View Full Version : Audio company names, many probably pronounce wrong.

89grand
09-20-2013, 03:07 AM
I'll start. Focal.

It's not pronounced like vocal, but FoeCal.

And then there's NAD. It's N A D , not Nad.

peterfranks
09-20-2013, 03:32 AM
silly abbreviations for well known brands:

Sansui - Sanny
Kenwood - Kenny
Yamaha - Yammy

The nauseating list goes on ....

mispronounced as far as I'm concerned.

GP49
09-20-2013, 03:49 AM
In the USA Garrard is often mispronounced "Guh-RARD" when in reality it is "GAR-rard."

Way back when Garrard was the biggest seller of consumer hi-fi turntables (more than 50% of the market in the early-to-mid 1960s) I heard a filmstrip machine (remember those?) at the Garrard exhibit (remember those?) at a hi-fi show (remember those?) and the recorded voice clearly pronounced it "GAR-rard." But even the sales representatives found it hard not to say, "Gur-RARD."

Now that Garrard sells handmade turntables priced in the five figures, is it any easier to pronounce it correctly?

BadassBob
09-20-2013, 07:15 AM
And then there's NAD. It's N A D , not Nad.

Im probably the most guilty offender of that one :D. I do know its N-A-D, but dammit, when I talk about my Nad playing music I get a strange look from some people.

pete_mac
09-20-2013, 07:37 AM
Technics. In the US, some people seem to pronounce it 'Techniques' and I've seen this exact spelling used in for sale ads and even the odd review here and there.

It's Tek-nicks, not Tek-neeks. :)

dr*audio
09-20-2013, 07:57 AM
HSU Research. I have no idea how to pronounce it so I spell out H.S.U. Any Chinese speaking people out there who can enlighten me?

Hyperion
09-20-2013, 08:31 AM
HSU - a soft shortened H, and a lot of emphasis on the SU - I think....

goodolpg
09-20-2013, 08:43 AM
Bless you!

Wigwam Jones
09-20-2013, 08:43 AM
In the USA Garrard is often mispronounced "Guh-RARD" when in reality it is "GAR-rard."

Way back when Garrard was the biggest seller of consumer hi-fi turntables (more than 50% of the market in the early-to-mid 1960s) I heard a filmstrip machine (remember those?) at the Garrard exhibit (remember those?) at a hi-fi show (remember those?) and the recorded voice clearly pronounced it "GAR-rard." But even the sales representatives found it hard not to say, "Gur-RARD."

Now that Garrard sells handmade turntables priced in the five figures, is it any easier to pronounce it correctly?

I grew up apparently mispronouncing the name myself. I always pronounced it with a 'J' instead of a hard 'G', so 'Jur-rard'. I will correct myself if the correct pronunciation is with a hard 'g'. Thanks!

Wigwam Jones
09-20-2013, 08:49 AM
Technics. In the US, some people seem to pronounce it 'Techniques' and I've seen this exact spelling used in for sale ads and even the odd review here and there.

It's Tek-nicks, not Tek-neeks. :)

Actually, the Japanese (and it is a Japanese company) pronounce it "techniques" as Americans do. Now, not to put to fine a point on it, the word itself is actually English, so many Japanese have trouble pronouncing it as well, and it is often said as many English words are, with a 'u' sound in between syllables. Baseball and hamburger are classic examples, being pronounced 'base-u-ball-u' and 'ham-bah-gah-u'.

Anyway, here's a Japanese commercial for Techniques cassette tapes. Pronounced 'tek-u-neeks-u'. Very much what I would have expected, having lived there for a year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz-hxFd6pc4

BigElCat
09-20-2013, 09:24 AM
I wonder if they refer to us as 'Red Neeks' ? :D

I still have trouble with Sansui being two syllables; Sawnz Whee.

Hyperion
09-20-2013, 09:36 AM
bless you!

lol - :)

Get the occasional 'Sony' (so-nee) - pronounced 'Sunny'

BadassBob
09-20-2013, 10:23 AM
I still have trouble with Sansui being two syllables; Sawnz Whee.

Same here. Ill still continue to say "SAN-soo-ey" though :D.

