View Full Version : ALTEC LANSING MODEL 14's, any good?

sipuser
01-08-2006, 10:05 AM
I think I've seen these listed a couple times before. Anyone have any experience with the model 14's, any good?

Their only 2-ways, what would I be losing, mid's or highs will the woofer/horn cover the mid's?

Price seems to be super low for speakers this big. Anyone know what these should be going for?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ALTEC-LANSING-MODEL-14-VINTAGE-2-WAY-STUDIO-MONITORS_W0QQitemZ5850592790QQcategoryZ50597QQssPa geNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Richard C.
01-08-2006, 02:22 PM
Thomas,

These are very nice speakers! Why would I say this? I have a pair in my living room, and I don't think you would be "giving up" anything. These usually go for $500 to $800 or so on ebay. They are the "pretty version" of the 9842 studio monitor, which I have three of.

I really can't fit my Altec model 19's in my living room, so the model 14's do just great. They are very efficient and will put out 114 dB SPL at 4 ft! (max). The mid-range is a little bright for some people, but I have mine EQed flat, and then I use the loudness switch "ON".

You need to hear a set to get the idea. West coast sound...

Richard C.

2DualsNotEnough
01-08-2006, 02:49 PM
Orion Blue Book:
Altec Model 14 Speakers
1979-1984
Mfgs List Price:$1360 per pair
Retail used:$77
Wholesale:Mint-$45 Avg-$26

jcmjrt
01-08-2006, 03:12 PM
It's really amazing how far off orion blue book is on actual used costs. Good info for original price and years though.

sipuser
01-08-2006, 03:19 PM
Thanks guys,

$500-800, Ouch, I was hoping for a bargin since they were local. I've been on a spending spree the last 30 days and still have to have (like a hole in my head) one other item on ebay going this week so guess I'm sitting and watcing how high these go.

Guess there's no such thing as a bargin (<$300) Altec Lansing vintage speaker :D

These's have already blown past 2DualsNotEnough's Orion blue book listing :sigh:

These sure would fit nice in the LR hanging off my Pioneer SX-1080.

Richard C.
01-08-2006, 08:07 PM
What has the Orion blue book got to do with high quality vintage loudspeakers?

These model 14's should "part out" for about $700 or more! The 902 HF drivers will go for around $200 ea. on eBay, depending on the season. The crossovers will go for about $100 a pair, the two plastic CD horns will go for about $100, the 12" woofers will fetch about $100 ea, the grills will go for about $100. The empty cabinets will bring about $100 on a "local pickup only". (my list adds up to $1000 and I have seen it happen several times on eBay). No bargains here. Better check Craigs list or Good Will for a seller that doesn't have a clue!

Richard C.

2DualsNotEnough
01-08-2006, 08:48 PM
My copy of the Orion Blue Book is 1996,so its been a whole new world since ebay for vintage electronics.
Jimmy

jackson
01-08-2006, 08:49 PM
I have 14's, they are great speakers, been using them for a year or so now. I got them for $10.00 and refoamed the woofers. I'd love to find some 19's someday.

Richard C.
01-08-2006, 10:21 PM
There was a guy on either the Altec Lansing Hostboard or the Lansing Heritage forum that rescued a pair of model 14's off the curb - waiting for the trash truck, or someone to pick them up. He didn't have to do very much to restore them, maybe $100 or so, and now he has a very nice pair.

Jimmy,

I believe the list price of the model 14's, but the other prices look like a miss print to me. I wonder how big their sample was? I wish I could get a few more pair for under $200 or $300!

Richard C.

clairtonelab
01-09-2006, 05:48 AM
Can't believe these will be going under 300$. I own a pair of 9846-8A which I would never sell under 1000$. A vintage audio site (I forget which one) evaluated them at 1600$. Don't know how the 14s compare with the 9846, certainly nicer looking and have a more practical size. Very different components. I'd go for these, but I don't have the room. Also, shipping will be high to Canada.

The 846Bs are certainly doing better http://cgi.ebay.com/ALTEC-LANSING-846B-SPEAKERS-MONSTERS_W0QQitemZ5851033401

Tom Brennan
01-09-2006, 11:19 AM
"The 846Bs are certainly doing better "

Well they're better speakers.

Richard C.
01-09-2006, 05:30 PM
Yes, these 846B's have very similar components to the model 19, so the 846B's could be parted out for much more. I have (4) 416-8B's and I think they will bring as much as $300 ea on eBay! I know that is crazy, but that is what they go for, especially in the winter. I will probably build something like a tall 8 cu. ft. enclosure (like a Stonehenge III), but with my 416's and 811 horns. I would have a grill over the horn and woofer, only - with walnut showing on the lower half.

The major problem with the model 14 (as I see it), is that the 12" woofer was probably outsourced and not built by Altec. It's a good efficient light cone driver, with a cast basket, I like them, BUT it doesn't say Altec on the back. It was only used in a couple of models for maybe 5 years? Not that many sold OR even heard...

Tom - The 846B's will bring more in THIS auction because of the short skirt + legs! I don't see how it could influence the final price, though!

