View Full Version : Vsx-9700s

Kegger
12-21-2005, 06:12 PM
Not quite vintage status but what the heck.

Anyway this unit is around 100-125wpc and uses the 2SC3281/2SA1302 output combo.

It sounds half way decent but I wonder about the dcoffset and weather it's adjustable.

Right now it's about 63mv on both channels. It's a decent sounding unit for my work area.
Not to bad either that it's remote controlled and does have preamp outs if I wanna run another amp off it.

So anybody have any comments about a BPC pioneer VSX-9700S reciever?

bully
12-21-2005, 06:13 PM
A very nice receiver. 125 wpc. Very clean sounding.

Kegger
12-21-2005, 06:23 PM
It was given to me and will serve the purpose of work area unit but I wonder if
dc offset is the same with this newer unit as it would be with the older vintage
gear, it seems it would be with using pairs of pnp/npn outputs but I don't find
any pots anywhere on this unit but the driver board is upside down to where
you really can't see whats on it so I wonder.

I know 63mv isn't anything to truly worry about but it's higher then I'd like to see
so it just bugs me. Yu know?

Kegger
12-21-2005, 11:10 PM
Hey for a work bench system that sounds halfway decent that will play at low volume
most of the time with a remote to boot, I'm in. Not to bad I must say.

andy
12-21-2005, 11:58 PM
I have a 9700 and 9500. The main reason I keep them is because I remember liking their HUGE fluorescent displays when I saw them in the stores as a kid.

If you plan to use one of these, I strongly recommend performing a slight modification. There are several voltage regulators burred on the main board. They are on small heat sinks with no air circulation and get way too hot for their own good. They char the board, cook the nearby caps and gradually unsolder themselves. I moved 2 or 3 of the hottest onto the main output transistor heat sinks and ran wires to the main board. Now the regulators and main board run nice and cool and should be much more reliable.

Kegger
12-22-2005, 12:05 AM
That sounds like a plan Andy, thanks!

What's your feelings on the dc offset?
Don't know if it's adjustable?

madpioneer
12-22-2005, 10:35 AM
andy absolutely right these problems occur in the 9500 as well. Right now as we speak I have two 9500S amps in my home. One is mine the other I recently got for a friend. Repairs had to be made on the one for my buddy from problems stemmed from what andy described. I am in the process of getting a 9700 as a backup not sure it will pan out. I believe the 9700 is basically the 9500 rebadged/renumbered. The faceplate on the 9500 is actually anodized aluminum. I believe thats true for the 9700 as well. I don't run mine on its own unless my son plays his video games for 4 hours. Mine is linked to my SPEC rig for movie surround sound. I asked the tech why PIONEER would not have opted to have cooler running components. He said they run it this way to get a certain sound kinda like an engine thats needs to run at a certain temperature for maximum performance. The only problem with the 9500 is getting to those components in need of attention near the powersupply. Tough access there think the 9700 is probably the same. I know there was a 9900S version but I would have to say that the 9500/9700 were the last of thier kind. I just won two different type of EQ's and will utilize them on my current 9500. The great thing is the jumpers for all the speaker outputs on these. I need to give my center channel a little boost so I am tapping that jumper with one EQ and then the rears with the other EQ both with spectrum displays so it will have some visual benefits as well.:worthless

Kegger
12-22-2005, 10:47 AM
Now come on vintage even the venerable sx-1010 needs a little help with some hot boards.

Not saying this is some outstanding unit but for when it was made it's actually fairly decent.

andy
12-22-2005, 11:23 AM
Here are some pics of my 9700. The 9500 is being used as my computer sound system. The only difference I can see is that the Dolby boards are different. My 9700 is also muti voltage, but I don't think all 9700s were. There was a 7500 that was identical to the 9500, but lacked the center channel and only had Dolby Surround instead of Pro-Logic. The display is 9" wide!

I circled the 3 regulators I relocated in red. Note the bypass caps installed at the regulators. They are needed to prevent the regulators from oscillating. The last regulator was left on the main board, but I did add a second heatsink to help. Before it had a heat sink from another regulator intertwined with it! The other two regulators were hidden under the control board.

I went through hell with the 9700 thanks to some counterfeit output transistors.

