View Full Version : JVC- were they quality, or bunk?

thedelihaus
03-26-2006, 10:45 PM
Did JVC make good speakers in the past? I'm not looking to buy them, but seen some neat looking 3-way JVC SK-600 II speakers today. Look robust with a big cast woofer and even the mid and tweeter seem to be cast in aluminum. Never really hear JVC come up in conversation here, so I was wondering did they produce good stuff? Or am I being thrown off and mislead by the look of the cast baskets of the drivers?

Don C
03-27-2006, 12:33 AM
I have not heard those, but I can tell just from the photo that they are junk. Look at the plastic trim around the woofer and the chromed dust caps on the mid and tweeter. Just like dozens of other crappy Japanese speakers we've all seen. Kabuki.

lab
03-27-2006, 03:53 AM
I had some SK-700 ll's and they seemed quite nice to me. Woofers had large magnets, at least 1 1/2 or 2 inch voice coils (it's been a while since I had them). I saw a review on the SK-1000 ll's that seemed quite positive. I think I know the JVC's Don C's thinking of- they were the SK-101, 202, 303 etc. which were indeed quite cheesey.

The 700's were a 3-way with a ten inch woofer, the 1000's had a 12" woofer and the same mid and tweeter.

If the SK-600 ll's are at all similar to the SK-700's and 1000's, I think you might be pleasantly surprised. I admit I'm not familiar with the SK-600 ll specifically.

Short capsule review of SK-1000 ll's:
"The JVC SK-1000 ll is one of the more carefully designed systems available from a full-line manufacturer. It's a very nicely crafted system, with excellent dynamic range and smooth response. You probably don't think of JVC as a speaker company- they are much better known for their electronics- but these speakers are worth an audition." -Stereo/Hi-Fi Equipment 1980

thedelihaus
03-27-2006, 07:35 AM
I have not heard those, but I can tell just from the photo that they are junk. Look at the plastic trim around the woofer and the chromed dust caps on the mid and tweeter. Just like dozens of other crappy Japanese speakers we've all seen. Kabuki.

Don C,

I think the center caps are really just the regular normal satin black domes you find on most speakers and they are reflecting the flash- check the photo closely. I don't think they are those crappy plastic "chrome" dust caps, but you may be right about the driver frames being junk- I cannot tell if they are nice metal cast frames like you find on JBLs, Pioneers, high-end Kenwoods, ect, or if they are indeed plastic frames with silver impregnated color made to look like cast frames. But even if they are well made, It doesn't guarantee they sound well.

For reference, I was told they listed new for $300.

LAB, thanks for the info. I think the 600s are indeed more related to the 700s and 1000s you speak of, being a 3-way design and all. I think it's either a 8" or 10" woofer. But you know, sometimes when they go from the original model to a "2" series, it's (usually) a degradation in the product.

Did your 700s have a cast basket set of drivers? Or were they indeed just plastic?

And fill me in more in on the sound of them if you would- I really enjoy reading about AK'ers personal opinions on speakers- I absolutely love to hear fellow AK experiences and reviews!

StarMover
03-27-2006, 08:03 AM
At some point in speaker history the idea that "Perception is Reality" became the central theme of speaker marketing, especially in the asian market, where the competition was intense. If a speaker looks impressive, then it must sound impressive, right? This is the time when manufacturers started adorning their cabinets with elaborate plastic trims and peppering them with additional drivers. More is better and bigger is better. It was more about getting your attention from a distance. The theory (at least from a mass marketing perspective) is that Speakers are like girlfriends, better to have a good-looking one that you can show off. As long as she doesn't open her mouth!

I'm afraid that in the process, there were a few nice-sounding, good quality speakers that got gauded up into the fray. :music: This may be an example. I had a very nice sounding set of JVC 4-ways.

Nakdoc
03-27-2006, 08:19 AM
As I recall, they also had 1" thick cabinets. I don't remember the sound. They were very well built, and rare. JVC was a high end brand when introduced in the US.

mhardy6647
03-27-2006, 08:29 AM
I've seen some very old (ca. 1960's) JVC's that looked pretty decent. The one in the photo has that "Imitation Precision" look of the early 1980's, though.

M Jarve
03-27-2006, 09:27 AM
JVC made some fine speakers, particularly their "ZeroX" line, which featured planar ribbon tweeters, cast baskets, and remarkable build quality.

They also made some outrageous kabuki designs that were none the less well built, if not intollerable to listen to.

Then they got into the late 70's and 1980's and I think you start to see that, just like Pioneer, Sansui, and others, they decided to pander more towards the J.C. Penny tax-return special, upgrade from Yorx crowd. They then reserved their esoteric designs for the home (Japanese) market, and the affluent abroad.

thedelihaus
03-27-2006, 10:27 AM
Starmover, very well said. Mhardy, you may be right about these. seems like they'd be a crapshoot. Mjarve, thanks again for bringing a bit of light to the darkness.

My guess is these speakers are from the early 80s. The "cast baskets' may very well be dressing up the speaker. A silk purse attempt from a sows ear. A bit of lipstick on a pig.

If anyone is interested in them, I'll send you the contact info. They are in Mass, supposedly still in the original boxes, supposedly never played before, neverset up, and just taken out of the boxes recently for the first time for the photos. Seller wants $75. I have no interest in them so if you do, they can be all yours for a nominal fee... :deal:

These may be a piece of audio doo-doo, or they may very well be really nice, a suprise HPM beater for all I (or we) know...

pmsummer
03-27-2006, 10:37 AM
I've always preferred No Theatre to Kabuki.

lab
03-28-2006, 04:53 AM
I can't remember the frame on the 700's, but I think it was a plastic face plate over a stamped metal woofer. But I think they actually sounded fairly decent. Very akin to some HPM 40's I had at the same time. I think the HPM's had a bit more boom in the bottom and sizzle in the highs, but we're talking about 20 or more years ago and I'm probably getting senile.