Wigwam Jones
09-20-2013, 10:25 AM
Same here. Ill still continue to say "SAN-soo-ey" though :D.

I thought that was how it was pronounced.

http://youtu.be/HANkQwz_P5k

http://youtu.be/bxSyBBSGeLA

Pandovski
09-20-2013, 10:25 AM
Harmon Kardon :nono:

At least no one says Karman Hardon.

kermit z
09-20-2013, 10:27 AM
Isn't TEAC pronounced Tee-ack?

Pronounced that wrong for decades. Oh, and yeah I say Nad. well, and Jurard.

Wigwam Jones
09-20-2013, 10:33 AM
Isn't TEAC pronounced Tee-ack?

Pronounced that wrong for decades. Oh, and yeah I say Nad. well, and Jurard.

Yes, it is pronounced Tea-Ack.

http://youtu.be/e_YXuiauFHk

http://youtu.be/47POXtpiYmw

BadassBob
09-20-2013, 10:36 AM

"Karman Hardon"...there, I said it :banana:

Pandovski
09-20-2013, 10:37 AM
I think we can all agree Pioneer has the most beautiful name in consumer electronics worldwide.

mfrench
09-20-2013, 10:47 AM
~ Schoeps Microphones
~ Neumann Microphones
~ DPA Microphones

Anyone care to guess?

mfrench
09-20-2013, 10:50 AM

I'm always stumped at where people seem to come up with Jerrard. I hear it quite frequently.

rcspkramp
09-20-2013, 10:54 AM
"Karman Hardon"...there, I said it :banana:

We called it Harman Kardboard.

Hyperion
09-20-2013, 11:07 AM
I think we can all agree Pioneer has the most beautiful name in consumer electronics worldwide.

:scratch2: not when people abbreviate it to 'Pio'

Pandovski
09-20-2013, 11:11 AM
:scratch2: not when people abbreviate it to 'Pio'

The cutest abbreviation would be Sui. :)

new,zealand
09-20-2013, 11:15 AM
The cutest abbreviation would be Sui. :)

come up with a abbreviation for perreaux lol

Pandovski
09-20-2013, 11:20 AM
come up with a abbreviation for perreaux lol

Soft kitty,
Warm kitty,
Little ball of fur.
Happy kitty,
Sleepy kitty,
Purr, purr, purr.

http://www.hi-files.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/icon_razz.gif

steelglam
09-20-2013, 11:25 AM
On this topic, is KEF pronounced "K E F" or "KEF"? I've always said the former (like it's an acronym), but most folks I know say the latter (like it's one word).

BadassBob
09-20-2013, 11:44 AM
I'm always stumped at where people seem to come up with Jerrard. I hear it quite frequently.

I have always pronounced it that way. I think, on my end, it comes from not having first hand experience in audio stores with it. If no salesman is selling it, your only other choice is to pronounce it phonetically. Phonetically, it reads like the name "Gerard", so I think thats what many of us base our pronunciation of it.

Jon.
09-20-2013, 11:48 AM
Thorens (it's TORR-ens, not THOR-ens)

...same with Thiel (it's TEEL, not THEEL)

...and then there's Dual (it's du-AL, not DU-al)

...and Fried (it's FREED, not FRIED)

...and Sonus Faber (FAH-ber, not FAY-ber)

...and there's always Schiit...

BadassBob
09-20-2013, 12:04 PM
...and there's always Schiit...

Is it "skit" :scratch2: :smoke: :D

BuddhaBob
09-20-2013, 12:10 PM
In marketing if you have a name with ambiguity in pronunciation, you deserve whatever people call you. Unless you make it very clear with the help of a device like the AFLAC duck.

So Focal is focal to me, as in focal length. Who gives a schiit anyway?

slpcorner
09-20-2013, 12:16 PM
On this topic, is KEF pronounced "K E F" or "KEF"? I've always said the former (like it's an acronym), but most folks I know say the latter (like it's one word).

It's pronounced "Kef" not "K, E, F"

62caddy
09-20-2013, 12:20 PM
Thorens (it's TORR-ens, not THOR-ens)

...same with Thiel (it's TEEL, not THEEL)

Local NEPA natives would have no trouble with those: "Th" in these parts is all but invariably pronounced as "t" as in - one, two, tree.

