View Full Version : Infinity RSa speakers

33lotusz
12-07-2013, 02:17 PM
Brand new member to these boards, and I cannot believe I have never joined here before!

So I have been into vinyl since college (about 10 years) and I have always just put most of my money into buying new records, so I have a pretty sweet collection at this point of ~300-400 both used and new.

A combination of not having the right space, and blowing money on records has always pstopped me from building a nice stereo setup. Over the years I have gotten a few vintage pieces together to make my current setup for cheap (~$250-$300):

Marantz 6100 turntable
- with pickering XV-15 cartridge (NOS 625E stylus replaced 2 years ago)
Sansui G5700 receiver
Infinity RSa speakers (refoamed from previous owner)

All of these pieces are in good working order and have done a decent enough job for me for several years as a poor college/grad student, but I am now able to finally upgrade to something better. I never really paid any attention to what components would/should work together since I just bought what I could find at local shops.

How do these Infinity speakers compare to a new pair in the ~$750 with a stretch to $1000 range? Is it worth upgrading these, or will I not see a significant improvement in sound quality unless I go above my budget?

I listen mainly to rock from all eras and I also have a good amount of classical/jazz records that I was given. I like music to sound clean and straight forward with not too much added color to it. I like hearing what the artist intended without the stereo adding what it thinks it should sound like. I see so many descriptors thrown around on forums, but it is hard for me to describe really....I just want something that when you hear it you know that it sounds great without having to over analyze it. I am also in an average sized room, and I do not have to blow the roof off volume-wise

Thanks for the help here with this, and again, I am not looking to just blow money on upgrades unless I will see a significant improvement in sound quality.....I would rather spend money on music, but I am more than willing to upgrade if I will notice a significant improvement.

A totally separate question....I have been looking around for the specs of these speakers, and I have found the basic schematic with some info, but I cannot find the efficiency rating for these anywhere. Does anyone have any idea what this might be? Thanks!

-Z

elnaldo
12-08-2013, 10:47 AM
How do these Infinity speakers compare to a new pair in the ~$750 with a stretch to $1000 range? Is it worth upgrading these, or will I not see a significant improvement in sound quality unless I go above my budget?

I'm sure the RSa were budget speakers at the time, the small brothers of the RS line, but an Emit tweeter is hard to beat. If you want an upgrade, I'll look for something used, some steps higher in the Rs or Quantum series, like a Quantum Jr. or larger. Check the RS and Quantum line brochures. An you'll spend less than a half of your budget...

Regarding the efficiency, they look like a newer version of the Infinity Qa, wich is rated 89dB @ 1W, 1m.

http://911manuals.com/preview/Infinity/QA-S-EN1-909-INF.png

goodolpg
12-08-2013, 12:33 PM
You asked about a "new pair in the ~$750 with a stretch to $1000 range?"
Did you mean brand spankin' new modern day speakers?
Or something a bit higher priced than the RSa's yet still vintage?
For that kind of money you can get some darn good used vintage speakers though it may take a bit searching.
I had a pair of RSa's that I bought new, used them for a year or two then bought one of their bigger brothers, the RSM's. The RSb was next up from the RSa, then the RSM, the 1.5 was the next step up from the RSM.
They were decent enough speakers, I just wanted something a little bigger/better and caught the RSM's new on sale for a price to good to pass up. Since I was happy with the RSa's, buying the RSM's was a no brainer.
I think elnaldo is pretty close on the RSa's efficiency rating.

Coastsider
12-08-2013, 12:52 PM
I had a pair of RSa's that I bought new, used them for a year or two then bought one of their bigger brothers, the RSM's. The RSb was next up from the RSa, then the RSM, the 1.5 was the next step up from the RSM.
They were decent enough speakers, I just wanted something a little bigger/better and caught the RSM's new on sale for a price to good to pass up. Since I was happy with the RSa's, buying the RSM's was a no brainer.
I think elnaldo is pretty close on the RSa's efficiency rating.

Any speaker higher in the Infinity RSx model line, which are all acoustic suspension types, even RSb's but certainly RSM's and definitely RS 1.5's with their Watkins woofers would require more power than is being provided by your Sansui G5700 receiver @75WPC to really shine. 100WPC at a minimum or preferably even higher would in my opinion be required to make any of the above mentioned speakers really open up and give you what they've got.