I do know they didn't have the flimsy feel of many full line brand speakers. I know at the same time I was trying to get a pair of HPM 100's and ended up with HPM 150's which were gigantic and took all of my attention. (Size matters when you're a young fella)

giovanni
03-28-2006, 02:27 PM
I have a pair of the exact speaker. Picked them up at a local GW a while back. Needed new surrounds but that was it. Heavy magnet. I have them hooked up to a bedroom system (SA7800 at 65 watts) and they sound decent.

thedelihaus
03-28-2006, 02:31 PM
Giovani,

Since you have these, could you tell us, is the frame around the drivers metal or plastic? If it's metal, are they decorative plates, or do they extend deep into the box as a part of the driver basket?

giovanni
03-28-2006, 03:27 PM
They are just a metal frame (of some type) that help hold down the speaker. It is not a part of the speaker itself. Just a flat decorative frame.

gonzothegreat
05-08-2007, 04:51 PM
Just found a pair of SK-1000 (not II). At first I wasn't going to grab them due to the decorative ring around the woofer (as mentioned earlier) and non-original woofers. When the price dropped to $5 for the pair I jumped (but mainly to grab the AR woofers that were installed). Heavy beasts - 1" thick cabs the size of HPM-100s!

The decorative ring isn't plastic. On the SK-1000 its milled aluminum! I don't know what woofers were originally in there but if the owner selected the big AR3/AR9 woofers as a replacement, I suspect they were probably cast basket monsters. Any info on the SK-1000 would be appreciated!

panhead
05-08-2007, 05:44 PM
They are just a metal frame (of some type) that help hold down the speaker. It is not a part of the speaker itself. Just a flat decorative frame.

The metal frames serve a real purpose,not just looks,they are for woofer vibration isolation & to reduce or elimenite secondary radiation of the cabinet surface.

Weather the speakers sound good or not i dont have a clue , from outwards appearance the cabinet design & effort put into controling cabinet vibrations would suggest that the design is solid.

Brad Muller
05-08-2007, 09:13 PM
I think they made some boomboxes that are better than their home stereo speakers.:yes: Brad

MarkAnderson
05-08-2007, 10:06 PM
I have experience with ONE pair of JVC speakers. Mine. They suck ass.

thedelihaus
05-09-2007, 12:07 AM
Hey fellas, this is a pretty old post- I've learned lots about the JVCs since then.

The pic posted in the beginning- I doubt they are good- they are still for sale on Boston Craigs. They appear every month or so, same price, $75.

However, JVC made a very nice set of speakers- the Zero series. Member and one time frequent poster M Jarve has some Zero 9s that are fabulous and pretty collectable and rare. They feature a ribbon tweeter, I think the later models might have had two woofers, a midrange, and if I recall correctly, possibly a dome tweeter (or not).

A baby brother version of them, the Zero 6, is for sale on one of the craigs (not boston, I think it was Canada or Washington State) that features a single woofer, the ribbon tweeter, and a mid, I believe.

That ribbon tweeter is super, I'm told.

The majority of JVCs, however, seem to be less than desireable.

But there's a few diamonds in there.

Mike Stehr
05-09-2007, 03:26 AM
There is a pair of JVC 5341's local. If they have that woofer, I may just snarf them if I can haggle and get a good price.

I'll go look at them later this week, the lady still has them...

Pic pinched from kfa888.

jvc_graz
05-09-2007, 03:38 AM
the zero xx line is the best speaker line from JVC/Victor. they are build between 1979 till 1982.

the models (europa/usa) are:
Zero 10, zero 9, zero 6, zero 5, zero 4, zero 3 and zero 2
the top models have a very good frequency response.

http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/262/zero10nj5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
(Zero 10, 1982)

regards, jvc_graz

wrcraw1965
02-13-2008, 01:05 AM
I owned new pairs of both the JVC SK-101s, and the Sk-303s during high school in the early 80s.

During their time, and what was available at reasonable prices, these speakers were very nice in those days. Depending on what environment they were played in they could sound quite fantastic!

They were smoother, and more accurate than the EPIs everybody thinks were so great, which I had tried some of those as well.

You got a lot of "bang for your buck" with them.

They may not have had huge power handling like a pair of JBL 4312s or something, but for what the typical recievers put out back then, they sounded pretty damned good!

Better than most of these small speakers today they try to put off as something good with little 6" woofers. Sorry, but I'll put up either pair of those old SKs against any of the new Polk bookshelves, etc.

The SK-303s had a good tweeter in them. Very precision, and high density, though paper coned. They had a tuned surround and a tuned metallic center cap not just for looks. They were very good drivers similar to some of the HPM pioneer cones, etc.

The Sk-101s used the 303s tweeter as its midrange. This driver is what really made these speakers. I'd say it was the most expensive component in the entire speaker, so they knew where to put their money.

They were not wood veneer in the US, or top of the line with huge power handling, but for a genral purpose, affordable speaker that played well with a 40-60 watt reciever, they did great!

They were attractive, straight forward, no plastic, all metal flanges and grills, except the mounting flange around the tweeters (never tell by looking, and was still good quality), and they have also lasted over the years.

They had fabric woofer surrounds that to this day have not desintegrated like all the overpriced, materially junk built Bose that are/were supposed to be so great!

The SKs had far superior tweeters to any cheap Bose tweeters, I can tell you that!

Buy a pair, and look closely at the tweeters. They are good tweeters.

The 303s had a deeper, richer sound, and the 101s had a tighter, crisper sound, but they were good speakers for the money.

Don't buy into these kids observations from afar who never owned a pair or were born yet, and think just because they had paper drivers, they must be the same as a pair of plastic and paper Fisher junkers, or some rack system air boxes.

Absolutely not, they were not rack system speakers.

They were moderate power handling, excellent sounding speakers is what they were. Read the ads where people are selling a pair and you will see how most comment on how they were surprised at how good they sound.

I've had a hell of a lot of speakers over the years including Bose 901s, JBL 4312s, and even Onkyo Monitor 2000s running on Onkyo M-506, 508 power amps while stationed in Japan in the military, and I'm telling you that those high priced, big power speakers may have played louder, and shook the foundation better, but I don't recall them ever sounding so much superior to my good old pair of 303s, or even the 101s that I had started out with in high school.

