View Full Version : Schotz plugaround sound

brianmorgan
01-14-2006, 11:22 AM
I actually found thrown out a set of two speakers and transmitter in a Cardiff UK street - MGM Plugaround Sound - set.

There's hardly any reference to this on the internet - the Shotz technology is patented I think - it looks like encoded audio sent via the mains circuit.

The set works well - I'll certainly use it for sending audio into the garden at party BBQ time - better in many ways than putting speakers at the ends of cables - it isn't recommended for outdoor use - but with a RCD protect it should be fine.

Any hold any info on these?

It has a '8811' date of mfg on it (Nov 88?) and Recoton Corp as well as IMC PLC as UK agent - not at the address listed (8 Woods Mews - London) any more.

This is the latest in some amazing speaker/amp/tuner finds in the lanes here.

noelist
12-11-2006, 07:33 PM
my mate offered me a pair of speakers , one of which has a three pin mains plug on a lead, an on/off switch, a volume control and speaker wire conectors, but the other one only has conectors. judging by your post there is a transmitter missing.they are marked date of manufacture 88 11, model p100, serial No 02650. I also read on google that the technology used was to transmit via the mains wire, also that in 2003 a company by the name of GEMINI II(2) were to buy shotz tec or recoton corp but I'm not sure about that, it was a court notice in america for reciever hearings on google. can you verify that there is a seperate transmitter needed to work the speakers. I'm still looking for info, anyone got any hints.

brianmorgan
06-02-2008, 09:38 AM
Sorry for delay. Yes there's a transmitter sadly. If you can get into the heavier unit with the amps in you might be able to rig up an alternative stereo line input. The transmitter does not work well with modern computers around due to conflicts with other signal transmitters I suspect.

brianmorgan
06-09-2011, 01:08 PM
Just to mention in passing, I needed an extra pair of powered speakers for a second desktop in house. The MGM transmitter does not work well alongside a computer so I opened up the power amplifier speaker and connected stereo input lead straight to the volume control potentiometer. Works perfectly. So now I have a spare base unit if anyone needs it.