33lotusz
12-08-2013, 01:53 PM
thanks for the info all. And I am up for either a new or vintage upgrade if I decide to go that route. I have no hesitation buying used, and I am sure for the price I can get a much higher quality component for the money.

I figured that I could use a little more power behind the RSa, so I think it may be more beneficial to find a more powerful amp first to see what these can really do first before upgrading the speakers. If I upgraded the speakers now I would still need an amp in the near future anyway!

I honestly bought these in college for about $50 and did not really look into anything that was a good match as far as components....I was much more concerned with staying in a very limited budget.

On the back of the RSa there are 2 dials for "midrange" and "tweeter" adjustment....but there is no scale as to what is actually happening with these dials. Does anyone actually know what the increase/decrease in db is for these? I always just keep them both in about the middle, but I am just curious. This tweeter adjustment definitely gives a noticeable change, but honestly the midrange dial at any setting does not seem to alter the sound significantly. Being as there is no dedicated midrange in the RSa, I am not sure what that dial is supposed to be doing.

Thanks again

-Z

elnaldo
12-08-2013, 05:17 PM
If you look at the RSa schematic, you'll see that "mid-range" attenuation, actually changes the woofer roll-off, it changes the woofer low pass slope (it makes resistance to the signal going to that 12uF capacitor. If the signal has more resistance there, it will go to the woofer. If it has less resistance, will take the capacitor route). That could be the reason you don't hear a big change. A measurement would show the change, but I guess it will be some drop in the crossover region, around 3000 Hz.

http://elektrotanya.com/PREVIEWS/63463243/23432455/infinity/infinity_rsa_150w_speaker_system_1978_sm.pdf_1.png

My Infinity Qb (later model of the Qb series) come without the tweeter attenuation, even if older models came with that same attenuator you have, so my Emit tweeters are always at MAX. Try that. tweeter at max, and play with the mid. If it's too bright, attenuate the tweeter.

33lotusz
12-09-2013, 02:55 AM
that makes total sense as far as the "midrange" adjustment. tweeters seem to sound best at about 1-2:00 position....any more is too harsh.

100WPC at a minimum or preferably even higher would in my opinion be required to make any of the above mentioned speakers really open up and give you what they've got.

Since I am using these now in a relatively small room about 12x12 I really cannot throw too much at these before they really just get too loud (mainly since I have those neighbors upstairs). I am usually maxing out volume at about 1/3 on the dial and on the receiver power display this is usually maxing out at no more than 15WPC at this volume. Now I totally admit that I am not an expert at any of this.....but how I am seeing it, for my current listening needs the 75WPC from this receiver is giving more power than I would need with plenty to spare. If I am planning on staying in this kind of listening set-up would I really see any difference in sound quality going to a more powerful amp? If I am thinking about this wrong let me know, as I said I never really looked into hifi specs when I bought any of this equipment.

elnaldo
12-09-2013, 08:44 AM
It's not just a question of "loudness".I've found that with more powerful amps my speakers sounded better in most of the cases.

I'm running my Infinity Qb with 20 WPC, but since I usually fix gear, I have the chance to try my speakers with several amplifiers.

50 WPC from a SAE amplifier, almost the best sound I've heard from this... Then, 65WPC from a new Cambridge Audio A5 > a bit disappointing. Not much better than my 20WPC. The same with a Technics SU-V4X, 65 WPC, but nothing special.

65 WPC from a NEC AUA-8300, very very good.

And the very best, the sound I've never imagined from this speakers, I've heard details that I never had in 20 years, listening to my favorite records: PEAVEY CS 800 400WPC power amp.

So, it's a question of power-synergy-quality I don't know, but not every more powerful amp sounded better here, until I went to 400 WPC !!!

Of course I'm playing them at regular listening volume inside my apartment, not 400 WPC at full power, what will burn my speakers...

It's true, 100 WPC or more will get the best of the speakers, specially the larger Watkins woofers. You can upgrade the amp later if you want... I have my 20WPC since 1989, and I always want to "upgrade" it, and I never do it :)

On the other hand, if you upgrade the amp, and not the speakers, the speakers are limiting your sound. I prefer to have better speakers and then get the best from them