I only wish that we could still have more options today with the larger woofers like the classic SKs than just a pair of cheaper Cerwin Vegas, which DO NOT sound as good, lower build detail, more plastic trim rings, and foam surrounds!

Cerwins may have better tweeters in them today than what they used to, but they traditionally were not a balanced sounding speaker. Good, cast woofers (their main asset), and big bass if you have the wattage for them, but ear piercing, ringing, 17Khz, "public address system" tweets on the top end, and a muddy, resonating cabinet in some models.

The SKs were cosmetically more classy and appealing as well. Cerwins have always been crude and brutish.

It's just that the Cerwins are all that is still left in production of the classic 70s, large woofered speakers.

There is no substitute for a well made, and balanced large speaker.

Using subwoofers and satellites for most people can not match the sound quality of a pair of good ole 12" 3-ways!

Most subs are just resonance or too low to match up, or crossover well like a properly engineered pair of speakers that were designed to cover the whole spectrum. Subs lack detail as well. They lack the crisp bass a "woofer" not a "sub" woofer can produce, which is more in range of human hearing.

A satellite system is a compromise to save space and be more physically flexible. It also blends many acoustic variables that become part and parcel to the sound result that is inherent.

A self-contained, engineered truly full-range speaker is a different animal.

It would really be nice if manufactures would make the big three ways again considering the advances in tweeter technology available today that was not widespread or available those days, but that's like saying they'll bring back the muscle cars new and improved.

It's all about consumerism now. The smaller, and the cheaper, the better.

Less shipping cost, less material cost, less quantity costs, etc. Less wood products. More plastics and foams, and lighter construction.

Mass ratios have alot to do with sound reproduction. Mass ratios had alot to do with how well an LP cartridge sounded as well.

Even today, your best speakers will inevitably have a high mass ratio and be heavy.

The SKs might not have been HPM 100s, but $300-$400 a pair for speakers that weighed 38-40 something lbs. each, compare that to today's offerings.

$300-$400 usually gets you a good pair of bookshelf speakers, or small, 2-way towers. A 27 or 30 lb. speaker with equal technology usually wouldn't be in the same class as a 40 lb. speaker even in the same brand and series but higher model number, etc.

I guess you just have to be an old timer to appreciate the big old, quality, classic 3-ways.

Just don't buy a pair of rack system junkers, or some air boxes, and then rag on the classic large woofer, 3-ways. Aquire a good pair and give them a try.

If they aren't worn out, and deteriorated, they should give you a nice experience.

I am one who has just never come to grips with the "new standard" of 2-way towers.

I'd just like to buy back a mint pair of the ole 12" 3-way classics someday!

:)

wrcraw1965
02-13-2008, 01:14 AM
Highest quality Onkyo Monitor 2001, triple cross carbon fiber woofer, all metal alloy, cast, furniture grade cabinetry, etc. If you want a pair, you'll have to fly Japan, and write out a fat check!

ProAc_Fan
02-13-2008, 01:17 AM
Can't speak for JVC's vintage fare but they are dabbling in some decent speaker design nowadays. They make their small drivers cones out of birch wood and from what I've heard they are very nice bookshelf speakers in a MTM configuration. At $1,300 USD they are not your bargain speakers either.

Mike

wrcraw1965
02-13-2008, 01:17 AM
Standard Onkyo Monitor 2000s with vinyl veneer. I had 2 pair of these once in my life until a typoon destroyed them (water soaked them)1 :(

wrcraw1965
02-13-2008, 01:24 AM
Here they are again! These 2000s weighed 98 lbs each! Stick that in your pipe and smoke it! :)

wrcraw1965
02-13-2008, 01:28 AM
My second pair of speakers circa 1980.

JVC SK-303s

wrcraw1965
02-13-2008, 01:33 AM
My first pair of Hi-Fi speakers ever, circa 1979. Pioneer CL-70. They sounded pretty sweet, and would surprise you, even though one might think they are too simple for that.

10" 3-wayers. Yes, a rack system knockoff to Pioneer's HPM 10 inchers.

Sweet sounding, and compact 10 inchers. Lower power, but still a well ranged speaker.

wrcraw1965
02-13-2008, 01:36 AM
CL-70s again. Simple, but no gimicks, and no plastic!

All paper, fabric surrounds, metal mounting. Solid little speakers, no frills, but a sweet sound.

Better sound than a Bose 301.

wrcraw1965
02-13-2008, 01:52 AM
Mad Kitty!

MarantzDance
02-13-2008, 06:18 AM
I never heard anything about their speakers good or bad. I can say from expereince that I always considered their recievers top nothc and have nothing bad to say in that department. Always clean looking and at least "good" sounding.

Arkay
02-13-2008, 08:24 AM
JVC made a lot of poor speakers over the years, and a few very good ones. Most of the best ones were marketed more heavily in the domestic Japanese market, and usually they bear the "Victor" or "Victor Company of Japan" label, rather than "JVC". The best ones (all that I can think of or know of) are shown here: http://audio-heritage.jp/VICTOR/Speaker/index.html

I have experience of several of these, one in particular: before the Zero series, they came out with a speaker that shook up the Japanese market much the way Advents may have in the States: the SX-3 /SX-3 II /SX-3 III speakers (also shown at the above link). These are 2-way speakers that resemble the Advents in a number of respects, such as a woofer cone that is smaller than its basket (but with a larger surround, instead of masonite) and a dome tweeter with metal diffractive grill over it, but with some differences like flush-mounted speakers (no protruding edges on the front) and only metal grills over the drivers; the rest of the box is visible. The boxes are very solidly braced, and stuffed fairly tightly with dampening rock-wool stuff. They were the best-selling "audiophile" bookshelf speakers in Japan for several years, and sold many tens of thousands of pairs there, and elsewhere in Asia.

I'm not sure if they copied the Advents or the Advents copied them, or if they just coincidentally took acoustically similar approaches, but I always think of these things as being similar. That may just be me, though. I do know that today these things still sell here for a few hundred bucks, more than the Advents do.

