View Full Version : info on bozak-401 rhapsody

bozak ron
02-26-2006, 02:21 PM
Thought I'd share some info regarding bozak 401's. I've had a pair of Bozak 401s since 1974 and recently purchased my second pair off Ebay. These are wonderful speakers, with a 12-inch woofer, 1 6-inch midrange, and a dual tweeter array. Speakers weigh 65 pounds each and the dimensions are 28 inches by 18 inches by 13.5 inches. Solidly built, perhaps the biggest Bozak that can be reasonably shipped via UPS, etc. The August 1974 issue of High Fidelity magazine had the following to say about the Bozak Rhapsody:

CBS labs measured a very favorable impedence curve on the B-401, one that showed a more constant value than most we have seen....Power input tests indicate that the B-401 is more efficient than previous Bozak systems; it took only 1.4 watts to produce the standard output level of 94 db at 1 meter on axis. The B-401 could handle steady-state power inputs of up to 100 watts without distorting significantly, and it accepted pulse power inputs of 257 watts average power (514 watts peak) without distorting, to produce an output level of 117.5 db. These figures show excellent power-handling capability, very robust design and construction, and excellent dynamic range... In terms of audible frequency, the B-401 covers the range from below 40 Hz to beyond audibility with ease and remarkable smoothness.

Listening to the B-401's reproducing music played through a high-quality sytem, it doesn't take long to discern that they are definitely superior reproducers....Whatever the music, and whatever the acoustic size of the ensemble, our stereo pair of B-401s obligingly presented a most convincing sonic image, with excellent internal spacing of musical and instrumental elements. Throughout, the sound was well balanced, clean, open, and very wide ranged. The low end was clear and ample, the middle and highs, extremely smooth with no trace of coloration. The sound perspective was big or small or in-between - not because the speaker was designed to have a certain tonal characteristic, but rather because it is an eminently honest reproducer that presents no more or less that the program material beng played. As such, it could serve as a professional monitor where studio space is limited, and of course as a speaker system of a fine home music system

I've listened to B-401s for over 30 years now, my first pair driven by a Sansui AU-9500 and now the second pair by a Sansui 9090db, and I still love listening to these speakers. The east coast sound is not for everyone, but its definitely for me. I've said it before; Rudy Bozak was a genius.

Sorry for the lack of pictures. I tried ataching some, but Audiokarma would only accept pictures 195.3 KB while mine were over 400 and over 500 KB. If someone can advise me how to get beyond this size limit, I'll gladly attach a few pictures.

M Jarve
02-26-2006, 02:29 PM
For a Bozak novice, how would the B-401's compare to the B-302A? From your description, they have a similar driver complement, but in a slightly smaller cabinet.

bozak ron
02-26-2006, 02:35 PM
Mike, if I recall properly, the B-302a were made in the 1960s. They were heavier (perhaps up to 100 pounds depending on the cabinet style) and might have used different model speakers. The B-401 used a B-199A woofer, a B-209B midrange, and a model 200-Y tweeter array. I'm not sure what component numbers the 302a's used. One thing I do know, the 302a's were also a well made speaker that sounded sweet. How do you like yours?

tentoze
02-26-2006, 02:38 PM
Sorry for the lack of pictures. I tried ataching some, but Audiokarma would only accept pictures 195.3 KB while mine were over 400 and over 500 KB. If someone can advise me how to get beyond this size limit, I'll gladly attach a few pictures.

I'd love to see some pics of those Bozaks. Any image-editing program will let you resize pics. If you don't have one of any kind already, google up irfanview, download and install it. It's freeware and simple to use.

M Jarve
02-26-2006, 02:49 PM
Mike, if I recall properly, the B-302a were made in the 1960s. They were heavier (perhaps up to 100 pounds depending on the cabinet style) and might have used different model speakers. The B-401 used a B-199A woofer, a B-209B midrange, and a model 200-Y tweeter array. I'm not sure what component numbers the 302a's used. One thing I do know, the 302a's were also a well made speaker that sounded sweet. How do you like yours?

I believe that is the same driver complement as the B-302A. [Edit] I think the B-302A has the tweeters mounted sort of coaxially on the woofer frame, though.

Unfortunately, I do not yet have them. I am still on the fence between the B-302A's and Koss CM-530. The Koss' are $150 cheaper, but the Bozaks are unexplored territory for me, and I feel adventurous. I hope to make a decision soon, though.

dingus
02-26-2006, 05:04 PM
they remind me of the Wharfedale W-series.

tentoze
02-26-2006, 06:02 PM
302A driver configuration is like this:

archie2
02-26-2006, 06:18 PM
One decent day in the stock market plus a promise to my wife never to buy another pair of speakers as long as I live and I would be sorely tempted to put these on top of my Wharfedale W70E's. I dream on. A guy accross the hall from me in college had a custom made Bozak single speaker array. Must have measured 3 feet wide by 2 feet deep by 3 feet high. I don't remember what he had in it but I will never forget the sound that came out of it.

M Jarve
02-26-2006, 06:24 PM
Those 401's are beautiful. There are a pair on a popular auction site right now for $249 BIN, local pickup only.

I think I will give the 302A's a shot. It's a 320 mile round trip just to listen to them, though, which is a bit sore.

archie2
02-26-2006, 06:29 PM
Seller will ship those Bozak 401's. $64.00 to my house using the shipping calculator x 2.

Tafsound
02-26-2006, 08:32 PM
Both series use the same drive components and crossover network (800 & 2500cps. @6db/octave)

Factory published power handling & frequency response are the same:
40-20,000 cps.
15 w min.- 60w max.

