View Full Version : Magnavox - Stereo Master Should I Gut it For myself

Alucard
11-10-2013, 09:09 AM
I Have a Magnavox Stereomaster console and I Feel its in great condition Should I Just gut it for myself and throw the rest away.

I Kind of don't have the heart But I Also Don't have the space.
Will I Have regrets later

Wigwam Jones
11-10-2013, 09:15 AM
It is yours, so do with it as you please. If it gives you pain to gut it, consider selling or trading it to someone who might want the entire thing. If no one wants it, then you could at least have a clear conscience about it.

gadget73
11-10-2013, 09:23 AM
What he said, but I'm something of a preservationist who likes antique radios and big consoles. I do understand that sometimes they just are not practical to keep whole though, and I'd rather see some part of it live on than none of it. The other sad part is that quite frankly the console speaker systems are also usually pretty limiting. I have a nice pair of amps in a console, but the speakers in there suck. The amps would sound much better hooked to something else, but I like the cabinets intact so I'll put up with it.

jaymanaa
11-10-2013, 09:31 AM
Radios and suitcase record players get spared the hammer here. Consoles however are just so big, that nobody wants them, or has room for them. I look at it like this with consoles and organs. If left alone they would likely end up in a landfill. If you pull the good stuff, it gets to continue singing for generations. There are exceptions to the rule; B3 organs, or custom consoles with uber cool designs and gear. I say whack it and build something useful.:music:

knockbill
11-10-2013, 09:37 AM
What he said, but I'm something of a preservationist who likes antique radios and big consoles. I do understand that sometimes they just are not practical to keep whole though, and I'd rather see some part of it live on than none of it. The other sad part is that quite frankly the console speaker systems are also usually pretty limiting. I have a nice pair of amps in a console, but the speakers in there suck. The amps would sound much better hooked to something else, but I like the cabinets intact so I'll put up with it.

Couldn't you replace the console speakers, for better sound, if you want to keep the cabinets intact?

Regards,
John

jaymanaa
11-10-2013, 09:54 AM
Even if you change the speakers, the table is still mounted on the speaker cab. A lot of these consoles gave no regard at all when it came to cabinet volume size. That said, you could likely get some decent mid fi sound out of it by recapping the pre, the amp, and the crossovers. Might need a stylus too. Which amp is in it? There should be a large black number written on the chassis like 9302 or something? 6BQ5 or 6V6? Two channel I suppose? Monos? Amp 175 maybe?

Alucard
11-10-2013, 10:32 AM
mine has the push pull 6bq5's I do believe

icenine
11-10-2013, 10:44 AM
Gutting it will save it in the long run like Jay said. I have a 197 SEP and a 175 Push Pull .....with good speakers they sound way better than in a box.

If you want to save it save it. If you want to make a stand alone amp do it. Just be safe....make sure it is not a hot amp either....a hot amp does not have a power tranny and sends the 120v right to the tubes...so you can get shocked easier. Some of the old record players with tubes are like that.

Arkay
11-10-2013, 10:45 AM
Even if you change the speakers, the table is still mounted on the speaker cab.
Careful use of materials like wool felt pads, cork and hard foams can insulate tables that are in consoles with speakers. Damping the cabinets in the usual ways can also help. Sometimes you can even mount entire speakers (not just drivers) inside of consoles, hidden behind the grills. This approach opens up various possibilities for further isolation.

gadget73
11-10-2013, 10:48 AM
Couldn't you replace the console speakers, for better sound, if you want to keep the cabinets intact?

Regards,
John

Part of it is the drivers themselves, part is the cabinet. In my particular case, the speaker cabinet area is very different between the main and the aux cabinet, so nothing I can do will likely ever make them sound really the same. THere is a lot of room for improvement though and its on my long list of to-do items.

jaymanaa
11-10-2013, 10:49 AM
Careful use of materials like wool felt pads, cork and hard foams can insulate tables that are in consoles with speakers. Damping the cabinets in the usual ways can also help. Sometimes you can even mount entire speakers (not just drivers) inside of consoles, hidden behind the grills. This approach opens up various possibilities for further isolation.

Good point. :yes:

knockbill
11-10-2013, 11:37 AM
Part of it is the drivers themselves, part is the cabinet. In my particular case, the speaker cabinet area is very different between the main and the aux cabinet, so nothing I can do will likely ever make them sound really the same. THere is a lot of room for improvement though and its on my long list of to-do items.

I see... I did the exact opposite... removed the amp and made it stand alone,, but used the console, which is two separate speaker cabs, and drive them with the little 2W Philco amp,,, It sounds really good, with those console speakers, in a open back enclosure...