Although there are better speakers out there today, they were revolutionary at their time for the purity of their sound, especially on strings, vocals, piano, jazz and classical. A little less great on the pounding rock, but this was in the pre-subwoofer days and before ribbons, when speakers were measured overwhelmingly by their performance on "highbrow" classical music, and pop stuff was an afterthought. Set up right and playing that type of music, these speakers "disappear" and leave wonderfully good, realistic music. NOT on all kinds of music, and like I say, they don't quite have the very low-low nor the very high-high frequencies we have since become accustomed to, but what they do, they do very well. Their high end is good enough to make the most realistic string, piano and vocal sounds I've ever heard in a bookshelf speaker that didn't cost thousands. I have a pair in my office system and they have survived a series of A/B comparisons and speaker "culls". I've actually owned three pairs, thinking to build a tall (horizontally-placed) stack of them, but because of limited space changed my mind and only kept this one pair. One day if space permits, I may still pursue that stack, though. Assuming the tweeter spacing wouldn't be a problem, I suspect the sound on orchestral works would be magnificent.

Hardly anyone here on AK seems to have these, but I've owned a couple and seen more around here in Hong Kong, where they still sell for a few hundred dollars a pair today, despite being considered "old". They are much appreciated, and for the music they do well, I think they are roughly on a par with my AR 2ax, KLH 23, etc... which isn't bad for such old and simple speakers.

Yes, JVC DID make a few decent speakers... and a lot of junk.

For the exact opposite, the WORST of JVC, look here at your own risk -- but don't say I didn't warn you! : http://salestores.com/jvchxd77.html

Tucker99
02-13-2008, 09:40 AM
Interesting thread...thanks to all who have contributed so far.

I have a pair of the SK-1000 ll's that I got with a stack of very nice (aesthetically) JVC gear (JA S55 Amp, SEA 50 Equalizer, JT V22 Tuner, QL-A5 TT plus a couple of JVC cassette decks) ...

While I don't think the quality in these pieces compares to my other big pieces I think we should be very surprised that they can keep up at all and the amp, eq and tuner are quite acceptable ....would make a decent second unit most anywhere.

As for the speakers the SK-1000 ll's similarly don't keep up with my better speakers. The woofers needed foam, which I did, but the A/B test quickly revealed the difference between them and the Marantz Imperial 8's and the Genesis II's that I had in the same room at the time. (As I recall the cr-3020 was driving them so they don't have much excuse!) I have not bothered to A/B them against any of my other speakers or with any other receiver. I don't think I ever plugged them into the JVC stack even, so maybe that can be an excuse!

All that said, the SK-1000 ll's are not 'white van' or other otherwise 'junk' speakers ... just, in my view, another speaker that was built 'OK', sounded 'OK' with an appearance that appealed to some buyers and did the job they were supposed to do.

Would I collect them or rush out if I saw a pair offered, no, but if someone needed a set of speakers I wouldn't be ashamed to give them away to them.

Just my $0.02.

StarMover
02-13-2008, 10:11 AM
I once had a set of 4 Japan Market JVC kabuki-like speakers that came with a quad system. They had 15" woofers. Those were some of best-sounding speakers I've ever come across.

spok
02-13-2008, 10:16 AM
i picked up a pair of SK-S44's at the GW on the cheap, they look good, sound pretty good tho seem to lack a little in the bass department. I don't have them hooked up to anything right now but i'm happy to have them for the price i paid.

Scorpion8
02-13-2008, 10:37 AM
Did JVC make good speakers in the past?

JVC made speakers in the same "me too" mold as every other electronics company that needed a full line-up - Technics, Pioneer, Sansui, etc. Some were good, some were bad, but none really approached the speaker-only companies of the same era like Genesis, Avid, AR, Infinity, Polk, JBL ..... Of course, if you were buying a JVC rack system, then the speakers came along with it, and rack systems of the early 80's were where the money was made, not thru selling individual components. But nobody went into an audio store looking for just speakers and came out with JVCs, unless your pockets were thin and your ears weren't tuned.

markallen
02-13-2008, 02:23 PM
I have a pair of JVC SK-400II speakers that have been in my family since somewhere in the early to mid 80s. My parents needed a mid-sized speaker, and had me do the selection.

I recall that that this model was recommended in Consumer's Reports at that time. They had done a comparison of small to mid-size speakers and this model came in 3rd in the field, IIRC. Compared to the winners of the CR "shootout", they were value priced so that's what I got! I'd sure like to see that article again.

We had to re-foam the edges a couple of years back, but they continue to provide good sound for my 17 year old son's vintage system. I still have the box they came in!

IsakAlexande
10-25-2008, 06:00 AM
The european JVC sx-911 super digifine are they the same as Victor sx-511 in Japan? Looks very similar.

IsakAlexande
10-25-2008, 06:46 AM
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q26/IsakAlexander/SX-911WD.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q26/IsakAlexander/JVC20HC3B8yttalere.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q26/IsakAlexander/SP_VICTOR-SX-511.jpg

IsakAlexande
10-25-2008, 06:52 AM
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q26/IsakAlexander/3ed03.jpg
Looks like quality speakers.

pmsummer
10-25-2008, 06:54 AM
JVC (Japanese Victor Company) and Victor (in Nippon) are the same company. Has to do with the confusing "Victor" trademark usages and limitations to same. Victor (Nippon) couldn't use that trademark here (NA) because RCA owned the Victor tm (from the old "Victor Talking Machine" days).

IsakAlexande
10-25-2008, 07:07 AM
Yes but are the two models the same?

pmsummer
10-25-2008, 07:39 AM
Don't know.

Rome
10-25-2008, 09:49 AM
Owned a pair of 80s SK-303s that were pretty darn good sounding to me.

Rome

IsakAlexande
10-25-2008, 09:51 AM
SX-911:
Super Digifine speaker system
— 12" cloth carbon woofer
— 4-1/2" fine cloth carbon midrange
— 1" amorphous diamond coated tweeter
— 150 watts power handling 300 max
— Weight: 62.8 lbs
— Width: 15" Height: 26 3/16" Depth: 13 7/8"

-Sealed enclosure
-91dB sensitivity
-6ohm
-40Hz-50 000Hz
X-over 500Hz and 4kHz
-Alnico magnets
-Ellipse front baffle

reggaenaut
10-25-2008, 11:59 AM
JVC made some damn good speakers. But most were reserve for the Japanese and European markets. Aker M. Jarve can attest to the quality of the Zero. It looks to me that JVC dump its average products in the US. Check the posts of Aker JVC Graz for some stellar JVC products that are rarely seen in the US.

