View Full Version : Late 50s/Early 60s Stereo Console Re-work?

tankdonovan
01-05-2006, 05:17 PM
Has anyone ever thought about getting one of those old consoles and reworking them with vintage 70 gear? You know what I`m talking about. The big all in one record player/radio and a few with a TV. I see them all the time at the GW. A few of them are real nice. TOTL in their time. Most are made of real wood. Some are real big heavy units. The record player part would be the easiest to do. A Dual TT would work real nice. Replacing the speakers would not be to hard. I think the tuner would be the hardest. On the real large ones you could even install a small cassette deck or RTR deck. Just an idea. Any thoughts on the subject? Or maybe someone has already did one?

Tank

qboneus
01-05-2006, 05:36 PM
I dunknow that there may be that much to improve on..If you get a GOOD one...... I am running a 1950's motorola tubed console fed through of all things..... an iriver digital jukebox.
sounds damn fine!!!
I've got plenty of good ss vintage at work too, but find myself listening to the old(freshly retubed) motorola console thru the days.
the woodwork on these great consoles is really a great perk too.
I am a fan.

Tal

thedelihaus
01-05-2006, 05:45 PM
An awesome idea for sure. I once owned a cabinet bought for the princely sum of $89 that was gorgeously built, brass handled and knobbed, and a quality wood. I had hoped to one day re-install the empty cavities with some nice gear. Sadly a roomate broke the unit.

Here's a great link to a site of this mega-neato guy who goes by the name of Mr. Jalopy. He bought a $15 Farnsworth radio cabinet and installed a Sansui tuner, a Panasonic turntable, a Griffin RadioShark, 8 port USB hub, an LCD panel, a Griffin iMic, Powermate and AirClick, a Logitech wireless keyboard transmitter, a Sony bookshelf speaker, and a Mac Mini. He calls it his giant iPod, and it can digitize his records whilst he plays 'em.

http://hooptyrides.blogspot.com/2005/08/megagiant-wood-ipod-eliminates-mugging.html

brainsmasher
01-05-2006, 07:54 PM
I have a console in the garage that may be converted into a big boy stereo cabinet. I use one now to hold up my gear but I will never canibalize my beloved pilot so I will gut an rca for these purposes. But this may be number 328 on my list of things I want to do.

michael
01-05-2006, 08:06 PM
I bought an old console at an estate auction once; thought I was going to use the speakers and some of the hardware. Turned out someone had already gutted the original RCA chassis and had put in a Scott 222 integrated amp and no-name tuner. Had one Jensen speaker and another Utah but not a bad deal for my $10 winning bid!

tankdonovan
01-05-2006, 08:51 PM
This was just an idea. I know some units would be to nice to change[canibalize]. I saw one today at GW and the idea came to me. I was only asking what others thought.

I have heard of people turning them into bars.

Tank

Justen
01-05-2006, 08:59 PM
I'm a big fan of repurposing consoles... many times they didn't have very good electronics, but the cabinetry was excellent. I've saved several just to hold my gear, used a few to hold more modern equipment for some friends who wanted real furniture instead of cheap, knock down "AV" furniture. Still looking for a nice 50's console to go in my living room to hold the tv on top, HT inside, and compliment the 1959 Altec cabinets...

steve gibson
01-05-2006, 09:38 PM
I have been thinking about doing something like this. I have 6 consoles from the 30's to 40's in storage. I have been refurbishing consoles for awhile now. I keep thinking I will convert one to "modern vintage" sound equipment but I can't bring myself to destroy one. I keep thinking it is my responsibilty to restore to original glory. maybe if I find one that is already gutted. But then again I have several radio chassis that could probably fit. What a dilema!

pmsummer
01-06-2006, 05:54 AM
An awesome idea for sure. I once owned a cabinet bought for the princely sum of $89 that was gorgeously built, brass handled and knobbed, and a quality wood. I had hoped to one day re-install the empty cavities with some nice gear. Sadly a roomate broke the unit.

Here's a great link to a site of this mega-neato guy who goes by the name of Mr. Jalopy. He bought a $15 Farnsworth radio cabinet and installed a Sansui tuner, a Panasonic turntable, a Griffin RadioShark, 8 port USB hub, an LCD panel, a Griffin iMic, Powermate and AirClick, a Logitech wireless keyboard transmitter, a Sony bookshelf speaker, and a Mac Mini. He calls it his giant iPod, and it can digitize his records whilst he plays 'em.

http://hooptyrides.blogspot.com/2005/08/megagiant-wood-ipod-eliminates-mugging.html

The above mentioned Giant iPod.