The one that drives me nuts is "Techniques" for Technics. :thumbsdn: It's a Japansese brand with an English-derived word for the English-speaking (specifically, American) market- such as Pioneer and Canon.

Cactus Bob
09-20-2013, 12:24 PM
Many years ago my brother owned a Mitsubishi Montero. A guy I knew said "I like that Mitsubitchi and pronounced it like that. It was hilarious. My brother also collected Mitsubishi or Mitsubitchi stereo gear back then also.

slpcorner
09-20-2013, 12:28 PM
~ Schoeps Microphones
~ Neumann Microphones
~ DPA Microphones

Anyone care to guess?

Neumann = Noy Monn (like Toy Don)
I've also heard it NOYmun, NOYm'n

Schurkey
09-20-2013, 12:33 PM
Went to an audio boutique in Salt Lake City, about 1991 or '92. The salesman was proud to sell ahhCOOOrus (Acurus)

I've never actually heard another soul say that word out loud, but the advertising campaign was Accuracy from the US, so I'd always pronounced it ACC-ur-us.

Prior to that, I made a hateful and meager living doing auto repair. Everyone knows the proper pronunciation of the Japanese company associated with Chrysler is "Makes-you-Bitchy".

Mister Pig
09-20-2013, 12:37 PM
Here is one. ZYX cartridges is not pronounced Z Y X, as you would thnk. Mehran the distributor gave me the correct pronunciation when I bought mine. Zix. Go figure, not how I would have envisioned it. But its their product, so they get to name it.

Regards
Mister Pig

slpcorner
09-20-2013, 12:44 PM

I think this is the same as how the word "Garage" is pronounced differently between USA and England... among others.

Zebra, Jaguar, Aluminum (although that one has a different spelling - Aluminium)

Pandovski
09-20-2013, 12:47 PM
I think this is the same as how the word "Garage" is pronounced differently between USA and England... among others.

Zebra, Jaguar, Aluminum (although that one has a different spelling - Aluminium)

The Brits would say that Donald Fagen is holding a fag on The Nightfly album cover.

62caddy
09-20-2013, 12:50 PM
The Brits would say that Donald Fagen is holding a fag on...

...in the GAY-raj. :D

slpcorner
09-20-2013, 12:54 PM
The Brits would say that Donald Fagen is holding a fag on The Nightfly album cover.

but would they notice the bottle of glue next to the turntable?

TConnelly
09-20-2013, 12:58 PM
Audio equipment is easy. Scotch is hard.

Cheers.................Todd

Pandovski
09-20-2013, 01:01 PM
but would they notice the bottle of glue next to the turntable?

I thought that was just a really big nasal spray bottle for his sinuses. :scratch2:

Pandovski
09-20-2013, 01:02 PM

I vote Todd's avatar as AVATAR OF THE YEAR! :beerchug:

slpcorner
09-20-2013, 01:03 PM
I thought that was just a really big nasal spray bottle for his sinuses. :scratch2:

hmmm --- interesting... and fitting for a DJ - I'll see what I can do.

Edit - whoops... DJ's are something different now... I meant "On Air Personality"

slpcorner
09-20-2013, 01:07 PM
I vote Todd's avatar as AVATAR OF THE YEAR! :beerchug:

It's nice - but what is she putting in her mouth? (no seriously I can't tell what it is)

slpcorner
09-20-2013, 01:08 PM
Back on Topic...

How do you pronounce BOGEN ?

Pandovski
09-20-2013, 01:12 PM
Devo - Something for Everybody (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUqcgabS86A)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_mupIVJbjvuU/TB-9LihDvRI/AAAAAAAADws/mmcT7rHCBIE/s1600/Devo+-+Something+for+Everybody+(Official+Album+Cover).jp g

Daunia 70
09-20-2013, 01:26 PM
It's gotta be Koetsu for me,always pronounce it as Kotsui.
Never can spell it first time correctly either.

frommerstop
09-20-2013, 01:28 PM
I grew up apparently mispronouncing the name myself. I always pronounced it with a 'J' instead of a hard 'G', so 'Jur-rard'. I will correct myself if the correct pronunciation is with a hard 'g'. Thanks!