VintInfinity
10-25-2008, 03:25 PM
I got some 3-way JVC cheapies for free... I actually like them hooked to a Pioneer SX-939.

IIRC, they have a 10" woofer which can thump in your chest pretty heartily which was impressive.

Not sure of the model at the moment because they aren't at my place.

karlo
10-25-2008, 05:10 PM
ALL major audio mfgs have engineers who design their

stuff ...for specific parameters + market price targets.

i'll bet nakamichi could've made a crap of a deck (if
someone held a gun to an some engineers' head? ), for
Sears to sell..... as some engineers from sanyo or sharp
could've made a ZXL-1000 /Dragon worthy machine, if
budget permits...

pioneer makes TAD , among the finest speakers produced....

they also make cardboard crap surround shiyt.

i'll bet jvc is capable of making the best or worst speakers ,as
they see fit.

IsakAlexande
10-26-2008, 11:43 AM
I guess 173,53$ for a pair of JVC sx-911 aint too bad. I just hope the bass response ain`t the same as on a Infinity rs pair from the same period.

IsakAlexande
10-26-2008, 12:29 PM
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q26/IsakAlexander/sx-5111.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q26/IsakAlexander/sx-511hifido.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q26/IsakAlexander/image6.jpg
Been looking all over for any info/pics.

VintInfinity
10-26-2008, 08:08 PM
The free pair I got are the JVC SK-S22... listening to them now, quite nice actually.

Borrowed a picture from craigslist.

VintInfinity
10-26-2008, 08:13 PM
I guess 173,53$ for a pair of JVC sx-911 aint too bad. I just hope the bass response ain`t the same as on a Infinity rs pair from the same period.

Those look like great speakers... are you hoping for more or less bass than the Infinity RS? Which RS?

IsakAlexande
10-27-2008, 12:29 AM
The ones I had were rs-6000, didn`t like em at all. I want a more responsive speaker. I`m hoping the jvc will be good at jazz/vocals for example.

Emission
10-27-2008, 02:05 AM
Those JVC mid and tweeter drivers have black domes, and the finish on the front looks respectable. JVC never struck me as the asian-gimmicky kind, and I've had their products before, no gimmicks. Worth a try perhaps.

VintInfinity
10-27-2008, 04:19 AM
The ones I had were rs-6000, didn`t like em at all. I want a more responsive speaker. I`m hoping the jvc will be good at jazz/vocals for example.

The larger original true Reference Series are better than the RS6000...

The JVC's should be nice, and maybe more to your liking... is that a 12" woofer on those?

What amp were you running with the RS6000? I have found the single 8" woofer on the RS4000 to be pretty decent. The dual 10's might do well with the right damping.

Reeder5001
11-21-2008, 11:52 PM
I have a set of the JVC sx-911's that I bought in the 80's. They are great sounding for jazz and classical. The lack a little bit for very low bass. At work (a JVC plant) in the demo room they have a set of the Zero L10's with
all of the component stuff from that era. Sounds really good.

budgetaudio6
11-22-2008, 01:30 AM
Mad Kitty!

poor kitty

nadude98
10-09-2009, 10:05 AM
I have a friend that was given a pair of JVC Zero 4's and they need surrounds for the woofers. I don't have them in front of me to give you the measurements but I have did a search before and emailed some of the place that sell surround kits and no one had a surround to fit them.

Does anyone know where the surrounds can be found or the speakers sent in......???

Again, I searched before and emailed every speaker repair shop I found via google and nobody had the correct size.

Battlehork
10-09-2009, 11:59 AM
For the exact opposite, the WORST of JVC, look here at your own risk -- but don't say I didn't warn you! : http://salestores.com/jvchxd77.html

Does it turn into a robot?

Hugo Bass
10-10-2009, 06:57 AM
Did JVC make good speakers in the past? I'm not looking to buy them, but seen some neat looking 3-way JVC SK-600 II speakers today. Look robust with a big cast woofer and even the mid and tweeter seem to be cast in aluminum. Never really hear JVC come up in conversation here, so I was wondering did they produce good stuff? Or am I being thrown off and mislead by the look of the cast baskets of the drivers?

I owned a pair of these in the early eighties.

They were used on the end of a Kenwood amplifier and a Pioneer PL300 turntable.

My first system.

I really enjoyed them. They had no glaring faults and not a bad bass for their size.

The build was pretty solid apart from the vinyl wrap finish.

For some "strange reason" music was so much more enjoyable back then on this little starter rig.

Less obsessing about the" sound" and more about the music played.:banana:

shmu
05-22-2010, 08:37 AM
Hy. did JVC made a model S55 speakers? I'm posting an image.

Parsec
03-20-2012, 10:04 PM
Got a jvc sk-303(c) for 20$ today. In fact, the guy gave a Sansui 661 with the speakers that's why I decided to spend 20 bucks for these speakers, considering that it's a good price for the 661. He said that the Sansui had one dead channel. I took it home, changed 2 fuses and it sings darn well in stereo again lol.
I really didn't care about the sk-303, but when I hooked them, I was surprised how they are very decent speakers. Mids and highs are very nice, lows are not as deep and pleasant as those from my Audiosphere AX-475 for the same woofer size (12"). They seem to my ears a little bit muddy comparing to the Audiosphere. But definitely, the jvc are not junk. On the sticker in the back of the speakers, we can see designed by Victor of Japan, made in Canada. I guess why they called SK-303 (C), C for canadian version.
I did a quick listening to them with a Pioneer sx780 amp. I would try with my other amps later (Sansui 661, Sony str-6800SD, Pioneer 434). Maybe with the 661 and the 434 the bass would be better. I've always found that the sx-780 sounded a little bit "thin" comparing to the sx-434, the Sansui and even the Superscope r-1240 (yeah, another amp of mine. I didn't dare to confess that I have it. A very surprisingly nice sounding little amp).

