968... Real high end, with a price tag to match.

Thanks for the info., I'll definitely take care of her. Very classy.

jocko

monsteramp
05-10-2007, 11:43 AM
hello dear friends of sony i post here my last favorite toy class A with five pair of transistors per channel.

:tresbon: best regards

axel
05-10-2007, 01:07 PM
that's an ESPRIT TA-N902 you have there monsteramp

Holst
05-10-2007, 01:23 PM
Hey Axel, are you ever going to do anything with those ST-5100 scans I sent ya?

monsteramp
05-10-2007, 02:06 PM
Hi axel i have found one of this rare hitems three months ago, and you have right this is one TA-N 902

best regards

the-real-mandak
05-10-2007, 04:01 PM
Any suggestions on where to find a DAT tape?

Maxell still makes them: http://www.maxell-usa.com/index.aspx?id=3;23;422;425&a=info&pid=211
Ever since Emtec (BASF) went out of business we switched to Maxell, they work quite fine, it's not Sony but they are ok.

I think I recorded on around 500 tapes by now and none has come back due to tape error.

junkaudio
05-10-2007, 04:06 PM
hello dear friends of sony i post here my last favorite toy class A with five pair of transistors per channel.

:tresbon: best regards

i had two ta-n902 so far check bias ,it s a bit tricky, sound in low frequence is killer

reggaenaut
05-10-2007, 05:10 PM
I found this one at the GW this week... A STR6120 that ought to clean up well enough.

Funny, this thing only has FM band. ???.
Congrats! Great find. Take care of her;they are not many.

absolon
05-11-2007, 01:11 AM
Nice find YB2. I'll be very interested to hear how the combination fares against the other equipment you have.

Thanks real-mandak, YB2 has kindly offered me some samples so I can determine if this unit functions and try it out.

axel
05-11-2007, 04:34 AM
Maxell still makes them: http://www.maxell-usa.com/index.aspx?id=3;23;422;425&a=info&pid=211
Ever since Emtec (BASF) went out of business we switched to Maxell, they work quite fine, it's not Sony but they are ok.

I think I recorded on around 500 tapes by now and none has come back due to tape error.

The Maxell Pro are the best DAT tapes: lowest error rate even over large rec/play cycles and best mechanical reliability. The ony ones I use since about 1997/98.

axel
05-11-2007, 04:35 AM
Hey Axel, are you ever going to do anything with those ST-5100 scans I sent ya?

Holst,
the 5100 isn't yet planned but eventually will. I think I also got a japanese catalog for it, along the 5600.

Yamaha B-2
05-11-2007, 04:48 AM
Nice find YB2. I'll be very interested to hear how the combination fares against the other equipment you have. Thanks real-mandak, YB2 has kindly offered me some samples so I can determine if this unit functions and try it out.Thanks. Does anyone have the owner's manual for the TA-2000F? Would much appreciate a copy. I'll get the DAT tapes out next week, now that I've dug through the basement and found them. They came with a DTC-2600 I bought from a commercial station. Sent the DTC on to Axel as a parts unit.

absolon
05-11-2007, 10:33 AM
I'll see about getting the manual scanned and either email it or surface mail it depending on size. I'll let you know if I need your address.

Unda Maris
05-11-2007, 11:25 AM
Hey, now we have an TA-N902 inflation :thmbsp:

Iīll receive AK Fellow Yvesī TA-E900 as a loan for four weeks (:music: :music: :music: :music:).

I hope that heavy workload in combination with (re-)emerging health problems will allow for an extensive and joyful comparative test, so please wish me some luck and fun.

I could also provide some nudies, if s.o. is interested.

Stoffie
05-11-2007, 11:39 AM
Glad to see you are still around Mirko! :wave:

Please do post nudies after you've had the blast of your life playing with these toys :D

What are you gonna partner that ta-e900 with ? Do you think the sound will be that different from the Wega pre you are using ?

Unda Maris
05-11-2007, 12:58 PM
My homebuild speakers are still not ready, as well as the repair/upgrade of the SS-G5īs , so I have to try again with my small RCF speakers.