Never really considered using the old Collaro TT with my record collection!!!

Regards,
John

Wigwam Jones
11-10-2013, 11:40 AM
Never really considered using the old Collaro TT with my record collection!!!

Of all the record changers used in consoles over the years, the Magnavox (Collaro-made) is often considered one of the best. I do like mine. Biggest problem is no magnetic cartridge, but they apparently can be upgraded to one. Caveat: I haven't done the upgrade yet (actually I did, but didn't get a chance to hear it yet) and some say it's a bad idea. Others say it works fine. YMMV.

knockbill
11-10-2013, 12:06 PM
Of all the record changers used in consoles over the years, the Magnavox (Collaro-made) is often considered one of the best. I do like mine. Biggest problem is no magnetic cartridge, but they apparently can be upgraded to one. Caveat: I haven't done the upgrade yet (actually I did, but didn't get a chance to hear it yet) and some say it's a bad idea. Others say it works fine. YMMV.

I'm sure it was very good, in its day,,, but its gotta track a lot heavier than my Dual 606, or other light tracking TT's...

Just trying to preserve the records.... Can you set the Collaro to track light enough for a modern mag cartridge? I never considered trying it...

Now,, I'm sure 45's or 78's would be fine with it...

Regards,
John

Dandy
11-10-2013, 12:11 PM
I've been checking out the 1960 prices for various Magnavox Stereo Master models here: http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1314&dat=19600814&id=EjRWAAAAIBAJ&sjid=z-cDAAAAIBAJ&pg=3769,4321513 If this ad is right and yours is the $179.50 model, I think this gives you more freedom to repurpose the amp. Maybe you can use part of the wood for a chassis?

Wigwam Jones
11-10-2013, 12:45 PM
I'm sure it was very good, in its day,,, but its gotta track a lot heavier than my Dual 606, or other light tracking TT's...

Just trying to preserve the records.... Can you set the Collaro to track light enough for a modern mag cartridge? I never considered trying it...

Now,, I'm sure 45's or 78's would be fine with it...

Regards,
John

I'm told it tracked at 3 grams. Very light compared to other changers of its day. And not out of line even today, depending on the cartridge/arm/stylus combination. I am not an expert on such things, but I would not consider a Collaro in good nick to be a record-chewer as some are.

Alucard
11-10-2013, 02:36 PM
Thank you all I Just needed a clear conscience for what I Am about to do

jaymanaa
11-10-2013, 02:39 PM
Thank you all I Just needed a clear conscience for what I Am about to do

Rip it's stinkin guts out and build a real farking amp! How's that? :D

Kingfisher
11-10-2013, 11:06 PM
I'm told it tracked at 3 grams. Very light compared to other changers of its day. And not out of line even today, depending on the cartridge/arm/stylus combination. I am not an expert on such things, but I would not consider a Collaro in good nick to be a record-chewer as some are.

3 grams is almost DJ territory...most audiophile TT's have tone arms that weigh in around 1-1.5 grams. I wouldn't trust it with any of my vinyl. :no: My '59 Maggie came with a 1970's era VM TT with a much lighter tone arm. The Collaro was replaced by the previous owner.

Wigwam Jones
11-11-2013, 06:39 AM
Your call, but 3 grams tracking properly isn't going to chew up records, and v-m tables track heavier, not lighter. But whatever.

gadget73
11-11-2013, 07:07 AM
3 grams isn't a problem, especially with a conical. There are decent V-M tables that run lighter than the 50s and 60s cheapo models.

Pio1980
11-11-2013, 07:16 AM
3 gm is common for many respected vintage carts which with a stylus/tip in good cdx present no hazard.

Kingfisher
11-11-2013, 05:54 PM
There are decent V-M tables that run lighter than the 50s and 60s cheapo models.

Totally agree. The one example I referred to was from the '70's, later VM. I know those cheapos too. I have a small pile of them in my storage shed. I should probably contact Gary Stork have him take them off my hands. They all have problems and are only good for parts.

jaymanaa
11-11-2013, 06:30 PM
How much does a penny weigh? :scratch2:

bobabode
11-11-2013, 07:14 PM
Rip it's stinkin guts out and build a real farking amp! How's that? :D

:D +1.:smoke: Sounds like a 9300 series amp. Give it a bit more Uf after the first lytic, get some decent speakers and it's audio nirvana.:thmbsp:

gadget73
11-11-2013, 07:45 PM
How much does a penny weigh? :scratch2:

82- copper is 3 grams, 83+ zinc are 2.5. I use those as extra weights on my AR tracking force scale if I need to work on some heavy old record shredder.