View Full Version : Audax speakers

atomicretroshop
01-08-2006, 12:24 PM
I recently purchased a pair of Audax CA-70 speakers at an estate sale. I have been looking for information on the speakers, but have found none! I am fairly sure that they are from the 60's. If anyone can help me with any info, I would be greatly thankful.

Kegger
01-09-2006, 02:38 AM
I don't know audax speakers as a manufacturer of the speaker it'self but they made
some truly great "drivers" that were used by many big name company's!

Charivari
01-09-2006, 12:09 PM
Welcome to AudioKarma, Atomicretroshop!

Unusual looking speakers you have there. I tried finding some more information on these, but was largely unsuccessful. I can say that the Audax CA-70s, "mfd by the Rek-O-Kut Corp," were sold as the "Sonoteer" in early 1962. High-Fidelity Magazine reviewed them in April 1962 and you can purchase a copy of that review here (http://www.roger-russell.com/magrevhf.htm).

Be sure to post back what you think of their sound and pics of the drivers if you decide to open them up.

- JP

Nat
01-09-2006, 01:22 PM
I'm not positive, but I believe that Audax was also called Polydax (though that may be a distinction having to do the french and american activities of the company). Lafayette had a speaker that looked quite like that -- does it have a bunch of little drivers, and an relatively open back?

Charivari
01-09-2006, 01:44 PM
Lafayette had a speaker that looked quite like that -- does it have a bunch of little drivers, and an relatively open back?
My brief search on this model and the picture above reveals that each should contain 4 small drivers, fwiw.

- JP

piece-it pete
01-09-2006, 02:05 PM
Howdy, atomic!

Don't know anything about them but love the look - very cool.

Let us know what you think of them, and congrats!

Pete

hifi_nut
01-09-2006, 02:28 PM
The Text bellow was taken from AUDAX´s site.
This came as shocking news to me. I had no idea they had ceased production of high-fi drivers over 1 1/2 years ago.
Another great name disappears.
Jorge

"Le groupe Harman (proprietaire d'AUDAX) a cesse la production de toute gamme HiFi depuis le mois de juin 2004, suite a une reorganisation du groupe (vers l'automobile neuf). Queques distributeurs ont pris des dispositions afin de pouvoir continuer la distribution de ces produits quelques temps, toutefois les produits sont proposes jusqu'a EPUISEMENT DES STOCKS, et il sera parfois necessaire de vous reorienter vers un produit de substitution."

Charivari
01-09-2006, 02:47 PM
For those who don't read French, but want to know what Jorge posted ...
The Harman group (owner of AUDAX) has ceased the production of any HiFi range since June 2004, following a reorganisation of the group (towards car audio). A few distributors have made provisions in order to be able to continue the distribution of these products for some time, however the products are offered until the EXHAUSTION OF STOCKS, and it will be sometimes necessary for you to switch to a substitute product.
Whew, my French is bad anymore, but I believe that's what was said.

- JP

hifi_nut
01-09-2006, 03:10 PM
Thanks JP.

I´m really getting lazy. I was waiting to see if anyone showed any interest in the french text; then I would try to summarize it.

You, OTOH, being the thourough guy that you are, you decided to translate it all. And what a good job you´ve done of it too. Your french must still be very good.

Jorge

atomicretroshop
01-09-2006, 07:24 PM
JP, I think you nailed it, thanks for the help! I believe I am going to like this site. Thanks again
Later,
John

orthophonic
01-09-2006, 08:06 PM
The Audax C-70 Sonoteer Dates from 1961 and was available
for a couple of years, mfd by Rek-O-Kut. It used an open baffle principle employing five drivers and produced a
figure 8 sound pattern. Original cost in 1961 was $79.95
each.

Charivari
01-09-2006, 08:10 PM
Thanks JP.

I´m really getting lazy. I was waiting to see if anyone showed any interest in the french text; then I would try to summarize it.

You, OTOH, being the thourough guy that you are, you decided to translate it all. And what a good job you´ve done of it too. Your french must still be very good.

Jorge
There's a big difference between being able to read something in another language, mull over it for a few minutes and come up with an approximate translation and being able to write it, speak it, or understand it in spoken word. Heck, I can read French at a grade school level, Spanish, Greek (Attic and Koinonia), Latin, and Old English (10th cent) to varying pathetic degrees, but I doubt I could even ask a very slow talking French speaker where the bathroom is. You, OTOH, are able to participate on an English speaking forum at a very high level. That is impressive.

John (atomicretroshop), you're very welcome. You'll find a great many very knowledgeable (not me) and equally friendly people around here, so I no doubt you'll enjoy your time here. So, welcome to the AK community.

- John Paul

HomerJSimpson
06-26-2006, 03:39 PM
I just found a set of these locally! I didn't get them ($100). But they sure are cool looking. They have 4 main drivers and a tweeter. They have an open baffle design. I'd like to hear them! They are very interesting! :scratch2:

Paul C
06-26-2006, 05:55 PM
I'm not positive, but I believe that Audax was also called Polydax (though that may be a distinction having to do the french and american activities of the company).

You are correct.