Parsec
03-21-2012, 04:12 PM
Update today. Hook them with the Sansui 661. Sounding ok like yesterday, excepted that I forgot something. They have been stored by the seller for a while until I got them play yesterday. So I put a Teac cd player as source and let it play while I had a nap. Woke up and suddenly realized that the sound was so much better. Lower ends were more extended, more articulated, no more muddiness. Ella Fitzgerald's voice singing Cole Porter's songs was so sweet. Excellent imaging and the speakers disappeared. Then I tried some pop and rock and I couldn't stop until my wife came home and asked if the lunch had been prepared.
I forgot the "break in" factor! ok I understand now why wrcraw1965 was so positive about these sk-303. He is so right. They are amazingly good.

tubeboob
03-21-2012, 04:16 PM
I only have experience with their turntables, and the QL-F4 is good while the QL-Y66F is superb.

Cheers

Sprague
10-05-2012, 04:03 AM
SX-3 II

just spotted in local recycle shop. 4,000 yen.

Look solid.

1974 retailed for 36,000 yen?

Goddamn, I think I need to go back...

http://audio-heritage.jp/VICTOR/Speaker/sx-3ii.JPG

petethemadma
11-19-2012, 09:14 PM
These are my main speakers at this present time--20/11/2012.they are wonderful.

frankxbe
11-19-2012, 10:06 PM
JVC was founded in 1927 as "The Victor Talking Machine Company of Japan, Limited," a subsidiary of the United States' leading phonograph and record company, the Victor Talking Machine Company. In 1929 majority ownership was transferred to RCA-Victor. In the 1930s JVC produced phonographs and records. In 1932, JVC started producing radios, and in 1939 Japan's first locally-made television. JVC severed relations with its foreign partners during World War II. Today the record company in Japan is known as Victor Entertainment.

In 1953, JVC became majority-owned by the Panasonic Corporation. Panasonic released its ownership in 2007.

In 1971, JVC introduced the first discrete system for four channel quadraphonic sound on vinyl records - CD-4 (Compatible Discrete Four Channel) or Quadradisc, as it was called by the Radio Corporation of America (RCA) in the United States.[citation needed]

In 1975, JVC introduced the first combined portable battery-operated radio with inbuilt TV, as the model 3050. The TV was a 3-inch (7.6 cm) black-and-white cathode ray tube. One year later, JVC expanded the model to add a cassette-recorder, as the 3060, creating the world's first boom box with radio, cassette and TV.[citation needed

In 1976, the first VCR to use VHS was the Victor HR-3300, and was introduced by the president of JVC at the Okura Hotel on September 9, 1976. JVC started selling the HR-3300 in Akihabara, Tokyo, Japan on October 31, 1976. Region-specific versions of the JVC HR-3300 were also distributed later on, such as the HR-3300U in the United States, and HR-3300EK in the United Kingdom.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JVC

Back to Speakers JVC made aversion or some versions of the famous RCA LC1 ,LC1A etc that started approx. 1948 and went into the 70's

Here is a post from mosin Manufacturer at Audio Asylum about the RCA LC1 series speakers that was pretty interesting

"They made it 1948-1953'ish. The famous pro use "furnace" cabinet was available for your driver.

Then, in 1954, they made the RCA LC1A. Both of those models had a power handling capacity of 20W, but the new "A" had the seven diffuser cones and the butterfly. It was also made available for consumer use with a couple of new cabinets available. I have the LS11 model cabinets. Two amplifiers were designed with the speaker in mind. See my gallery for one of them. I was lucky enough to find a nice pair of those mono blocks.

Fast forward to the 1970's, and the RCA LC1C was made, so that more power could be used. It would handle 200W because of a new tweeter design which was the first time that Kapton was ever used in a speaker. The new tweeters used it as a voice coil former. The sound remains essentially the same as the 1A.

I don't know about a Model 1B. I don't think one exists. If it does, I have never seen it.

By the way, all of the speaker varieties are capable of reaching orchestral levels with only 5W.

The photo is because I wanted to show a different version, so those unfamiliar will understand what we are talking about. This driver is one of mine that is a RCA LC1A, which has been upgraded to a 1C. The looks of it haven't changed because the differences between the 1A and 1C affect the tweeter only, and are all internal."
http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=speakers&m=306714&VT=T

Here are two pictures one of a JVC variant and one of an RCA
original . The loose speaker is the RCA. The RCA are said be collectible and some say they sound very good.
The RCA had a tweeter in the center and was a full range . The JVC looks like a woofer but a similar cone.
the RCA's were used in studios and also sold as consumer models

GD70
11-19-2012, 10:07 PM
My dad has the GB-1E's. Omnidirectional speakers. He's the original owner along with the 5003 receiver. Those speakers are wonderful and still sound great. Surprisingly deep bass. I hope to own a pair of these some day. They periodically show up on line for sale and usually command good cash, especially when in good undented condition. They have fabric surrounds as well.

burgerbob
11-20-2012, 12:57 AM

These speakers (the image in the original post, it didn't make it here) look almost exactly like my Hitachi 3-ways...

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g230/burgerbob22/CIMG0599-1.jpg

They are not that great.

leesonic
11-20-2012, 05:55 AM

WOW! I wish I could hear speakers just by looking at them, it would save me a whole lot of time.

Same goes for cars, I wish I could see hidden rust from an 800x600 picture. Don't knock it, a lot of the wankers that lurk on the "bring a trailer" web site appear to be able to spot rust from pictures...

Lee.

GD70
11-20-2012, 01:47 PM
These are my main speakers at this present time--20/11/2012.they are wonderful.

I want those!:boink::ntwrthy:

petethemadma
11-21-2012, 02:26 PM
HOWDY GD70,IF YOU WOULD LIKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE BIG VICTOR ZERO 1000'S TRY THIS LINK....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO4x-RNb_Zg&feature=plcp

GD70
11-21-2012, 07:49 PM
HOWDY GD70,IF YOU WOULD LIKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE BIG VICTOR ZERO 1000'S TRY THIS LINK....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO4x-RNb_Zg&feature=plcp

Yes, I have seen this, several times! Awesome! I have yet to see the Zero 1000's listed for sale but I'm always on the lookout!