My 9700 has the same offset as yours, so I guess it's normal. There's no adjustment for offest, or bias.

Kegger
12-22-2005, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the info Andy, much apreciated sir!

Kegger
12-22-2005, 06:24 PM
Vintage I hear yu and by far agree with yu, I was just saying that because the unit
needed some tlc didn't mean that it didn't warrant the attention and was a bad unit
just because it needed this as many pieces could use some attention, that's all!

And I do respect your's and many others oppinions on this type of stuff but I also
have my own educated opinions to, that I hope would be respected in return.

I enjoy vintage equipment very much and the build quality that most of it has to offer
but I also have a lot of respect for some newer equipment to that is either very good
to start with or can be with a little help. Yes this piece is average at best but some
newer stuff is very very nice.

Have a good one buddy!

bigphil
12-22-2005, 06:37 PM
I've got a VSX-9500S a few points to add

0.005% THD
+-69V rails for the main audio line (reccently recieved a full set schematics from pioneer - pm me if ur interested)

imo extremely clean and clear sound. Yes, it does run hot, and yes it will break itself down but definately worth some work and effort if you're at all interested in the unit. Mind you its far from vintage, but some day it will be :)

Kegger
12-22-2005, 06:58 PM
Thanks Vintage!

------------------------

Bigphil good to hear from yu.

These units are better then I had anticipated. I have the 9700 and at the moment I'm using it as
a preamp to my st-70 tube amp powering some kef speakers.

Fairly good sounding unit and now I have a remote in my work area, pretty handy.
Well I hope you get that baby workin right, and I believe you will!

bully
12-22-2005, 09:50 PM
I use an Elite VSX-99 in my home theater set. It is great with the TV and movies.
It actually has a very good tuner (and I like tuners and have several), and can really pump out the watts (100 watts x 5 @ 1KHz). 130 watts per channel in stereo. Has a pure audio switch that runs straight through.
I can't say it is to my liking playing music. It has an antiseptic sound, so much more than the clean sound of a Yamaha, for example (I am sure I have used the term antiseptic with regard to Yamaha, but in their case that was a positive statement).
The Elite VSX-99 is a hefty beast and (to me (heresy)) a beautiful piece.
Just not for music. I suppose, though, if it was all I had it would be fine.

bigphil
12-22-2005, 11:49 PM
It actually has a very good tuner (and I like tuners and have several)

Good point, I find mine has an excellent tuner as well...

kimbosoups
04-22-2010, 07:00 PM
I have the 9700s receiver, and found it t be very good sound unit, and with a VERY good FM tuner section. I had done many A/B test with the likes of Pioneer Sx737, Sa9900, SA7500, and Nad7150. In MHO, this Pioneer sound very good, even though some others may say that the newer hoe threater receivers sound thin, and hollow. Well, I gone thru these test, and could feel good to say that it would be about 10% below all those classic I had compared with. Another plus is the the unit is not over 30 years old. As we all know, anything over 30-35 years old will give you some problem. If it is machanical, sorry you are out of luck in parts. If the output get cooked, you may not find any output transistors. The older originals are all used up, and any NEW stocks are 90% counterfeits from China or somewhere. I got some 2sa1216, plus the 2sc2922, and they burned up after 5 min. So, I broke open the others ,and sure enough, they were counterfeit Sanken transistors with a VERY SMALL die on the inside, and they used white silicon glue, instead of the epoxy over the die material. As much as I like that warm sound from the 70 gears, if anything gets burned, they are almost impossible to do a GOOD repair on them. Yes, some of those counterfeits may work, but be sure not to turn the volume up pass 9:00.

Smartx21
02-25-2012, 01:27 PM
I've got a VSX-9500S a few points to add

0.005% THD
+-69V rails for the main audio line (reccently recieved a full set schematics from pioneer - pm me if ur interested)

imo extremely clean and clear sound. Yes, it does run hot, and yes it will break itself down but definately worth some work and effort if you're at all interested in the unit. Mind you its far from vintage, but some day it will be :)

Hi all!
Sorry for unburying this old thread.
I've been searching for months for VSX-9500S Service Manual.
If anyone could help me, I would appreciate it very much.
Thanks!
Regards,

Max. (from Brazil)