I use the same pronunciation. Every salesman I know, and even the distributor in this area, back in the late seventies, ALL pronounced it with a "J" sound.

I may be wrong, but I'm too old now to change, and I feel like I'm in good company. :D

frommerstop
09-20-2013, 01:41 PM
It's nice - but what is she putting in her mouth? (no seriously I can't tell what it is)

Devo hat... sort of an "inside joke" for Devo fans.

guiller
09-20-2013, 01:45 PM
Back on Topic...
How do you pronounce BOGEN ?

There are many Bogens! (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/bogen ). These people decided for this pronunciation:

http://www.pronouncehow.com/english/bogen_pronunciation

Pandovski
09-20-2013, 01:50 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_dome http://asterisk.apod.com/images/smilies/facepalm.gif

Wigwam Jones
09-20-2013, 01:50 PM
Is it "skit" :scratch2: :smoke: :D

It is pronounced "money."

asterion
09-20-2013, 01:54 PM
I just recently bought something with Denon emblazoned on it... but is it a

Day - Non

Denin - like Denim

Den-On

What say you?

Hyperion
09-20-2013, 02:20 PM
I just recently bought something with Denon emblazoned on it... but is it a

Day - Non

Denin - like Denim

Den-On

What say you?

Of course !

sonex
09-20-2013, 02:22 PM
seas say-ahs not sees.

vifa (vee-fah)

tang band not tang bang

aiwa (iowa)

But who am I to correct anyone. None of us are perfect.:yes:

WobblySam
09-20-2013, 02:46 PM

You got that right. I drank Glenfiddich for 20 years and an actual Scotsman informed me it was "dick" not "ditch".

Dalwhinnie was easier.

asterion
09-20-2013, 03:27 PM
Of course !

Thank you. :)

mfrench
09-20-2013, 04:17 PM
~ Schoeps Microphones
~ Neumann Microphones
~ DPA Microphones

Anyone care to guess?

Neumann = Noy Monn (like Toy Don)
I've also heard it NOYmun, NOYm'n

Yep!

* Schoeps = Shemps, or, mud.
DPA = The best.

* Sheps

Jon.
09-20-2013, 05:43 PM

A delicious example: Té Bheag (it's tchay-VEK, not "tea bag").

91r100gs
09-20-2013, 06:25 PM
How about Lineaum

dr*audio
09-20-2013, 07:57 PM
How about Lineaum

Pronounced Lin-AY-um AFAIK.

ofajen
09-20-2013, 09:42 PM
~ Schoeps Microphones
~ Neumann Microphones
~ DPA Microphones

Anyone care to guess?

The first two are German, so there is no need to guess.

Noy-mann, first syllable stressed, German "a" vowel sound like ah.

Schoeps is harder for native English speakers, because oe is a replacement for "o" with umlaut, which is not a sound in use in English. Formation is between German "i" vowel sound (wide, flat mouth opening to produce "ee" sound) and German "o" vowel sound (mouth very narrow to produce round "o" sound).

The Danish Pro Audio line used to be Bruel and Kjaer, which is from Denmark, and I'm not as clear on that, though I seem to recall the "j" not being sounded when I've heard the latter brand pronounced.

Cheers,

Otto

mfrench
09-20-2013, 10:22 PM
Thanks, Otto.
It was a setup for the longest poking fun at microphones, joking threads, in the recording arts.
Schoeps, Neumann, and DPA guys, go on about this forever.

Bruel & Kayer is the way I was taught to pronounce it many years ago, by the president of B&K, when the 4011's were purchased; yes, silent "J".

I've been a Bruel & Kjaer/DPA fan since the late 80's, when my recording partner and I were running what was the newly released B&K 4011 cardioid mic stereo pair.
I've since become quite well acquainted with the good folks at DPA North America, which branched off from the B&K master lineage, and took over the "prosumer" DPA line. This left B&K to focus on their professional measurement mics and equipment line.
I've also owned and used their 4022 compact cardioid stereo pair, and the 4028 compact sub-cardioid stereo pair (1/2 way between omni and cardioid, w/ better diffuse field response than the near-field cardioid: 4011 and 4022); as well as the 4060 miniature lavalier omnidirectional series, and its associated DPA MMA-6000 battery-operated preamp.
That all said, I've spent considerable time running all three manufacturers mics, and many others, and really like them all; but I am partial to the DPA line.

