View Full Version : KLH model 24's

gwhowey
12-27-2005, 10:33 PM
I'm a bit of a newb to this speaker stuff - so please excuse any faux-pas, and correct me if I have made any errors.

I came across a pair of KLH model 24 speakers in my attic - I plugged them into an amp, and one speaker sounded good - and the other sounded terrible (muddy, indistinct - basically fuzzy and incoherent). I pulled them apart to try and diagnose the problem, basically switching components from the broken speaker to the good one until I came across a problem. From what I can tell (all other things being equal - crossover, woofer) the tweeter on the bad speaker is just not working/is very quiet.

Where do I go from here? Should I try and find a replacement tweeter that is the same as the broken one (source for part?) or buy new tweeters from some other source - or replace everything (tweeter, woofer, and crossover). The cabinets and grills are in near mint condition, and I am not really an audiophile, and I don't care about resale value - but I would like to have a working pair of speakers for reasonable cost.

Thanks for any help.
-Garth

jpdylon
12-27-2005, 10:51 PM
Welcome to AK Garth!

The model 24 is a great small speaker. They were not great at handlling power, so you may have a cooked tweeeter. You can pull it out of the cabinet and test it with a multimeter or ohm meter. Resistance of the tweeter should be somewhere around 4-8 ohms. If there is nothing you have an open.

As for replacements some pop up on ebay now and then. You should post an ad on the wanted section of AK (audiokarma.org/ads) to see if anybody has what you need. There are a few members here who repair speakers that may be able to help.

KLH made some great sppeakers. I would see if you can get an original replacement. Using somethiing else is really going to degrade tthe sound.

macaltec
12-27-2005, 11:05 PM
I am unfamiliar with the KLH speakers in general but if there is a level adjustment on the back next to the connection posts you may have a pot that needs cleaning. Others more informed than I should be along soon.

mac

Oh yeah, welcome to AK.

Nat
12-28-2005, 09:40 AM
With all those KLHs, the capacitor in the crossover is subject to failure -- its possible that the tweeter is fine and you need to replace the cap. Its cheaper and easier to find than a replacement tweeter.

fotno
12-28-2005, 11:13 AM
If you do end up re-capping the one speaker, I'd go ahead and do 'em both. Otherwise you'll likely have two different sounding speakers.

gwhowey
12-28-2005, 01:53 PM
I checked the suspected bad tweeter with my multimeter - the resistance was about 0.5 ohms - the good tweeter measures 4 ohms. So it's definitely the tweeter that is broken. Now I just need to find a replacement I guess.

Thanks,
Garth

KeninDC
01-12-2006, 11:43 AM
I think I have Garth's tweeter. I have a set of KLH 24s, Series II that I am willing to cannibalize for parts. Garth - let's work out the postage because I'm willing to let the tweeter go for free in the spirit of vintage speaker reconstruction.

kfa888
01-12-2006, 12:04 PM
I think I have Garth's tweeter. I have a set of KLH 24s, Series II that I am willing to cannibalize for parts. Garth - let's work out the postage because I'm willing to let the tweeter go for free in the spirit of vintage speaker reconstruction.

You have just refilled your bucket-o-Karma... Nice job :thmbsp:

outlawmws
01-12-2006, 01:19 PM

What a guy! :thmbsp: and welcome to AK! Great start! You sould fit right in here and I can't wait till it's your turn for some Karma! :yes:

:music:

MarkAnderson
01-12-2006, 01:23 PM
Welcome, KeninDC. I'd say you're off to a pretty good start here. :thmbsp: BTW, what's a Series II - didn't know there was such a thing, but then, there's a ton of sh!t I don't know. - Mark

Hmmm..........I wonder if Mr. Garth will be back :scratch2:

KeninDC
01-12-2006, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome folks. I just hooked up some KLH Model 5s (to a just-restored HK 430 twin powered SS receiver) this AM after a restoration job to one of the woofers that had come loose from the spider. If not for numerous AK discussions on speaker restoration, I would never have opened up the box. I had picked up both the 5s and the 24s (now, used for parts) for $10.00 for the lot at a yard sale this summer. If anyone can point me to a link regarding cap replacement for my "new" 1969 speakers, that'd be great.

KeninDC
01-12-2006, 01:50 PM
I emailed Garth. We'll see if he's still around. It is my understanding that the KLH Model 24, Series II speaker, as compared to the original KLH Model 24 speaker has an inferior crossover and, most annoyingly, a single RCA input on the back. If anyone runs across a series II and is looking to hook it up to anything other than the Model 24 system, they can take a thick gauge RCA cable, chop off the end that you are going to connect to the amp/receiver and separate the two exposed cables.

MarkAnderson
01-12-2006, 04:06 PM
What kind of info are you looking for regarding the KLH 5's? I've recapped a few pairs of speakers (including some KLH's), but not the 5's. You might send Tafsound a PM. He seems to be in-the-know on all things KLH. His uncle is Henry Kloss, you know :D . - Mark

KeninDC
01-12-2006, 04:48 PM
As for recapping speakers -- for starters, I'd like to know 1) where these "caps" are; 2) how to get them off; 3) what to replace them with and where to buy these replacements (Parts Express?); and 4) how to install these new caps. At this point, I need just a general understanding, then I'll go down into the basement for hours and hours with my new hobby (mildly annoying the wife) and then I'll have more questions. I'm talking the real basics here. All help and input is greatly appreciated.

archie2
01-12-2006, 05:01 PM
I have a pair of KLH 24 series II running in the garage. No problems so far. Interesting comments here. Nice gesture Kenin.

MarkAnderson
01-12-2006, 05:06 PM
You'll need to pull the woofers and remove the damping mat'l from the cabinet. The crossovers should be visible then. You'll need to de-solder the old caps, making note of their value and location. Parts Express and Madisound are good sources for replacement caps. I use polypropylene ones of like value. Check out http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/klh/klh.htm for more info. There's a pic and a schematic of the crossover. - Mark

KeninDC
01-13-2006, 12:00 PM
Mark - Thank you kindly. That is exactly what I need.