View Full Version : thiel 03A speakers

the captain
04-11-2006, 08:21 AM
Good Morning AKers: It seems like the only time that I post here is when I want advice. I lurk almost daily but I dont know enough to say much. I have found some Thiel 03A speakers and know very little about them. I have read the name Thiel in the past, I have always associated the nam ewith large $$$$. These are for sale about an hour from where I live for $100.00 Wouild this be a good deal? What are some of your opinion on these speakers? I would drive them with a pristine Sui 9090db. What do you think?

bully
04-11-2006, 08:24 AM
Thiel's for a hundred bucks, run quick and get them!
MSRP $1300. Does he have the EQ?

the captain
04-11-2006, 07:29 PM
the Thiel 03A requires the use of a propriatary equalizer?What do you guys know about these speakers? I can find very little about this model on the web.I assume from Bully's enthusiasm that these are not Bose clones. They are about 50 miles from me. I suppose I should go look at them but I am interested to know more about them before I actually talk to the guy. Help me out guys.

Cap

bolly
04-11-2006, 07:33 PM
the captain, lesson #1... if somebody has a pair of speakers that cost $1300US when new and are offered to you for $100US... you go and pay the man a visit and have a listen. :)

the captain
04-13-2006, 02:13 PM
I have spoken to the owner of the thiel's again. They do not have the equalizer. He says that he bought them new and they did not come with one. He says the cabinets are still really pretty, the woofers need refoaming.Talked with a guy who works at Thiel and of course he says that they did come with an equalizer but one would be easy to build.Any way now the owner says he will take $50.00 for them. I am going to look at them tommorow.The speakers are in Lexington about 15 minutes from the Tiel factory. It could be good. They also could be stolen. Stay tuned

Texas42
04-13-2006, 02:26 PM
The 03As were one of Theil's earliest speakers, which then gave way to the CS3s which were built in the mid 80s. I used to own a pair of CS2's, theil slightly smaller brother. Thiels preach time and phase coherency with the time aligned drivers. They are unusually accurate although they require proper amplificiation and exact set up to get them right. WELL worth $50. Great craftmanship on the woodwork too. I went to their factory once on a visit in the late 80s in Lexington, KY. Very interesting to watch their process. Theil's tend to be a bit bright for my tastes but I'm told the speakers just 'reveal' what is upstream. I guess I didn't like what was upstream when I had them....but still nice speakers. Find them and enjoy!

onepixel
04-13-2006, 08:09 PM
For $50 grab them now. I think those were around $600 when they first came out. I have some 04a and they are sweet. Incredible sound stage and bass for tiny little drivers. But I never knew that the 03a had an equalizer. Have to check on mine. My speaker guys told me old Thiels of that vintage still go for $350+.

SleeperSupra
04-19-2006, 10:52 AM
If you don't want them let me know. I will buy them...

centaurus3200
07-14-2006, 05:23 PM
i'm picking up a pair this weekend. curious as to your thoughts.

not sure if they have the eq. although not optimum, i could try my friend's old mcintosh eq.

thanks,
Robby