The low end response is going to be more substantial on the 302a series. It only makes sense that the same woofer in a 5 cu ft box vs. a 2 cu ft box is going to have better extension.

By the late 70's the concerto series were no longer being manufactured but the Rhapsody continued on. The competitive pressures forced Bozak's hand since there were several AS type bookshelf speakers with good response down to 40 cps. Demand for the Concerto series with their 5 cu ft volume had fallen off. Only the Symphony & Concert Grand series were continued in production as larger than bookshelf systems.

Brian
02-26-2006, 09:06 PM
They used the same components but with the tweeters mounted higher up the high end is a bit better re: the dispersion. On the 302a, a slight raising of the front legs helps. The 401 has somewhat less of an intergation of sound since the tweeters are removed from the front of the woofer. The bass extension is noticably better with the 302 and the cabinet is less prone to vibrations so the bass and lower mids have better articulation. The 401 is a nice speaker and an excellent jumping of point to move up to the 302a. A set of 401s for that price seems high to me. I think you can buy 302s in excellent condition for less than that to that range. I'd think a set of 401s would be closer to the $150 - 175 range but may be off since I do not monitor their sales since I already have a st of 302 and a set of Symphonys.

Tafsound
02-26-2006, 10:01 PM
They used the same components but with the tweeters mounted higher up the high end is a bit better re: the dispersion. On the 302a, a slight raising of the front legs helps. The 401 has somewhat less of an intergation of sound since the tweeters are removed from the front of the woofer. The bass extension is noticably better with the 302 and the cabinet is less prone to vibrations so the bass and lower mids have better articulation. The 401 is a nice speaker and an excellent jumping of point to move up to the 302a. A set of 401s for that price seems high to me. I think you can buy 302s in excellent condition for less than that to that range. I'd think a set of 401s would be closer to the $150 - 175 range but may be off since I do not monitor their sales since I already have a st of 302 and a set of Symphonys.

Brian, I noticed in a 1974 brochure that the Century B302a cabinet configuration was still using the B207 coaxial but the Moorish & Mediterranean cabinets were using the pair of B200Y's mounted separately and above the B199 woofer.

An alternative remedy if you don't want to elevate the front of a Concerto series cabinet is to remove the 2 bottom screws (loosen the top two) holding the tweeter array and install a couple of thick washers which will give you an upward tilt of 10-15 degrees. This way golf balls will not roll off the cabinet and hit your favorite cat hiding behind. More importantly, you will have better high end response especially if you are standing and conducting while listening !

M Jarve
02-26-2006, 11:14 PM
This way golf balls will not roll off the cabinet and hit your favorite cat hiding behind.

I just know there is a story behind this... :scratch2:

SuiDog
09-23-2006, 09:39 AM
The east coast sound is not for everyone, but its definitely for me. I gotta agree with you, Ron. Henry K. and John B. all the way :music:

thedelihaus
09-23-2006, 09:41 AM
I gotta agree with you, Ron. Henry K. and John B. all the way :music:

suiDog,

Hope you are doing well!

Looking forward to a mini review on your new "East Coasters" from Kelly!

jpchleapas
09-23-2006, 02:00 PM
Here is a link to some good info on some Bozak models. There is a pair of B-305 for sale local to me. He is asking $500 but they should fetch ~$350 for the pair. Just liike the higher end Wharfedale speakers they are not getting the respect and prices. Good for people who want a decent speaker like the Wharefdale W70D or the W90 series for a good price. I would gladly listen to a pair of either older models by Bozak or Wharedale before sujecting myself to the crappy LoFi consumer grade the BB and CC stores sell today. John

http://www.hifilit.com/hifilit/Bozak/Bozak.htm

http://www.hifilit.com

Brian
09-23-2006, 06:24 PM
The 305 is the rarest of the Bozaks. Basicly a Symphony with half the tweeter complement. Having both Bozaks (302a and Symphony) and Wharfedale (currently W70 and previously W70D) I can attest that it is a tough call between the 2. The W70s presentation has more air but is lighter in the bass in contrast to Bozak Symphony presentation. The W70 is closer to the 302s in size, presentation and driver compliment. But the differences are about the same only the distance is less between them. The 305 will be closer to the Symphony in presentation. That said, if I owned them for about the same amount of time it would be difficule to decide which should go if 1 set had to. Having owned the 302s for so long I find them to draw me into the music just a tad more than the Wharfedales.

As to the value of the 305; I think that geting a set for $350 any longer is going to be rare as Bozak have been increasing in pricing rather quickly and 305s are sought after by Bozak collectors. Collectors and owners have found turning them on their side and realigning the tweeters can make them as good as their bigger brothers.

SuiDog
09-24-2006, 08:00 AM
Great links, John. I'd love to audition and maybe have a few pair of the Bozaks. Beautiful speakers, with equally great East Coast laid-back sound, I'm sure.

suiDog,

Hope you are doing well!

Looking forward to a mini review on your new "East Coasters" from Kelly!I'm doing good enough, thedelihaus, thanks. How is the situation with your broken back?
Good to see you also, Brian.
Speaking of the speaks I got from Kelly I just picked up this pair of JansZen 1-30 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=002&item=120030989450&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1) electrostatic speaker array's (out of a pair of big Bozaks, no less) that fit in the big KLH Model One's cabinet, like the Model Five's. Listening to and comparing the great sounds will be awesome, as will having the complete ensemble. But we're already talking about that in this thread (http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=78731).

Great discussion of the Bozaks, thanks guys. :thmbsp:

Matt