View Full Version : American Acoustic brand

kfa888
01-27-2006, 01:42 AM
What do you know about this brand. What was the quality?

Thanks

ARguy
01-27-2006, 07:49 AM
IMHO this is a low quality brand good for garage speakers or less. No collector value here. These are the type of speakers that have a high mark-up so the retailer can reduce them to get you to buy. The type of speakers you might find in a white van... :thumbsdn:

Toasted Almond
01-27-2006, 08:32 AM
+ 1 on that opinion.

DaveElton
01-27-2006, 08:55 AM
Actually Guys, they were , or at least seemed to be almost a "Chain-Brand" of World Radio Stores here in the midwest....I remember looking at quite alot of them, and thry tried to lure one in with "Lots of drivers" for the money. If you value sonic accuracy at all, you soon turned away from listening....Definitly a good garage, or "workout-room" speaker, or one if you want to try to recreate the "boomy-screachy" high school system you may have had in your youth..

kfa888
01-27-2006, 12:08 PM
Thanks.

GordonW
01-27-2006, 02:58 PM
Is it American ACOUSTIC, or American ACOUSTICS? If it's the latter, that's a brand name of Mitek/MTX. Not really "high-end" fidelity, but usually, well-built, durable speakers...

bookasan
01-27-2006, 06:33 PM
I had a pair of American Acoustics given to me by my father. I wouldn't call them white vans even though they were not all that great sounding. They had 2 6" or 8" woofers and a single tweeter, felt fairly well built, but seemed to lack a little in clarity. Bottom end and mid range wasn't too bad. I gave them to my son and he is running them with a Sansui 2000X I gave him. He loves them.

dgwojo
01-27-2006, 11:07 PM
Mine might be American Monitors but these have heavy and beautiful walnut cabinets, these particular models sound pretty good, Dave. :yes:

kfa888
01-28-2006, 02:02 AM
American ACOUSTIC

here is a small pic.

john_w
01-31-2006, 08:35 PM
I had a pair of American Acoustics that looked similar to that, only with a sharp looking blue panel all the drivers were mounted to. They looked very nice, like there was really something to them. Sounded like crap. I stuck them in the bedroom for a while, then replaced them with a pair of Polks.

daveshel
01-31-2006, 08:58 PM
I wonder if that is the same as AAL, which if I remember, was American Acoustic Labs. I sold hi-fi gear in the early 80s and we sold a ton of these things. They were OK, nothing special. They came from the same company as the MTX brand.

ARguy
01-31-2006, 10:59 PM
Mine might be American Monitors but these have heavy and beautiful walnut cabinets, these particular models sound pretty good, Dave. :yes:
Dave,
Yours look like what AAL used to sell back in the late 70's-early 80's. The give away is the white woofer with the accordian surround. A local retailer, American TV, used to sell AAL and then moved down to American Acoustic brand as their base line speakers to sell with systems they put together. Most of the electronics were ok but the weak link was the speakers. I haven't seen a used set of AALs in the area yet. :scratch2:

dgwojo
01-31-2006, 11:06 PM
Dave,
Yours look like what AAL used to sell back in the late 70's-early 80's. The give away is the white woofer with the accordian surround. A local retailer, American TV, used to sell AAL and then moved down to American Acoustic brand as their base line speakers to sell with systems they put together. Most of the electronics were ok but the weak link was the speakers. I haven't seen a used set of AALs in the area yet. :scratch2:
Great info, these came with a Marantz 2270 receiver and 6300 turntable, I listed them on ePay once and they bid up over $300, I had the reserve at $400 as an expiriment to determine their value. Mine have a local TV dealers sticker on the back of them, believe it or not, the retailer is still in business 30 years later. The crossover panel looks very similar to the gold foil RTR speakers had!! Thanks again for the info, Dave. :yes:

Sansui Louie
01-31-2006, 11:15 PM
Dave,

"Crazy TV Lenny"!!!

I think the plant is in Illinois, and they changed the name of the speaks around over the years to mask the fact that it was crap. American's first awful house brand was Matrecs speakers. If you see these, run away at a high rate of speed. But you'll likely not see them as they all were fried by 1983.

I believe AAL was the next incarnation. These were an improvement, but it depended on *which* model of AAL you got. Some were awful. Some were merely poor to barely fair. Those were the 'high end' ones.

American Acoustic Labs was next, which is what AAL stood for. Then they dropped the "Labs" and it was just American Acoustics. Somewhere at about this time, they launched MTX as a Car Stereo and DJ division, and eventually the brand got blurred with American Acoustics.

All crap, for the most part. The best that they had to offer would be in the lower third of average mid-fi speakers. Believe me, I've seen a ton of this dreck come thru the St. Vinnies in Madison over the years.

Back in 1981 when I was a freshman at the UW, "Crazy TV Lenny" was sending every college-bound kid's parents home with an R-series Sansui receiver, a pair of Matrecs speakers and a 10 speed bike. All were shit, and all were blown by Xmas.

GordonW
02-01-2006, 10:05 AM
The plant was in Illinois; however, in the 1990s Mitek Corp. (parent of MTX and American Acoustics/AAL) moved to Tempe Arizona.