JimPA
09-20-2013, 10:49 PM
Fried, not fried as in fried chicken.

ofajen
09-20-2013, 11:00 PM
Thanks, Otto.
It was a setup for the longest poking fun at microphones, joking threads, in the recording arts.
Schoeps, Neumann, and DPA guys, go on about this forever.

The fun thing about German is that if you can spell it, you can say it and vice versa.

Anyway, they all make excellent mikes. Particularly when you are talking about high-quality omni capsules and solid state electronics, they sound more alike than different. Can't forget the Sennheiser line, either.

Cheers,

Otto

pete_mac
09-20-2013, 11:00 PM
Actually, the Japanese (and it is a Japanese company) pronounce it "techniques" as Americans do. Now, not to put to fine a point on it, the word itself is actually English, so many Japanese have trouble pronouncing it as well, and it is often said as many English words are, with a 'u' sound in between syllables. Baseball and hamburger are classic examples, being pronounced 'base-u-ball-u' and 'ham-bah-gah-u'.

Anyway, here's a Japanese commercial for Techniques cassette tapes. Pronounced 'tek-u-neeks-u'. Very much what I would have expected, having lived there for a year.

Hmmm... very interesting!!

I think I'll keep pronouncing it 'Tek-nicks' as that's the English pronunciation, but it's interesting to see the Japanese mispronunciation of the word which seems to have stuck!

daviddeep
09-20-2013, 11:25 PM
What about Audio-Technica? Should it be "TECK-nick-uh" or "tek-NEEK-uh?" I've never known which is correct.

Somewhere around here I think there is a multiple page thread debating the pronunciation of "Technics." I've always fallen into the "TECK-nicks" camp myself, but I'm somewhat persuaded by what Wigwam Jones said based on his experience of hearing native Japanese folks saying it the other way.

ofajen
09-20-2013, 11:38 PM
What about Audio-Technica? Should it be "TECK-nick-uh" or "tek-NEEK-uh?" I've never known which is correct.

I've always heard and used the former, with stress on the first syllable of each name.

Cheers,

Otto

mfrench
09-21-2013, 12:25 AM
The fun thing about German is that if you can spell it, you can say it and vice versa.

Anyway, they all make excellent mikes. Particularly when you are talking about high-quality omni capsules and solid state electronics, they sound more alike than different. Can't forget the Sennheiser line, either.

Cheers,

Otto

Ahh yesss,.... Sennheiser.
Meet my good friend, Güde, my Senn MKE2002 Binaural stereo head. I bought him new back around '85 or so. We've been many places together.
Standard Senn Binaural
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/MokesPics/Gude%20Head/IMG01_4.jpg

HRTF quasi-binaural rigging (developed for better speaker playback)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v729/MokePics2/Gude%20Head%20II/IMG002.jpg

Now, everybody,... try to pronounce Binaural (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/binaural).

HRTF - Head Reference Transfer Function, stereo sample - A safe, legal, d/l sample:
http://ia600404.us.archive.org/9/items/gd1989-12-09.fob.french.76273.sbeok.flac16/gd89-12-09d2t07_vbr.mp3
Sample: Grateful Dead, L.A. Forum, Dec. 12, 1989, from the floor, in front of mixing console, center, within a "quiet zone" about 30' diameter, made up of friends and fans.

Arkay
09-21-2013, 12:48 AM
Hello, nice to meet you, Guede (sorry, no u-umlaut key on my keyboard, and I don't remember the code to input it manually). I should introduce you to Gertrude or Elise or whatever her name is, my binaural head (made with an old mannikin head of a girl). She's rather old-fashioned, but nice.

HSU Research. I have no idea how to pronounce it so I spell out H.S.U. Any Chinese speaking people out there who can enlighten me?

It's like "su" or "syoo", sort of. An "s" sound, but a little softer than a typical English one. Almost, but not quite, like saying "H" and "S" at the same time. (Dang, I can say it, why can't I explain it better?)