The pre amplifiers to compare with:

- Wega Lab Zero
- TA-E86B
- L-02A (the phono section of it)

I am really thrilled to hear how the headamp plays together with my MC pickup.

Power amplifiers (in order of rated power):

- Edisone CA-1 (20W pure Class A)
- Sony TA-N7B
- Yamaha B-1
- Technics SE-A3 (hope I get it repaired in the next weeks, that would be really great, because it is the same vintage like the TA-E900)

Sources:

- Sony SCD-777ES
- PS-8750 with DL-304 and Empire MM pickups

Thatīs more than enough stuff to play arround for weeks ...

monsteramp
05-11-2007, 01:19 PM
i had two ta-n902 so far check bias ,it s a bit tricky, sound in low frequence is killer

hi junkaudio what you have two of them:banana: i fgure you use both in monaural operation 400w per channel with this ones that was a incredible sound?:thmbsp:

you told about the bias it was (a bit tricky) do you remember what value you have ajusted in , for mine around 69mv between the two test points,could you tell me more about thanks.
best regards.

Yamaha B-2
05-11-2007, 02:54 PM
I'll see about getting the manual scanned and either email it or surface mail it depending on size. I'll let you know if I need your address.Thanks, Dick. Hold off for a bit, as someone PM'd earlier stating that they would be sending me a copy. I'll give you shout if that falls through.

junkaudio
05-11-2007, 03:02 PM
hi junkaudio what you have two of them:banana: i fgure you use both in monaural operation 400w per channel with this ones that was a incredible sound?:thmbsp:

you told about the bias it was (a bit tricky) do you remember what value you have ajusted in , for mine around 69mv between the two test points,could you tell me more about thanks.
best regards.

yes 69 mv is right mine drift allot and the pot has do be changed ,also the speaker relay was replaced on mine .i sold both one year ago but never had amps with such dark base the mid treble was not so my taste .but i still miss the sonys ,exellent buildquality ,read the vintageknob sony took 2 years to devellop that amp

i used them to power the infinity kappa 9 for low pass ,mcintosh for hp

the-real-mandak
05-11-2007, 03:27 PM
The Maxell Pro are the best DAT tapes: lowest error rate even over large rec/play cycles and best mechanical reliability. The ony ones I use since about 1997/98.

Yes we are quite happy with them, we are still using around a 1000 tapes a year so price is also important to us. We used FUJIFILM fore some time also but now they only make DTRS master tapes for audio use, so to get the whole line we switched to Maxell. DAT is actually getting hard to find, not that many of the big brands make them (I still see Sony tapes now and then, if the price is ok grab them).
I found this page witch has both:
http://www.tapeandmedia.com/dat.asp

Whitehall
05-11-2007, 04:12 PM
Darn you Glenn!

You sure know how to make me envious. Everytime I get a hankering to buy some Sony gear or am tempted to pick it up off eBay - there you are with a bright clean example.

BTW, I was watching that TA-2000F and might have pulled the trigger this weekend.

Yamaha B-2
05-11-2007, 06:16 PM
Joe - Check here. http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=111468

Will save you a few bucks in both purchase and shipping. Looks as good as the one I picked up. But, as a vinyl guy, I like those FETs (even though I haven't checked their location in the circuit;-).

Stoffie
05-27-2007, 05:50 AM
Got a Sony TA-F70 a few days ago for a friend. Have been testing it with a Sony DVP-S725D and some KEF IQ1's, and I must say that I am very pleased by the sound. Very deep and wide soundstage, good attack and dynamics when needed, nice imaging pretty tight bass with reasonably good extension given the small speakers, smooth midrange and silky highs. Technically inside it looks fine, no leaking caps, no buzz or cracks anywhere on any inputs. Might have to do some work on it sometime though, just as a precaution.

Overall it is not a match for my VFET setup obviously (always sounds like lifting a veil off music when I play music) but I could be perfectly happy with a setup like this, absolutely satisfying. It plays music the way I like it to be played.

Definitely not as good or cool looking as a ta-e86b/ta-n86b combo, with whom it shares many characteristics technically, but I dig the led meters, tacky as they might be. It's just cool :smoke:

axel
05-27-2007, 09:35 AM
you're lining up the goodies Kristof !!