Thanks for the link though.

Cheers!

petethemadma
11-21-2012, 08:49 PM
Mate,if you ever come across a pair of the zero's any waiting you had(there might be a lengthy wait--or lucky strike),monies thrown together, arguments with the wife or whomever,obstacles ect. All will be forgotten....they are simply unique....when i say the pioneer 955's are magnificent (which they are)...the victors are '''extra''' magnificent...hope all goes well,cheers pete

GD70
11-22-2012, 12:27 PM
Mate,if you ever come across a pair of the zero's any waiting you had(there might be a lengthy wait--or lucky strike),monies thrown together, arguments with the wife or whomever,obstacles ect. All will be forgotten....they are simply unique....when i say the pioneer 955's are magnificent (which they are)...the victors are '''extra''' magnificent...hope all goes well,cheers pete

I'll keep looking. Curious how the Zero 1000's stack up against JBL 4312, L112, and the like. I'm currently saving for some JBL's which are plentiful.

petethemadma
11-22-2012, 06:07 PM
HOWDY MATE,I HAVE A FRIEND WHO HAS BEEN COLLECTING AUDIO FOR 30 YEARS AS A PRIVATE COLLECTOR AND FOR RE-SALE.HE HAS SOLD MANY OF JBL 4312, L112,MODELS.HE TELLS ME ALTHOUGH GOOD AT WHAT THEY DO IF HE MADE UP AN IMAGINARY SCALE AND PUT THE VICTOR 1000'S AT '10' THE JBL L112'S WOULD BE ABOUT A '2'....STANDING NEXT TO THE PIONEER 955'S WOULD BE ABOUT A '3'...I HOPE THIS HELPS...REGARDS PETER....ANOTHER VIDEO I DID LAST NIGHT... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT9bf95rmgI&feature=plcp

dc270
11-22-2012, 06:51 PM
I never liked the look of those "blister cone" woofers....but damn if they did not sound good! JVC struck me as the odd man out, but did have surprizing quality from time to time. I have their A-X901 receiver and think it to be the best 120wpc integrated I have owned to date! Super smooth sound, sensible features, pounds well into the next weight class. Would love a matching Cassette or tuner one day.
DC

GD70
11-23-2012, 01:44 PM
HOWDY MATE,I HAVE A FRIEND WHO HAS BEEN COLLECTING AUDIO FOR 30 YEARS AS A PRIVATE COLLECTOR AND FOR RE-SALE.HE HAS SOLD MANY OF JBL 4312, L112,MODELS.HE TELLS ME ALTHOUGH GOOD AT WHAT THEY DO IF HE MADE UP AN IMAGINARY SCALE AND PUT THE VICTOR 1000'S AT '10' THE JBL L112'S WOULD BE ABOUT A '2'....STANDING NEXT TO THE PIONEER 955'S WOULD BE ABOUT A '3'...I HOPE THIS HELPS...REGARDS PETER....ANOTHER VIDEO I DID LAST NIGHT... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT9bf95rmgI&feature=plcp

I haven't heard either speakers but I'm quite surprised the Zero 1000's would sound that much better than the JBL's, especially since the JBL's were sound studio standards for so long. How did you buddy describe the differences?

TebbieBear
11-23-2012, 02:01 PM
Does it turn into a robot?

Does it turn into a stereo?

petethemadma
11-23-2012, 06:04 PM
HOWDY AGAIN,HAD A CHAT TO MY MATE AND HE INFORMS ME THAT THE COMPARISON BETWEEN THE JBL-L112'S AND VICTOR/PIONEER'S IN QUESTION IS THE L112'S ARE SIMPLY NOT AT THEIR STANDARD.HE TELLS ME A MORE REALISTIC COMPARISON WOULD BE L112'S TO YAMAHA NS-1000M'S. AS YOU KNOW I HAVE NOT HEARD THE JBL'S BUT I HAVE LISTENED ON MANY OCCASIONS TO THE NS-1000M'S -VERY CLEAN,EXTRACTIVE,DETAILED WITH LIGHT BASS-BUT NO DYNAMICS.THE VICTOR/PIONEER'S HAVE THIS HUGE WIDE AND DYNAMIC PRESENTATION THAT PUTS THE NS'S IN ANOTHER CATEGORY.....I'VE INCLUDED ANOTHER LINK WHERE AT ABOUT THE 6 MIN. MARK I SWITCH BETWEEN THE 955'S AND ZERO 1000'S.THE VIDEO IS DONE WITH A HAND HELD CAMCORD SO DON'T EXPECT TO MUCH AND DEPENDANT UPON YOUR PC'S SOUND SYSTEM...IN THE MEANTIME HAVE A GREAT DAY...PETER....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvcVmFaH9vk&feature=plcp

Celt
11-23-2012, 07:45 PM
Pete, your posts would be easier to read if you'd let off the "caps lock". :)

petethemadma
11-23-2012, 08:28 PM
done deal mate....regards pete

GD70
11-24-2012, 09:25 AM
HOWDY AGAIN,HAD A CHAT TO MY MATE AND HE INFORMS ME THAT THE COMPARISON BETWEEN THE JBL-L112'S AND VICTOR/PIONEER'S IN QUESTION IS THE L112'S ARE SIMPLY NOT AT THEIR STANDARD.HE TELLS ME A MORE REALISTIC COMPARISON WOULD BE L112'S TO YAMAHA NS-1000M'S. AS YOU KNOW I HAVE NOT HEARD THE JBL'S BUT I HAVE LISTENED ON MANY OCCASIONS TO THE NS-1000M'S -VERY CLEAN,EXTRACTIVE,DETAILED WITH LIGHT BASS-BUT NO DYNAMICS.THE VICTOR/PIONEER'S HAVE THIS HUGE WIDE AND DYNAMIC PRESENTATION THAT PUTS THE NS'S IN ANOTHER CATEGORY.....I'VE INCLUDED ANOTHER LINK WHERE AT ABOUT THE 6 MIN. MARK I SWITCH BETWEEN THE 955'S AND ZERO 1000'S.THE VIDEO IS DONE WITH A HAND HELD CAMCORD SO DON'T EXPECT TO MUCH AND DEPENDANT UPON YOUR PC'S SOUND SYSTEM...IN THE MEANTIME HAVE A GREAT DAY...PETER....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvcVmFaH9vk&feature=plcp

Hi Pete,

Enjoyed your video.
Obviously hard to distinguish between the two speakers from a hand held camcorder, but I get the idea. Connected to my MAC PRO Tower, I have my JVC R-S77 connected to Realistic Minimus 7's and a Optimus PRO SW-12 Sub. Sounds pretty good compared to a small set of PC speakers.