HSU - a soft shortened H, and a lot of emphasis on the SU - I think....

That's pretty good!

Bless you!

:lmao:

~ Schoeps Microphones
~ Neumann Microphones
~ DPA Microphones

Anyone care to guess?

Those are easy for any German speaker, but Otto already explained them excellently. Usually I just call them "GOOD STUFF"! :D

It's gotta be Koetsu for me,always pronounce it as Kotsui.
Never can spell it first time correctly either.

That one should be easy: KO - ET - SU. It is actually three separate syllables, and spelled that way, too. But that is only in the original Japanese spoken form. If you look at the characters they use for the label, it is two Chinese characters. In Cantonese, they would be pronounced as "Gwong Yute". The Japanese re-purposed the second character into "etsu". They do that sometimes, using two or even three syllables for Chinese characters, although the Chinese ONLY have mono-syllabic characters.

As for "B&K", I'm lazy. I can pronounce it correctly in the original language (I would say it's a wee bit closer to "Kyaer" than "Kayer"), but I usually just say it as a slurred abbreviation: "B'n'K".

Arkay
09-21-2013, 12:51 AM
By the way, since we are talking about corrections, how about the title of this thread?

It should be "...pronounced wrongly"; NOT "pronounced wrong". This kind of abandonment of adverbs (or worse, occasionally using adverbs where adjectives should be) is increasingly common, and drives me nuts! Am I the only one left on the planet who speaks English as she should be spoked? (:D)

BigElCat
09-21-2013, 01:07 AM
^^^Speaketh thou smartly. :D

Here's where I obtained my information regarding Sansui being two syllables:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=529810 Post 39

It seemed true to me, so the TV ads would have to be an Americanized enunciation (?)

Shrededward
09-21-2013, 01:35 AM
^^^Speaketh thou smartly. :D

Here's where I obtained my information regarding Sansui being two syllables:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=529810 Post 39

It seemed true to me, so the TV ads would have to be an Americanized enunciation (?)

Maybe a better horse's mouth would be a real Japanese pronouncing it.

Around the 30 second mark he focuses on the name and you can hear it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3A8AFGHHWY

BigElCat
09-21-2013, 01:51 AM
Sawn Swee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_PZPpWTRTU

Sorry Ed...but the "horse'smouth"...I just had to do it. I'm being playful, not mean. :D

BigElCat
09-22-2013, 09:32 PM
I'm feeling guilty that my 'infantile regression humor' put a damper on this thread.:no:

I'd like to point out that my middle name is Edward. It's a fine name; one that can only be pronounced in the Germanic languages.

Shrededward
09-22-2013, 10:15 PM
I'm feeling guilty that my 'infantile regression humor' put a damper on this thread.:no:

I'd like to point out that my middle name is Edward. It's a fine name; one that can only be pronounced in the Germanic languages.

nyaa. I seem to be a thread killer no matter what forum I participate in. :sigh:

GP49
09-22-2013, 11:35 PM

You only THINK nobody does!!!

guiller
09-23-2013, 08:59 AM
This kind of abandonment of adverbs (or worse, occasionally using adverbs where adjectives should be) is increasingly common, and drives me nuts!

Unfortunately that tendency is permeating through the media to other languages as well, such as Spanish and Italian. Some people (in the media, for example) don't realize that grammar is the internal logic of a language. It took centuries to achieve high standards of perfection and sophistication, but now there is a serious risk of loosing all of that in a couple of decades.

ev13wt
09-23-2013, 09:08 AM

The intent of the name was actually "the techniques of Matsushita", as in the best that Matsushita could do.

Which is pronounced: Ma-tsuushhta http://www.forvo.com/word/matsushita_konosuke/ or http://www.forvo.com/word/matsushita/

Pandovski
09-23-2013, 09:10 AM
nyaa. I seem to be a thread killer no matter what forum I participate in. :sigh:

Eduardo! (http://youtu.be/8DlndQcH-Uo?t=7s)

ev13wt
09-23-2013, 09:17 AM
~ Schoeps Microphones
~ Neumann Microphones
~ DPA Microphones

Anyone care to guess?