There apparently is a road in Tempe, that nothing but speaker and car amp factories on it (MTX, Orion, Precision Power, ADS, Directed Electronics, Rockford-Fosgate... the list goes on)...

Regards,
Gordon.

ARguy
02-01-2006, 10:32 AM
[QUOTE=Sansui Louie]"Crazy TV Lenny"!!!

I think the plant is in Illinois, and they changed the name of the speaks around over the years to mask the fact that it was crap. American's first awful house brand was Matrecs speakers. If you see these, run away at a high rate of speed. But you'll likely not see them as they all were fried by 1983.

You are so correct. You'll never believe this but I just swapped out my mother-in-law's Matrecs with a pair of RS Minimus 7s for her redecorated condo this Christmas! :thmbsp:

YamahaFreak
09-06-2006, 02:32 AM
[QUOTE=Sansui Louie]"Crazy TV Lenny"!!!

You are so correct. You'll never believe this but I just swapped out my mother-in-law's Matrecs with a pair of RS Minimus 7s for her redecorated condo this Christmas! :thmbsp:
Unbelievable! I tried searching that brand with three different engines and all three turned up bupkes:yikes:

denniso1
04-08-2011, 09:59 AM
American ACOUSTIC

here is a small pic.

Do you own those I saw some like that at a St Vincent thrift shop yesterday I'm going there in a minute to see if there still there 30 bucks for the pair . There gone damn wish I would had bought them now .

Committed
04-08-2011, 10:07 AM
Back in 1981 when I was a freshman at the UW, "Crazy TV Lenny" was sending every college-bound kid's parents home with an R-series Sansui receiver, a pair of Matrecs speakers and a 10 speed bike. All were shit, and all were blown by Xmas.

Hah, I still have an R-30 and a pair of American Acoustics in my garage from Crazy Tv Lenny. I used to love going to American TV back in the 80's, you could haggle on everything.

herbd2
04-08-2011, 10:56 AM
I disagree with some of the comments here. I bought some MTX 15" woofers back about 15 years ago, and they were sweet. Big square magnets, poly cones, good bass. Kind of like the Pioneer PP woofers that PE used to sell but better. Good performers for the money. I have had one pair of the smaller ones as well. They didn't sound too bad. I wouldn't "diss" them anyway...

I made a DIY pair of speakers using those 15" drivers along with Dynaudio 17W75 mids and some tweeters. They friggin rocked. Sold them at a garage sale. Stupid me, I didn't realize how much the dynaudios would go up in value. What a stupid thing to do.....it was before I dug more deeply into drivers and DIY.....Live and learn.

HackerJohn1
04-08-2011, 11:17 AM
I have a pair of AAL 3000's-Made by American Acoustics Labs, 629 W. Cermak Rd., Chicago, IL. Probably mid-late 1980's.
12" woofer, 4" mid, 2 3/4 tweeter. 8 ohm.
They sound OK. Paid $5 for 'em.

Frank_Black
05-10-2011, 10:13 PM
I remember AALs from my college days in Madison and before. You're right, American TV used to push them hard. A friend of mine went in looking for a component stereo and before we went in I told him "Watch, the first thing they'll try to sell you are AALs." Yeeeup. At the time I thought they sounded very mediocre.

Admittedly, I had a pair of Matrecs speakers -- bought as a system with a BSR turntable and little Sony 20w receiver -- and was fairly happy with them. They were a cut above the usual integrated systems at the time (probably 1975 or so when I bought them), but I suppose not too great compared to other stuff. I still have a soft spot for them though. Mine were 2-ways, but I don't remember much about them other than that. Probably an 8 or 10" woofer and cone tweeter. I recently rescued the BSR from my mom's basement. Ah, memories.

Tom Brennan
05-10-2011, 10:38 PM
Years ago I went to a parts sale they had at their Chicago plant and came out with some nice 12" and 15" poly woofers, phenolic midrange compression drivers, Motorola piezos and various crossover parts. Decent stuff.

hardrock94
05-10-2011, 11:00 PM
AAL is a knock-off of MTX...

inperson
08-08-2014, 02:28 PM
I have an old pair I bought when I was about 17 or 18. I can't remember what my dad paid. They might not be award winners but the cabinets are very solid and mine basically still look new. I played them a lot in my dorm room. They aren't top of the line but to say they are white van speakers is incorrect. They are just cheap but honestly built speakers.

slow_jazz
08-08-2014, 02:45 PM
Fretter Appliance used to sell American Monitor speakers.

My friend had a pair and they were decent.

frommerstop
08-08-2014, 05:07 PM
ABC Warehouse, and I think a couple of my local Hi Fi shops used to sell American Acoustics. I bought one, a small 2-way, for about hundred dollars as extension speakers and was pretty happy with them. I didn't expect too much, but it sounded pretty good for the money. I also remember a small coffee table subwoofer they used to make. It was reviewed in High Fidelity and was one of the first powered subs available at a reasonable price. I remember they put the heat sink for the amp in the vent for cooling - pretty clever!