I will certainly keep an eye out for the Zero 1000's. Eventually I'd love the JBL's Studio Monitors as well the Zero 1000's side by side. Nirvana in my opinion!
Cheers, Glenn

petethemadma
11-24-2012, 11:28 AM
Howdy Glenn,very nice pc setup. My zero's are from japan,they were released as---Victor Zero 1000---In the good old USA they were released as---JVC Zero 10---same speaker box,just a different model name...worth knowing in case you missed one...pete.

GD70
11-24-2012, 01:34 PM
Howdy Glenn,very nice pc setup. My zero's are from japan,they were released as---Victor Zero 1000---In the good old USA they were released as---JVC Zero 10---same speaker box,just a different model name...worth knowing in case you missed one...pete.

Thanks for the info Pete!

HiDive
09-15-2013, 04:13 PM
Just reading this thread and i just wondered if anyone had any info on the SK-90...sep high and mid adjustment dials and what looks like a titanium tweet. Only info i could find was Dave Grohl selling a pair...lol

mikeybc
09-15-2013, 05:05 PM
Just reading this thread and i just wondered if anyone had any info on the SK-90...sep high and mid adjustment dials and what looks like a titanium tweet. Only info i could find was Dave Grohl selling a pair...lol

Read here

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=350479

stirliz
11-10-2013, 04:48 PM
Gentelmen, just scored a JVC SX-911 Superdigifine. Will report later how I found their sound.

A pic first: See post below.

markshan
11-10-2013, 05:52 PM

That was exactly what I thought when I first saw Pioneer HPM-100s.

GD70
11-10-2013, 07:26 PM
That was exactly what I thought when I first saw Pioneer HPM-100s.

You can't always judge a book by it's cover.

Earlier in the thread I mentioned my dad's GB-1E's. Well, he gave them to me last week! They are really nice sounding speakers. Initially, they were ok, but as I listen to them more, they are sounding much better. I think not being used for years, they needed to be loosened up. I'm very happy!

markshan
11-10-2013, 08:41 PM
You can't always judge a book by it's cover.

Yes, that was exactly my point.

stirliz
11-12-2013, 06:39 AM
Update.

Imust say that these have one of the finest mid-high resolution and Imaging I have ever heard.:banana:

Needles to mention, they look super gorgeous. It's a shame, so few of those were sold in Europe. Mine traveled all the way from Switzerland to Germany, as they are non-obtanium here. I assume, they have cost ton of buck back in days in Europe.

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af80/stirliz/Audiostuff/JVCSX-911_zps374a3687.jpg

petethemadma
11-12-2013, 07:07 AM
Well done and enjoyment guaranteed.

stirliz
11-12-2013, 07:33 AM
Well done and enjoyment guaranteed.

Man, your Zero-10 look massive :) I would love to hear those.
P.S. One negative thing I have noticed about the 911 is that they are a bit heavy on 100 HZ region. Can you confirm this?

Cheers,

StirliZ.

petethemadma
11-12-2013, 02:38 PM
HOWDY,For me the range of bass 40-500 hz is very well defined which i like.I'm a blues/jazz man the only instrument i've ever played is ''Air Bass''.I recently changed the original cloth type surrounds on the bass drivers as i had noticed a limitation in their range reflected by a reduced movement in the cone at touch.The originals were becoming taught as opposed to fraying.They now merrily dance their range as intended.Certainly i can confirm they are 'bassy' speakers and well defined 'imaging' through the top...regards Peter P.S.-If you ever come across a pair of zero 10's/1000's it's like being down the ''šop shop''',you don't know nothin',tell no one untill you have them at home,for they are a work of art.

Unabubba
11-12-2013, 03:32 PM
Have an RX5000V AV receiver in the garage, as it's one weakness is that it's not the best shielded AV receiver I've come across.

Outside of that, it is seriously overbuilt. To date, it is the only receiver that has held up to garage duty for a decade. Every couple years I do open it up and blow out the pollen and dust with some compressed air. Beyond that, it has been completely painless and operated flawlessly in ridiculous humidity, heavy dust, sawdust, etc.

Will ditto many other sentiments here. May not be the greatest gear, but it is well built. One thing you have to give JVC, at least they could invent and innovate. Put them well ahead of many Japanese companies of the day.

MomirPeh
05-27-2014, 12:07 PM
I'd like to get back to the original topic/question, just for reference. I know that this is reviving an old thread, but I recently got a pair of the JVC SK-600sII speakers. I can tell that they sound like a decent performers. Original drivers still inside, recently refoamed 10" bass driver rated at 70W max. Tweeters rated at 120W! Cabinets are built like a tank. Crossovers are 1st order it seems... One coil for bass, coil and a cap for mid (iron core coils both) and a single cap for tweeter. Changed the original caps in crossovers, since they were old. I used polypropylene caps instead. That improved the mids and highs considerably.
I'm very pleased with the sound they make.
But, I'd like to build some proper crossovers for them, maybe 2nd order. Is there a way to calculate the cutoff frequencies based on the elements in these crossovers? Please, point me in the right direction. I can measure the coils and give the values if anyone is willing to help.
Also, I thought to replace the fiberglass cushion damping material with ridged sound foam and glue it to the inside of the cabinets. Good idea?

Thanks in advance!