OE is Ö. Short version like "Zwölf" in the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09goWsYJ4EY

Noimuan (second 30: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wboEP0DpmnY)

De Pe ahhh: Second 11 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ6IxkpsjDc (Aus dem hause dpa)

BigElCat
09-23-2013, 09:18 AM
Eduardo. See what I mean. They have to put the DOH at the end. How romantic.

Schurkey
09-23-2013, 12:41 PM
Unfortunately that tendency is permeating through the media to other languages as well, such as Spanish and Italian. Some people (in the media, for example) don't realize that grammar is the internal logic of a language. It took centuries to achieve high standards of perfection and sophistication, but now there is a serious risk of loosing all of that in a couple of decades.
Took millions of years to invent written language, and thousands to graduate from ideograms to written words.

We're already moving back to ideograms. I project this is largely because we can't trust certain segments of the population to be able to read, yet we still want them to "function" in society.

Glen B
09-23-2013, 01:52 PM
Jamo speakers, pronounced YAY-MO, not JAM-OH.

soundboy
09-23-2013, 06:29 PM
No wonder Matsushita changed its corporate name to Panasonic.

I've heard some folks called Sony....Song-ny.

slpcorner
09-23-2013, 07:34 PM
Jamo speakers, pronounced YAY-MO, not JAM-OH.

Actually learned that one from my wife... after she stole my Jamo's - and then
informed me I was pronouncing it wrong. Apparently she didn't think I was worthy to have them.:sigh:

pch300
09-24-2013, 12:27 AM

Depending on which dialect of Chinese, Hsu can be pronounced differently. Don't know the official Mandarin, but it's similar to 'shoe', but with different inflection. Ask a native speaker to get this right, or better yet, ask Dr. Hsu himself.

Poultrygeist
09-24-2013, 06:33 AM
Is the "ow" in Lowther pronounced like low or cow? I've heard it both ways.

river25
09-24-2013, 06:39 AM
Sansui - Sanny
Kenwood - Kenny
Yamaha - Yammy

Oh, didn't think of Kenny for Kenwood. Thanks for that. I'll be using that one.

Eduardo??? You're Eddie to me, sunshine ;)

hellhound94
09-24-2013, 06:45 AM
Two of mine:

1. Sumiko...is the accent on the first or second syllable?

2. Electrocompaniet...no idea how to pronounce this one.

Help anyone?

Pandovski
09-24-2013, 06:48 AM
Two of mine:

1. Sumiko...is the accent on the first or second syllable?

2. Electrocompaniet...no idea how to pronounce this one.

Help anyone?

Electro-company-at (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS9PNrb7tlI)

hellhound94
09-24-2013, 06:49 AM
Electro-company-at

Really? Holy crap, I'll never buy one.

Pandovski
09-24-2013, 06:58 AM
Really? Holy crap, I'll never buy one.

They make heluva good amps. :thmbsp:

Glen B
09-24-2013, 03:50 PM
AFAIK, the pronunciation of Electrocompaniet is ELECTRO-COMPA-NYET, soft on the last T. That's what I hear in the video linked to above.

Glen B
09-24-2013, 04:01 PM
Is the "ow" in Lowther pronounced like low or cow? I've heard it both ways.

AFAIK, its LOHW-DHER. The "ow" is pronounced like in cow, and the "ther" is pronouned the same as in father.

BigElCat
09-25-2013, 07:48 PM
Sumiko....sue me co

No emphasis on any syllable.

Am I right?

Lowther is 'Louder"?....far out! I bet they rock:rockon:

ev13wt
09-26-2013, 04:15 AM
AFAIK, the pronunciation of Electrocompaniet is ELECTRO-COMPA-NYET, soft on the last T. That's what I hear in the video linked to above.

I agree.

GrampaDave
10-02-2013, 07:27 PM
OT: Looks to me like Don has a bottle of Titebond in slpcorner's avatar. That would be TB II then, for cleaning his records. :)

Dave

mech986
10-02-2013, 09:29 PM
:lurk:

tom3
10-02-2013, 09:34 PM
Don't think I've ever heard the parent name of Panasonic actually pronounced. Starts with Mat..... I wonder if the name was ever used as a brand name?