Clairtonelab - There are not going to go for under $300. I am not familiar at all with the sound of the 411's in your 9846's, but I bet they sound similar to other Altec speakers.

Jimmy - It would be nice to know "about" what something was worth, but I guess that people pick something that they like, and then check with eBay to get a ballpark going price. I guess it's easier to do all the research now that we all have the internet, and forums like this. That blue book would be difficult to make up, and keep up.

Richard C.

Dean P
01-09-2006, 07:20 PM
Well, I missed at $532.00 & I am local. But just wait till next time, careful with that axe Eugene.

sipuser
01-09-2006, 07:25 PM
It will be interesting to see if in the summer time a set of these goes for the same price? Seems everything on ebay is going for big bucks right now :sigh:

bear-hifi
01-09-2006, 07:26 PM
I have always wanted to hear those!!! Never even gotten to see a pair in person ... :no:

clairtonelab
01-09-2006, 08:30 PM
High enough! But I still don't want to sell my 9846 (by the way, I have no grills, anyone know where I can find or build them)

Richard C., I wish I could tell you if they sound like other Altecs, but they are the only vintage Altecs I've ever seen or heard. Certainly not a typical sound. Can be annoying with loud rock (like Nirvana). Whenever I compare them to my Tannoy DC-200, the Tannoys sound like you turned down treble and bass to zero. I'm exagerating, but they sound dead. I need to turn up the volume (effeciency) and soon I get confused as to what I prefer. Two worlds.

Richard C.
01-09-2006, 10:23 PM
Yes, these went for much more than I expected. This mad bidding frenzy at the last minute seems "normal" these days.

Clairtonelab: You do have studio monitors, so they have a fairly flat response up to about 13 kHz or maybe a little higher. I like a bright mid-range along with the highs and lows.

I haven't heard Nirvana at all, really. I don't know any of their music. I listen to loud rock, too, but more along the lines of Southern rock, Robin Trower, Eric Clapton, Santana, SRV, Blues, SRV, etc. I would guess that I am quite a bit older than you.

About building grills: if you could see how simple they are, you would build some. A simple 1 x 2 frame with a single brace thru the center (just above the woofer). Peavey uses the same black polyester grill cloth on their stage monitors - very transparent! Parts Express has the pop bead looking fasteners like Altec uses on some of their speakers.

Richard C.

clairtonelab
01-10-2006, 10:40 AM
Richard C., Nirvana was the biggest thing that came out of the 90s as far as rock music. Not really my generation either as I was in my early 30s when they came out.

Tannoy DC-200 are also studio monitors. I consider them more flat than the Altecs. The Altec 9846 have a very coloured sound. I would not use them as a reference speaker. Ironically, I did buy both the Altecs and the Tannoys for studio monitor use. At the time (early 90s), we decided the Tannoys were more modern (also, the Altecs were blown, had them reconed later). The studio is no longer my business, but I did manage to grab the speakers when we dismantled it (had no use for a mixing console).

Richard C.
01-10-2006, 08:26 PM
Clairtonelab,

Are sure that you got a properly done recone, with absolute original parts? I would think your Altec should be very flat. Have you got a reference CD (1/3 octave warble tones), a good EQ, and a SPL meter? You should be able to find the differences between your two sets of monitors. You might need a 30 band EQ to really see your response.

My Altec 14's have a light coned 12" woofer that has good output above 2 kHz, the little CD horns unload below 2 kHz, so I use a 2 kHz crossover. The horns are attenuated about 12 dB to match the woofer.

Richard C.

clairtonelab
01-12-2006, 06:45 PM
The recone was done by pros about 10 years ago (cost me nearly 350$) and I insisted on original parts (i.e. they proposed some new non-altec drivers, which I refused). Otherwise, I can't judge what they did other than admitting that they sounded the same as before they were blown. Perhaps the Tannoys are off (they reconed also). Anyhow, I don't have that sort ot test gear anymore, but a flat curve will not reveal everything about a speaker's sound.

Richard C.
01-12-2006, 08:17 PM
Clairtonelab,

but a flat curve will not reveal everything about a speaker's sound.

I know, if we could EQ all speakers to sound the same, there would only be a few speakers made, and it would be a dull world. I believe that speakers (and your room) have much more to do with the sound than anything else.

Richard C.

Surfacetension
03-23-2007, 06:47 AM
I have 2 pair, One pair I paid 400 , had to sand down one top ( someone glued a table to to it) the second pair I wound up buying a whole system from a guy, sold everything on Ebay kept the 14's for free, I LOVE these speakers In fact I am seriously looking to go to a tube set up ( If I can find a way to play LP,s and have enough hookups. They sound great full rich with great soundstage. They are out there for sure, good luck I will keep an eye out for a pair

doclamb
03-23-2007, 05:10 PM
There is a a nice set of Altec Model 15's in Oak on Craigs List San Francisco / Bay Area right now for $400. I have Model 19's and couldn't be happier. Some think the Model 15's sound better than the Model 14's but I haven't heard either. They look to be in nice condition though and the price is right.
Good luck, Rob